No posts about alcohol consumption on here?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Lost muscle can be rebuilt ... lost brain cells cannot.
  • Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    drinking to the point of blacking out means that first, you need help with a drinking problem, then, you can work on your weight...your drinking problem is a "confounding variable" that will prevent you from making long term sustainable changes to your weight (among many other things)...seek professional or group/community help for your drinking, come back to us later.

Everyone's got "problems".
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I assume you are drinking hard liquor. While obviously you can get black out drunk on beer its harder because of the pure volume of liquid you have to consume especially with the mass market beers that rypically have lower alcohol content than microbrews. Your stomach just can't handle the volume.

Maybe try switching to typical American light beer when you drink.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Plenty of posts about alcohol and weight loss.

I drank until I blacked out last month. I had passed out before, but never did things I didn't remember. I didn't dance on tables- few people even noticed. But, it scared me. I had to ask my husband about what happened.

I am taking a long break from drinking.

I am not sure what you are looking for.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    And people say sugar is the devil. <shakes head>

They can both kill you unfortunately.

Never known anyone to get a DUI for sugar.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    drinking to the point of blacking out means that first, you need help with a drinking problem, then, you can work on your weight...your drinking problem is a "confounding variable" that will prevent you from making long term sustainable changes to your weight (among many other things)...seek professional or group/community help for your drinking, come back to us later.

Not all problems are equal.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    And I would be extremely concerned for someone who has blacked out from over-consumption of alcohol two or three times in their lifetime.

But two or three times a week?

Dude, please get help.
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Doesn't mean we can't work on our problems though.

Although you don't seem to think your drinking is a problem.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You could try drinking non-alcoholic beer/drinks at a party and see if you feel tipsy as you see other people getting drunk. I do this often at my friends' parties and it's surprisingly fun. Don't knock it 'til you try it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Obviously you need a deficit to loose weight. SO if you log your drinks, you probably won't be able to eat anything in order to get that deficit. So, technically, you could drink a lot but I think it will be hard to have the energy to workout. I drink - but I log my drinks. 6 beer is 900 calories, thats a lot of food I could have had to replenish my body. Anyway, good luck on your journey.. hopefully you can focus more on healthy habits as you get older. A close family member of mine now has an enlarged heart surrounded by fluid... and she's only 35...from alcoholism and she's been sober for 3 months (in rehab). Could be fatal... but you don't need to know about that. Everyone here has already said their part. Log ahead of time - curious to know how many calories you consume for those 3 days.

It's gotta be a lot of calories, Prob about 2400 cals a day. I have still managed to lose a percent or so of body fat each week since I started cutting. The goal is to get to 9% at about 15% now so we shall see. So monitoring the consumption I'm hoping does the trick. I have no doubt I'll still run a surplus 1 or 2 of those days tho. Sorry to hear about your family member. I'll pray she's okay.

Your posts are getting even more absurd. There is no reason to have 9% body fat unless you are a top level elite endurance athlete.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Plenty of posts about alcohol and weight loss.

I drank until I blacked out last month. I had passed out before, but never did things I didn't remember. I didn't dance on tables- few people even noticed. But, it scared me. I had to ask my husband about what happened.

I am taking a long break from drinking.

I am not sure what you are looking for.

I'm becoming convinced that he is just trolling.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For the OP, I just happened upon this and thought it might be worth reading. (It's not anti drinking, but a way to think through your own drinking choices and health and fitness goals, from a site with pretty reliable information.)

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/quit-drinking
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've never blacked out, but I have felt like drinking halts progress for me fitness wise. I LOVE a good dark beer with some froth on top...love it. But when I decide to not drink, I don't drink. The entire month of January I didn't drink because I wanted to go a month without for *kitten* and giggles. and since then I've only had one beer. If you're blacking out you need to seek help professionally.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Ummm.. how many days are in your week?
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

Dude, your 26 years old. I was at that point once in my life. Take it from someone who has been there. If you cant drink in moderation you may want to stop completely. Binge drinking is not a good habit to have. I have been struggling myself since I have turned 21 (I am now 36). I was the "fun" drunk so I it was almost expected of me when me and my friends went out. I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to think about where I wanted to be in 5-10 years.

Some people can go out and have a glass of wine at dinner and that's fine....Once I start the party, it doesn't stop. Then I start making bad decisions. And, once you get older. You don't bounce back. A three day hangover is not fun.

You have to make a choice man. If you are trying to be healthy, quit completely. Hang out with other people who are sober. Try to do things in social circles that does not involve drinking. The sooner you do it, the better everything in your life will be.

If you are going to the gym during the week and then ruining it on the weekends that's pretty self destructive. Not trying to be a buzzkill. Just trying to help a fella out. Good luck.

This is great advice here. So great. There are many things people can do that are legitimately fun that don't include drinking. Hiking, going up to the snow in the mountain and dinking around, swimming, running, cooking...anyway, once you get some time under your belt with no alcohol you realize there' a LOT more out there to do.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I blacked out once. It was a terrifying experience that I vowed never to repeat. I have no idea why you'd want to do it three days a week.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OP switch to tequila, I read something on the internet about it helping with weight loss

http://www.delish.com/food-news/a45297/drinking-tequila-can-help-you-lose-weight/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For the OP, I just happened upon this and thought it might be worth reading. (It's not anti drinking, but a way to think through your own drinking choices and health and fitness goals, from a site with pretty reliable information.)

Interesting:

Definitions vary around the world, but according to the United States Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, “moderate drinking” means, on average:
    • For women: up to seven drinks per week, with no more than three drinks on any single day
    • For men: up to 14 drinks per week, with no more than four drinks on any single day

823139ee42d8e1c0680268abcb4a4690.png
    *Particularly if there’s alcoholism in your family **If drinking causes you to eat more food or opt for energy-dense meals
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    A great AA saying which ill make PG for the website is "alcoholism is like a having sex with a 300 pound gorilla, its done until its done with you."
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Interesting:

Definitions vary around the world, but according to the United States Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, “moderate drinking” means, on average:
    • For women: up to seven drinks per week, with no more than three drinks on any single day
    • For men: up to 14 drinks per week, with no more than four drinks on any single day

823139ee42d8e1c0680268abcb4a4690.png
    *Particularly if there’s alcoholism in your family **If drinking causes you to eat more food or opt for energy-dense meals

Wow I personally would think I was drinking a lot if I was drinking seven drinks a week! But I also only drink like three drinks a month.