Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Can Strong Curves be done only 2 days a week? With my schedule right now the only times I have open are 2 days a week.

It's not built that way, but I see no reason why you couldn't, as each workout is a set of compound movements, not a split. There's a couple ways you could do it.

To prescribe for four days a week, Bret recommends a scheme of workouts A, then B, then A, then C. So you could conceivably either go:
    Week 1: A, then B
    Week 2: A, then C
    Week 3: A, then B,
    Week 4: A, then C

But I'd probably find that a little awkward, progressing on a certain exercise I'm only doing once every two weeks.

More likely, I'd just cut off the C workout and do A and B each week.

Thank you! I appreciate that explanation. That would work for the weeks I know I can only get in 2 SC workouts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Can Strong Curves be done only 2 days a week? With my schedule right now the only times I have open are 2 days a week.

Sorry i missed this. I would say two solid sessions would be better than nothing. It may not be optimal but if that is a sacrific you are willing to live with, then i would do it. Just stay in the order laid out.

Thank you. Here's another question: is it okay to do double strength workouts in the same day? I could in theory wake up and make it to the gym to make up for the other days missed. My concern is that I do pole and aerial at night which are both forms of body weight strength training. Is that okay? Or would it be overkill?

I'm sure you don't need all of this info, but I'm going to type it anyway: I've already committed to dropping spin on Mon & Thurs and replacing it with SC. Pole & aerial are Tues & Wed. Fri & Sat is either pole or I work that evening, but if I'm off both Fri & Sat I know I can do pole on one and SC on the other. My evening work schedule changes monthly, so I can't always guarantee a workout on Fri or Sat. And Sundays are my days that I travel to visit with my grandparents for the day. So I'm just trying to figure out how to fit SC in with everything that I'm already doing.

So there are some weeks where I can commit 3-4 evenings to the program and other weeks where I can only commit 2 evenings. If it's okay to do multiple strength workouts in 1 day, then everything changes and it's just a matter of me going to bed early enough to get up early to make it to the gym and work on time.

Your training could affect how you perform SC especially if you are fatiguing the muscles but I mean, it also depends on your goals. Would you say that your pole and aerial are more upper body focused? Perhaps you can do the Gorgeous Glutes program which is lower body only, OR on days where you have pole maybe just do the lower body exercises or incorporate band work. Again I don't know how taxed you feel after your pole so you may have to play around with the program and find out!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Sorry i missed this. I would say two solid sessions would be better than nothing. It may not be optimal but if that is a sacrific you are willing to live with, then i would do it. Just stay in the order laid out.

Thank you. Here's another question: is it okay to do double strength workouts in the same day? I could in theory wake up and make it to the gym to make up for the other days missed. My concern is that I do pole and aerial at night which are both forms of body weight strength training. Is that okay? Or would it be overkill?

I'm sure you don't need all of this info, but I'm going to type it anyway: I've already committed to dropping spin on Mon & Thurs and replacing it with SC. Pole & aerial are Tues & Wed. Fri & Sat is either pole or I work that evening, but if I'm off both Fri & Sat I know I can do pole on one and SC on the other. My evening work schedule changes monthly, so I can't always guarantee a workout on Fri or Sat. And Sundays are my days that I travel to visit with my grandparents for the day. So I'm just trying to figure out how to fit SC in with everything that I'm already doing.

So there are some weeks where I can commit 3-4 evenings to the program and other weeks where I can only commit 2 evenings. If it's okay to do multiple strength workouts in 1 day, then everything changes and it's just a matter of me going to bed early enough to get up early to make it to the gym and work on time.

Your training could affect how you perform SC especially if you are fatiguing the muscles but I mean, it also depends on your goals. Would you say that your pole and aerial are more upper body focused? Perhaps you can do the Gorgeous Glutes program which is lower body only, OR on days where you have pole maybe just do the lower body exercises or incorporate band work. Again I don't know how taxed you feel after your pole so you may have to play around with the program and find out!

Yes, pole and aerial are very upper body focused. So if the Gorgeous Glutes program is geared towards beginners, I could definitely do that one instead (I'm still reading the book, so I haven't gotten to the breakdown of the programs yet).

But I am considering sitting out of aerial for the first run through of this b/c it would save me some money. Since I've never lifted and my squats are abysmal, I want to work with a PT for a few weeks to get my form right. I also don't want to half *kitten* this program (pun only half way intended). So that would leave my Tuesdays open.

