Options

Replies

• crewbprice
    crewbprice Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    meltedsno wrote: »
    crewbprice wrote: »
    You have to use a food scale to count calories well

Well, I do kind of agree with this...if you don't weigh certain foods, it is very easy to misjudge the calories. I've been blown away at times when I weigh my food and see what one serving really is instead of what I thought it was!

I am not saying it can't be helpful, but it is not necessary to weight loss. I have had people tell me on mfp that you will fail without it. For meat, I just read the weight on the packaging and divide by the number of pieces, and read serving sizes and measure them with cups for non-meat items. Lost 50 pounds in one year...
  • MeganD_96
    MeganD_96 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    "Don't do any form of crunches/sit ups or workout more than two times a week because your fat will turn into muscle and then if that happens you'll be fat forever".
    "Don't log/count calories. I gained weight because I used MFP".
    "You're a 5ft,19 year old girl. Why the hell would you want to lift weights? Girls your height/age should stick to walking".

Surprisingly, this is all coming from one woman who claims she's a expert in weight loss when in fact she sucks her stomach in to show me how much weight she's lost. I think I'll stick to the awesome people on MFP, thanks.
  • MeganD_96
    Options
    Here's another one I had forgotten about, fortunately it was from a different person however it's a bit personal.

"You're asexual because you're fat. If you lose weight, you'll be straight in no time!" Somehow I don't think so!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything white.

Yeah no.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My chiropractor told me not to eat grains after 2pm. He claimed my body won't be able to burn them off as well as if I eat them in the morning. He also told me not to eat fruit after meals - something about it sitting in my stomach and fermenting due to not being able to digest it with other food in my stomach? He's also super skinny and has probably never been overweight in his life...

Oh, also from a coworker: If you drink protein shakes without working out, then you will gain weight... umm... k.

Btw OP: cutting out alcohol is not dumb advice. It is much easier for me to lose weight when I cut out alcohol completely, even with logging it and fitting it into my calories...
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It's the sugar. It's diet soda. You will hurt yourself squatting. Squat ATG. You don't need to eat much protein. You need 300 grams of protein a day 4 dem gainz. No pain no gain. All you have to do is walk. White rice will make you fat. Eat raw eggs. Drink a gallon of milk a day. Milk is for baby cows. Don't eat anything out of a box. Pop tarts are great! You need to eat 6 meals a day. Only eat 1 meal a day.

There's quite a bit of crap out there . . .
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    The list is too long, but here are the most repeated:

- don't eat carbs
    - don't eat desserts
    - don't eat white foods
    - shop the perimeter of the store
    - can you eat that?

I think shop the perimeter is GREAT advice.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MeganD_96 wrote: »
    "Don't do any form of crunches/sit ups or workout more than two times a week because your fat will turn into muscle and then if that happens you'll be fat forever".

I... uh... what?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mine was given to me on here.
    I mentioned that I find that heavily refined, low fiber carbs tend (snack cakes, candy etc.) to lead cravings and blood sugar swings, so I stick to high fiber, nutrient dense carbs (vegetables etc). I have limited them for years. I have eaten this way for years. Am happy as a clam eating this way. I've maintained eating this way. I don't miss those foods.
    I was told ON MFP that I should eat twinkies, cupcakes, pop tarts, etc. and "just" add a spoonful of metamucil with it to give it fiber. ummmmmmm....or I could just not eat the twinkie and be happy doing what I'm doing...lol
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

- don't eat carbs
    - don't eat desserts
    - don't eat white foods
    - can you eat that?

It is certainly healthier to shop the perimeter... but one can still lose weight eating processed sugary crap. My assumption about this thread is that it is about pure weight loss rather than health? Or maybe not... (btw Sabine_Stroehm, I do agree with you...it is great advice)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »

- don't eat carbs
    - don't eat desserts
    - don't eat white foods
    - can you eat that?

