WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2013

Options

Replies

• grannybitbit
    Options
    Hello all, keep the encouraging comments coming. I'm new to my fitness pal thanks to my diatician..:flowerforyou.
    Dont really know how all of this work but do plan to read comments often. I am sure it will help keep me encouraged
    along my journey to becoming healthier. I am 57 years young, wt 270 have 2 children and 3 grand girls. My plan is to loose at least
    50 pounds off of my 5'6" frame to take some of the pressure off of my knees, to avold knee surgery, and to spend more time with my grand girls shopping and walking the mall. any suggestions will be appreciated.

grannybitbit
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Hi again!

Joyce, I must just congratulate you. Well done and welcome to Onderland! :flowerforyou:

We planted our veg this evening when it had cooled down a tiny bit.. Still hot on the hottest day of the year. The most difficult and tiring bit was getting the string all over the two patches to keep the pigeons off. I could never have done it last year and I was dripping and my back was aching. Now it's just going to be nightly watering.:sad: I hope it's worth it. But we get sooooo much pleasure when it does work. Even one or two of my failed garlic almost have developed cloves! ! Our salad is still going strong and I have just planted some more which is showing already. Nowdays, with your help, I think of the lugging of watering cans about as valuable exercise!:laugh: :tongue: Our geraniums are a sight to behold this year. Last year they were all rotting and black with all the rain.

One of you is a great bird feeder I remember. Today DH took delivery of 48 lbs of mixed bird seed and 28 lbs of niger seed along with yet another huge storage box. We have 6 goldfinches on our feeder at once along with many other varieties of garden and woodland birds. They must be the best fed birds in Hampshire. All had families this year. Sometimes we have two young brother woodpeckers on the peanuts at once. It is such a great pleasure, sitting in our living room and watching the antics in the garden. It is something we did not anticipate when we moved into the countryside. I think we have finally defeated the squirrels with the design of the feeders, but they were certainly persistent!:grumble: Amazing intelligence.

Oh well, hope my baby plants survive the night and I don't wake up to a pigeon led devastation. It would be wonderful to have our own brussels sprouts on the table at Christmas. Two years ago the purple sprouting broccoli was fantastic, this spring they were very disappointing with all the cold and rain. Gardening is an act of faith and occasionally a miracle !

Under calories tonight so I'm still hoping for my own little miracle on the scales tomorrow.

Love from Heather in HOT Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Heather I think you mike be talking about me, but I have a heck of a way to go to ever catch up to you birder's :wink:
    Im what you call a bird nerd, and proud of it..
    just poppin in to say howdy and will fill you all in once I get back from the podiatrist...
    still hotter than the shades of hati's here in Ct, with no relief in sight..
    I ordered my DH birthday present today.. I bought him 2 - windmill palm tree's -and they are hardy enough to withstand zone 6 which we are in, couldn't afford the massive ones, but got 2 in 3 gallon pots.. some special planting soil and a 1 yr warranty on them..
    Hope he likes them..
    :bigsmile:
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Seems that everyone is having this never ending heat. We are under an extreme heat alert just in case you don't feel it when you walk outside :laugh: It was so hot that we were sent home from work early...darn :happy:

I've been using my new fitbit for almost a week and it certainly is making me more aware that I need to move more. It also is confirming that I don't sleep well at night. My DD loves hers too. She is doing so well with the weight loss, so very proud of her.

Joyce - congrats on onederland, I can't wait for that :smile:

M. I have a friend in northern part of NY, she is actually farther north then I am. She gets much more snow then I do in the winter even though I'm in Canada :happy:

grandmallie - good luck at the podiatrist, I hope he helps.

Heather - sounds like you have quite the vegetable garden, I'm jealous as I live in an apartment :wink:

grannybitbit - welcome to the group, it's a great bunch of women.

