Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• CMB44512
    CMB44512 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have my own weights and bench. I watch a variety of workouts on the internet then go to my home gym and do them. A good variety.
  • CMB44512
    CMB44512 Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
  • MamaOne13
    MamaOne13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Anyone use the Candito Squat Program? Thoughts? How did you apply accessory work for upper body?
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For Me! Hypertrophy-Specific Training: (HST) is based on physiological principles of hypertrophy first discovered in the laboratory. These principles were then organized into a "method" of mechanically loading the muscle to induce hypertrophy.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    For myself, stronglifts 5x5. Psychologically, I enjoy the raw barbell work over machines. And it's a very straightforward workout, easy to measure progress. Granted, being a novice, I'm sure I would progress given almost any weight training workout.
  • pennysob
    pennysob Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Looking for best link to light weight work out for a women over 60?
  • PrincezzPri
    PrincezzPri Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Do any of these programs work if you're trying to lose fat and eating less than 2000 calories? I've been doing the dumbbell version of AWR beginner for over a year, not getting any stronger.

Almost any progress in a lifting program is going to be impaired in a diet eventually.

You'll tap out what muscle you already have, body will improve CNS usage of it, and your form improvement will allow increases to weight lifted.
    Eventually though body needs to build more muscle, and if your diet is too extreme that just isn't going to happen.

It's not about how much are you eating less than - it's about how much deficit does it appear you are causing.

How much weight are you losing weekly on average?
    How much are you eating on average (not less than, not about, you should be logging)?

I'd take that requested info and start a specific topic so this specific topic isn't derailed.
  • _faith_hope_love_
    Options
    @pennysob have a look at this one by Hasfit. I found it a good routine to begin with as I was a complete novice at any kind of exercise.
    If you find it too easy Hasfit has a lot of workouts on YouTube, and on their website.

At the beginning of this thread in the list of workouts there are a couple of dumbbell routines that you could follow using weights that are suitable for you now and increasing them as you progress.

https://youtu.be/U0bhE67HuDY

Cheers, h.

Thank you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Having been lifting for over 38 years now, my program is just to keep myself in shape and keep my strength up.

Still do a pyramid of 12,10,8,6 reps progressively increasing weight each set.

I only train one body part a day. So shoulders, chest, biceps, back, triceps, quads, hamstrings. Seven days, seven workouts. Always focus on form and contraction. Each workout except legs takes me about 40 min max.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm going to add some flavor to this since others will be seeing this.

Niner is an advanced lifter - consistent lifting for years, hence this one body part a day program being well suited.

He didn't just get that off tik-tok or other click-bait as bro advice many beginners follow because they heard about it.

Whereas I've been lifting for 30 years - and I'm still a beginner.
    Because after winter and then lower body cardio season kicks in, lower body lifting stops, and eventually upper does too for lack of time.
    So while the experience and knowledge aren't beginner - the consistency of only each winter makes me one for what the term is describing - and that type of program would be sub-optimal for a beginner.
    3 x whole body weekly is optimal, but what works better for me now is 2 x upper/lower split.
  • justlog2day
    justlog2day Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    In 32 years of PL and BB, Most of there are just trendy routines. You have to find what works for you. While it isnt rocket science, most those workouts do nothing for average lifters. My own workout that I've designed is what works for me.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This great thread needs some more time in the sun... Bumpity bump bump!
  • soulo_ridah
    soulo_ridah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    By comparison I'm somewhere between these two, only having lifted for going on 13 years (far less than @ninerbuff), but doing it consistently which makes me physically further than @heybales. So for me, lifting 3x per week with a push-pull-legs routine (each 45 minutes) works. Could another routine work better? If by better you mean make me stronger, leaner, more chiseled, then yes, another routine could do that. But for my purposes as a 44yo father of four teenagers who has a long commute to work and limited time, this path works for me.

You do PPL in 45min? How???
    I do PHUL and its typically 1:15-1:30 with warmups / rest etc.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    I've changed my routine since I made this post, but the short answer is I introduced a stopwatch into my routine. When I first started lifting I'd rest for "about" a minute, two minutes, whatever I had in mind on that particular day, and workouts routinely lasted well over an hour.

But for Christmas one year my young son gave me a watch to use when working out, and he wanted to be with me the first workout I used it. Let me tell you, that little man was a terrible task master, lol. He let me know the very second my rest period was over, verbally spurring me to get back to it, and of course I didn't want to let him down. The resulting workout was shorter by at least 15 minutes and I felt completely blasted after.

During the months following I experimented with rests of different lengths, sometimes requiring me to lower the weight used slightly, but not always. Over time playing with different set/rep schemes, plus becoming quite diligent about using a watch to prompt me to begin the next set on time, my workouts got just as much done in half the time.