Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Doing GZCL program, 4 days a week.

It's a program which has primary lifts (squats/deads/bench/OHP/etc.) at high weight, low rep, strength focus,
    followed by secondary lifts which compliment the primaries (i.e. for squat, you can do front squats, pause squats, or more squats at lighter weight) at medium weight medium reps (3-4 sets, 6-10 reps),
    then accessories bodybuilding style to finish it off (10-15 reps, hypertrophy focus).

Cycles are 3 weeks minimum. I use the 4th week to re-test my maxes.

I love it. Has the balance between strength and aesthetics, can do it on a cut (reduce volume a little), or make great gainzzz on a bulk. Monthly weight progression, where you test your 1RM - if you can achieve higher reps, you can increase your work weight by 5lbs to 15lbs (if you achieve 15lbs, that's almost 5lbs/week).

I hear amazing reviews for his UHF program (ultra high frequency), but I'm saving that for a bulk / when I'm more advanced.

Naturally, the creator of this program, Cody Lefever is Brutally. Strong. And equally knowledgeable.

Edit:
    List of all programs here

The beginner Linear Progression Version (CTRL+F GZCLP)
    The GZCL is good for intermediates and advanced
    UHF and the Rippler is late intermediate / advanced
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks @hamstermanV2. I updated with your inputs.
  • CalebUnland
    CalebUnland Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Saw your post about food to gain weight. Do you have any recipes that are easy to make? Preferably not processed foods
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First of all this is a really great idea, thanks for making the post.

Minor point and my apologies for not looking through the thread in case this has been brought up already.

DUP quite literally means that the rep ranges undulate throughout the week. It's not even a program as much as it's a descriptor of what the rep ranges do intra-week.

As such, it really can be used for all levels of development.

I have plenty of beginner and novice clients on a DUP program.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    First of all this is a really great idea, thanks for making the post.

Minor point and my apologies for not looking through the thread in case this has been brought up already.

DUP quite literally means that the rep ranges undulate throughout the week. It's not even a program as much as it's a descriptor of what the rep ranges do intra-week.

As such, it really can be used for all levels of development.

I have plenty of beginner and novice clients on a DUP program.

I tried to mention that with the "individualized" point, but I guess it depends on the context.

Only point that i'd offer is that in your case, you're the one programming for them (as someone experienced). A newb picking a DUP approach and trying to program themselves will find it overwhelming compared to picking a LP or preset program.

Side note, Wendler has a beginner template too I think. I believe it was mentioned on the Beyond book.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hmmm... I will have to look into these a bit more to see if I can clarify things a bit different. For a large in part, I have been taking the assessments and experience of others.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    All,

Since it's a very common question when it comes to bulking, I wanted to create a running list of programs that can provide a solid foundation for members, whether they are in the beginning stages of bulking, going back to a cut or looking to maintain their gains.

Since the majority of our advanced lifters tend to gravitate in this section, I plan on placing this here, unless it's deemed more appropriate for another section. Please keep in mind, this is intended to be a comprehensive list, and I encourage all members to provide additional programs for me to add to the list (might as well use my mod powers for some good >:) ).

BodyWeight Routines
    • You are your own gym
    • Convict Conditioning

Beginner Lifting Programs

Intermediate Lifting Programs

Advanced Lifting Programs

Power Lifting
    WOW, what a list. While I'm no stranger to the gym, it has been a while. My body grows older but not my mind. I DO know I need to start slow. I have at least 20lbs to lose, and some serious muscles to tighten up and to grow.
    Since I'm not dead, it's time to get busy. Thank-you for the list.... I'll be "workout" shopping.
  • simplystronger
    simplystronger Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    All,

Since it's a very common question when it comes to bulking, I wanted to create a running list of programs that can provide a solid foundation for members, whether they are in the beginning stages of bulking, going back to a cut or looking to maintain their gains.

Since the majority of our advanced lifters tend to gravitate in this section, I plan on placing this here, unless it's deemed more appropriate for another section. Please keep in mind, this is intended to be a comprehensive list, and I encourage all members to provide additional programs for me to add to the list (might as well use my mod powers for some good >:) ).

BodyWeight Routines
    • You are your own gym
    • Convict Conditioning

Beginner Lifting Programs

Intermediate Lifting Programs

Advanced Lifting Programs

Power Lifting

Just what I am looking for...Thank you!
  • tsaundersjr
    tsaundersjr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this comprehensive list of workouts.

I have found that this 2 Day Push/Pull routine works well for me with my limited schedule.

http://www.motleyhealth.com/strength/weight-training-push-pull-split-routine
  • gareths1980
    gareths1980 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    From experience how long do people stick with the same program?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

depends on the person and the goals...I have been running PHUL for about six months and am transitioning to a different upper/lower split this week ...
  • gareths1980
    gareths1980 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

depends on the person and the goals...I have been running PHUL for about six months and am transitioning to a different upper/lower split this week ...

I had 3 months on PHUL and really enjoyed the strength gains. But physically could only see my quads improving. Towards the end I was getting tired easier and no longer see any progression due to being on an intake deficit.
    Since running PHUL I smashed my mobile phone so lost all of data! Rather than starting again I thought I'd change routine, however it's tough finding one that seems as good as PHUL.
  • Lil_Lanie
    Lil_Lanie Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I had 3 months on PHUL and really enjoyed the strength gains. But physically could only see my quads improving. Towards the end I was getting tired easier and no longer see any progression due to being on an intake deficit.
    Since running PHUL I smashed my mobile phone so lost all of data! Rather than starting again I thought I'd change routine, however it's tough finding one that seems as good as PHUL.

PHAT? :)

I finished PHUL and went straight into a DUP and am LOVING it.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I've been following Layne Norton's PH3 Trainer for the past 7 months, which is a DUP style program. I guess it should be included in the program list under intermediate since Norton recommends having a Wilks score over 300 before starting it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I go 4-6 months or so. Less if I'm not enjoying it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I've been following Layne Norton's PH3 Trainer for the past 7 months, which is a DUP style program. I guess it should be included in the program list under intermediate since Norton recommends having a Wilks score over 300 before starting it.

What's ph3 like? I'm doing PHAT
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I recommend Starting Strength, then Wendler, then DUP. Of course, DUP can be done at any time, but I recommend a few other types of linear progression/linear periodization programs before you try to figure that out.

For beginners looking more for phyisque improvement, I recommend Bigger Leaner Stronger. I've yet to read Beyond Bigger Leaner Stronger, but that's the intermediate, periodized approach to bodybuilding.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

What's ph3 like? I'm doing PHAT

PH3 is a 13 week program that focuses on the big 3 lifts but also includes a lot hypertrophy work. I haven't done any lifting competitions, but I think this program is a great balance of size and strength work. I have to keep my workouts under 45 minutes so I don't do any of the bloodflow restriction (BFR) work, but the rest of the program fits pretty well in my short workout time. It includes 5 workouts per week and the whole program is free on bodybuilding.com: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ph3-layne-norton-power-and-hypertrophy-trainer.html
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    When to switch from Strong Lifts: http://stronglifts.com/when-to-switch-from-stronglifts-5x5-to-other-programs/

The stronglifts app takes care of everything for you, it will tell you when to deload, when to switch to 3x5, etc... just do the program.

What do you use if you don't have an iPhone to use the app on? Are you not able to do this if you don't have an iPhone?