Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    @Famof72015 I thought you had a coach helping you out? Are there no programs on the first page that catch your interest?
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @Famof72015 I thought you had a coach helping you out? Are there no programs on the first page that catch your interest?

That ended beginning of feb. I prefer someone to work with via online. It's easier for me to follow, more helpful.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Thanks! Yeah I have the 5/3/1 books but didn't love the idea of that program. I can't really remember why. Maybe I should give it a second look.

I didn't go with 5/3/1 because I thought it was unnecessarily complex. If you think, simpler is better like I do, I don't think you'll just find the same thing upon a second look.

I think you can do equally well with other programs. Personally, I am using the Waterbury 10x3 method which works well for me but there are any number of other "simpler" intermediate programs that you could try.

At it's core, 5/3/1 is very simple actually. Jim just intentionally built a lot of possibilities into the accessory work, so it's a program that can be modified to work for almost any goal.

Blackironbarbell has a really good calculator that you can use for it, that lets you select all of the variables that you want from 5/3/1, 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, Beyond 5/3/1, and all of the other random accessory/warmup stuff that Wendler's written in his blog, on challenges, etc.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah I have the 5/3/1 books but didn't love the idea of that program. I can't really remember why. Maybe I should give it a second look.

I didn't go with 5/3/1 because I thought it was unnecessarily complex. If you think, simpler is better like I do, I don't think you'll just find the same thing upon a second look.

I think you can do equally well with other programs. Personally, I am using the Waterbury 10x3 method which works well for me but there are any number of other "simpler" intermediate programs that you could try.

At it's core, 5/3/1 is very simple actually. Jim just intentionally built a lot of possibilities into the accessory work, so it's a program that can be modified to work for almost any goal.

Blackironbarbell has a really good calculator that you can use for it, that lets you select all of the variables that you want from 5/3/1, 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, Beyond 5/3/1, and all of the other random accessory/warmup stuff that Wendler's written in his blog, on challenges, etc.

Do you mean Black Iron Beast? (Or is there another awesome calc out there that I'm not aware of?)

I agree, I find 5/3/1 to be pretty simple, and using the calc to print it off makes it so you hardly even have to think about it. Goes hand in hand with the infor from the books etc. and it really can be molded to fit any goals or schedules. (And once you have your base program established you can really just add 5-10 lbs at the start of each new cycle. Easy.)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    My goal is to lose about 5 lbs then just tone. I'm not interested in the 5*5 one.... do you recommend any full body workouts I could do? I have a cable machine, treadmill, 8,10,20,25 and 30 lb dumbells and a barbell with weights up to 35 each. And a power tour. I've been lifting weights for about 3 months nothing steady just my own routine I do. Which is HITT Monday's and Wednesdays and weights Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays. I do it all. I bench 3 sets of 8 45 lb( am I even saying that right?) and I squat 3 sets of 8 90 lb and dead lift same as squat. Any help or advice?

Have a look at the All Pro programme if you don't like 5x5. It is a rep progression (8-12) rather than weight progression. One increases the weights every 5 weeks rather than every session, but increases reps every week. With your limited equipment you may find this satisfactory.

Because you increase reps you 1RM is increasing weekly so you are constantly progressing.

Cheers, h.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Do you mean Black Iron Beast? (Or is there another awesome calc out there that I'm not aware of?)

I agree, I find 5/3/1 to be pretty simple, and using the calc to print it off makes it so you hardly even have to think about it. Goes hand in hand with the infor from the books etc. and it really can be molded to fit any goals or schedules. (And once you have your base program established you can really just add 5-10 lbs at the start of each new cycle. Easy.)

Yeah, blackironbeast. Thanks for that. I had a derp.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options

That ended beginning of feb. I prefer someone to work with via online. It's easier for me to follow, more helpful.