It is certainly healthier to shop the perimeter... but one can still lose weight eating processed sugary crap. My assumption about this thread is that it is about pure weight loss rather than health? Or maybe not... (btw Sabine_Stroehm, I do agree with you...it is great advice)

It is great advice, and in reality, probably easier to maintain a deficit with perimeter foods than center row foods, but yes, point taken, one can lose weight eating crap. For sure.
  • MeganD_96
    Options
    MeganD_96 wrote: »

I... uh... what?

That's what I was thinking too! She spouts the biggest load of crap everyday about weight loss. I've just learned to ignore it!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

- don't eat carbs
    - don't eat desserts
    - don't eat white foods
    - can you eat that?

Here's what's at the perimeter (only foods touching outer walls of the building) of the store I most frequent:

- flowers
    - bakery cakes and breads
    - name brand breads/crumpets/English muffins
    - gluten-free foods
    - milk
    - other dairy products (cheese, butter, margarine, yogurt)
    - salt meat, pickled eggs, blood sausages (black and white, oh the choices!)
    - frozen RTE meals, pizza, ice cream, frozen fruit, fish etc.
    - organic dog and cat food
    - ice
    - log bundles
    - ice melt products

It's not a bad selection, but taking into account 5 of those listed aren't for human consumption and that it's a very narrow list of allowed foods, I'll stick with keeping the centre of the store on my shopping list.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

- don't eat carbs
    - don't eat desserts
    - don't eat white foods
    - can you eat that?

Here's what's at the perimeter (only foods touching outer walls of the building) of the store I most frequent:

- flowers
    - gluten-free foods
    - milk
    - ice
    - log bundles
    - ice melt products

It's not a bad selection, but taking into account 5 of those listed aren't for human consumption and that it's a very narrow list of allowed foods, I'll stick with keeping the centre of the store on my shopping list.

okay great. My market has the vegetables, fruits, the butcher, and dairy around the perimeter.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have heard the no carbs thing too, by my grandmother who couldnt lose weight for the longest time until she had to alter the diet for herself and her husband when he was diagnosed with diabetes...however I'd lose alot of weight quickly too if i went from eating a 1lb bag of m&ms a day to not eating them at all...yep its the lack of carbs that made the weight loss g'ma and not the massive cutback on calories, she eats a balanced diet now but still insists its the lack of carbs that caused the loss...when I look at what she is eating now it is def not a low carb diet but it is very balanced. all in all i am proud of her for losing the weight and keeping it off for over a year :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

- don't eat carbs
    - don't eat desserts
    - don't eat white foods
    - can you eat that?

- flowers
    - gluten-free foods
    - milk
    - ice
    - log bundles
    - ice melt products

okay great. My market has the vegetables, fruits, the butcher, and dairy around the perimeter.

This is the problem with rules of thumb! The perimeter of ours also has the ice cream and bakery, bacon (yea, this processed meat thing is killing me), sodas and flowers, in addition to the expected items. It would also miss the tomato sauce, olive oil, canned tuna, all pasta, and frozen veggies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

- don't eat carbs
    - don't eat desserts
    - don't eat white foods
    - can you eat that?

- flowers
    - gluten-free foods
    - milk
    - ice
    - log bundles
    - ice melt products

This is the problem with rules of thumb! The perimeter of ours also has the ice cream and bakery, bacon (yea, this processed meat thing is killing me), sodas and flowers, in addition to the expected items. It would also miss the tomato sauce, olive oil, canned tuna, all pasta, and frozen veggies.

I've never taken the "shop the perimeter" motto to mean you can't get what you need from the middle.
    Mine also has the cigarettes, I assume the motto doesn't include those either.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

- don't eat carbs
    - don't eat desserts
    - don't eat white foods
    - can you eat that?

- flowers
    - gluten-free foods
    - milk
    - ice
    - log bundles
    - ice melt products

I've never taken the "shop the perimeter" motto to mean you can't get what you need from the middle.
    Mine also has the cigarettes, I assume the motto doesn't include those either.

Good point. I forgot the cigarettes! I know what you mean though and agree.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Most of our stores have the beer and wine on the perimeter.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "Try eating clean!"

"You should try paleo..."

"You should try gluten free!"

"You should go low carb!"