Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    no44s4me wrote: »

Hi! Thanks. Yes, that's what attracted me to it. After doing a 5-day split for two years I thought it might be fun to try something new (while still sticking to all the main compound moves because...because). It will definitely be a hit to see the weight and reps go down. That'll be sad.

I like it because of the change too. I added a few things from strong curves onto it and now it feels like the perfect mix. Weight/reps have been going up...up...up for me since I've started it. I'm actually surprised that Ive been able to do as much as I've done. But now with the upcoming cut all I can think is...this is going to come to a screeching halt real fast.... Keeping the weight up makes sense though.

Kind of ironic to me that I find the best fat loss information in the bulking forums.....

Here's a link to his diet philosophy:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/the-best-fat-loss-diet-plan/

Again, just a straightforward, no bs approach. The one other big takeaway to me in addition to maintaining "strength on the bar" was to make sure you continue to consume enough, of not a little more, protein while in a deficit.

I've lost a fair amount of weight in the last couple of years, but this will be my first real "cut" if that makes any sense.

I added and adjusted some elements of the program as well. A bit more core and stability work to compensate for a tweaky back and more cardio at my dog's insistence.

I am actually working on getting the name changed to weight gaining and bodybuilding; especially since we talk about the entire spectrum here and many of the advanced members hang out here. But with the holidays at lot of the people who can do it are out of office.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    no44s4me wrote: »

Hi! Thanks. Yes, that's what attracted me to it. After doing a 5-day split for two years I thought it might be fun to try something new (while still sticking to all the main compound moves because...because). It will definitely be a hit to see the weight and reps go down. That'll be sad.

I like it because of the change too. I added a few things from strong curves onto it and now it feels like the perfect mix. Weight/reps have been going up...up...up for me since I've started it. I'm actually surprised that Ive been able to do as much as I've done. But now with the upcoming cut all I can think is...this is going to come to a screeching halt real fast.... Keeping the weight up makes sense though.

Kind of ironic to me that I find the best fat loss information in the bulking forums.....

Here's a link to his diet philosophy:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/the-best-fat-loss-diet-plan/

Again, just a straightforward, no bs approach. The one other big takeaway to me in addition to maintaining "strength on the bar" was to make sure you continue to consume enough, of not a little more, protein while in a deficit.

I've lost a fair amount of weight in the last couple of years, but this will be my first real "cut" if that makes any sense.

I added and adjusted some elements of the program as well. A bit more core and stability work to compensate for a tweaky back and more cardio at my dog's insistence.

I am actually working on getting the name changed to weight gaining and bodybuilding; especially since we talk about the entire spectrum here and many of the advanced members hang out here. But with the holidays at lot of the people who can do it are out of office.

That's a great idea!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    A couple questions..

When following a program, specifically a 5-day program, how important is it to get in all 5 days in a 7-day period? Would an extra rest day every once in a while have much effect?

Also, how important is it to lift only as the program details? What I mean to ask is if it's detrimental to do any other lifting? I plan to follow a program in the evenings and stick to cardio and stretching in the mornings, but that squat rack tends to call my name. I need to know how hard to resist..
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    What are your goals??
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    Mostly to lean out at this point, but I wouldn't mind improving my strength too.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    5 day workouts are fine, 2 days off is perfect allows your body to rest. I would begin with 5 min of cardio to warm up and end with 15 min of fairly intense cardio
    whats your program look like?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    A couple questions..

When following a program, specifically a 5-day program, how important is it to get in all 5 days in a 7-day period? Would an extra rest day every once in a while have much effect?

Also, how important is it to lift only as the program details? What I mean to ask is if it's detrimental to do any other lifting? I plan to follow a program in the evenings and stick to cardio and stretching in the mornings, but that squat rack tends to call my name. I need to know how hard to resist..

IMO, if you are already looking to modify it and it doesn't incorporate moves that you enjoy and are effective, its not the program for you. I would probably look for a 4 day program if you feel you cant do a 5day program in 7 days, especially of recovery is a concern.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    A couple questions..

