Can't lose anything thanks to Depo Provera!!!

Options

Replies

• laurawilfong
    Options
    I've heard that about depo :\ I hate BC sooo much. I'm on it myself only b/c 3 is our max kids and I'm not getting pregnant again lol..I can't wait to be birth control free some day.
    Thanks iNkedFiTmama for your encouragement!
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    This is what my doctor said too. They told me it used to be given to people in Nursing homes to increase their appetites.

When I was on that, my doctors actually told me it in and of itself won't make you gain weight, at least not any more than any other birth control. It actually just increases your appetite which leads to over-eating and that's what causes the gain.
    [/quote
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    I was on it for 4 years and it made me gain weight. Your body feels as if you are pregnant and bloating all of the time and my hormones were everywhere. It messed me up pretty bad. Everyone is different and it works for some and some it doesnt. Overall it is very effective in preventing pregnancy, but the side effects for me were not good, Good luck.
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I am hoping it will be wearing off any day now!
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    Yes and I know that now. My doctor swore to me it wears off in 3 months and has no side effects. Liar, much?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo and have successfully lost 32 pounds. I only just had my second shot, but I did switch from the pill. Good luck hun.

Heheheheh.... wait until month 9.

With strict diet and exercise I lost 35 pounds while on Depo, and I had been on it for 6 years. It was harder but not impossible. Really watch your intake, weigh and measure everything! I had a lot of problems/side effects with Depo and I usually advise women not to chose that option. It took almost 3 years after I stopped taking it for my body to get back to normal. I switched to a Paraguard IUD (no hormones) and I like it so much better. Best of luck to you!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have posted that I have been off the Depo for 8 months now. My nutritionist said it makes your body store fat and that, although I am doing everything 100%, I will not see results until the Depo is completely out of my system (anywhere from today to 18 months after my last shot)

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I never took Depo, so didn't know how long it stays in the body. I did have a friend who was on it and she was overweight. I never considered that BC because of her and having heard similar comments on weight gain from it.

At least what's in your body has been "watered down". I think you need to make changes in diet and change up your exercise routine at this point.
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    Maybe if u wasn't dieting etc you may be a lot heavier now, so that's a plus that you haven't gained since Feb I guess. I was on depo and my weight shot up within the 6 months I was on it by 2 stone. I constantly looked heavily pregnant too as I kept getting a belly bloat! The coil is a better choice in my opinion. Don't stop doing what your doing as its better to stay the same rather than gain. Maybe lower carb intake and increase protein if u want to alter diet, I find lower carbs works best for me. Good luck
    Leesy, this is very possible that I might be heavier! Thanks for the perspective!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I maintained a healthy weight for years on the pill. Switched to the depo shot for convienience and gained 15lbs in a month. Had other terrible side effects and decided not to get the next shot. Went back on the pill and dropped the weight with no effort. Hormones can do all sorts of things to your body. To the people who say "it's not the birth control" think about this: Birth control alters your hormones to trick your body into thinking it's pregnant. Some women gain a significant amount of weight during pregnancy before their baby even weighs a pound. And they're not gaining pure body fat due to overeating. Blood volume increases, breast tissue increases. It's all hormones and how your body reacts to them. Everyone is different and what happens to some may not happen to others. That doesn't negate anyone's personal experience.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Yes and I know that now. My doctor swore to me it wears off in 3 months and has no side effects. Liar, much?

gosh i was told it could take up to a year to come out of your system.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting since February, trying to get healthy and feel better. I exercise every single day and my scale never once moves from 174 pounds. I am eating right, drinking nothing but water (oh how I miss my Pepsi!!) but I feel as though it's all for naught because the scale never moves past 174 pounds. According to myfitnesspal, I should weight 154 pounds by now with the diet and exercise, but nothing. I am still at 174. Anyone have any insights?? Thanks!

A few things I see:

1) You workout every day

2) No mention of how much you eat per day (Edit: 1100 calories isnt enough)

3) no mention of what your workouts consist (edit: cardio isnt the answer)

My advice is to take a week off at base TDEE. (moderate)
    Walk 10k steps a day.
    Lift weights 3x a week.
    After the first week cut 20% off base.

The first 3 weeks should be in a heavy 5x5 routine like Bill stars classic 5x5 or Strong Lifts 5x5.
    Every 4th week you Deload 50% of the weight and work on form or do lactate threshold training.

The body adjusts to 2 things pretty quickly:
    1) reps and sets
    2) calories in

So on the 4th week when you Deload, bump your calories back up to base.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I took Depo-Provera when it first came out, you actually sound better than me. I gained almost 40 pounds and tried to lose the weight. I was pretty much starving myself and exercising like crazy and kept gaining. I believe it helps you gain weight because pretty much as soon as the medicine was out of me, I lost like 30 pounds in a month without much effort. It was crazy. I was mad because I had no other problems with it except for the weight and at the time I was in the military and I had to stay within certain standards.
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    Food and water cause weight gain. Water weight is just easier to shed.

Lack of food causes weight loss.

