Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thinking of trying the http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Only problem is I don't have a bench. I have dumbells and resistant bands. Any issue just using the floor for the bench press and bands for the pull ups? And can a deadlift be done with dumbells?

The issue with floor chest press if you can't get the full range of motion. It will still be better than nothing but considering a bench, a reinforced stability ball or a step (you see these in step arobics) is an option too.

For deadlift, there are multiple variations that can be done with dumbbells. The bigger issue at some point is going to be grip strength and the ability to lift more. But you can definitely start with DBDL.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Thinking of trying the http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Only problem is I don't have a bench. I have dumbells and resistant bands. Any issue just using the floor for the bench press and bands for the pull ups? And can a deadlift be done with dumbells?

The issue with floor chest press if you can't get the full range of motion. It will still be better than nothing but considering a bench, a reinforced stability ball or a step (you see these in step arobics) is an option too.

For deadlift, there are multiple variations that can be done with dumbbells. The bigger issue at some point is going to be grip strength and the ability to lift more. But you can definitely start with DBDL.

Thanks. I got a step for Christmas, so I can try that.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Just find a veteran power lifter to help you. Being bombarded by all those Internet programs is confusing to a beginner. Old school guy preferably, not an Internet lifter.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I just Beyond Bigger Leaner and Stronger by Mike Matthews. Anyone tried it. I will be on my 4th year of lifting.

I actually just started my 2nd week of it. I like it so far. I am doing the 4 day program.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I also tried the Upper/Lower routine from aworkoutroutine.com , I highly recommend it.

Yes! I loooooove that program!

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Just to say that after the advice given last month, I have implemented a PPLUL programme and am really enjoying it. Hitting muscle groups twice a week after years of "bro splits" is proving to work for my body.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Just to say that after the advice given last month, I have implemented a PPLUL programme and am really enjoying it. Hitting muscle groups twice a week after years of "bro splits" is proving to work for my body.

That is awesome to hear.
  • trigden1991
    Options

That is awesome to hear.

I don't want to say it but it would seem I am building muscle in a deficit................
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I also tried the Upper/Lower routine from aworkoutroutine.com , I highly recommend it.

I'm just starting that myself, albeit with a lighter weight than I want to.

I've been forced to acknowledge certain limitations lol, but where there's a will there's a way, and I've come too far to stop now.
  • psuLemon
    Options

That is awesome to hear.

I don't want to say it but it would seem I am building muscle in a deficit................

It's possible, especially since you are young. At the very least, you are getting stronger due to CNS adaptations.

Now the bigger question is, how mad are you for running a bro-split for so long :lol:
  • trigden1991
    edited January 2017
    Options

That is awesome to hear.

It's possible, especially since you are young. At the very least, you are getting stronger due to CNS adaptations.

Now the bigger question is, how mad are you for running a bro-split for so long :lol:

It served me well for a few years. Let's see what the next 12 weeks bring
  • amy4selflove
    amy4selflove Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This thread is so helpful with lots of great information. Thanks OP!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    This thread is so helpful with lots of great information. Thanks OP!

Thank you. If you have any questions, please free to post or friend me.
  • Cylphin60
    Options

That is awesome to hear.

I have a really newb question. Exactly what is a "Bro-split?" I see bro this and bro that everywhere lol and my 1970s formatted cranium doesn't get it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

That is awesome to hear.

I have a really newb question. Exactly what is a "Bro-split?" I see bro this and bro that everywhere lol and my 1970s formatted cranium doesn't get it.

Bro Split = body part split

Example:

Mon: Arms
    Tues: Legs
    Wed: chest
    Thu: back
    Fri: shoulders+abs
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Thanks SideSteel :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

That is awesome to hear.

Bro splits are typically low frequency lifting peograms that target muscle groups once per week. I suspect they were made possible because many body builders would follow it. But many of them are using drugs.