Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options
145791044

Replies

  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    To get stronger mostly... The standard lose body fat and gain muscle. I try to strength train 3 times a week, and some cardio.

    I've enjoyed the progressive strength gains of the final sections of nrol.

    Thanks
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,413 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Noot30 wrote: »
    To get stronger mostly... The standard lose body fat and gain muscle. I try to strength train 3 times a week, and some cardio.

    I've enjoyed the progressive strength gains of the final sections of nrol.

    Thanks

    PHAT/PHUL are splits, so it would be a 4 day routine. Wendler might be up your alley though. To point out though, most of the beginner programs should address that too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Noot30 wrote: »
    This is a great post - thanks.

    I have recently finished the NROL, and trying to find something to progress to My husband got me the NROLFW, but it starts of a bt basic, so trying to find something more challenging.

    I´m thinking about the PHUL or Wendler, or maybe even 5 x 5, but want something to progress on, not sure if I am a beginner or intermediate. Certainly not squatting twice my own bodyweight....

    I regret not doing 5x5 earlier. I went straight to Wendlers which was great but if you can progress with 5x5, you might as well try it. You can't lift 5x5 forever.
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Noot30 wrote: »
    To get stronger mostly... The standard lose body fat and gain muscle. I try to strength train 3 times a week, and some cardio.

    I've enjoyed the progressive strength gains of the final sections of nrol.

    Thanks

    PHAT/PHUL are splits, so it would be a 4 day routine. Wendler might be up your alley though. To point out though, most of the beginner programs should address that too.

    Could I do PHUL over 3 days - I know its a 4 day split, but have the extra day as a carry over if you see what I mean??

    Iĺl have a look at Wendler.

    Thanks
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Noot30 wrote: »
    This is a great post - thanks.

    I have recently finished the NROL, and trying to find something to progress to My husband got me the NROLFW, but it starts of a bt basic, so trying to find something more challenging.

    I´m thinking about the PHUL or Wendler, or maybe even 5 x 5, but want something to progress on, not sure if I am a beginner or intermediate. Certainly not squatting twice my own bodyweight....

    I regret not doing 5x5 earlier. I went straight to Wendlers which was great but if you can progress with 5x5, you might as well try it. You can't lift 5x5 forever.

    Thanks. Iĺl have a read of both.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,413 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Noot30 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Noot30 wrote: »
    To get stronger mostly... The standard lose body fat and gain muscle. I try to strength train 3 times a week, and some cardio.

    I've enjoyed the progressive strength gains of the final sections of nrol.

    Thanks

    PHAT/PHUL are splits, so it would be a 4 day routine. Wendler might be up your alley though. To point out though, most of the beginner programs should address that too.

    Could I do PHUL over 3 days - I know its a 4 day split, but have the extra day as a carry over if you see what I mean??

    Iĺl have a look at Wendler.

    Thanks

    I wouldn't. I would look at some of the 3 day programs; Strong Lift, Strong Curves, Starting Strength, ICF, or All pro would be my suggestion. If you want a more complete program, like NROL, strong curves could be a good pick. Although, based on your skill, you might be able to skip the first month.
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks. Will take a look.
  • YakuzaBeast
    YakuzaBeast Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Noot30 wrote: »
    Great, thanks. Will take a look.

    Wendlers 5/3/1 is completely customizable. The best program until you get into squatting and pulling 400s and benching in the 300s
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I came across this review of the most popular beginner / intermediate programs and thought it was a good enough to share.

    It looks at

    Starting Strength – beginner
    Stronglifts – beginner
    Wendler’s 5/3/1 – intermediate or advanced
    Madcow intermediate 5×5 – intermediate (there is also an advanced version)
    Texas Method – intermediate

    http://gubernatrix.co.uk/2010/08/basic-barbell-programmes-reviewed/
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    I came across this review of the most popular beginner / intermediate programs and thought it was a good enough to share.

    It looks at

    Starting Strength – beginner
    Stronglifts – beginner
    Wendler’s 5/3/1 – intermediate or advanced
    Madcow intermediate 5×5 – intermediate (there is also an advanced version)
    Texas Method – intermediate

    http://gubernatrix.co.uk/2010/08/basic-barbell-programmes-reviewed/

    This is nice. Thanks.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Great read.

    I am having trouble choosing a lifting program that would suit me and would appreciate some input. I did start off with Strong Curves (TL:DR, fractured foot and toe put my back and then got through an illness), but I'd like to concentrate more on a strength based program with less exercises to concentrate on over all. I will come back to Strong curves eventually. I'd prefer compound lifts without the extra moves for now. I'm not ready for recomp or bulking (oops, I just realized this is in the gaining section...)

