Dumb advice people have given you...

Options
I've recently felt pretty discouraged and was ranting to my best friend about it. She suggested that I cut out all alcohol on the weekends (I typically drink a few beers friday evenings and more on Saturdays). She said to try it for a month and see what happens. Obviously I'm still logging my drinks and making sure they fit into my calorie goal for the day. I tried telling her but she thinks since beer is mostly carbs this is why I'm not losing weight lol

Replies

• C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I once had someone at the gym tell me that I didn't look strong and should probably be lifting lighter weights so that I didn't hurt myself. No thanks. I'll continue to lift the heavier weights.
    For what it's worth, I typically have a drink or two every night if it fits into my calories. Sometimes even if it doesn't.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I don't drink a lot of alcohol anymore...usually though it's because 1. I have no tolerance anymore and 2. I can't control my food choices once I have a couple. The worst advice: That you should EAT MORE to break your weight-loss plateau/jump start your metabolism. Just NO.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have stressful weeks and I need it to de-stress plus its nice to social drink with friends on weekends. I've gotten better at control the eating while drinking too
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    According to an apprentice at work. I'm too old to go to the gym.
    I managed with difficulty not to be too sarcastic but allowing for the fact his only exercise is stuffing his face with pizza and chocolate I wasn't surprised he didn't answer when I asked him oh which gym do you go too?
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    According to an apprentice at work. I'm too old to go to the gym.
    I managed with difficulty not to be too sarcastic but allowing for the fact his only exercise is stuffing his face with pizza and chocolate I wasn't surprised he didn't answer when I asked him oh which gym do you go too?

Too old? how old are you may I ask? Lol my dad is 62 and still can manage to bike 10 miles and plays basketball with guys two times younger then him.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    From random ahole at the gym: I'm a girl so I should take a dance class or something to lose weight instead of lifting...

:|

It's the midwest. I try not to think about it much.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when ppl give me diet advice. Like what they are telling will work magically or that I'm not doing it. I been on this journey for almost a year. Don't preach to me if you don't exercise or eat healthy.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me that a good technique was to diet during the week then eat and drink what you want on the weekend - I gained. I think they completely underestimated just hoe many calories I can pack away when I'm not being careful.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of hearing how wheat and corn cause obesity. People keep buying that Wheat Belly book and tell me what I'm doing wrong. 75 lbs down, and apparently I don't know what I'm doing.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Another was "Light weights are best for fat loss" and from the same person - "Cardio burns loads of calories so run a lot and you'll never need to diet again".

I gained weight consistently through my most intensive running period.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Another piece of crappy advice "Avoid fat - but low fat products".

Nope - They tried that for a couple of decades in the UK and people still got fatter. Now the advice is "Fat's not so bad, but for heavens sake cut on back sugar" - I'll give it 10 years and there will be a new food group or type to demonize.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    "You should drop your calories to 1, 000 to lose as much as you can, FAST, and then go back to how many you're currently eating". :|
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really think that advice is all that dumb OP...not that people can't lose weight while drinking alcohol in moderation, but alcohol can be a real impediment. Alcohol calories cannot be stored like calories from other things...which sounds brilliant right? But while you have alcohol in your system, you shut down all metabolic processes to process the alcohol...so while you have alcohol in your system, you will not oxidize fat and you will not burn calories consumed while you are intoxicated. Beer in particular is a whammy because while the alcohol in the beer can't be stored, the carbohydrates in the beer can...and they will be stored because you're body is only working on metabolizing the alcohol.

You figure it takes about an hour for your body to metabolize one drink...so you go tie one on and have, say six drinks...that's essentially six hours that you are for all intents and purposes, shut down your metabolism.

I can tell you from personal experience as a drinker...I did lose weight while drinking regularly...like nightly...but it was far less efficient than it otherwise would have been...and honestly, once I hit a certain level of leanness, alcohol became a huge impediment to where I wanted to get from a BF% standpoint and I just couldn't get there. Once I stopped drinking during the week and only in moderation on Saturday, that all changed...so, I don't necessarily think it's such dumb advice personally.

That said, I've never had a few drinks on a Saturday be an impediment...but still, if I was having issues I'd probably consider it.

As far as the dumbest advice I've ever gotten..."go low carb...it's the only way you're going to lose weight."
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I asked my sister how she lost 30 pounds and she said stop eating grain-based carbs of any kind, cheese/dairy of any kind, take green coffee bean supplements and drink 1Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar with every meal.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I asked my sister how she lost 30 pounds and she said stop eating grain-based carbs of any kind, cheese/dairy of any kind, take green coffee bean supplements and drink 1Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar with every meal.

hahaha. I bet family get togethers at her house were a riot.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The list is too long, but here are the most repeated:

- don't eat carbs
    - don't eat desserts
    - don't eat white foods
    - shop the perimeter of the store
    - can you eat that?
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was at a bar once and a random dude complimented my butt. I'm never sure how to respond to that, so I just said "Thanks, I do a lot of squats."

His friend then proceeded to give me a spiel on how I shouldn't do squats, because squats make you fat. I told him that's interesting, because I'd lost 30 pounds and squats were part of my routine the entire time. Moron.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My mom and some of my friends tell me, eat everything you want just skip breakfast or dinner
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cut all sugar.
    cut carbs
    cut dairy
    you have to lift to be strong.

that's all i can think of right now
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    My all time biggest peeve is someone saying 'you can't eat THAT, you're on a diet'!!
    They have yet to eat their words! 3 yrs on since I lost my weight and have kept it off - so obviously I KNOW what I'm doing :smiley: