Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much thought/money do you put into the water you drink?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I wish those people who think it's necessary to purchase bottled water, would spend more time/thought into what happens to their waste afterwards. I mean why are less than 20% of bottles recycled for instance?

https://www.naturalchoicewater.com/blog/view/fact-sheet-bottled-waters-impact-to-the-environment-and-your-health

I explained my reasoning for the bottled water we buy, because my cats are jerks.

bill_recycles.jpg

But we recycle in this house.

I don't understand why cats knocking things over makes you buy disposable water bottles. Just buy refillable ones. Recycling isn't the same as not creating waste in the first place...it still has to go somewhere, be processed, and a large %% ends up back in the trash anyway.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I wish those people who think it's necessary to purchase bottled water, would spend more time/thought into what happens to their waste afterwards. I mean why are less than 20% of bottles recycled for instance?

https://www.naturalchoicewater.com/blog/view/fact-sheet-bottled-waters-impact-to-the-environment-and-your-health

I explained my reasoning for the bottled water we buy, because my cats are jerks.

bill_recycles.jpg

But we recycle in this house.

I don't understand why cats knocking things over makes you buy disposable water bottles. Just buy refillable ones. Recycling isn't the same as not creating waste in the first place...it still has to go somewhere, be processed, and a large %% ends up back in the trash anyway.

So I'm not woken up several times a night with loud clunking noises? I'm not sure what's difficult to understand about that but I also don't really need you to understand. I use a refillable for the vast majority of my day.
  • Orione2
    Orione2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    Apparently the tap water in the UK is mostly safer to drink than even bottled water (although I can't find the study I read stating this, anymore ) so at home I drink tap water. At work we have water dispensers with a filter so I drink that. Honestly though I don't really think about it.

Our water is probably safe, however we are in United Utility area and it tastes really bad. Strong chlorine smell and taste. Though the online sample testing info says it has no residual taste! I use a Berkeley gravity fed Ceramic filter to deal with this.. I like my tea to taste of tea.
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    tap water is fine here :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Guess I am lucky - I use tapwater, but we have on tap water that is far better EU drinking water regulation requirements and non chlorinated. TBH it is delicious.
  • miko482
    miko482 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If I have a hot beverage or cook I'll just use water from the tap. Growing up (in the US) we lived on well water for a bit and then city water.

I tend to get an upset stomach easily, and I've found that carbonated beverages sort it out quickly. So I usually buy the larger sparkling water bottles (1.5-2 litres) for drinking water and drink directly out of those or use them to refill a smaller bottle.

Where I live (in the UK) the water reports show that it's well within accepted ranges, but ever since I moved to this town I've developed a skin issue/irritation that gets visibly worse after I shower so I tend to minimise my contact with local water. (My old GP wasn't entirely sure what the cause was, so hopefully the new GP will do something other than antihistamines and call it a day.)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I drink filtered tap water mostly because to me it tastes a little better than right out of the tap. If I'm thirsty I'll just down a glass of tap water.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of tap water so I drink filtered at home. I drink tap at work though as I have no choice.

I don't buy bottled water because of a few adverse reactions to mineral water here in the UK. I'm no stranger to hives and allergic reactions in general so at first I didn't give the bottled water a second thought. However, after a few more breakouts I realized it was the bottled mineral water. No idea what it would have been exactly to cause a reaction but it wasn't exactly a big deal to stop buying it.

So that's about all the thought I put into it. FWIW =)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't. At all. I drink out of the tap or our of the filtered water from our refrigerator. I'm very fortunate to live where I do and have a virtually unlimited amount of clean water to drink, shower with, clean my dishes, water my lawn . . .
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I drink rain water most of the time. I live in rural Australia. No it is not filtered.
    Our tap water is fine to drink but tastes metallic to me.

If I lived in a pristine area of Tasmania I would drink running creek water too.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I buy bottled water occaisonally and re fill the bottles with rainwater to take to work.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I grew up on sulfur well water in southwest Florida, drinking from the hose when outside. I still love that water and it quenches my thirst like nothing else can. But now I no longer live there and have municipal water, which I drink sometimes. I mostly drink filtered or bottled water. But I still long for lukewarm sulfur well water......
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I drink tap water, unless it's softened. To me, softened water doesn't taste clean at all (more like garbage water). If I make tea at my mom's, I use bottled water.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    We drink tap water out of the kitchen faucet. Our city sends out annual water reports and it's always fine. For my $75 a month water bill it better be! We also replaced all the piping in our house last year so that probably improved things as well.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I like Toronto municipal water...

That being said, when I used to travel for work I often found the water in NY or FLA tasted like crap to the point I couldn't drink it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    How much thought/money do you put into the water you drink?

Zero. I drink tap water and home and at work.
  • catmaster
    catmaster Posts: 34 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, I'll drink from anywhere. My favorite spot - the toilet, late at night.
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink my tap water, in my area it tastes good and isn't hard. At work I think the water might be filtered but I'm not sure. If I'm in a place with gross water, IE Florida, I use a water bottle with filter builtin.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Filtered tap water in our house. We live in suburban Denver.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    Unless you're in Flint or a third world country, I can't see it mattering enough to freak out about..I use filters and call it a day.

Actually there are a lot of places in the US that have unsafe drinking water. I lived in a place where an old dump from the 50s and 60s contaminated the ground water making a whole community's water undrinkable. I lived in town so it didn't affect me but it's worth a thought.

I've always lived in a municipality with treated water. Though, Flint had treated water but the most governments don't have such ridiculous oversight.