No posts about alcohol consumption on here?

Replies

• yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

i mean... i drink a lot ... but nope - no blacking out.

not even when i was in college .....

Same.

I had a roommate in college who drank so much that she blacked out a lot but we're not in college anymore so she doesn't do that anymore. Binge drinking doesn't really help life go smoothly in the real world IMO.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    "I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Do you mean you block the days and drink with no monitoring, or are you talking about physically blacking out from drinking three days a week? The first is changeable, pre log as was previously suggested, and plan. If you're talking about the second, that's not a good thing, and may be indicative of a greater problem, especially if you can't not do it, and I encourage you to seek professional help.

Yeah I mean blacking out from the sauce. Hmmm not going to seek out professional help. I just don't think I want to quit bad enough yet. The only downside to it is the fitness aspect and that I try to beat by doing more in the gym. I like the preloading calories idea tho

Very possible that if you wait until you want to quit badly enough, it will already be too late - bridges burned. It's already hindering your weight loss, fitness, and general health, guaranteed. Probably ditto for your income potential, and probability of having truly health-oriented friends. Totally your call, though.

I've never gone as far as you are, on a consistent basis. But there've been periods in my life where I seriously overdid (binge drinking sometimes, and over-drinking routinely). Would take it back now, if I could. Life with less is better.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Do you mean you block the days and drink with no monitoring, or are you talking about physically blacking out from drinking three days a week? The first is changeable, pre log as was previously suggested, and plan. If you're talking about the second, that's not a good thing, and may be indicative of a greater problem, especially if you can't not do it, and I encourage you to seek professional help.

Yeah I mean blacking out from the sauce. Hmmm not going to seek out professional help. I just don't think I want to quit bad enough yet. The only downside to it is the fitness aspect and that I try to beat by doing more in the gym. I like the preloading calories idea tho

Well. Blacking out regularly is affecting your brain and liver. No amount of gym time is going to fix that.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    You cannot diet or exercise enough to undo 3 days of heavy binge drinking.

Please stop and seek help. My great-grandfather was a weekend drinker like you. He drank himself to death at 35, but the scars of his alcoholism still devastate not only his children, but their children and even the children of his grandchildren.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    lightweight
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    The snarky BTDT side of me has so much to add to this post, but it's just too damn sad.

FWIW, I lost 40lbs in about 3 months on the same diet. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't fun.
  • Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Dude, your 26 years old. I was at that point once in my life. Take it from someone who has been there. If you cant drink in moderation you may want to stop completely. Binge drinking is not a good habit to have. I have been struggling myself since I have turned 21 (I am now 36). I was the "fun" drunk so I it was almost expected of me when me and my friends went out. I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to think about where I wanted to be in 5-10 years.

Some people can go out and have a glass of wine at dinner and that's fine....Once I start the party, it doesn't stop. Then I start making bad decisions. And, once you get older. You don't bounce back. A three day hangover is not fun.

You have to make a choice man. If you are trying to be healthy, quit completely. Hang out with other people who are sober. Try to do things in social circles that does not involve drinking. The sooner you do it, the better everything in your life will be.

If you are going to the gym during the week and then ruining it on the weekends that's pretty self destructive. Not trying to be a buzzkill. Just trying to help a fella out. Good luck.

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Why do you do it?
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

Well normal is an awfully relative idea. If it's something one has done every weekend for as long as he/she can recall would u say that it's normal? As normal as taking a shower if it's part of your routine, right?

I'm guessing 'for as long as you can recall' is also a relative term in your case.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Dude, your 26 years old. I was at that point once in my life. Take it from someone who has been there. If you cant drink in moderation you may want to stop completely. Binge drinking is not a good habit to have. I have been struggling myself since I have turned 21 (I am now 36). I was the "fun" drunk so I it was almost expected of me when me and my friends went out. I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to think about where I wanted to be in 5-10 years.

Some people can go out and have a glass of wine at dinner and that's fine....Once I start the party, it doesn't stop. Then I start making bad decisions. And, once you get older. You don't bounce back. A three day hangover is not fun.

You have to make a choice man. If you are trying to be healthy, quit completely. Hang out with other people who are sober. Try to do things in social circles that does not involve drinking. The sooner you do it, the better everything in your life will be.

If you are going to the gym during the week and then ruining it on the weekends that's pretty self destructive. Not trying to be a buzzkill. Just trying to help a fella out. Good luck.

So you are saying he's got time. 10 years is forever.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

Well normal is an awfully relative idea. If it's something one has done every weekend for as long as he/she can recall would u say that it's normal? As normal as taking a shower if it's part of your routine, right?

By this logic-the heroin addict who is homeless due to his addiction is normal because it is normal for him to be chasing that high/spending money on drugs instead of a home.