On the weekend I finally gave in and ordered a tablet. I've been looking at them for a long time. Yesterday I track it online and it says that it's been delivered to the store. yay, I was so excited to finally get it and play with it (yup I'm a tech nerd). I called the store to confirm that it was there and they said they don't have it. I called the post office and they say they delivered it. hmph :noway: The store was not helpful and said that I have to wait to see if it turns up. I called head office customer service and I was basically told the same thing. I'm so frustrated but nothing I can do about it for 5 - 7 business days. I'm glad I haven't paid for it yet.

I was able to get my treadmill in before dinner so I get to relax tonight, yes Meg R-E-L-A-X :laugh: It is something I've had to learn to do myself. My bad knees have slowed me down a bit

I'm going to try and get to bed early tonight. Hope everyone is staying cool and hydrated.

:heart: Sandy from Ontario
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Our internet was down all day for who-knows-why then suddenly around 4 package just showed up on the porch from Quest containing a new modem, which DH installed, and bingo…there’s the internet! I was worried I’d have to start my day count over!

It was a hot one today; 94 with heat index of 98. I stayed in mostly except to go see my dad and to swim. I bought new goggles and thought I had them adjusted, but they were way too tight still. Halfway through I had this headache and started to take them off, which really hurt. That’s when I realized. I still have big red rings around my eyes!

Grandmallie: boy I hope that situation with FIL gets resolved soon. DH’s plantar fascitis is caused by a heel spur but he doesn’t want any more surgery!

Jfenner: welcome aboard!

Barbie: I too set some small goals for cleaning and arranging and you’re right; the feeling of accomplishment is great no matter how small the challenge!

Rhonda: what a nice neighbor you have!

Terri: I am enjoying swimming too. I used to be competitive in high school and college, but pretty much dropped it after that. I forgot how much I enjoy it.

Ohiomomm: good to see you again!

Gail: when the cat’s away the mice will play? LOL Hope you got to the gym ok.

DeeDee: sorry about your appliance death! I’m afraid to tell you how old my fridge is for fear it will hear me then die!

Deb: each time I read about your kayaking adventures I am jealous. I did kayak once in the ocean and loved it. We want to get some kayaks…hopefully next summer!

Katla: how frustrating!!! I hate all those providers. Wish everything could be over the air like in the “good old days” LOL

Heather: good news for DSD! I read that Wimbledon’s men’s champion was British! Yay for you guys across the pond! I have a great recipe for spinach feta pizza; sounds kind of like your recipe!

Janemartin: stay cool!

Pat: wonder if “tree trimming” is in the exercise data base!

Jb: I did think you were running the stairs between the bleachers, and don’t diminish that accomplishment! Even if you’re walking them slowly, that’s more than I could do. I get dizzy just looking at them LOL! Yes, thanks I did read your comment about the delphinums and cutting them. Next year I’m going to plant more back behind the garden. I have these little bitty ones back there that are very small with lacy leaves; they are not at all like the others I have (which look like yours). If they live, I’m replacing them with the “real” ones.

Joyce: I often have “committee” meetings in my head at night. I have to resort to telling all those people to get out of my room and go sit outside and I’ll talk to them later. OK now that you all think I am totally insane…….

Robin: great to hear from you and to know that you are enjoying your job! You deserve it!

M: good for you to go for a walk at the end of the day when you don’t “need” it. I try hard to stay away from fast food, but I have a weakness for it. But I have been very good lately (for the most part) having subway or the egg white delight at mcdonalds when I do go. But boy I love a big juicy burger from burger King….ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now I will be thinking about it!

Janie: take care of that knee!

Grannybitbit: welcome aboard and I love your name!

Heather: I think I may be the great birdfeeder! I do love my birds! I have 16 feeders of different sorts in the backyard. But maybe you are thinking of Grandmallie… she likes birds too I think.

OK ladies…off to get the rest of my steps in and do another row in the closet. I am really cleaning that thing out and have tons of clothes to throw away. Well to give to goodwill. I’m sure when we vacuum in all the nooks and crannies we will have enough hair for yet another cat!