Stronglifts has a website with a pdf workout schedule, StrongCurves also has a pdf schedule. They both follow a 3 day per week cycle. Just google either one to check it out. Stronglifts is the basice 5: squat, bench, OHP, rows, deadlift. StrongCurves is more glute based, but incorporates the whole body and is more complex.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

What are you actually looking for? An online coach? Someone to set up the nutrition and exercise component? Someone to walk to step by step through everything?

@SideSteel is supposed to be a good coach..
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

@SideSteel is a great coach..
    ;-)
    And does one time programming set up.

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    _benjammin wrote: »
    @3bambi3
    Are you doing Bulgarian(rear foot elevated) split leg squats?
    Single Leg Romanian deadlifts?

Forgot about single leg deadlifts, thanks!

Another option:
    Swiss ball Supine hip extension with leg Curl
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the "A workout routine/muscle building routine" for about 8 weeks now (love it!) but I'm really starting to struggle with the weight increase for some lifts.

What's best to do at that point?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I've been doing the "A workout routine/muscle building routine" for about 8 weeks now (love it!) but I'm really starting to struggle with the weight increase for some lifts.

Well, as a blanket answer due to not being familiar with the progression scheme of said program... progress reps or sets instead? Go for more overall volume as a means of progressions.

For example, if it calls for 3x10... increase to 4x10 or you can maybe do 3x10 and then shave off 10% of that working weight to hit some additional sets at a lower weight. Lots of ways to go about it tbh.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Which lifts? And what, exactly, is the struggle? Is it the actual weight, such that you have a hard time doing 1-2 reps? Or is it that you're getting to 4-5 reps, but can't seem to get to the 6-8 (or whatever it is for those lifts)?

Generally speaking, isolation lifts (lateral raises, curls, tris...) will stall out before compounds (squats, bench, etc). Provided, of course, you didn't start too heavy on compounds and/or too light on isolations. What LolBroScience mentioned is good. Or, you could try a different variation of the lift - such as hammer curls or barbell curls instead of dumbbell curls, for example.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Which lifts? And what, exactly, is the struggle? Is it the actual weight, such that you have a hard time doing 1-2 reps? Or is it that you're getting to 4-5 reps, but can't seem to get to the 6-8 (or whatever it is for those lifts)?

Generally speaking, isolation lifts (lateral raises, curls, tris...) will stall out before compounds (squats, bench, etc). Provided, of course, you didn't start too heavy on compounds and/or too light on isolations. What LolBroScience mentioned is good. Or, you could try a different variation of the lift - such as hammer curls or barbell curls instead of dumbbell curls, for example.

Mhm, agreed.

Didn't think to mention any of this due to low amount of coffee consumed thus far.
  • cnbbnc
    Options

It's primarily bench/incline bench/overhead press. I'm at the point where I should be bumping the weight up again, but it feels so damned heavy now that I can barely squeak anything out.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I didnt see where any advice was given along with the workout as to what to do with this...hence my asking here.

I'll just add extra reps/sets I guess.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Upper body is what I'd expect, so that seems normal.

He's got a FAQ at the Bottom of the page that may address - at least, in a roundabout way - your issue.
    What if it all just seems like it’s too much for me? Like I need to do a little less or something? What’s the best way to do that?

You have 3 choices here.

1: You can reduce frequency. This would definitely be my first choice. If you’re using the 4 day upper/lower split, just switch to the 3 day version. The slightly lowered frequency/extra day of rest between each workout should GREATLY improve any recovery related issues you may have. If you’re already using the 3 day version and it still seems like it’s too much for you, see below.

2: You can reduce volume. Change all of the exercises that call for 3 sets of 8-10 to 2 sets of 10 instead. If it STILL feels like it’s too much for you, see below.

3: You can remove accessory isolation exercises. For example, remove lateral raises and dumbbell flyes from the upper body workouts.

You can do a combination of the 3 choices above.

Of course, that advice (particularly #2) goes against conventional advice. But, it might be a good idea, if recovery is an issue.

