Can't lose anything thanks to Depo Provera!!!

Options

Replies

• jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    in to say i agree that birth control primarily causes weight gain because of increase in appetite, and that the OP's issue (if she is eating 1100 cals and working out 1-3 hours a day) is not hormonal.

OP, please google a "TDEE calculator" and up your calories. You need to eat more to weigh less.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I have been off the birth control for 8 months and have increased my cardio to anywhere from 1-3 hours a day. Definitely not eating more.

So you're still blaming Depo? I would think 8mos is plenty of time to purge that from your system and have results.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I work out 1 to 3 hours a day and consume 1100 calories/day

do you eat back the calories you burn? and 1100 sounds like it's not enough...
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Errrrm..... Have you checked your scales batteries.....?! :tongue:
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ugh, same happened to me... Yazmin/Ocella is ridiculously expensive where I live so I switched to a generic when I got here... I've been off it two weeks and am SHEDDING weight! Weight which I gained only since going on it... hmm. Birth Control is important to prioritize, so if you're not interested in condoms, I'd suggest going copper IUD or nicer ($$$) pills. You get what you pay for. I haven't heard a lot about Norplant, but maybe look into that as well.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting since February, trying to get healthy and feel better. I exercise every single day and my scale never once moves from 174 pounds. I am eating right, drinking nothing but water (oh how I miss my Pepsi!!) but I feel as though it's all for naught because the scale never moves past 174 pounds. According to myfitnesspal, I should weight 154 pounds by now with the diet and exercise, but nothing. I am still at 174. Anyone have any insights?? Thanks!

According to USNEWS.COM} There is a much higher dose of progesterone delivered in Depo compared to other hormonal methods of contraception. It could be that the extra progesterone lowers the body's metabolism, which promotes the storage of fat, or it could be that it increases appetite. Doctors don't have the answer at this point, but in testing some women gained 11 lbs over 3 years on depo while others gained 3-5 lbs like other birth control pills.
    I will tell you this, don't let it get you down. Your scale didn't move but mine moved up. I started Depo in January and gained almost 20 lbs within that 1st months, but by mid-end of march I was starting to see that number come down. I gain with all birth control, but some just take a little longer in different people to level out. Personal opinion here because I've been on birth control almost 10 years now and have taken 5-6 different ones. I can bet that your doctor won't find it an issue because you haven't gained a significant amount. (That's what one has told me before) But it's your body if you don't feel comfortable look into other methods or types. Idk any specific reason that you are on birth control, whether just to not get pregnant or for hormones or what, but the birth control I had seen the less change weight wise was ortho tri cyclen lo.
    Hope that helps some.
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Try the Neuva ring...none of those pesky side effects!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ^^ Every single birth control on the market has a possible side effect of weight gain, it all depends on the person, the eating habits, the body's reaction to the hormones etc. The shot itself does not actually prevent you from losing weight. I was on Depo for years and didn't have any problems.
    Translation:

"It didn't happen to me, so it can't possibly happen to you."
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    I guess I should have posted that I have been off the Depo for 8 months now. My nutritionist said it makes your body store fat and that, although I am doing everything 100%, I will not see results until the Depo is completely out of my system (anywhere from today to 18 months after my last shot)
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm on a birth control strike. Making the man strap on condoms. The sex is still great and I don't have to take a bunch of bull**** *kitten* hormones.

I loved my pill but can't be on it since my cycle took forever to regulate and at some point I will need fertility treatments.

But how on earth is sex great with condoms? Those things seriously suck.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding mechanism for weight gain, I haven't seen anything conclusive either way. The few studies I've seen theorize that appetite increase is responsible but at the same time I've not seen a study done under controlled energy intake/etc.

If its caused by something other than increased energy intake, I would be very interested to see how as I think it would be interesting.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo and have successfully lost 32 pounds. I only just had my second shot, but I did switch from the pill. Good luck hun.

^^^^^^^ I am also on Depo and have lost successfully 25lbs this time and in the past. Yes it does increase appetite but if you monitor your cals and exercise it is unlikely to stop you losing.

Open your diary and let people check out what you are doing. Good luck...
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement! So many people are writing mean things so I'm glad I'm not alone!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have posted that I have been off the Depo for 8 months now. My nutritionist said it makes your body store fat and that, although I am doing everything 100%, I will not see results until the Depo is completely out of my system (anywhere from today to 18 months after my last shot)
    It can affect you for up to at least two years.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Hiyah, I have been using Depo for years now and did gain loads of weight. Was it the Depo or me just eating to much not sure now as so long ago. Since Jan I decided to change my eating habits and I have lost weight.. I am still on the Depo. Not saying it has been easy though as still have cravings, but am sure thats the same for anyone regardless of birth control or not.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I don't do hormones.. that and they make me nuts, ha.
    At my highest weights, I was always on some sort of BC.
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    Thank you Babygi6003! I appreciate the encouragement and good to know you're in the same boat!
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    Thanks Ninakir!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I was on depo and the only reason I gained weight was because I was jogging 11 miles instead of 12 and I switched to atheism. Apparently God IS real.

.... Get it? Israel?.... I'm leaving.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I can promise if I didn't have to be on birth control I wouldn't.