Take care, Meg from hot and steamy Omaha
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well just had one heck of a thunderstorm and they said a cold front is behind it, so far...NO... still humid and hot!

Sandy hope you get your Tablet, I got one last week and am enjoying it not much of a techy but fun to learn new things, we have a recumbent bike and it makes the time spent on it go faster while playing on the tablet, killing 2 birds with one stone as they say helping body and mind!
    Joyce so great you got to onederland congradulations!
    Hoping everyone not feeling well gets better soon, too hot to be sick as well!
    Wishing all a goodnite

Juanita in sudbury
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Today was the monthly lunch with my line dance friends. We went to a restaurant whose menu was full of breaded and fried foods and many things that I don’t eat (beef, pork, avocado, white bread etc,) but after careful reading, I figured out that I could order a broiled chicken breast and sliced tomatoes.

:flowerforyou: Rhonda, what an amazing thoughtful neighbor you have

:flowerforyou: Terri, congrats on your return to swimming….most of my exercise is walking so I log a lot more steps than people who swim, bike, kayak, do yoga, or any other non-step activities.

:flowerforyou: A thought about giving away “too big” clothing….. I reached my goal weight several years ago and gave away all my “too large” clothes. This morning when I was getting dressed I had a sudden huge burst of sadness about some favorite shirts that have been gone for years. I love my new size, but giving the big stuff away was traumatic. ..but do it anyway.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, congrats on your new washer and dryer…….I’m sure they’ll be on your gratitude list along with the fact that you had the money to buy them.

:flowerforyou: Deb, how great that you have kayaking to keep you cool and fit at the same time.

:flowerforyou: Pat, our last “nasty letter” from the powers that be in our neighborhood was about the moss on our roof and we ended up replacing the roof for over nine thousand dollars. I hope it doesn’t cost that much to trim your trees.

:bigsmile: Robin, I’m glad to hear your job is going well.

:flowerforyou: :yawn: M, I am a light sleeper, too, and I know how hard it is to get back to sleep in the middle of the night. It sounds like you make the best of a bad situation

:flowerforyou: Janie, my chiropractor says “ice is your friend”…..have you tried ice on your knee?

:flowerforyou: Grannybitbit, welcome….how this works is you log food and exercise every day, look for ways to improve the quality of your eating and the effectiveness of your exercise and stay connected to this thread for motivation, support, and encouragement……do not be discouraged

:flowerforyou: Jb, whatever steps or stairs you’re running, I am in awe…..I don’t run, although I will walk up and down stairs with no trouble.

:flowerforyou: Meg, the closest I get to fast food is Subway and I do that reluctantly.

:bigsmile: I got up early, walked the dogs, went to an early meeting, went to line dance, then to lunch, came home and worked on dances for the class I teach on Friday, walked the dogs again, finished the daily squat and plank challenge, spent some time kicking back with Jake and the dogs……..skipped working in the yard……and walked the dogs once more before bedtime.:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

:heart: Barbie from warm, windy, and sunny NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Man, oh man -- storming here like crazy tonight. The dog is 'protecting' me very well.

My boss left for the airport around 3:15p and apparently didn't leave ATL until well after 8pm. I was at the office from about 7:30a til 5:15p, then went to the gym and did weights, plus a little cardio. Then I did a bit more cardio at home to earn my chocolate chip cookie.

DH just got home, so off to be sociable.

Gail, metro ATL
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening all,

Thanks to everyone for all the congratulations on reaching my goal; on to maintaining! Hot and humid here too. Going out to visit my DD at the college where she is working for the summer this weekend so I'll probably not be online at all. Should be cooler in the mountains around Blacksburg.................I'm hoping.

Vicki.......I smiled when you said you would kick the shed; I thought of that myself!