I think it might be a good idea to first, go up in reps. So instead of 3x6-8, 3x8-10 or even 3x10-12. Then add another set, so you're going for 4xwhatever. Once you can do the 4xwhatever, then try adding 5 lb (or less, if you have fractional plates, such as 1 or 1.25 lb) and going back to 3x6-8. Since it is supposed to be a muscle building workout, added volume shouldn't be a bad thing. If doing this, and you feel you're having recovery issues, then maybe cut out the isolation lifts. One other thing mentioned on the website is that, if you're having recovery issues, then cutting down from a 4x/week schedule to 3x/week might help.

Obviously, another programming mode, such as GZCL or 5/3/1 might be in order. If nothing else, for those lifts it could work.
  • cnbbnc
    Options

He's got a FAQ at the Bottom of the page that may address - at least, in a roundabout way - your issue.
    What if it all just seems like it’s too much for me? Like I need to do a little less or something? What’s the best way to do that?

You have 3 choices here.

1: You can reduce frequency. This would definitely be my first choice. If you’re using the 4 day upper/lower split, just switch to the 3 day version. The slightly lowered frequency/extra day of rest between each workout should GREATLY improve any recovery related issues you may have. If you’re already using the 3 day version and it still seems like it’s too much for you, see below.

2: You can reduce volume. Change all of the exercises that call for 3 sets of 8-10 to 2 sets of 10 instead. If it STILL feels like it’s too much for you, see below.

3: You can remove accessory isolation exercises. For example, remove lateral raises and dumbbell flyes from the upper body workouts.

Of course, that advice (particularly #2) goes against conventional advice. But, it might be a good idea, if recovery is an issue.

I think it might be a good idea to first, go up in reps. So instead of 3x6-8, 3x8-10 or even 3x10-12. Then add another set, so you're going for 4xwhatever. Once you can do the 4xwhatever, then try adding 5 lb (or less, if you have fractional plates, such as 1 or 1.25 lb) and going back to 3x6-8. Since it is supposed to be a muscle building workout, added volume shouldn't be a bad thing. If doing this, and you feel you're having recovery issues, then maybe cut out the isolation lifts. One other thing mentioned on the website is that, if you're having recovery issues, then cutting down from a 4x/week schedule to 3x/week might help.

Obviously, another programming mode, such as GZCL or 5/3/1 might be in order. If nothing else, for those lifts it could work.

Yeah....I don't like #2 at all, but I'll increase the reps/sets. I never thought about the 3 day per week workout. I've always done 4 days, but maybe that's too much for me now and I haven't realized it....

I really appreciate you pulling up that info for me. Maybe one day I'll try 5/3/1, but I've been enjoying this program and I'd hate to give it up. :neutral:
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

You have 3 choices here.

Yeah....I don't like #2 at all, but I'll increase the reps/sets. I never thought about the 3 day per week workout. I've always done 4 days, but maybe that's too much for me now and I haven't realized it....

I really appreciate you pulling up that info for me. Maybe one day I'll try 5/3/1, but I've been enjoying this program and I'd hate to give it up. :neutral:

Also, you're working in a deficit (am I correct?) so I would assume you're not going increase volume as quickly as you did when you were bulking. I'm doing the same program and I've really enjoyed cutting back from the 5 day split I was doing to a 4 day. I've also stalled on overhead press and lateral raises. I think adding in an extra set is the way to go (for me).
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

You have 3 choices here.

Also, you're working in a deficit (am I correct?) so I would assume you're not going increase volume as quickly as you did when you were bulking. I'm doing the same program and I've really enjoyed cutting back from the 5 day split I was doing to a 4 day. I've also stalled on overhead press and lateral raises. I think adding in an extra set is the way to go (for me).

Flipping between deficit and maintenance...yeah, but now strictly at maintenance. I know OHP gives everybody grief, but I've never felt like right out of the gate I can't move something at all, and it's been several workouts now vs one bad day.