Obsessive/Unhealthy Dieting Relationship

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Moral of the story: Don't cast your pearls before swine...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Not eating ice cream is fasting? Oh...kay...
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I'm fasting from frozen dairy desserts. It's one of my biggest trigger foods, and I've been going completely overboard with eating them lately. Every once and a while, I start getting out of control with certain foods, and I need to nearly completely cut them out. (I just can't tell myself I can never have them or I'll binge- so setting parameters is my compromise).

I tried tracking this week. I made it through Sunday before I shut down again. I even tried again on Wednesday while working on my challenge of spending 6 hours actively working out at the gym (though, not intensely). Tracking just doesn't work for me long-term.

I've been doing pretty well with sticking with an 8-10 hour window for eating (averaging 9 hours). I've eaten a little late maybe twice over the past week (one was a late dinner because I got home late; the other was a Birthday celebration last night)- but I've also stopped early most nights. I've only broken my fast early one day (today). I'm also eating less highly processed food (though I haven't cut it out entirely- partially because I'm eating what I have in my freezer.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Stop setting these rules about how you can't eat at certain times or you can't eat certain foods. This is completely missing the point and unnecessary. Why would you think that you can follow rules like that but you can't follow a calorie goal?

Just set MFP to lose 1 lb per week and eat the calories it tells you. This is not rocket science. It is simple. If you keep going over your calorie goal, then you don't really want to lose weight. If you do truly believe you want to lose weight and can't physically keep under a calorie goal, then go see a doctor or a therapist.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is a religion-free version of yoga. It's called Pilates.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »

I'm fasting from frozen dairy desserts. It's one of my biggest trigger foods, and I've been going completely overboard with eating them lately. Every once and a while, I start getting out of control with certain foods, and I need to nearly completely cut them out. (I just can't tell myself I can never have them or I'll binge- so setting parameters is my compromise).

I tried tracking this week. I made it through Sunday before I shut down again. I even tried again on Wednesday while working on my challenge of spending 6 hours actively working out at the gym (though, not intensely). Tracking just doesn't work for me long-term.

I've been doing pretty well with sticking with an 8-10 hour window for eating (averaging 9 hours). I've eaten a little late maybe twice over the past week (one was a late dinner because I got home late; the other was a Birthday celebration last night)- but I've also stopped early most nights. I've only broken my fast early one day (today). I'm also eating less highly processed food (though I haven't cut it out entirely- partially because I'm eating what I have in my freezer.

Skipping dessert is not fasting. It is not even in the same universe as fasting.

Spending 6 hours at the gym doesn't sound insane at all...

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Six hours at the gym? I thought you didn't have any time to spare?
    I spend 6 hours a WEEK working out.
    I agree... get off WW and just use myfitnesspal. Pre-weigh and log your foods and STOP demonizing foods. WW is NOT working for you anymore. Ditch it. Weighing foods is not excessive, it's accurate and helps to keep one on track. If you're invited (or whatever) to dinner, ask what will be on the menu. Ask how foods have been prepared and take notes. If you're cooking at someone else's, eat what everyone else eats, but weigh and write down the weights of the foods for you as you are cooking them. Or, if you know you'll be over at dinner the day before, make room for dinner by sparing a few calories.

If you really want this, you'l do all it takes to get there. I had excuses...that's how I got 130lbs overweight. Almost 80lbs down now because I moved boulders. You can move boulders too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OP you're making this much more difficult then it needs to be. This is why there are so many yo yo dieters out there. It all gets too hard and they throw in the towel.

Losing weight is simple, NOT easy, but a simple game of numbers.

ETA: I would never, ever take my own food to someone else's house if they had invited me over for dinner. A little bit of pre planning and common sense and you're good to go.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You can afford a gym but you can't afford to seek out professional help?

Also, are you saying your challenge is 6 hours of gym time in a week or day, because it's unclear.

I think you're setting way too many rules, among other things...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

The more rules you have, the more excuses she needs to make. OP will love this!

Seriously, how can the OP not see this?

Every post is a litany of:

I'll do this, but I can't because...
    I'll do that, but I can't because...
    Yes but yes but yes but yes but yes but yes but yes but etc etc etc

JFDI.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    erinc5 wrote: »
    Stop setting these rules about how you can't eat at certain times or you can't eat certain foods. This is completely missing the point and unnecessary. Why would you think that you can follow rules like that but you can't follow a calorie goal?

Just set MFP to lose 1 lb per week and eat the calories it tells you. This is not rocket science. It is simple. If you keep going over your calorie goal, then you don't really want to lose weight. If you do truly believe you want to lose weight and can't physically keep under a calorie goal, then go see a doctor or a therapist.

It sounds like she's trying to figure out a plan that lets her lose weight while still eating as much as she likes of at least many kinds of dishes, imho.

OP, I know that sounds harsh, but it really does sound that way. Why did you 'shut down' on logging again? If it had to do with never being able to fit in what all you want, welcome to the club ;)

But I bet you try to cut too many calories at once, too. And you probably haven't figured out what foods you can use to bulk out your diet that are low calorie. Does it suck to not get to have a really full breakfast, lunch and dinner with dessert every single day? Well, yes.

And no. If you do it reasonably (not too big a deficit) for a while, your tastes and appetite do change. And then the last bit is willpower, which is really hard for 99% of us, so you aren't alone; I promise. I have a tray of peanut butter Oreos not 20 feet away that I'd love to dig into right now. I always want to dig into some treat, but then my goals don't get reached. And nobody needs peanut butter Oreos every day (particularly with hyperglycemia!).

The 'treat' can be a big portion size of most any food, btw. I highly recommend a big pot of cooked greens with nothing but 1 tsp of olive oil (and some wine vinegar) if you need a 'trick'. Or Roma tomatoes. Those are my go-to foods when I'm just needing a big quantity to much on or either a snack to curb hunger. There are all kinds of similar tricks that do help for real.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »

The more rules you have, the more excuses she needs to make. OP will love this!

Seriously, how can the OP not see this?

Every post is a litany of:

Yes but yes but yes but yes but yes but yes but yes but etc etc etc

JFDI.

Amen.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You speak of challenges, but I don't think you really understand what the term means, related to personal change. A challenge is meant to be something you stretch to attain and that fosters healthy behaviors. It is not meant to be radical change that breaks you. Spending 25% more time at the gym, or working out four days per week instead of two or three are both challenges.

Spending six hours at the gym isn't a challenge. It's a sickness. Abstaining from ice cream unless some complicated rules are met isn't a challenge. It is a disordered relationship with food.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »

Okay, I'm going to say this out loud.

You have been making posts like this for years. Literally for years. And while you've lost some weight, you're still heavy.

At this point, I don't think I exaggerate much if at all when I say that, over the years you've been posting, literally every weight loss strategy that has ever taken a pound weight off a human being now living has been recommended to you. Everything. You've been given snack, meal, and time management ideas. You've been given support. You've been given tough love. You've been given tough not-so-love. You've blown all of the advice off - too expensive, you don't have time, it won't fit into your lifestyle, you just don't wanna.

I think it's probably time to give some thought to the idea that being thin is just not a realistic or achievable goal for you at this point in your life.

Maybe someday it will be, who knows. But your lifestyle supports you at the weight you're at, and all your posts boil down to tips and tricks for getting a thin person's body while still leading a fat person's lifestyle. That isn't going to work. Get some professional help and learn to love yourself at the size you're at. You're going to be there for a while, it looks like.