Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Nice. You can check out Jeff Nippard as well. Hr has a technique Tuesday series. Bret Contreras is awesome as well.

Thank you! I am aware of Jeff b/c he is dating Stephanie. I watched his video on hip thrusts b/c I needed a quick refresher and it was really well produced and explained. I definitely see why you would recommend him. The video links that she has in her pdf are about 30 seconds, so they're good resources, but not enough for a complete noob.

I was wondering if there was something wrong with me b/c I couldn't get into Strong Curves, which I am sure is unheard of b/c he's the father of hip thrusts. I tried to follow it a few times but I would never complete the first workout. Idk if mentally I just wasn't ready. Bret by himself talking about it, I enjoy but his program just didn't connect with me mentally which I am a little sad about.

His programs aren't for everyone. They are typically full body, higher volume, less focus on upper body which might not jive well with all people. You gotta do what works for you
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Right now I kinda do my own thing but I feel it's a well structured program...

Legs
    Push
    Pull
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Run (35min)
    Rest

Each workout is it's own animal utilizing various equipment, bars, cables, dumbbells, body weight, in varying angles in varying rep ranges, some lifts in 4-6, some as many as 12-15

Trying to focus more on legs, and shoulders are important to me so they get their own day...

Also worth noting, every lifting day I spend about 15 minutes on the bow flex max trainer (~300 calories) which has been a major knee savor for me as an alternative to running... Calves and abs also done between sets on lifting days.

And I usually get about 10k steps in per day at work...
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Anyone complete German Volume Training lately?
  • 2omonths
    2omonths Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Saving for later!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    After not lifting for almost a year, I started Stephanie Buttermore's full body beginner program yesterday and my god are my legs & glutes weak af. My arms & back are pretty strong because I pole dance, and pole develops strong arms and backs because you are constantly lifting yourself onto the pole. I was there forever because those rest breaks are real and definitely needed. But I did it and I really enjoyed myself.

I randomly came across Stephanie because of her recap of her "all-in" year, and I'm really happy I did because she's wicked smart and it shows in her program. Luckily, I came across her when all of her programs were on sale, so I grabbed the beginner and intermediate programs.

Nice. Would be great to have feedback once you get thru the workout.

I'm closing week 7 of her women's beginner program. I like it a lot, the transition into unilateral movements in the same vein, in the second block, highlights how one sided it is possible to get in some movements (particularly for me it is something I think about as I skate derby on a banked track which definitely builds uneven strength). I'm planning to repeat it one more time and see what I see, though that means walking lunges and I are going to have to meet again... :s

I also like her messaging even more these days, now she's less concerned about that Instagram physique.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    What a great thread.
    I’d be really grateful for some advice:
    I get a bit overwhelmed by all the choice- what would you recommend for someone who wants to move from specific olympic weightlifting training to a programme that develops a more hybrid, versatile, leaner (and stronger), balanced fitness? I go to a gym that has pretty much everything.
    I also have a pull-up bar that I’m scared of. Does anyone have an absolute beginner prog for pull-ups? I can barely hang!
    Thanks.

You can start by hanging on the bar - for your grip strength. Try standing on a stool so you can grip the bar in the up position. get off the stool and lower yourself , slowly, controll the descent as best you can- slow is good - don't just drop. Repeat untill you can pull yourself up. You can try to hold your position part way down.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    After not lifting for almost a year, I started Stephanie Buttermore's full body beginner program yesterday and my god are my legs & glutes weak af. My arms & back are pretty strong because I pole dance, and pole develops strong arms and backs because you are constantly lifting yourself onto the pole. I was there forever because those rest breaks are real and definitely needed. But I did it and I really enjoyed myself.

I randomly came across Stephanie because of her recap of her "all-in" year, and I'm really happy I did because she's wicked smart and it shows in her program. Luckily, I came across her when all of her programs were on sale, so I grabbed the beginner and intermediate programs.

Nice. Would be great to have feedback once you get thru the workout.

I'm closing week 7 of her women's beginner program. I like it a lot, the transition into unilateral movements in the same vein, in the second block, highlights how one sided it is possible to get in some movements (particularly for me it is something I think about as I skate derby on a banked track which definitely builds uneven strength). I'm planning to repeat it one more time and see what I see, though that means walking lunges and I are going to have to meet again... :s

I also like her messaging even more these days, now she's less concerned about that Instagram physique.

Ugh, i hate walking lunges... So I feel you on that. Thanks for the feedback.
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i did 5x5 stronglifts for 4 months and now i want to move on. i now want to build muscles and biceps.

whats the most appropriate program for me to follow coming off of stronglifts? thank you
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    i did 5x5 stronglifts for 4 months and now i want to move on. i now want to build muscles and biceps.

whats the most appropriate program for me to follow coming off of stronglifts? thank you

It's hard to recommend a program based on just you want to build muscle and biceps. Have you trained outside that 4 months or are you largely still a new lifter? Are you losing weight, bulking or maintaining? How many days do you lift or willing to lift? How does your diet look?

In a general sense, you could always add additional bicep (and tricep since you want to hit all heads of the arm) moves to your current program if you are still seeing progression. Also in a n=1, I loved PHAT and it had a good amount of arm volume.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I’ve done PHUL for ab 7 months now. Should I be changing up routine? I’m thinking not since I have been progressing!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    I’ve done PHUL for ab 7 months now. Should I be changing up routine? I’m thinking not since I have been progressing!!

As long as you keep progressing and continue to enjoy it, there is no reason to switch IMO.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Today I am starting week 7 of the full body 8-week program by Stephanie Buttermore. Seeing as I have 2 more weeks left, it has me thinking of what to do next. Whether I redo the full body program or if I do her 4 day upper/lower 8 week program.

I've done a bit of reading and I've read that you should take a break from lifting every once in awhile. I am wondering if it's okay to jump right into another 8 week program with no break? Or if I should take a week off? I am going on a dance retreat the last week of April, so in order to complete the 8 week program on time, I'd need to start the new program the 1st week of March. So schedule wise, it would be better for me to go straight into the next program. However, I do not want to injure myself. So if a break is necessary, I will take it.

Any thoughts?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hi All,

Today I am starting week 7 of the full body 8-week program by Stephanie Buttermore. Seeing as I have 2 more weeks left, it has me thinking of what to do next. Whether I redo the full body program or if I do her 4 day upper/lower 8 week program.

I've done a bit of reading and I've read that you should take a break from lifting every once in awhile. I am wondering if it's okay to jump right into another 8 week program with no break? Or if I should take a week off? I am going on a dance retreat the last week of April, so in order to complete the 8 week program on time, I'd need to start the new program the 1st week of March. So schedule wise, it would be better for me to go straight into the next program. However, I do not want to injure myself. So if a break is necessary, I will take it.

Any thoughts?

Given you have only lifted for 7 weeks, another 8 weeks would be fine. If you want a deload week before you start, that would be fine too.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Anyone complete German Volume Training lately?

It's inappropriate for 99.9% of people. Way too much volume without a ounce of auto regulation.

If you care about training and especially if you are natural....I would avoid.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    jonmarrow wrote: »

The Bridge would be my recommendation. One of the few and the only one listed here I would suggest for the general person with long term goals.
  • StarliteTara
    StarliteTara Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I’m so happy I found this topic! I haven’t had time to read everything yet but I’m sure the answer to my question is probably somewhere in here. I’m going to ask anyway..
    I just recently lost 30 lbs and I’m pretty happy with where I’m at as far as weight goes but I need to build muscle and tone up.
    I joined the gym a month ago and I’ve been doing 30 minutes on the treadmill and about an hour lifting. I am a beginner. I sit in an office all day and stare at a computer screen. I’m weak and out of shape.
    I paid for a few sessions with a trainer so that I could learn how to use the machines properly and try to nail down the correct form but here’s my question..
    Can you recommend an app or program of some sort that I can use that can guide me in what to actually do?
    Basically I feel lost when I go..I bounce from machine to machine working the same muscle groups each time which I know is wrong but I don’t really know where to begin.

