Dumb advice people have given you...

Options

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    LOL! Just heard this little gem today--

"Any exercise that doesn't last for at least 30 minutes doesn't count."

Sadly, I heard this one from an MFP poster just a few days ago...
  • rockstargreatness
    rockstargreatness Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The Chef at my work keeps telling me I can eat whatever I want as long as I move more. Possibly true if I wanted to spend my days pole vaulting large buildings but I don't, so I think I will stick to watching what I eat.

I know right.

This one; "Don't eat after 6pm." While I was in school. Didn't eat school food because of reasons, didn't eat breakfast, stayed after school for tutoring and actitivies. I didn't get home until 7:30pm.

I guess that was good advice and would've worked but I like not starving.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Too old? how old are you may I ask? Lol my dad is 62 and still can manage to bike 10 miles and plays basketball with guys two times younger then him. [/quote]

I'm 46 and there are several members 20 years if not older than me at gym, and there were at my previous gym too.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me to smoke during pregnancy. That I wouldn't gain as much weight and my baby would be smaller and easier to push out. I wish I could shut this person out of my life like, forever. But, they're "family". Ironically enough, they're in healthcare too.

Your bad advice definitely wins the internet as the worst advice. I mean seriously did this happen in the 1940s? Horrible!
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    crewbprice wrote: »
    You have to use a food scale to count calories well

Well, I do kind of agree with this...if you don't weigh certain foods, it is very easy to misjudge the calories. I've been blown away at times when I weigh my food and see what one serving really is instead of what I thought it was!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My favorites:
    * When a friend forwarded me an article about Dr. Oz endorsing raspberry ketones
    * A coworker telling me that she lost 30 lbs on this "diet:" yogurt for breakfast, a chocolate chip cookie for lunch, a cup of milk for dinner. She was adamant that it was this exact combination that did the trick.
    * Anytime anyone has uttered the words "Dr. Oz said..."
    * Dr. Oz.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Heard here after someone viewed my open diary "You had an apple and banana, that can't be considered lunch".

This person was 29 years old and thought she could give me "lunch advice".

We are all so different and have arrived here from our own personal journeys; you may or may not find that what works for me, also works for you.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    "To lose weight, you have to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper!"
    Followed by every one of my coworkers nodding their heads in unison, going, "yep! Yep! Yep! It's true!" While I sit quietly in disgust.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    A man in the gym came up to me while I was doing heavy Reverse Barbell Lunges. He said "you want to slim down your thighs, right" (first of all, wtf?!), and continued with "You should stop all this lifting and start cycling".

I hate that guy.

That's incredibly rude of him.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    A man in the gym came up to me while I was doing heavy Reverse Barbell Lunges. He said "you want to slim down your thighs, right" (first of all, wtf?!), and continued with "You should stop all this lifting and start cycling".

I hate that guy.

:o Was it sheer surprise which prevented you from walloping him with your barbell?
    i particularly love hearing "a moment on the lips forever on the hips," when i am eating something i "shouldnt" because i've lost weight. like shut up. i can have a piece of cake if i want to and it won't destroy my weight loss. i just can't eat 3 pieces of cake.

i also love getting unsolicited advice from people who clearly do not know anything about health and nutrition. =|

That one's right up there with "Little pickers wear bigger knickers", which is the phrase of choice in our office!

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" will help you lose weight on the same calorie allotment that you're NOT losing weight on right now.

There's never a clear definition of what constitutes "clean" and even those feeble attempts to create one fail to provide the slightest shred of evidence that 70 calories of cage free brown eggs is somehow magically less than 70 calories of pasteurized processed cream cheese.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I had a Personal Trainer say not to eat carbs at all after 2pm, no sugar at all including fruit, don't eat bread, eat as little as possible in general and that girls shouldn't lift anything too heavy. He also said it's impossible to lose weight without spending hours on cardio equipment each day. These gems of wisdom knowing he was talking to someone who has already lost 71kg / 155 lbs and is probably stronger than he is, even though I'm a "girl".

And it's muppets like him that gave me more motivation to become a Personal Trainer myself and actually help people who want to lose weight.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Between all the "you shouldn't eat" advice I've heard, all that would be left for me to eat at a grocery store are toilet paper and shampoo.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    Between all the "you shouldn't eat" advice I've heard, all that would be left for me to eat at a grocery store are toilet paper and shampoo.

And Cotton wool......don't forget the cotton wool....its a plant and one of your five a day ;)
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Don't eat grain. Don't eat gluten. Don't eat dairy. Don't eat sugar. Fat is bad for you. Dont eat after 6pm. Or my personal favorite, don't eat fruit because it has too much sugar.

Basically any "diet" that someone has written a book about and is making money from. Seriously, just eat food. Track it accurately and move as much as your schedule and your body will allow you.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Eat less than 1000 cals a day to lose weight
    Eliminate carbs to lose weight
    Have only one meal a day (<500cals) and the rest of the day just drink tea
    Detox tea
    Don't eat meat
    Don't eat anything just drink vege soup
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    One of my friend is trying to lose weight and was discussing about diet and exercise with me. She believes in lot of the 'advice' mentioned here.
    She told me the only way to lose weight is to stop eating carbs after 6. Since she is a vegetarian I asked her what she ate at night .' Oh just a big bowl of different fruits ' ,was her answer
  • davidcy946
    davidcy946 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    My favorites:
    * When a friend forwarded me an article about Dr. Oz endorsing raspberry ketones
    * A coworker telling me that she lost 30 lbs on this "diet:" yogurt for breakfast, a chocolate chip cookie for lunch, a cup of milk for dinner. She was adamant that it was this exact combination that did the trick.
    * Anytime anyone has uttered the words "Dr. Oz said..."
    * Dr. Oz.

Any diet which separates cookies and milk is incorrect, due to Rule 8 of my 'Rules of Life.'
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »

Cross those off the list because of gluten.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Have just mentioned to my lodger I'm looking at starting a beginner lifting programme and have my pt in first couple of sessions ( to keep eye on form due to knowing a few people with injuries.). Got told don't bother with programme just do 15 reps X 3 at maximum then up it when stronger and the pt would be waste of money.
    Note this is the guy who tried doing same as his elder brother and damaged his back second time he went.