Thank you for the suggestion and input.

Edited to add: with pole, my legs are sore due to bruising, not necessarily for over using the muscles. The lower body is used for climbs, hangs, and sits (see Martini sit in my profile pic). The arms, shoulders, back, and core is what gets you up the pole, into inverts, handstands, etc.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Good heavens we need a bump :)
    Cheers, h.
  • Macpui85
    Macpui85 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I second that.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing squat everyday style Bulgarian method. The volume is relatively low but the frequency is very high. Working up to a 1 rep max everyday day. Then drop back sets. It's working wonders right now. My daily minimum is higher that my max was when I started a month ago.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Right now I'm doing squat everyday style Bulgarian method. The volume is relatively low but the frequency is very high. Working up to a 1 rep max everyday day. Then drop back sets. It's working wonders right now. My daily minimum is higher that my max was when I started a month ago.

That's interesting. I'm doing something similar. Picked it up from a Net article.

Doing DLs and SQTs daily for a 1RM w/drop sets. Set a daily minimum, do a few warm up sets 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 (at progressively higher weights from about 50-75%) and then do my min 1RM (which is a weight I never have a problem doing), then try to do more 1RMs at higher weights.

When I reach my max 1RM for the day (which sometimes is just the min), I do drop sets of 2x3x90% and 1x5x80% and I'm done. Also using the same program for BP, OHP and Rows but only do those 1x a week, not every day. When the min gets easy, I just raise it 5 or 10 lbs, which indicates progress even if no new 1RM PRs are set.

So, just doing low reps at high weights now. Simple to follow (not complicated like 5/3/1 and other Intermediate programs), no/little risk of burn out or overtraining and less risk of injury than doing 5x5 and 3x5 (2-3x's a week) at max weights as I was doing before. Making progress and setting new 1RM PRs all the time. A much more positive workout experience and less chance of failure. A great motivator.

Also doing 50-100 dips, 50-150 pushups and 25-50 pullups as accessory exercises every day. Sometimes add in 50-100 sissy squats and 50-100 GHRs (on specialized stands/benches that I own). And, I do heavy Farmer's Walks at least 1x a week, as an accessory lift, where I'm currently carrying 215# w/a trap bar for 3 carries of 200 ft each.

BTW, my current 1RM PRs are: 300 DL, 240 SQT, 190 BP, 115 OHP. According to the Killustrated Charts, these are at the Elite level for men my age/weight (66/165#) for the DL, BP and OHP and ony 10# short of Elite for the SQT. So, I'm quite happy w/my progress utilizing this unusual lifting program.
  • Macpui85
    Options
    So question, all these programs have a specification of beginner, intermediate, and advanced; how do you know to which category you belong to?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Macpui85 wrote: »
    So question, all these programs have a specification of beginner, intermediate, and advanced; how do you know to which category you belong to?

A Beginner is someone who has never trained w/weights or who has trained b4 some time ago and is starting from scratch again. The length of the Beginner stage can vary from 6-12 months (or much longer) based on how well and consistently the person trains. The Beginner stage ends when the lifter plateaus and cannot increase his/her PRs by following a simple linear progression, which is typical of Beginning lifting programs, such as Starting Strength and Stronglifts.

At that point, you're an Intermediate. Increased strength will be more difficult to come by and you will need to resort to programs that vary the routine to "confuse" & challenge your muscles to grow in different ways. Wendler's 5/3/1 and the Texas Method are 2 such programs.

Most people (except competitive lifters) seldom get to the Advanced level, but if you have plateaued with both a Beginner and Intermediate program over a 2-3 year period and the weight you lift is above the Intermediate levels published on strength charts - like the one published by Starting Strength - then you may be ready to try an Advanced program which is designed to squeeze the last possible ounce of strength out of your muscles, which are probably already at or near 95% of your genetic potential.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Macpui85 wrote: »

A Beginner is someone who has never trained w/weights or who has trained b4 some time ago and is starting from scratch again. The length of the Beginner stage can vary from 6-12 months (or much longer) based on how well and consistently the person trains. The Beginner stage ends when the lifter plateaus and cannot increase his/her PRs by following a simple linear progression, which is typical of Beginning lifting programs, such as Starting Strength and Stronglifts.

