Can't lose anything thanks to Depo Provera!!!

Options

Replies

• x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The greatest irony of Depo Provera? This is the drug used to chemically castrate males. Can you guess what one of the side effects is listed as? Oh you know it...weight gain due to hormonal changes.

I cannot bring myself to believe that a drug that is given to men to basically change their personality into a submissive non-sexual creature is just fine and dandy for women.

Regardless the irreversible bone loss side effect seems a hell of allot more concerning then the weight issue.

Those silly fitness experts keep recommending that I consume the same chemical they use for WATERBOARDING at GITMO.

I cannot bring myself to believe that a chemical applied to prisoners for the express purpose of torturing them is just fine and dandy for me to consume on a daily basis.

This is such a bad comparative analysis. Nothing to do but tra-lololol.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The greatest irony of Depo Provera? This is the drug used to chemically castrate males. Can you guess what one of the side effects is listed as? Oh you know it...weight gain due to hormonal changes.

I cannot bring myself to believe that a drug that is given to men to basically change their personality into a submissive non-sexual creature is just fine and dandy for women.

Regardless the irreversible bone loss side effect seems a hell of allot more concerning then the weight issue.

Those silly fitness experts keep recommending that I consume the same chemical they use for WATERBOARDING at GITMO.

I cannot bring myself to believe that a chemical applied to prisoners for the express purpose of torturing them is just fine and dandy for me to consume on a daily basis.

This is such a bad comparative analysis. Nothing to do but tra-lololol.

Ever see No-Salt on the shelf at the grocery? It's sodium-free table salt.

The main ingredient is the exact same thing they use in lethal injections to stop the heart.

Is that a better comparison?

The dose makes the poison.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It took me about 9 months to get my period back. I know everyone is different, but OP, it'll come back eventually.

DP was a **major factor** in my health issues, although being overweight is what got me put on it in the first place. (The excess fat made my cycle worse due to hormones, ended up with severe anemia and had to be on DP.) I gained about 40 pounds while I was on it. I think it was a combination of my weight and the hormones that just made things spiral out of control. I wasn't able to lose weight. I did try, and I put in a serious effort. I tried to watch what I ate, and I logged it. I felt like a failure, though, because I knew I wasn't logging EVERY thing. That fed the vicious, frustrating cycle. BUT I also knew that the stuff I wasn't logging, wasn't enough to make the difference in the results or lack of results I was seeing. I also exercised, and did not get results. That spiral, though, was the issue. I couldn't get the solid grip that I needed to stop it, even though I tried.

Anyway, OP, I do want to encourage you. You've been off it for 6 months now. Things will get better, we just don't know when. Commit yourself to seeing this through. Make sure you are weighing what you eat and logging it accurately. (Personally, I wouldn't open my diary because some of the demands have seemed threatening, even if they weren't meant to be. And just opening a diary doesn't mean that's what actually went in a person's mouth.) If you are weighing and logging accurately, and eating only 1,100 cals, and doing all that cardio, you need to eat more.

I just want to say this again: Commit yourself and expect yourself to succeed. Find what you need to do to improve your health and make those changes. You can do this. The DP is in your past now. As you do these things, you will be able to put the pieces back together. And you will find the strength that is there inside you.
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    When I was on that, my doctors actually told me it in and of itself won't make you gain weight, at least not any more than any other birth control. It actually just increases your appetite which leads to over-eating and that's what causes the gain.
    Your doctors are either liars or idiots.
    This. I was warned that I could gain up to 25 pounds. The weight gain is from the Depo, not simply from overeating.

Yep! That is what my MD told me, too! Thanks Girlie!
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    It took me about 9 months to get my period back. I know everyone is different, but OP, it'll come back eventually.

DP was a **major factor** in my health issues, although being overweight is what got me put on it in the first place. (The excess fat made my cycle worse due to hormones, ended up with severe anemia and had to be on DP.) I gained about 40 pounds while I was on it. I think it was a combination of my weight and the hormones that just made things spiral out of control. I wasn't able to lose weight. I did try, and I put in a serious effort. I tried to watch what I ate, and I logged it. I felt like a failure, though, because I knew I wasn't logging EVERY thing. That fed the vicious, frustrating cycle. BUT I also knew that the stuff I wasn't logging, wasn't enough to make the difference in the results or lack of results I was seeing. I also exercised, and did not get results. That spiral, though, was the issue. I couldn't get the solid grip that I needed to stop it, even though I tried.

Anyway, OP, I do want to encourage you. You've been off it for 6 months now. Things will get better, we just don't know when. Commit yourself to seeing this through. Make sure you are weighing what you eat and logging it accurately. (Personally, I wouldn't open my diary because some of the demands have seemed threatening, even if they weren't meant to be. And just opening a diary doesn't mean that's what actually went in a person's mouth.) If you are weighing and logging accurately, and eating only 1,100 cals, and doing all that cardio, you need to eat more.

I just want to say this again: Commit yourself and expect yourself to succeed. Find what you need to do to improve your health and make those changes. You can do this. The DP is in your past now. As you do these things, you will be able to put the pieces back together. And you will find the strength that is there inside you.

Thank you Kathleen! You are amazing and I appreciate everything you wrote! I am trying very hard, now. I agree about the diary thing. Some of the people demanding me to open it seemed a little scary!! Thanks so much!
  • laurawilfong
    Options

I, too, was told that Depo was used to chemically castrate males. I do not know of the accuracy of that statement, though.
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    Oh, we're still at this? It appears even OP has abandoned the post.

rml_16: Okay, we get it. You hate the shot. Noted. Now, can we move on? Continuing to argue with an actual OB is kinda silly.

Bottom line: EVERY SINGLE BC METHOD OUT THERE HAS HORRIBLE REVIEWS. Go ahead, google any brand. There are a million reviews on pretty much every known brand of BC out there, and most of those you will find will be negative. If we were to listen to all the reviews online, I'd never take any form of BC. As Spinderella (and a number of others) have said, each method affects each woman differently, which is why it is up to the patient and their doctor to determine which is best, lots of times (unfortunately) through trial and error - because each woman's response varies so greatly to any given method/brand.

So, having said all of that, I still don't think it was solely the depo that caused the weight gain. I still stand by the fact that OP isn't eating enough - or, since she never opened her diary, maybe she's not logging accurately and is eating more than she thinks? Who knows. But I don't think she (or any woman for that matter) can place all blame solely on their choice of BC. Take a look at your eating/exercise habits and be honest with yourself - and if nothing has honestly changed, then take a trip to the doc.

I didn't abandon my post, I have a job. Also, I am logging accurately and I think you are rude and have reported your post.
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    I am actually getting off Depo. TERRIBLE withdraw symptoms by the way. It feels like you're pregnant without being pregnant, which is not fun. Anyways, it still causes the same issues of food cravings and increased appetite. I've been doing MFP for about 6 weeks and the scale has not moved for me either. I am hoping once my hormones get back to normal and my period comes back then my body can get on board already. It truly sucks. And I REALLY miss Pepsi too especially since my husband and I are addicts.
    Thanks, Sweetie for the encouragement!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused why you are here... You ask for advice/experience or whatever, but when people ask for more information to HELP you, you insult them.

Your diet is the largest factor in weight loss. If you want to keep your diary closed that's fine, but it is a huge factor and you aren't going to get an honest informed opinion without being honest and informing the people trying to help you.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    There is hope.

I had my first child at age 20 and went on DP 6 weeks later. I stayed on it until she was 3 and potty trained, and we were ready to try for a second. I had lost all my pre-pregnancy weight (within 5 pounds anyway) and was wearing my high school clothes.
    Two years later I had gained a bit (desk job and lazy), and then starved it off. Yes, lost it unhealthily, I'll admit; at the time I knew no other way, and it was affective. I became pregnant with #2 after I reached a reasonably healthy weight. After he was born, I tried two types of BC (only one I remember offhand is nuva ring, the other was a pill; I refused the IUD because one messed up my SIL and she'll probably be unable to give birth again). They both messed with me, either the BC put me into depression or I was suffering PPD and it got blown up with the drugs, either way I had a negative experience over the course of several months. I went back onto DP about 18 months ago and have been pretty happy with it. Now that I'm done breastfeeding, the weight loss has been manageable, and I have learned SO MUCH from places like this forum. I hope to get to my high school clothes again, we will see, but if not I'll know I gave it my best try.

I've seen three different doctors during the time I have first been on DP, and all said the same thing; yes, there can be some weight gain, if there is we can try something else, everything has possible side affects Especially things that mess with hormones. One doctor (interestingly the only lady) was quite upset with me when I mentioned weight gain and said I couldn't blame more than 6 pounds on DP. I don't know where she got that statistic but it was the last time I saw her.

I understand your frustration. But weight loss is still possible; you've ascertained the problem, you've cut it from your life and you are moving forward. You may not have lost weight but you have gotten stronger, I assume with all the cardio you've gotten faster, and if you've truly changed your eating habits to healthier products you've done only good for your internal organs.

Good luck Laura, you can still reach your goals.
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    Thanks a million Chandanista! You're very sweet!
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    Actually I was asking for similar experiences. If my chiropractor, MD, and nutritionist are saying I am doing 100% and the only difference between now and ever is the Depo, it doesn't take a lot of brains to realize it is the depo.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Actually I was asking for similar experiences. If my chiropractor, MD, and nutritionist are saying I am doing 100% and the only difference between now and ever is the Depo, it doesn't take a lot of brains to realize it is the depo.

MDs don't really get a lot of training in this type of practical nutrition.

Chiros and nutritionists don't get much training in anything. Pretty much anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, and the basic philosophy behind chiropractic is essentially black magic.
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    No offense but to say a chiropractic knows nothing makes you sound really unintelligent!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    No offense but to say a chiropractic knows nothing makes you sound really unintelligent!

For you to compare an MD, a chiropractor, and a "nutritionist" in the same sentence does the same for you, respectfully.

As for the person commenting on "chemical castration"....you DO realize his boys aren't just falling off or something, right??? Chemical castration means they are giving him a very high level of FEMALE hormone to offset his testosterone....in the hopes, in the case of criminals, that the "urges", go away. There is nothing dangerous about that, for a woman, since we MAKE the hormone every single day of our lives and MORE of it when we're pregnant.

(I know I said I'd stay away, but seriously people...really??)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

My mistake then. Sorry.

There much e much more to the story I then being told. I didn't know chiropractors were experts on BC and nutritionist were ok with people eating 1100 calorie days. We are told so many times how dangerous and unhealthy it is and how it can even stall or cause weight gain for women to go below 1200 and I keep forgetting there are exceptions.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

MDs don't really get a lot of training in this type of practical nutrition.

Chiros and nutritionists don't get much training in anything. Pretty much anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, and the basic philosophy behind chiropractic is essentially black magic.

QFT! Chriopractors get no nutritional training and if they were actually good at what they did you would only have to go once or twice ever. Nutritionists are forced to stick to out dated government guidelines. Did you know in my state I am a dietary consultant? I don't have to have training, I can make people pay for my advice and the only requirement is that when I write up meal plans for my clients I have to write "Sample" on each page.

When you place blame on something else you give all your power to it. When you accept responsibility you take back control and only then will you start looking into the changes that will actually help you. You don't care about that though. You are just seeking validation why this isn't your fault. My guess is you are either eating more than you think or you are burning through lean mass. Good luck.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo for over a year. It was what caused my initial weight gain to begin with. It is one of the worst birth controls out there. Plus I only had my period once when I was on it. And it may cause other serious health issues. I would switch to something else if i were you. I did. I switched to the ortho evra patch and loved it.
    So my opinion is that the depo is making you not lose, but this is just my opinion. Good luck and hope all goes better!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo for over a year. It was what caused my initial weight gain to begin with. It is one of the worst birth controls out there. Plus I only had my period once when I was on it. And it may cause other serious health issues. I would switch to something else if i were you. I did. I switched to the ortho evra patch and loved it.
    So my opinion is that the depo is making you not lose, but this is just my opinion. Good luck and hope all goes better!

You're not SUPPOSED to have a period on it. That's how it WORKS. Heavy periods or spotting the first few months, then months to years of NO periods.

That actually a SELLING point for many women.................
  • x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options

For you to compare an MD, a chiropractor, and a "nutritionist" in the same sentence does the same for you, respectfully.

As for the person commenting on "chemical castration"....you DO realize his boys aren't just falling off or something, right??? Chemical castration means they are giving him a very high level of FEMALE hormone to offset his testosterone....in the hopes, in the case of criminals, that the "urges", go away. There is nothing dangerous about that, for a woman, since we MAKE the hormone every single day of our lives and MORE of it when we're pregnant.

(I know I said I'd stay away, but seriously people...really??)

I understand what you and another are saying about dosage. However, it is still curious to me that the known side effects in men are the same top complaints in women. Weight gain, depression, and loss of libido (although not necessarily in that order).

Crazy (or not so crazy) conspiracy theory aside I had many issues while on this drug and also had a doctor telling me it could not possibly be the cause. This was awhile ago and I do believe the Doctor had no idea. Still, it felt like he continued to push it on me like some pro-salesman. I finally just took myself off of it, found a new doctor, and was fine about a year later. Many of my friends and coworkers had similar, if not worse, side effects while on it. It just seems like sound reasoning to remember we are all guinea pigs in a profiteering pharmaceutical world. Hey at least we still have Yaz! Oh yea, cough, well I guess birth control is only subject to ridicule if it actually kills customers.