If you are not losing, you somehow you are consuming too much. You are maintaining what you already have.
    I'm guessing you have never been on any kind of hormonal birth control, so you probably have no idea what you're talking about.

Just sayin'.

I think you're right, Girl. A man posted that....LOL
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement! So many people are writing mean things so I'm glad I'm not alone!

Saying that we've been on BC and have not gained weight is not a "mean" comment. You asked for insights, we're asking you to open your food diary, and suggesting that you're probably not eating enough to support your level of exercise.

I refuse to jump on the "yes, it's the BC that's preventing you from losing weight" bandwagon without knowing what you're eating.

Also, if you've been off of it for close to 8 months, you should start seeing some losses *IF* that was the reason you weren't losing.

Were you losing prior to going on it?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Food and water cause weight gain. Water weight is just easier to shed.

Lack of food causes weight loss.

If you are not losing, you somehow you are consuming too much. You are maintaining what you already have.
    I'm guessing you have never been on any kind of hormonal birth control, so you probably have no idea what you're talking about.

Just sayin'.

I think you're right, Girl. A man posted that....LOL
    I know. :-) That was my point.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    'Finally, further analysis demonstrated that an increase in protein intake can protect against gains in weight and body fat among those women who choose to use Depo Provera.'

(Source: http://contraception.about.com/od/depoprovera/f/depoweightgain.htm)

Apparently they can't accurately say whether it's the injections themselves that cause the weight-gain or the increased appetite that comes as a side effect, but perhaps it might be worth a shot increasing your protein consumption?
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    I maintained a healthy weight for years on the pill. Switched to the depo shot for convienience and gained 15lbs in a month. Had other terrible side effects and decided not to get the next shot. Went back on the pill and dropped the weight with no effort. Hormones can do all sorts of things to your body. To the people who say "it's not the birth control" think about this: Birth control alters your hormones to trick your body into thinking it's pregnant. Some women gain a significant amount of weight during pregnancy before their baby even weighs a pound. And they're not gaining pure body fat due to overeating. Blood volume increases, breast tissue increases. It's all hormones and how your body reacts to them. Everyone is different and what happens to some may not happen to others. That doesn't negate anyone's personal experience.

Thank you so much! This is soooo true! So many people are insinuating I'm overeating or something but I'm not! I eat 1100 calories (fish, chicken, rice) and am exercising 1-3 hours a day. Obviously I'm doing everything right and the only change is the Depo. I'm not getting a period, either!
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    'Finally, further analysis demonstrated that an increase in protein intake can protect against gains in weight and body fat among those women who choose to use Depo Provera.'

(Source: http://contraception.about.com/od/depoprovera/f/depoweightgain.htm)

Apparently they can't accurately say whether it's the injections themselves that cause the weight-gain or the increased appetite that comes as a side effect, but perhaps it might be worth a shot increasing your protein consumption?
    Thanks Endless Muse for the advice! Blessings to you!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting since February, trying to get healthy and feel better. I exercise every single day and my scale never once moves from 174 pounds. I am eating right, drinking nothing but water (oh how I miss my Pepsi!!) but I feel as though it's all for naught because the scale never moves past 174 pounds. According to myfitnesspal, I should weight 154 pounds by now with the diet and exercise, but nothing. I am still at 174. Anyone have any insights?? Thanks!

A few things I see:

1) You workout every day

2) No mention of how much you eat per day (Edit: 1100 calories isnt enough)

3) no mention of what your workouts consist (edit: cardio isnt the answer)

My advice is to take a week off at base TDEE. (moderate)
    Walk 10k steps a day.
    Lift weights 3x a week.
    After the first week cut 20% off base.

The first 3 weeks should be in a heavy 5x5 routine like Bill stars classic 5x5 or Strong Lifts 5x5.
    Every 4th week you Deload 50% of the weight and work on form or do lactate threshold training.

The body adjusts to 2 things pretty quickly:
    1) reps and sets
    2) calories in

So on the 4th week when you Deload, bump your calories back up to base.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

QFT. This guy knows what he's talking about. DO IT.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Birth control doesn't change overall physiology. The idea that it would "make you store fat" is kind of ridiculous. The hormones in birth control can make you gain weight via appetite, as people have said. Or through water weight. The gain that most women have before TOM is due to hormonal changes. Therefore, it makes sense that changing the hormones in your body might have this effect.

All side effects of hormonal birth control can be dealt with by switching methods. Or you can wait it out as most side effects are gone after 3 months. Hence why your OBGYN will tell you to stick with your BC for 3 months before switching.

There's really nothing else to say on this topic. It's been determined in the scientific community that birth control in and of itself does not lead to increased fat stores.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! This is soooo true! So many people are insinuating I'm overeating or something but I'm not! I eat 1100 calories (fish, chicken, rice) and am exercising 1-3 hours a day. Obviously I'm doing everything right and the only change is the Depo. I'm not getting a period, either!

I dont with depo either, and i dont miss them. As soon as it comes out of your system you will start having them again.