IMO, if you are already looking to modify it and it doesn't incorporate moves that you enjoy and are effective, its not the program for you. I would probably look for a 4 day program if you feel you cant do a 5day program in 7 days, especially of recovery is a concern.

Yeah, this. If you really want to squat (or whatever else you'd use the squat rack for), and are physically able to squat, then follow some programming that calls for squats.

As almost always - find something you like and do it. Given your stated goals, you can probably pick almost any decent plan and get good results.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    It's not that I'm already looking to modify.. it's just that the hubby and I will be doing it together, and he's not necessarily as motivated as I am to follow it exactly. It does include squats but not as often as I'm used to doing them, but if extra squats would be detrimental to any progress I can avoid it. I just know myself and know I'll be tempted in the mornings, so I wanted to address it now. We're looking at starting the Max Adaptation Upper Lower (MAUL) program that's mentioned in the original post.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It's not that I'm already looking to modify.. it's just that the hubby and I will be doing it together, and he's not necessarily as motivated as I am to follow it exactly. It does include squats but not as often as I'm used to doing them, but if extra squats would be detrimental to any progress I can avoid it. I just know myself and know I'll be tempted in the mornings, so I wanted to address it now. We're looking at starting the Max Adaptation Upper Lower (MAUL) program that's mentioned in the original post.

So let me ask, why did you choose that program? How long have you been lifting?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    We've been lifting for about a year and a half. I chose it was on the list here and because it seems doable for us. I've been considering trying a structured program for a while now, but we've gotten comfortable with our routine. This program has a good number of lifts we already do and some new ones, so we're comfortable trying it. Any insight is much appreciated though, as I definitely don't have experience with programming.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    *chose it because
  • psuLemon
    Options
    We've been lifting for about a year and a half. I chose it was on the list here and because it seems doable for us. I've been considering trying a structured program for a while now, but we've gotten comfortable with our routine. This program has a good number of lifts we already do and some new ones, so we're comfortable trying it. Any insight is much appreciated though, as I definitely don't have experience with programming.

Did you follow a progressive overload program before or just random stuff for a year? How about your husband?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    Progressive overload for both of us.. just a three-day split that we came up with. It's gotten results, but there's been no expertise behind it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Progressive overload for both of us.. just a three-day split that we came up with. It's gotten results, but there's been no expertise behind it.

Typically i would suggest a program that has more focus with your core lifts (e.g., stronglift) as it would provide a great foundation for other future programs. If you are looking to cut weight and might not be able to do a 5 day, then either PHUL or Wendler could be a good choice. Alternatively, there are programs like Bigger, Leaner, Stronger which have 3, 4 and 5 day variations that could be worth looking into.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

3 or 6 workouts per week?
    I'm curious how many days and/or hours you want to lift.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options

Typically i would suggest a program that has more focus with your core lifts (e.g., stronglift) as it would provide a great foundation for other future programs. If you are looking to cut weight and might not be able to do a 5 day, then either PHUL or Wendler could be a good choice. Alternatively, there are programs like Bigger, Leaner, Stronger which have 3, 4 and 5 day variations that could be worth looking into.

Thanks for the advice!
    _benjammin wrote: »

At my most consistent I was lifting between 5 and 6 days a week, and I'd like to get back to that. I felt really good when I was doing it.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thanks for the advice!
    _benjammin wrote: »

At my most consistent I was lifting between 5 and 6 days a week, and I'd like to get back to that. I felt really good when I was doing it.

TBH, very few people would benefit from that many lifting days, especially as a relative new lifter. Its one reason so many beginner programs are 3 day full body routines.
  • lachiespior
    lachiespior Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Those are some really great programs! I suggest for beginners they keep it simple! Stick to the basics and master those. You shouldn't try to curl a 20kg dumbell if you haven't curled 10kg before. Here is a site i found helpful with heaps of awesome guidelines for beginners idealtestosterone.com/easy-workout-plan-for-home-gym/ Hope it helps some of you! let me know if it does!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thinking of trying the http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Only problem is I don't have a bench. I have dumbells and resistant bands. Any issue just using the floor for the bench press and bands for the pull ups? And can a deadlift be done with dumbells?