Pat....for the entire time we lived in S.C. we lived in base housing----I know just how you feel; I would get those "nastygrams" if the grass was a millimeter too high.....I used to swear they measured it with a ruler at night

Grandmallie........looking forward (as I'm sure YOU are too) for what the podiatrist says

Dee Dee........I'll stick with the top loaders too when I replace; have a very old Maytag that has been through numerous moves and is working fine so far at almost 30 yrs.; not such good luck with dryers, though

Rhonda.........yeah, that neighbor is a keeper!! In fact, send him my way.......

Joyce.......WOW!!! down 4" and still below 200----must be doing something right......WTG!!!

Janie.........hope you've gotten some answers on your knee and it's nothing major.........

On the TV provider discussion...........we have DISH, and they have been pretty good; we usually end up watching something on Netflix anyway these days

Meg........on a trip or in a pinch, I've been known to stop at a grocery rather than fast food and pick up a yogurt or a piece of fruit and one of those 100 cal. portions of nuts to tide me over...........my fast food pic at Arby's: Arby's french dip minus the cheese using only half the bun is about 300 cals---not too bad........

Heather........hoping your DH is more relaxed after his therapist visit; anxiety is such a horribly draining emotion.........there's no doubt in my mind that you will reach that body fat goal you are aiming for!..........I'm one of the birders of the thread too; have not defeated the squirrels here---they are way too fat and happy, although I have been known to burst through the door (when very frustrated with them) yelling "Run for your life" and flinging gardening implements at them.

I leave you all with that image!
    yanniejannie
  • janie12835
    janie12835 Posts: 75
    Options
    Good news, doctor has said to just go easy with the knee – there are no obvious tears. I can use the level of Aleve that's keeping pain at bay for a while longer without a problem. So, walking more today, will try and get to the gym tonight during the infamous “I want a snack” period and at least do some circuit training. Tomorrow, a modified version of Leslie's 3 mile - maybe I'll just walk around the house while she talks :laugh:
    Hearing about the birders got me thinking about my own bird situation. I presently have birds in my chimney – good grief! :angry: They get noisy at the oddest times & DH has been working out of town most of this year. No way am I getting up on the roof to check things out from there. Also have a hanging basket that I’m afraid to move. I picked it up at the store to add a little color at the back of the house (red, white, & purple). I took it out of the car & gave it a good watering, then left it on the driveway. Expected to move it the next morning, but when dog & I walked out for our morning constitutional, there were 2 hummingbirds checking it out. I think I’ve heard not to move humming bird feeders if you want them to return so that basket may now end up hanging there from one of the recessed Christmas light hooks. I also frequently get to see a pair of hawks (or bald eagles – need to bring field glasses with me to be certain) when dog and I are walking. So marvelous to watch them riding the thermals.:love:

grannybitbit - feel welcome to read along or post, whichever suits you. Yes, these ladies will keep encouraging you and giving suggestions should you ask. For example, I know most everyone here says they’ve benefited from using the food & exercise diaries. It’s amazing what you discover about the foods you’ve been eating. I like having a food scale, too, since I didn’t have a great feel for how much one serving or portion was. I like telling everyone here what my plan is for exercising, or whatever; it adds an extra level of accountability that helps keep me on track. Hope to see/hear more from you. :smile:

Heather – it sure is exercise when a gallon of water weighs over 8 lbs.!Crossed fingers for that “little miracle” in the AM.:drinker:

Sandy – sorry it’s that hot still. I think all of these devices we can use are wonderful. I’m using a bodymedia armband that tells me number of steps taken, intensity levels of activity, how well I sleep, and more. My nephew started using one, talking me into joining him on a better health journey, and we are checking in with each other via Facebook. He’s shooting for better health by his November birthday; I’m shooting for next year’s August birthday.

Meg – glad you got to swim. I wish there was a pool somewhere close, it’d be much easier on my knees to water-walk but the nearest one is over 20 miles away!

Juanita – I just got a tablet, too! I haven’t even taken it out of the box yet. My sister, way more techie than me, just found a deal on one for her DH & told me about it. I decided it was time to upgrade from my laptop & besides, I have a birthday coming up & my DH always loves when I tell him I’ve found the perfect thing for him to give me.

