Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Any feedback on The Strength Athlete 9 week intermediate program?
    http://thestrengthathlete.com/freebies/

It looks fairly straightforward as far as giving explaination about how to run the program. Lots of info about RPE. (Personally I think it can still take some time to truly understand the RPE system, even though they gave a very thourough explaination. By that I just mean you'll learn it over time through familiarity with the lifts.)
    It's definetly geared towards an intermediate lifter.
    If you haven't exhausted your linear gains yet I would look into something like that first. (I would consider intermediate to be several years of strength training/not able to improve linearly any more.)

Hmm, not sure how to tell if I have exhausted linear gains or not. I have been lifting 1.25 years, but all gains have been quite hard fought and I often stall.

What program are you doing currently?
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options

It looks fairly straightforward as far as giving explaination about how to run the program. Lots of info about RPE. (Personally I think it can still take some time to truly understand the RPE system, even though they gave a very thourough explaination. By that I just mean you'll learn it over time through familiarity with the lifts.)
    If you haven't exhausted your linear gains yet I would look into something like that first. (I would consider intermediate to be several years of strength training/not able to improve linearly any more.)

Hmm, not sure how to tell if I have exhausted linear gains or not. I have been lifting 1.25 years, but all gains have been quite hard fought and I often stall.

Started out with the book Strong, sequel to New Rules of Lifting for Women, did that for 9 months. Then did Strong Curves for a while. Currently 9 weeks into a template put out by Brad Dieter of Eat to Perform...it's 4 days a week with one day focused on each lift (squat, DL, BP, OHP) + accessories. So I guess in other words a "bro split" :) I've actually seen most progress with that as compared to the others but most likely just a lot of added volume. So thinking about switching to a 4 day/week focused more on the compound lifts. For a couple reasons, liked this better than 5/3/1.
  • not_a_runner
    Options

Started out with the book Strong, sequel to New Rules of Lifting for Women, did that for 9 months. Then did Strong Curves for a while. Currently 9 weeks into a template put out by Brad Dieter of Eat to Perform...it's 4 days a week with one day focused on each lift (squat, DL, BP, OHP) + accessories. So I guess in other words a "bro split" :) I've actually seen most progress with that as compared to the others but most likely just a lot of added volume. So thinking about switching to a 4 day/week focused more on the compound lifts. For a couple reasons, liked this better than 5/3/1.

I'm not very familiar with the Eat to Perform programs, but I'm guessing it's more strength focused than the programs you've done previously if it's focusing on the "big 4".
    If you're seeing progress with that I would stick with it a while.
    I don't think you're ready for an intermediate powerlifitng program with your current experience.

5/3/1 is often run with one day per week dedicated to each of the big 4 and accessories (but there are variations to this), I guess you might call it somewhat of a "bro split" if you ran it the traditional way. (I personally run it as an upper/lower split.) I am a big fan of 5/3/1, I would recommend getting Wendler's books if you were interested in learning more about it. There's a lot more info in the books than what you can find online.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    @psuLemon or anyone else with an opinion. I have been running SS for about 3 months. Now that I'm lifting heavier I'm having recovery issues with squats. I am on week two of a break, but plan on de-loading and starting back up next week. Any suggestions for modifications to allow for proper recovery? I've considered two days , but would still like to do each press more than once a week. I could probably BP and Press both days, but time is tight at the gym right now, so I was considering a possible 4 day split, maybe Squat Press Monday & Thursday , BP PC Tuesday, BP DL Friday and then maybe some accessory lifts as time allows. Any other suggestions? A HLM squat schedule perhaps. I enjoy the simplicity of the program plus I have the app for easy tracking, so I would like to keep running it until I exhaust my LPGA and need an intermediate program.

Have you looked into running Madcow as an alternative?

I had considered it as an option when I transition to an intermediate program, but thought I probably have plenty of gains left just running a straight LP on the other 3 main lifts. Any suggestions for accessory lifts, chin ups are the only thing recommended.