Binge drinking can be a symptom of alcoholism. The fact that you say you CANT stop is indicative of it being a huge problem. It took a family member of mine 2 DUIs, a failed marriage and the state taking his children to realize that his binge drinking was an issue. He only drank on days off and for the most part held down a full time job. But when he drank, he would black out and was irresponsible. It got to the point his job let him go because of his second DUI.

Alcoholism is much more than just drinking everyday.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

Your poor liver. God help you.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member

Please speak to someone about your drinking. Blacking out three times a week through alcohol? The least of your problems is it undoing your work at the gym.

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    I head a quote recently - the choices you make dictate the life you lead. If you're going to choose to drink until you blackout - then you choose the consequence. If you're trying to lose weight, that's not the way to do it. Don't get me wrong, I have wine from time to time, and when I do, I log it. I've never thrown up, blacked out or been hungover from having had too much to drink. I don't say that to be a prude or say that I'm better than anybody else, I'm just proud of that. I'm not happy that I'm a huge food addict.

But I digress. Yes, there are people on here who do imbibe. My whole family drinks. It's not a weekend unless someone has beer in their hands. My sister once talked about wanting to lose weight and she was hungry, but drinking a beer. I suggested to her that she have something like protein to eat instead of drinking. She said she'd rather have the beer. That's the choice she made and she's not losing weight.

It's pretty simple really - find other ways to deal with what's bugging you. The alcohol is a symptom of whatever's bothering you. (I use food to eat my way through issues, so I can relate.). It may mean seeing a therapist or counselor. It's helped me a lot.

Whatever you choose - good luck to you.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    By definition, you can't pre-log and out-exercise a blackout drinking binge- you're blacking out. Not only does that mean you're consuming far more calories than you can work off or "save" during the rest of the week to achieve that level of intoxication (especially if you've been doing this for a long time- it's likely you have a high tolerance and have to consume many more drinks than an alcohol-naive person to get the same symptoms of extreme intoxication). Who knows what else you're eating and drinking at the same time.

That said? The weight loss aspect is only the tiniest drop in the bucket of why you should stop this. The damage you're doing to your body is real and may be permanent, and the sooner you stop the better, to say nothing of what you're likely doing to your relationships. I work in an ER and I treat both young people who are maimed or dying from their own drinking or the drunken idiocy of others, and people, often not much older, who are dying (in profoundly painful, ugly, pitiful ways- ever seen an alcoholic with the shakes and what looks like a six-month pregnant belly from ascites hanging off their skinny, stinky frame?) from the long-term consequences of alcohol abuse.

Even if it feels normal to you, even if many people around you do it, binge drinking three days a week is absolutely alcohol abuse, and by persisting, you're on your way to cirrhosis, liver failure, malnutrition, gut bleeds, and brain damage sooner than you think, and hell, even the ever-present possibility of a fatal accident (fatal to you or someone else) during your next blackout. Are you cool with possibly dying every time you go on a binge? Because that happens. Every night, all over the world, people die of what you're doing. I'm one of the people who puts them in body bags and has to see their sobbing families.

That the excess calories from this behavior will eventually make you fat is true, but that's so far down on the list of why this is a terrible idea.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

I'm guessing 'for as long as you can recall' is also a relative term in your case.

+1
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member

Is it normal to drink until you have full blackouts and not fragmentary ones? No. You've pushed that body you're trying to get healthy beyond it's limits.

I've had both, and I can tell you that having temporary amnesia is scary. I have no idea what I said or did during those times, let alone that your ability to make good decisions and control impulses is incredibly low. You may decide working out while you're in a blackout is a really good idea, or getting into your car (http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/articles/alcohol-induced-blackouts-are-not-reserved-for-alcoholics). And of course, it's not.
    Being at that level of drinking means that you could actually get to the point of alcohol poisoning as well.
    Does it mean that you're an alcoholic, no. There are some things we can't answer about your life being that this is just a forum on a website, however. I would think seriously about if you can't stop, the thought of giving it up is abhorrent because you can't live a day/week/month/year without it, then that's your answer.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    tomteboda wrote: »
    You cannot diet or exercise enough to undo 3 days of heavy binge drinking.

Please stop and seek help. My great-grandfather was a weekend drinker like you. He drank himself to death at 35, but the scars of his alcoholism still devastate not only his children, but their children and even the children of his grandchildren.

+1

My grandfather drank frequently to excess on days he did not work (amounted to approx. weekend use). He also smoked. He was not an alcoholic by the usual meaning of the word. He did manage to quit all on his own in his early 40s. Basically, he decided he had gone too far and he stopped dead, from what I've been told. But, it was too late. He died a couple of years later with damage to his liver, lungs, throat and heart. Any one of which singly would have been enough to kill him.