    So, any recommendations? I have a barbell, weights and bench.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is pretty simple. Only the 5 exercises really. I'm currently on week 5 of Strong Curves and thinking of doing 5x5 next
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,413 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Great read.

    I am having trouble choosing a lifting program that would suit me and would appreciate some input. I did start off with Strong Curves (TL:DR, fractured foot and toe put my back and then got through an illness), but I'd like to concentrate more on a strength based program with less exercises to concentrate on over all. I will come back to Strong curves eventually. I'd prefer compound lifts without the extra moves for now. I'm not ready for recomp or bulking (oops, I just realized this is in the gaining section...)

    So, any recommendations? I have a barbell, weights and bench.

    Have you fully recovered? And what are your goals?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Great read.

    I am having trouble choosing a lifting program that would suit me and would appreciate some input. I did start off with Strong Curves (TL:DR, fractured foot and toe put my back and then got through an illness), but I'd like to concentrate more on a strength based program with less exercises to concentrate on over all. I will come back to Strong curves eventually. I'd prefer compound lifts without the extra moves for now. I'm not ready for recomp or bulking (oops, I just realized this is in the gaining section...)

    So, any recommendations? I have a barbell, weights and bench.

    Have you fully recovered? And what are your goals?

    Fully recovered. Got the okay from the doctors.
    My goal is to increase strength while I'm decreasing my body fat percentage (it's quite high atm, 40%), then once I get closer to goal, recomp, then bulk and cutting cycles when I am satisfied (around 20-ish %).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,413 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Great read.

    I am having trouble choosing a lifting program that would suit me and would appreciate some input. I did start off with Strong Curves (TL:DR, fractured foot and toe put my back and then got through an illness), but I'd like to concentrate more on a strength based program with less exercises to concentrate on over all. I will come back to Strong curves eventually. I'd prefer compound lifts without the extra moves for now. I'm not ready for recomp or bulking (oops, I just realized this is in the gaining section...)

    So, any recommendations? I have a barbell, weights and bench.

    Have you fully recovered? And what are your goals?

    Fully recovered. Got the okay from the doctors.
    My goal is to increase strength while I'm decreasing my body fat percentage (it's quite high atm, 40%), then once I get closer to goal, recomp, then bulk and cutting cycles when I am satisfied (around 20-ish %).

    If you like to do some accessory moves, then ICF is a solid otherwise SS or SL are great programs. Also, once you are done with your first program, you may want to consider NROL4W. It's a fairly complete program (I believe it goes for 9 months).
  • sanifr
    sanifr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Noot30 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Noot30 wrote: »
    To get stronger mostly... The standard lose body fat and gain muscle. I try to strength train 3 times a week, and some cardio.

    I've enjoyed the progressive strength gains of the final sections of nrol.

    Thanks

    PHAT/PHUL are splits, so it would be a 4 day routine. Wendler might be up your alley though. To point out though, most of the beginner programs should address that too.

    Could I do PHUL over 3 days - I know its a 4 day split, but have the extra day as a carry over if you see what I mean??

    Iĺl have a look at Wendler.

    Thanks

    I wouldn't. I would look at some of the 3 day programs; Strong Lift, Strong Curves, Starting Strength, ICF, or All pro would be my suggestion. If you want a more complete program, like NROL, strong curves could be a good pick. Although, based on your skill, you might be able to skip the first month.

    Thanks for your help. I have started Strong lifts, and did day 2 today. Going to give it a go, and may look at strong curves if I dont think its working. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    I've been working Wendler's 5/3/1 since June 8th. Prior to that, I was working Stronglifts from November to June. I've tried to give Wendler's a serious chance, but I am really missing squatting at every session. I prefer programs that have a phone app so I can track my progress at the gym. I also prefer that the compound lifts are the major focus of the program. I also have a goal of being able to do 5 pull-ups from dead hang, which means I need accessory work on top of my compound lifts. I'm looking for an intermediate program.

    I found Squat Every Day on bodybuilding.com, but can't find an app for it. Does anyone know of any program that would fit my preferences?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've been working Wendler's 5/3/1 since June 8th. Prior to that, I was working Stronglifts from November to June. I've tried to give Wendler's a serious chance, but I am really missing squatting at every session. I prefer programs that have a phone app so I can track my progress at the gym. I also prefer that the compound lifts are the major focus of the program. I also have a goal of being able to do 5 pull-ups from dead hang, which means I need accessory work on top of my compound lifts. I'm looking for an intermediate program.

    I found Squat Every Day on bodybuilding.com, but can't find an app for it. Does anyone know of any program that would fit my preferences?

    Look at PH3, it might work.