No posts about alcohol consumption on here?

Options
Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There are lots of posts about alcohol consumption.
    That's quite different than posts about backing out 3 days a week.

I have wine most evenings.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of alcohol posts on here. Personally, I don't black out. I pre-log my alcohol calories, leave room for them, and drink what I said I would or less. The good news is I don't even have to wait until weekend.
  • Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

Well normal is an awfully relative idea. If it's something one has done every weekend for as long as he/she can recall would u say that it's normal? As normal as taking a shower if it's part of your routine, right?
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I think that people talk about alcohol on here a lot. Some folks fast from it for Lent. That starts tomorrow in case you need any incentive.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

Yep. Many people fit social drinking into their weight loss or fitness goals.

Blacking out three days a week is binge-drinking at best and alcoholism at worst, and that requires professional intervention, not a post on a fitness forum. You need help of a type that people here are not really equipped to give you.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you block the days and drink with no monitoring, or are you talking about physically blacking out from drinking three days a week? The first is changeable, pre log as was previously suggested, and plan. If you're talking about the second, that's not a good thing, and may be indicative of a greater problem, especially if you can't not do it, and I encourage you to seek professional help.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Try drinking less. Limit yourself and see how it goes. Think about why you drink to that extent. If you find it difficult to drink in moderation, that's something to take into consideration.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

Well normal is an awfully relative idea. If it's something one has done every weekend for as long as he/she can recall would u say that it's normal? As normal as taking a shower if it's part of your routine, right?

It may be normal to you, but within the broader context of society, no it isn't. Also, there's a good chance it's negatively affecting more than just your weight, but since it seems normal to you, you probably aren't noticing it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

Right. Calories and exercise would be the least of your problems.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume you're using hyperbole in order to make a point. That said, pre-logging drinks can help you stay within a caloric deficit. Or, if moderation isn't your stronger suit, you might create a bit bigger deficit throughout the week in order to accomodate higher calories on the weekend. As long as you are still eating enough to get your necessary nutrients for health, having fewer calories most of the week shouldn't hurt you, as it will even out on the weekends.

However, if you aren't exaggerating for the sake of flair, do please reflect on your behaviors. I survived a childhood with a mother who was addicted to drugs and alcohol. It isn't a fun thing to live through, and she died fairly young(in her 50s) and alone. Between alienating her friends and family, and ruining her body through bad living she paid the price for indiscriminate use of "the fun" things in life.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Stop the frat boy lifestyle. It is time to grow up and think of your future. Do you really think drinking until passing out is the path to health and longevity?
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    There are plenty of alcohol posts on here. Personally, I don't black out. I pre-log my alcohol calories, leave room for them, and drink what I said I would or less. The good news is I don't even have to wait until weekend.

That's a good idea. Now the difficult part would be actually stopping
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

get help or you will end up hurting yourself or others
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yep...stay off the roads :/
  • stefaniezoeller
    stefaniezoeller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Alcohol in in general is NOT good for fat loss as the body will use that as fuel first instead of burning fat. If you "black out" on a regular basis your slowly poisoning yourself and probably need more help than we or any gym can provide.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

It may be normal to you, but within the broader context of society, no it isn't. Also, there's a good chance it's negatively affecting more than just your weight, but since it seems normal to you, you probably aren't noticing it.

Exactly. "Normal for you" or "for your social circle" doesn't mean "normal for most people especially for the average healthy person."

You can justify it however you want but that is NOT what anyone should be calling an acceptable level of alcohol use. I like a few drinks sometimes and I can't say I don't overdo it occasionally, but drinking on a level like that is both incredibly damaging to your body (and just because you don't have problems yet doesn't mean you won't down the road...) and not great for your mental health or fitness goals.

Please see a doctor and tell him or her honestly about how much you've been drinking. At the very least you should have the appropriate testing done to make sure you haven't already caused damage to yourself. It's not fearmongering or overcautiousness, that kind of drinking can cause chronic and irreversible health problems and I urge you not to treat it lightly.
  • Splitbygreg
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Do you mean you block the days and drink with no monitoring, or are you talking about physically blacking out from drinking three days a week? The first is changeable, pre log as was previously suggested, and plan. If you're talking about the second, that's not a good thing, and may be indicative of a greater problem, especially if you can't not do it, and I encourage you to seek professional help.

Yeah I mean blacking out from the sauce. Hmmm not going to seek out professional help. I just don't think I want to quit bad enough yet. The only downside to it is the fitness aspect and that I try to beat by doing more in the gym. I like the preloading calories idea tho

• BigSpoonSA
    BigSpoonSA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You cannot outwork a bad diet, no matter how hard you try.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

i mean... i drink a lot ... but nope - no blacking out.

not even when i was in college .....