Barbie – I’m always amazed when you write about everything you do in a single day. Very inspiring!

Gail – good workout, I’m sure the dog will make sure you stay safe.

yanniejannie - I LOVE that image, look out squirrels – here she comes!

:bigsmile: Happy evening, all, off to the gym time I think. :bigsmile:
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday evening ladies...
    Wow, took forever to read the posts - so many and so much news.

YannieJannie - CONGRATULATIONS....

Suzy - I was lucky enough to inherit the raspberry canes from the previous owner of my house. All I had to do was prune and arch them so that they became productive again. I'm having a hard time keeping up with them but i love fresh berries and so enjoy them every day they are in season.

Heather - I copied a fruitsicle recipe (I think either JB or M) so if that was the one, here it is

SUMMER POPS
    Ingredients:
    3 cups watermelon puree (seedless if possible)
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
    1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
    1 peach or nectarine, diced small
    handful fresh cherries, pitted and chopped

Cut the watermelon into chunks and then puree it in a blender until smooth. Set aside.

Set out about 1 dozen popsicle molds (amount needed will vary depending on size of molds). Fill each one with the chopped fresh fruit. Then pour in the watermelon puree until each mold is full to the top. Place a popsicle stick into each one. Place into your freezer and freeze for about 6 to 8 hours.

Oops, my computer has decided it needs to do update right now so I will sign off and check in again tomorrow or Friday.
    Have a great evening and enjoy your summer (even the hot humid bits).
    Lila in the Kootenays
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Bump for tomorrow. Hope it is a better day.
  • janie12835
    janie12835 Posts: 75
    Options
    Home again, home again, hippity hop! I always feel so good when I go to the gym in the evening. The added bonus is there's not many other people there, but enough to make sure I don't wimp out and quit part way through :-b Did longer but slower on the treadmill - 45 minutes at 2.5 MPH. That was my concession to the knee but I ended with 5 minutes at 3% incline. Never got to 80% of heart rate - it's okay since I still went. Did abs, too. Home now icing the knee to keep it happy. Yea, me!! :bigsmile:

Joyce - hope you get a good night's sleep :happy:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    morning ladies, been up since 4;30 am, no exercise , gonna hop in the shower and then take the pups for a walk. then off to the podiatrist. it is supposed to hit 100 here in central Connecticut so will keep the boys in the ac.
    I am hoping I get some answers to what will help me get rid of the heel and foot pain, I want to get back to working out and walking and losing weight. .
    check back with ya'll later:wink:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Good luck Grandmalie! :flowerforyou:

I woke up with a sore knee this morning. I think it's protesting at the veg planting and anti pigeon stringing! It didn't interfere with our gymming, but it's just a bit stiff and clicky. :grumble:

The good news is my new veg are all there and looking perky this morning. The bad news is my ounces are still clinging on.:sad: Patience is a virtue, my mother used to say.

DH had a better night. Still up early, but not looking so stressed. He has been doing his "homework" this am that the therapist set him. He's off to see her after lunch. He has lost .5 lb since he last weighed, so I am going to make him a whole orange cake. My new goal, when I have got down to normal BMI (my few ounces) is to weigh less than him. He is 6 ft, I am 5 ft 5ins. :laugh:

The leaseholders on my small rental are going to be painting the exterior in the near future. I also must renew the lease.:sad: It is still not let, though the agency has reduced the rent.:sad: :sad: I have therefore renewed my attempt to get the money I am owed from my ex DMIL's will out of my ex. I was looking forward to having some money to spend on holidays, new clothes etc, but now it looks like most of it will be spent on repairs and essentials. I will try to keep some back for a splurge - I am determined to get to New York next year for my 65th.