I see two options right off the top of my head:

1: Run SS as is, except run your squats on the Madcow progression - so you'll still do squats 3x/week, but the first day will be 1x5, day 2 will be basically just warmups, and the third day will be 1x3 at a heavier weight than your 1x5 day.

2: Run SS for everything else, but use 5/3/1 (or GZCL or some other intermediate programming) for your squats. You could either just squat 1x per week, or have the normal 5/3/1 heavy squats one day, with a lighter-weight, higher-volume (like BBB, 3-5x8-12) day on day 3.

There are plenty of other options, but those seemed like the two most obvious things - like I said, off the top of my head.

Another squat option is Hatch Squat Program, it's a 2 X per week program consist of FS and BS. Starts out in the 70% area of your 1RM right out the gate! Very easy to work in with everything else.
  • AigreDoux
    Options

I'm not very familiar with the Eat to Perform programs, but I'm guessing it's more strength focused than the programs you've done previously if it's focusing on the "big 4".
    I don't think you're ready for an intermediate powerlifitng program with your current experience.

5/3/1 is often run with one day per week dedicated to each of the big 4 and accessories (but there are variations to this), I guess you might call it somewhat of a "bro split" if you ran it the traditional way. (I personally run it as an upper/lower split.) I am a big fan of 5/3/1, I would recommend getting Wendler's books if you were interested in learning more about it. There's a lot more info in the books than what you can find online.

Thanks! Yeah I have the 5/3/1 books but didn't love the idea of that program. I can't really remember why. Maybe I should give it a second look.

I'm wanting to get off the eat to perform program when I finish this cycle cause it is taking too long. It takes me usually at least 1.5-1.75 hours, so I'm having to get up st 4:15, and I want a bit more sleep. I could type out the whole program, but for an example, today was
    Back squats, warm up then 5x2
    RDL 4x8
    RFESS 4x8
    reverse lunge 4x8
    Back extension 4x30
    Farmer walks 4x40 ft
    2 ab exercises which I didn't even finish yet so I need to go back and do tonight.
  • not_a_runner
    Options

Thanks! Yeah I have the 5/3/1 books but didn't love the idea of that program. I can't really remember why. Maybe I should give it a second look.

I'm wanting to get off the eat to perform program when I finish this cycle cause it is taking too long. It takes me usually at least 1.5-1.75 hours, so I'm having to get up st 4:15, and I want a bit more sleep. I could type out the whole program, but for an example, today was
    RDL 4x8
    RFESS 4x8
    reverse lunge 4x8
    Back extension 4x30
    Farmer walks 4x40 ft
    2 ab exercises which I didn't even finish yet so I need to go back and do tonight.

For reference, when I do two compound lifts (squat and deadlift/ squat and bench/etc) it usually takes me at least an hour to do warm up and working sets for both lifts. So the program you were looking at may not save you that much time compared to what you're doing now any way. (It wouldn't for me at least.)
    Have you tried supersetting any accessory work?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I missed an answer to this question up thread: So I currently have a tiny home gym and have started running a dumbbell program suggested on the first page. My question is, what can I do to make the lower body work more difficult? I'm used to squatting/deadlifting ~200 pounds and so my dumbbell squats and deads seem ridiculous. Should I just do more reps? I'm not in a position to buy an oly bar or rack for my place or heavier dumbbells...yet, so I'm just looking for ideas on increasing intensity until I can pony up the cash for more equipment.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    @3bambi3
    Are you doing Bulgarian(rear foot elevated) split leg squats?
    Single Leg Romanian deadlifts?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed an answer to this question up thread: So I currently have a tiny home gym and have started running a dumbbell program suggested on the first page. My question is, what can I do to make the lower body work more difficult? I'm used to squatting/deadlifting ~200 pounds and so my dumbbell squats and deads seem ridiculous. Should I just do more reps? I'm not in a position to buy an oly bar or rack for my place or heavier dumbbells...yet, so I'm just looking for ideas on increasing intensity until I can pony up the cash for more equipment.

