RANT: WHY IS EVERYONE SO MEAN?!?!

Options
123457»

Replies

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The reason people are mean on the internet is because they have a large audience and they have no accountability.
    Also some things that are labeled as mean are actually just honest and people don't like straight shooters.

When there is no voice or face involved, it can be easy to misconstrue what and/or how someone writes something, but, yeah, the above statement is all too often true, especially on message boards. Some people will be jerks in person regardless of the consequences (if any), but some people are jerks in cyberspace only because there is very little chance they're going to get beaten or murdered.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    mean_zps2dcd14d7.jpg
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    OK, here's something nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6coDahzA6I
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    i want ice cream. mint chocolate chip.

I had that last night! Like 800 calories worth :blushing:
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Just a FYI, since I joined in June of 2012 I've seen AT LEAST one "Why is everyone so mean" post per week.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I will always take an opportunity to include The Big Lebowski in a thread, because EVERYONE needs more Lebowski.

opinionated.gif
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    I have been called mean before. I don't care though. I am the same in RL as are my friends. I am thick skinned and tell it like it is. People have different personalities, life would be pretty boring if everyone was nice. I prefer snark and sarcasm myself. Maybe overly sensitive people should stay out of the forums.

Oh and I use this site as a tool to aid in weight loss and getting healthy. If YOU see it as a place for support and motivation then that is fine, but don't expect everyone to feel the same.

That's my opinion anyway...
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the photos.
  • Insearchofme2
    Options
    I agree, and that is why I usually avoid the forums....It's sad, but I guess that is how some people feel good about themselves. Good luck on your journey... :flowerforyou:
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    you will get out of MFP what you put into it. If you don't like the snarkiness of the forums, don't post questions there. Put them in your own newsfeed only for your friends to see and answer.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include these items:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.