My goal is to go at least 3 days a week..maybe 4.
    All I’ve been told so far is work a large muscle group with a small and that I could do cardio and abs everytime. I’m going on M, W and F.
    I’m still learning what machine works which muscle so although that sentence makes sense I still don’t really know what to do.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 😁
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I’m so happy I found this topic! I haven’t had time to read everything yet but I’m sure the answer to my question is probably somewhere in here. I’m going to ask anyway..
    I just recently lost 30 lbs and I’m pretty happy with where I’m at as far as weight goes but I need to build muscle and tone up.
    I joined the gym a month ago and I’ve been doing 30 minutes on the treadmill and about an hour lifting. I am a beginner. I sit in an office all day and stare at a computer screen. I’m weak and out of shape.
    I paid for a few sessions with a trainer so that I could learn how to use the machines properly and try to nail down the correct form but here’s my question..
    Can you recommend an app or program of some sort that I can use that can guide me in what to actually do?
    Basically I feel lost when I go..I bounce from machine to machine working the same muscle groups each time which I know is wrong but I don’t really know where to begin.

All I’ve been told so far is work a large muscle group with a small and that I could do cardio and abs everytime. I’m going on M, W and F.
    I’m still learning what machine works which muscle so although that sentence makes sense I still don’t really know what to do.

Working the same muscle groups is not wrong, and progressively adding weight is the method by which you get stronger, and maybe convince the body you need more muscle.

If you want to start with machines, indeed bouncing from one to another not best, usually they aren't laid out best.
    Start with ones that work the biggest muscles first, legs, back, chest, shoulders.
    And then arrange them in an order that swaps between upper & lower body muscles - so you have time for one set to recover before being pulled into another effort.
    And the smallest movers that are used with bigger muscles, like biceps and triceps, come last if at all.
    As far as that order - some of the listed workout plans will show that switch between upper/lower correctly, and can be applied to the machines.

Trying to think back, I think I had - leg press (glute/quad), upper row, leg curl, chest press, some other leg, press up, calf press, pull down.
    3 sets x 12-15 reps, about 2 min rest between. Just share the machine if sticking around for 3 sets.
  • StarliteTara
    StarliteTara Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Working the same muscle groups is not wrong, and progressively adding weight is the method by which you get stronger, and maybe convince the body you need more muscle.

If you want to start with machines, indeed bouncing from one to another not best, usually they aren't laid out best.
    Start with ones that work the biggest muscles first, legs, back, chest, shoulders.
    And then arrange them in an order that swaps between upper & lower body muscles - so you have time for one set to recover before being pulled into another effort.
    And the smallest movers that are used with bigger muscles, like biceps and triceps, come last if at all.
    As far as that order - some of the listed workout plans will show that switch between upper/lower correctly, and can be applied to the machines.

Trying to think back, I think I had - leg press (glute/quad), upper row, leg curl, chest press, some other leg, press up, calf press, pull down.
    3 sets x 12-15 reps, about 2 min rest between. Just share the machine if sticking around for 3 sets.

Thank you for your response. I went tonight and tried to do a little more of a plan but I still think I need to have some kind of a system I can follow on my phone or paper until I kind of get the hang of it.
    I am working hard and it’s bound to be better than nothing so surely that’s a plus. :)

• psuLemon
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Thank you for your response. I went tonight and tried to do a little more of a plan but I still think I need to have some kind of a system I can follow on my phone or paper until I kind of get the hang of it.
    I am working hard and it’s bound to be better than nothing so surely that’s a plus. :)

It's hard to recommend without knowing a bit more specifics into your goal. As you looking to just lower body fat (toning up) or improving a particular thing. For example, I have a few focused goals; 1. to get my bench to 275, 2. abs and 3. to increase my arm size... often girls want to grow Glutes. So for that, I am working on a small surplus, I bench (3x a week) with direct isolation work for my bi's and tri's. Do you want to stick with dumbbells, barbells, etc..? Where do you think you would be comfortable?

You can certainly start with a program like: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

and then transition to a barbell routine. Alternatively, a lot of women tend to focus on programs like: StrongCurves, Thinner Leaner Stronger, NROL4W or even a few have tried Stephanie Buttermores beginner programs. The nice thing about these is they are all books and lay out things nicely.
  • Abs_magee89
    Abs_magee89 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was recently introduced to German Volume training. I don't know if I like it though. It's a really long workout and people get upset when you hog something for 10 sets lol.