Im not sure of your goals, but more reps isn't the answer necessarily.

Paused and tempos will give you more of the feeling of more intensity without the actual load.

Also could do some unilateral work until you get the big weights.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon or anyone else with an opinion. I have been running SS for about 3 months. Now that I'm lifting heavier I'm having recovery issues with squats. I am on week two of a break, but plan on de-loading and starting back up next week. Any suggestions for modifications to allow for proper recovery? I've considered two days , but would still like to do each press more than once a week. I could probably BP and Press both days, but time is tight at the gym right now, so I was considering a possible 4 day split, maybe Squat Press Monday & Thursday , BP PC Tuesday, BP DL Friday and then maybe some accessory lifts as time allows. Any other suggestions? A HLM squat schedule perhaps. I enjoy the simplicity of the program plus I have the app for easy tracking, so I would like to keep running it until I exhaust my LPGA and need an intermediate program.

You ever look into 12 ways to skin the Texas method?

• 3bambi3
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    @3bambi3
    Are you doing Bulgarian(rear foot elevated) split leg squats?
    Single Leg Romanian deadlifts?

Forgot about single leg deadlifts, thanks!
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Im not sure of your goals, but more reps isn't the answer necessarily.

Paused and tempos will give you more of the feeling of more intensity without the actual load.

Also could do some unilateral work until you get the big weights.

Goal is to drop 10 pounds and then recomp.

I haven't tried tempo, but will look into it. Thanks!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I didn't go with 5/3/1 because I thought it was unnecessarily complex. If you think, simpler is better like I do, I don't think you'll just find the same thing upon a second look.

I think you can do equally well with other programs. Personally, I am using the Waterbury 10x3 method which works well for me but there are any number of other "simpler" intermediate programs that you could try.

• AigreDoux
    Options

RDL 4x8
    RFESS 4x8
    reverse lunge 4x8
    Back extension 4x30
    Farmer walks 4x40 ft

For reference, when I do two compound lifts (squat and deadlift/ squat and bench/etc) it usually takes me at least an hour to do warm up and working sets for both lifts. So the program you were looking at may not save you that much time compared to what you're doing now any way. (It wouldn't for me at least.)
    Have you tried supersetting any accessory work?

Thanks, yeah have tried supersetting but it doesn't seem to save me much time. A 1 hour workout would be so much better than 1.5 or 1.75. So really looking for something in that range but not really sure where to go from here.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Push, legs, pull, rest & repeat seems to be working for me. Moderate weight with hypertrophy type set / rep range and various work around lifts for the old man joint issues. Good results for keeping lean and hopefully helping with bone density as I go into the 3rd quarter of life. ;-)
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose about 5 lbs then just tone. I'm not interested in the 5*5 one.... do you recommend any full body workouts I could do? I have a cable machine, treadmill, 8,10,20,25 and 30 lb dumbells and a barbell with weights up to 35 each. And a power tour. I've been lifting weights for about 3 months nothing steady just my own routine I do. Which is HITT Monday's and Wednesdays and weights Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays. I do it all. I bench 3 sets of 8 45 lb( am I even saying that right?) and I squat 3 sets of 8 90 lb and dead lift same as squat. Any help or advice?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    @Famof72015 What do you not like about 5x5? Are you looking for something with more accessories to use your dumbbells? What do you think of strong curves?
  • Famof72015
    Options
    @Famof72015 What do you not like about 5x5? Are you looking for something with more accessories to use your dumbbells? What do you think of strong curves?

I just think I will get more toned using my barbell rather then dumbells. No what's strong curves?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »

I just think I will get more toned using my barbell rather then dumbells. No what's strong curves?

5x5 program are barbell based. And i just had a client go from 23% bf down to 16% bf with a dumbbell program in 6 months and she only lost 6 lbs.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Famof72015 wrote: »

5x5 program are barbell based. And i just had a client go from 23% bf down to 16% bf with a dumbbell program in 6 months and she only lost 6 lbs.

So can you help me?!