Going to have some pork and herb sausages for supper. I'm not going to bbq them as then I would want to eat all three when I like to keep one back for lunch the next day. Roasted cauliflower, which I think is heaven, and mange tout. Lunch in a minute is the left over spinach and feta cake with a brown rice salad. Delicious! I also make a similar, much bigger, one, when guests come, with cauliflower. What an amazing vegetable! Cauliflower rice also often saves me a carb splurge.

I will watch a film this pm while DH is out. I have plenty recorded on my HDD. We have Freeview TV which costs nothing and a recorder. Also we get free recording through our internet of BBC and ITV so we manage it all quite cheaply. I hate having big monthly bills so have no cell phone contract, just PAYG. That's what stops me getting a smartphone, though I could buy one outright and still keep the PAYG. I will think about that. Last year I decided to buy a tablet instead, which I love, though it doesn't do everything and still keep my laptop for printing and anything that needs Flashplayer. Can't do Smilebox on Android, which I love. Generally though, I find it great, though I did need my DS#2 to sort a few blips out for me.:embarassed:

Love to all - must get in to the kitchen to finish off the brown rice salad and pick the rocket (arugula) from the garden. It's doing brilliantly this year as it is getting all the water we give the runner beans every night. I adore rocket ! ! ! ! :love:

Love to all from blazing Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Wow, we are a chatty bunch, I so enjoy reading all the posts! I feel as if I have friends all over the world:love: ! You ladies are just the best:heart: !!!

Just some quick replies this morning, wish I had more time:cry: !

Sandy in ON:smile: I finally got the Khaki/bronze mascara, I like it, don`t love it though, it`s a bit clumpy and that kind of turns me off, although the color is beautiful and I will wear it on occasion. What I really love is the khaki eyeliner pencil I got, it looks really good! Stay inside and stay cool!!!

Katla:smile: I got the LG washer and dryer in graphite steel, they look beautiful...however it is a front load washer, this will be my first, the guy told me they have come a long way in cutting down on the smell, you don`t have to use any special soap to clean it, it does have a self cleaning cycle on it...I`m holding my breathe hoping I will like it. My old set is a Maytag Neptune, it was fine while it worked. This one will wash my king sized blankets which I love, it got expensive sending them to the dry cleaners! I looked at the reviews before I bought it and they were all good...keeping my fingers crossed!

Joyce:smile: Hoping today will be a better day for you:flowerforyou: !

Grandmallie:smile: good luck with your Dr. appt., I hope you get some answers on how to alleviate the heel pain:flowerforyou: !

Heather:smile: I just want to come to your house for lunch and dinner, seeing I am not much of a cook:noway: , your lunches and dinners sound delish, makes my mouth water:happy: . The cake you`re making for DH...orange cake, please send me just a little taste:love: ! Hope DH has a good appt. today!

I am missing Michele`s posts too, hoping the wedding was wonderful and things with Bryan are much better than she was expecting!

As much as I would love to sit and chat more, the clock is telling me if I don`t get off the behind now, I`m going to be late:sad: !
    Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny:glasses: NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Unlike most of you, I am retired so I have more time to do the things I choose. Fortunately, the things I choose are mostly active so I get lots of exercise and have lots of time to spend with my darling husband.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: breakfast is finished, I've done more than half of the squats for my challenge, both dogs have been walked alone to do "business" and in a minute the three of us will head off for our long morning walk which could be two and a half hours this morning since I got up so early. I have line dance class this morning and practice this afternoon for the county fair performance.

:flowerforyou: We have warm weather here
    55 degrees right now and probably 70 by afternoon. I have lived most of my adult life in cooler northern places and don't do well with too much heat.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: have a wonderful day, make healthy choices, and act the way you want to feel.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif[/

1140350y6xzy9bjr7.gif
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, wonderful friends!

Barbie, the county fair sounds like it’s going to be fun. I used to love going – checking out the crafts and animals were more fun than riding the rides. The State Fair in Pueblo also has a fun fountain area for the kids (or young-at-heart adults) where the water shoots up out of holes in the sidewalk at random times – you never know when you’re going to get wet. It would be one way to keep cooler in your 70 degrees (sorry, I’m snickering).