At that point, you're an Intermediate. Increased strength will be more difficult to come by and you will need to resort to programs that vary the routine to "confuse" & challenge your muscles to grow in different ways. Wendler's 5/3/1 and the Texas Method are 2 such programs.

Most people (except competitive lifters) seldom get to the Advanced level, but if you have plateaued with both a Beginner and Intermediate program over a 2-3 year period and the weight you lift is above the Intermediate levels published on strength charts - like the one published by Starting Strength - then you may be ready to try an Advanced program which is designed to squeeze the last possible ounce of strength out of your muscles, which are probably already at or near 95% of your genetic potential.

Very well stated. I actually just updated the OP to add in Greg Nuckols complete guide to strength training. It's a bit long but covers these topics in great detail. So far, everything I have read is worthwhile.
  • brentfostwood904
    brentfostwood904 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do a kind of beginner lifting program I guess. Im not sure which one of these it is because I kind of made it myself from modifying the 5x5 one a lot but its like this.

Monday 3 reps 5 sets (powerlifting day, also on this day isometrics are done)

wednesday 12 reps 3 sets (muscle building day, at about 2/3 of mondays weight) also on this day 5 minutes of continuous light reps for some such as benchpress (for endurance)

friday 5 reps 5 sets (attempting to do mondays weight so trying to make progress on the number of times I can rep my 3 rep max)

next week try to increase the weight, even if its by 0.5kg.

I do basics benchpress, zercher squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, overhead press, pullups, dips, fatman pullups, kettlebell swings, pullovers, a variation of dumbell flies, and some thing I call judo throws (which is lying down and pulling a weight from behind to in front of you on one side at a time like youre throwing someone..)

On the days in between I do circuit training for martial arts.. burpees, crunches, mountain climbers all of that stuff.

I dont know what people think of my routine, any advice would be appreciated, but it seems to be working for me
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I started the m&s full body dumbbell workout (I looked at it after reading this post) today I am total beginner and now I am aching (I done a run yesterday so the combination of the both is what's made it worse I think) it didn't take too long so I am hoping I can stick to it when I return to work.
    Tomorrow is rest day, any advice or tips when it comes to doing the workout or when it comes to food?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I started the m&s full body dumbbell workout (I looked at it after reading this post) today I am total beginner and now I am aching (I done a run yesterday so the combination of the both is what's made it worse I think) it didn't take too long so I am hoping I can stick to it when I return to work.
    Tomorrow is rest day, any advice or tips when it comes to doing the workout or when it comes to food?

Really work on form. It should be a time to get introduced to the big compound moves and should somewhat set you up for the next step.

Food wise, aim for whole foods and adequate protein. If you get DOMS food high in potassium and magnesium should help.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Really work on form. It should be a time to get introduced to the big compound moves and should somewhat set you up for the next step.

Food wise, aim for whole foods and adequate protein. If you get DOMS food high in potassium and magnesium should help.

Thank you for replying, I was really trying to make sure I didn't round my back or anything today, the kids thought it was funny mummy lifting the weights lol
    Will look out for foods high in potassium and magnesium hopefully it will help :)
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @psulemon I don't know if this has been shared here yet (didn't want to read through 7 pages) but a great resource to add to your bodyweight section is Darebee.com. Tons of different programs and workouts and a great support community and all content is 100% free which is nice.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on trying strong lifts with 3 sets of 10 instead of 5 sets of 5? What might the outcome of that be?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts on trying strong lifts with 3 sets of 10 instead of 5 sets of 5? What might the outcome of that be?

You would basically be running a beginner hypertrophy program rather than a beginner strength program...you won't make the same kind of strength gains...you will be recruiting more slow twitch muscles whereas a strength program is going to recruit and train fast twitch muscles...you also won't get the same kind of CNS adaptation.

You would be working in a body builders rep range vs a power lifter/olympic lifter rep range.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Colt1835 wrote: »

You would basically be running a beginner hypertrophy program rather than a beginner strength program...you won't make the same kind of strength gains...you will be recruiting more slow twitch muscles whereas a strength program is going to recruit and train fast twitch muscles...you also won't get the same kind of CNS adaptation.

You would be working in a body builders rep range vs a power lifter/olympic lifter rep range.
    Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

• Macpui85
    Options
    These routines are categorized by level, but how do you know if are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced?