July Cycling Challenge 2013

Options
CricketKate
CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
Welcome to another month of cycling! For anyone new to this thread, we are a very casual group of cyclers. I should clarify, we take our cycling very seriously. I meant that the group is casual. There is no set of rules. We welcome anyone who wants to push a bike pedal. We have serious trailblazers. We have commuters. We have spinners. We have beginners who haven't been on a bike since childhood. We have Moms and Dads pulling trailers to the park, or making the agonizingly slow rides caused by an accompanying child (THAT would be ME!). Whoever you are and whatever your level, WELCOME!

You may post however you wish. Miles (is it wrong to say miles? I know that not everyone is in the USA)! Minutes! Cadence! Soreness! Number of bad words uttered when you hit bumps (That would be ME, again! I'm not generally a cusser, but bumps after a long ride do tend to bring it out in me:blushing: )! Whatever motivates you to push the pedal!

Now, I'm off to get my tire fixed and my daughter's and my trailer's in hopes that I can actually make it out this month.

Replies

• martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    I have been doing at least one longish ride (28 to 35 miles) and 1 to 2 shorter rides (12 to 20 miles) per week since the end of May. Now that the weather has improved, no reason not to step it up. Maybe bump it up to 2 longer rides per week and one shorter one, or about 80 to 90 miles a week, or 320 to 360 miles total by the end of the month. Also, by July 31, I intend to ride 48 miles on my 48th Birthday, though it may have to be the day before because of work commitments. Already planning out the route, which may just combine a 28 mile loop and a 20 mile loop.
  • pinkfaith19
    Options
    I love to cycle! Although I am not the most advanced rider, something about flying down hills with the wind blowing past creating that airplane sound in my ears, makes me feel like superwoman!!! I LOVE it!!! Unfortunately, I haven't been on my bike in a week or more! UGH! I plan to get back in the saddle this week! Make it a priority!!! Happy trails!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I have been doing at least one longish ride (28 to 35 miles) and 1 to 2 shorter rides (12 to 20 miles) per week since the end of May. Now that the weather has improved, no reason not to step it up. Maybe bump it up to 2 longer rides per week and one shorter one, or about 80 to 90 miles a week, or 320 to 360 miles total by the end of the month. Also, by July 31, I intend to ride 48 miles on my 48th Birthday, though it may have to be the day before because of work commitments. Already planning out the route, which may just combine a 28 mile loop and a 20 mile loop.

I just wrote a response to this on last year's thread. I think that is amazing! Good luck on your birthday ride!
  • ilarrotta
    ilarrotta Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! We recently got bikes with my husband.. He hates all types of exercise and we finally found the one he loves and the one I have decidedly fallen in love with! I feel like a little kid in my new bike. The first day I rode it I had a huge grin and everybody kept looking at me. =) I am in love with biking so let's track and see how far we can get!
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    On my ride today, a young punk (I say with endearment) yelled after me, "nice ride you got there." I yelled back, "thank you." :smile:

July goal is 100 miles. I did buy a stationary bike since it's so hard to ride during the summer heat, but I really don't like it. It's just not the same. Hard to get motivated to ride it.

7/1 - 5 miles outside.

MTD 5 miles.
    Goal is 100 miles.
    Remaining is 95 miles.
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I would love to shoot for 10 miles per week!
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My goal for July is 160 for the month. I can relate to the earlier post about feeling like a kid!!! Cycling does NOT feel like exercise to me....though it certainly provides an awesome calorie burn!! Loving my new bike!!!
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My goal for JULY is 80 miles

7/1 8 miles down.

Karen
  • kevinphallus
    Options
    600 miles for July. 18.2 down.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I got in 5 miles this morning. I had to keep it short and local because I left my kiddos home alone. My oldest is almost 11 and I was only gone for 25 minutes, but still I worry. I'm glad that I got it done this morning as the temp is supposed to reach 102 this afternoon. The joys of living in Utah; we get 6 months of winter and this was an especially snowy winter followed immediately by 6 months of summer. It feels like spring and fall lst about 48 hours each.:wink:
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    On my ride today, a young punk (I say with endearment) yelled after me, "nice ride you got there." I yelled back, "thank you." :smile:

July goal is 100 miles. I did buy a stationary bike since it's so hard to ride during the summer heat, but I really don't like it. It's just not the same. Hard to get motivated to ride it.

7/1 - 5 miles outside.

MTD 5 miles.
    Goal is 100 miles.
    Remaining is 95 miles.

LOL! good response
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, ready to get outside this month! Aiming for 3 indoor rides (about 35 mi total) and 1 outdoor ride (about 5-10 miles on a trail) each week. So I guess that comes out to 150-175 for the month. Big goals = big results, right? =)

July Goal: 150 miles indoors, 25 miles outdoors
    July Miles to Date: 6.5 miles indoors

July 1----6.5 mi stationary (30 min)
  • sajeffe
    Options
    7/1 - 5 miles outside.
    7/2 - 5 miles outside.

MTD 10 miles.
    Goal is 100 miles.
    Remaining is 90 miles.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    5.8 miles for me this morning. :glasses:
  • roughneckswife
    Options
    7/2---2.6 miles
    7/3--
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Going for 150 this month

7/3--13.5
  • roughneckswife
    Options
    7/2---2.6 miles
    7/3--3.3 miles
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I too love biking. I try to bike to work three times per week, 7 km each way. On the weekends I try to bike for at least an hour each day. After next week I will be on holidays, and I intend to spend that time working to increase my time. It currently takes me about 30 minutes to do my commute. My bike is nothing fancy, no gears, so I have to work every minute. I'm currently in the market for a new one.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    7/1 - 5 miles outside.
    7/2 - 5 miles outside.
    7/3 - Rest day.

MTD 10 miles.
    Goal is 100 miles.
    Remaining is 90 miles.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am game: Mine is indoor spinner /Outdoor combo, depending on the heat! goal is 5 days / week for a least 12 miles. will update periodically,. Happy riding to all!

7/1: 30 miles
    7/2 rest
    7/2 14.5.