Ooh, DeeDee – let me know how you like/love your new set. I had bought the LG brand for DD and would like to get a set for myself . . .

Heather, hope the knee loosens up soon. I can relate to the need to weigh less than your spouse – my ex was a beanpole, even when we first met I only weighed about 5 – 10 lbs less than him. Maybe it’s a good think DH is on the pudgy side now :laugh:. You’ll have to let me know if you come to NYC – I can meet you there. I’m always up for a splurgy trip! I’m with you – love the peppery zing arugula adds to salads and such – we love it on pizza (pile it on after cooking the pizza), and my new fav is to shred some on a plate and put my caprese salad on top of it – adds a nice bite to the salad. DH is a huge fan of the birds – he loves to watch them at our feeders. We have cardinals, goldfinches (his favorite) and a downy woodpecker in our area. They can be little pigs, but since I move d the feeder I don’t have the deer – they would bump the feeder to get the food to fall out onto the ground and then eat it all – they could empty the entire thing in one night!

Janie, I hope your knee gets better soon too. Lots of joint injuries around here – a reminder to us all that keeping the weight off will be kinder to our joints and help them last longer too.

Grannybitbit, welcome! We have lots of people here in all shapes and sizes, all working to be in better shape and a smaller size :laugh:. As we can all attest, the best way to lose weight is to track what you’re really eating and move more – because we get this way from eating too much and not moving enough. Keep coming back for suggestions and support.

Sandy, I hope your tablet shows up! Sometimes the store people are just too lazy to sort through the boxes to see what’s there although I would think they would have a tracking database to show what’s been delivered. Hrrmph.

Meg, that’s a little spooky that Qwest seemed to know that you needed a new modem . . . :laugh:. Ouchie on the goggles! DH used to be a swimmer too – he was the lifeguard at the pool in the summers when he was growing up. When we were in NC he swam in the ocean one day and then complained about how much his shoulder hurt. I hope he doesn’t get his father’s disposition towards bad joints – but I’m worried he might. He seems better now. It’s my life’s mission to get him to do yoga with me – I’m convinced it will fix whatever’s wrong with him :wink:. I planted a set of large delphiniums this year – I missed jb’s post – you’ll have to tell me what/how I’m supposed to cut them. Thanks – I don’t even eat meat, let alone burger, and now you’ve got me thinking about a juicy burger from Burger King!

Gail, I love being able to “earn” treats.

Yanniejannie, I’ve lost track – are you in TN or VA? We have a friend who lives in Blacksburg, VA – one of DH’s BFFs from college. Have fun on your trip! I’m with you – I’ll even pick up something at a gas station market. Like Michele I try to keep a healthy snack with me so I’m not too tempted by something I shouldn’t eat. I’m laughing at your squirrel assault.

Lila, thanks for the recipe. That looks tasty – I might have to try it out for DH.

So last night I got to meet one of our board members for a fun visit and walk – and now I have a new IRL friend. I think it’s wonderful. Then on the way home one of our neighbors had a fridge out at the end of his driveway with a for-sale sign on it and he happened to be standing there when I drove by, so I stopped to ask what he wanted for it. He was selling it for just a little amount of money, his son had just moved home and there was no place for it. Yay! Now I can replace the old, no-seal-left, smelly version we have in the garage. I imagine it will be more efficient too, so lower energy bills. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the one in our garage. I’ll have to call the trash company to find out how to have the Freon removed, etc.

OK, time to start the work day. Have a wonderful day, try to find a cool place to land, and enjoy those birds who aren’t afraid to soar even in the heat.

Cheers,

M.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy thurs.Another hot one 90+with heat index in the 100`s.
    Today is my hubby and my 20 wedding anniversary.
    Have a great day to u all.
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Happy 20th anniversary jane to you and your hubby, may you have many more and enjoy your day together.

Juanita in sudbury