Can't lose anything thanks to Depo Provera!!!

Options
I have been dieting since February, trying to get healthy and feel better. I exercise every single day and my scale never once moves from 174 pounds. I am eating right, drinking nothing but water (oh how I miss my Pepsi!!) but I feel as though it's all for naught because the scale never moves past 174 pounds. According to myfitnesspal, I should weight 154 pounds by now with the diet and exercise, but nothing. I am still at 174. Anyone have any insights?? Thanks!

Replies

• BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    When I was on that, my doctors actually told me it in and of itself won't make you gain weight, at least not any more than any other birth control. It actually just increases your appetite which leads to over-eating and that's what causes the gain.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Change your birth control.
  • rml_16
    Options
    When I was on that, my doctors actually told me it in and of itself won't make you gain weight, at least not any more than any other birth control. It actually just increases your appetite which leads to over-eating and that's what causes the gain.
    Your doctors are either liars or idiots.
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I recently went on birth control pills and I am finding it much harder to lose weight too. It seems like I am fighting for every pound. I found that sometimes I was eating more than I did before I was on the pill. Once I realized what I was doing I starting being more careful about logging my food so I didn't go over my calories, because I am sure I did before without knowing. I also started stregnth training consistently within the last two weeks so I think the combination just has me all messed up. I hope you figure something out that will work for you.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem, I am switching birth control next month when my next shot is due
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that my friend recently starting getting the Depo shot and her doctor specifically told her that weight gain can be a side effect. If you are really unhappy with not being able to drop the weight maybe you can switch to a different birth control method.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've heard that about depo :\ I hate BC sooo much. I'm on it myself only b/c 3 is our max kids and I'm not getting pregnant again lol..I can't wait to be birth control free some day.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Heh, switch to Explanon.

I'm kidding, don't. They jab this stick in your arm and it hurts for weeks, makes you insane, and it makes you gain even more than depo. I was on depo for several years. It does make you fat. My advice? Just stop having sex, or just date women.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've heard that about depo :\ I hate BC sooo much. I'm on it myself only b/c 3 is our max kids and I'm not getting pregnant again lol..I can't wait to be birth control free some day.
    Tubal or vasectomy?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and we can see what you might be doing that you can't see...

Birth control has been known to cause an increase in weight - I can guarentee a 10 pound gain with the pill (but I still chose to be on it since it makes me feel so much better). My doctor just said I either deal with it or get off it and feel like crap for 2 weeks a month.

Talk to your doctor and see if there's anything they suggest that would help?
  • demitraknows
    demitraknows Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 4 years and it made me gain weight. Your body feels as if you are pregnant and bloating all of the time and my hormones were everywhere. It messed me up pretty bad. Everyone is different and it works for some and some it doesnt. Overall it is very effective in preventing pregnancy, but the side effects for me were not good, Good luck.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My advice? Just stop having sex, or just date women.

:drinker: :bigsmile: This made me LoL.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Food and water cause weight gain. Water weight is just easier to shed.

Lack of food causes weight loss.

If you are not losing, you somehow you are consuming too much. You are maintaining what you already have.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Do you own a food scale and log everything?

and would you please open your food diary?:smile:
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I gained 25 pounds on Depo. I couldn't lose it until I went off of it. My advice is to switch birth control.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo before. My doctor also said that it doesn't cause weight gain but does tend to increase your appetite so you need to be more conscious of what you are eating. I had good luck with it for the most part, but the last time i had received my shot it sent me into a massive depression. Once that ran it's course, i never went back. I have since then gotten a tubal after having my last baby so no worries about excess horomones.

ETA: your diary is also closed, so we can't see what you are eating. Are you measuring all of your food or just guessing?
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Maybe if u wasn't dieting etc you may be a lot heavier now, so that's a plus that you haven't gained since Feb I guess. I was on depo and my weight shot up within the 6 months I was on it by 2 stone. I constantly looked heavily pregnant too as I kept getting a belly bloat! The coil is a better choice in my opinion. Don't stop doing what your doing as its better to stay the same rather than gain. Maybe lower carb intake and increase protein if u want to alter diet, I find lower carbs works best for me. Good luck
  • rml_16
    Options
    Food and water cause weight gain. Water weight is just easier to shed.

Lack of food causes weight loss.

If you are not losing, you somehow you are consuming too much. You are maintaining what you already have.
    I'm guessing you have never been on any kind of hormonal birth control, so you probably have no idea what you're talking about.

Just sayin'.
  • HopeDaleen930
    Options
    I'm on depo and have successfully lost 32 pounds. I only just had my second shot, but I did switch from the pill. Good luck hun.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Your doctors are either liars or idiots.

So other than increasing appetite, does birth control add extra calories to everything you eat?