No posts about alcohol consumption on here?

Options

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Dude, your 26 years old. I was at that point once in my life. Take it from someone who has been there. If you cant drink in moderation you may want to stop completely. Binge drinking is not a good habit to have. I have been struggling myself since I have turned 21 (I am now 36). I was the "fun" drunk so I it was almost expected of me when me and my friends went out. I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to think about where I wanted to be in 5-10 years.

Some people can go out and have a glass of wine at dinner and that's fine....Once I start the party, it doesn't stop. Then I start making bad decisions. And, once you get older. You don't bounce back. A three day hangover is not fun.

You have to make a choice man. If you are trying to be healthy, quit completely. Hang out with other people who are sober. Try to do things in social circles that does not involve drinking. The sooner you do it, the better everything in your life will be.

If you are going to the gym during the week and then ruining it on the weekends that's pretty self destructive. Not trying to be a buzzkill. Just trying to help a fella out. Good luck.

So you are saying he's got time. 10 years is forever.

He may not have much time.........I lost my 30 year old precious niece to binge drinking on the weekends and then quitting every Monday. She had a seizure and never woke up!

Heartbreaking for everyone who loved her.

I suggest you get help now.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need different friends? Ones where hanging out doesn't mean getting so drunk that your black out 3 out of the 7 days in a week.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Getting fit or getting blackout drunk every weekend. You choose. You cant do both. Waiting until you're "ready" never gets anyone anywhere. Do what you need to do, but you're slowly killing yourself. What's the fun in blacking out anyway? You don't remember any of the "fun." I sincerely hope you make what you know is the right decision. Your post is a cry for help after all. Find some, please!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

Dude, your 26 years old. I was at that point once in my life. Take it from someone who has been there. If you cant drink in moderation you may want to stop completely. Binge drinking is not a good habit to have. I have been struggling myself since I have turned 21 (I am now 36). I was the "fun" drunk so I it was almost expected of me when me and my friends went out. I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to think about where I wanted to be in 5-10 years.

Some people can go out and have a glass of wine at dinner and that's fine....Once I start the party, it doesn't stop. Then I start making bad decisions. And, once you get older. You don't bounce back. A three day hangover is not fun.

You have to make a choice man. If you are trying to be healthy, quit completely. Hang out with other people who are sober. Try to do things in social circles that does not involve drinking. The sooner you do it, the better everything in your life will be.

If you are going to the gym during the week and then ruining it on the weekends that's pretty self destructive. Not trying to be a buzzkill. Just trying to help a fella out. Good luck.

No, I think he was saying that he wished he'd stopped drinking so heavier much earlier in his life. He was trying to be helpful.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Why? Why? Why do you do this to yourself?
  • raishiwi
    raishiwi Posts: 56 Member
    Options

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Make sure you've written a will.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Make sure you've written a will.

As well as advanced directive so that you family doesn't have to worry (or in some cases fight) about decisions regarding life support, artificial nutrition and CPR.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My sister, who readily admits she is an alcoholic, stopped her wine consumption and without any other changes to her diet, lost 30 pounds in a couple of months. Just sayin'.......
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My grandad was an alcoholic....dead at 40. my dad was an alcoholic he lasted till he was 49.....dying a slow horrible PAINFUL death of multi system organ failure, pissing blood and with no bowel control because the years of drinking had destroyed his intestines and bowels to the point he couldn't eat even if he wanted to and he was fed through a tube and what he was fed just leaked out the other end... Alone because he had alienated himself from his entire extended family swearing with his dying breath he didn't have a problem and fighting with staff because he wanted to go to the pub.....with your attitude.THIS is your future.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Dude, seriously. Get it together. <3
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am going to re-iterate the bold part. My husband is a recovering alcoholic. It started out as binge drinking in his early 20s (where you are now)....and progressed to being a full-on functioning alcoholic (a 6 pack of beer and a bottle of Jack every day - and that was before he went out). He's been sober for almost 15 years (we met 11 years ago). But that involved a LOT of AA, and completely cutting ties with basically everyone he hung out with.

He's only recently regained contact with some of those folks through facebook (the ones who finally quit drinking and settled down themselves)....but there are sadly many others (at least 6 that he knows of) that he will NEVER reconnect with - not because he wouldn't like to catch up with them, but because he can't....those folks didn't quit drinking, and are now dead (either from drunk driving accidents or alcohol-caused disease). And he is not old. Just turned 45. His old drinking buddies that are no longer with us? All but 2 were dead before 35...the other two were gone by 40.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

He may not have much time.........I lost my 30 year old precious niece to binge drinking on the weekends and then quitting every Monday. She had a seizure and never woke up!

Heartbreaking for everyone who loved her.

I suggest you get help now.

That's a better scare - someone being told about "I regret it 10 years after" isn't really digging in to the emotional blackmail.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i see a lot of people affected by alcohol here. i just want to mention there is al-anon for friends and family who has been affected by alcohol(ism)

sober folk are not a glum lot.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Can you try cutting it down to two nights? And try to include a few glasses of water through out the night.

Drink a few electrolytes before you go out or before you open the bottle/can etc.

It really is pointless working out in the gym when you are doing so much harm to yourself the rest of the time. Kind of like putting a pig in a dress. The alcohol will give you skin soooo bad you'll still look like a wash leather.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I can't really say anything that someone else hasn't said. I will however, offer my support. I quit drinking January 4th and haven't touched anything since. I had a pretty serious drinking habit (couple of bottles of vodka a week not including what I drank when I went out). It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been as hard as I anticipated. I'm not saying I'll never drink again, but I won't drink until I feel I can do it in moderation.

I sincerely wish you luck, alcohol is a mean b!tch.
  • Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can't really say anything that someone else hasn't said. I will however, offer my support. I quit drinking January 4th and haven't touched anything since. I had a pretty serious drinking habit (couple of bottles of vodka a week not including what I drank when I went out). It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been as hard as I anticipated. I'm not saying I'll never drink again, but I won't drink until I feel I can do it in moderation.

Yes but as most mean *kitten* they are a fun time if not in constant interaction with them.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

AA?

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,110 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Look at what you wrote

You think that's normal?

Yep. Many people fit social drinking into their weight loss or fitness goals.

Blacking out three days a week is binge-drinking at best and alcoholism at worst, and that requires professional intervention, not a post on a fitness forum. You need help of a type that people here are not really equipped to give you.

This pretty much sums it up. If you are truly blacking out for three days, you are not simply drinking, you are drinking far to excess, that is a drinking problem.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yes but as most mean *kitten* they are a fun time if not in constant interaction with them.

From reading your responses in this thread, all I see are attempts to rationalize what you're doing. You've said yourself that you're not ready to quit and if that's the case, nothing anybody says here is going to do any good or make any sense to you. Some people learn the easy way, some people learn the hard way, some people never learn.