Dumb advice people have given you...

Options

Replies

• FunbagsMcGee
    FunbagsMcGee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "Life is too short, you shouldn't waste it counting calories."
    I don't know about you guys, but shame-eating a pizza doesn't really feel like living.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You should quit lifting heavy and do body pump instead so you don't get bulky. It also makes you just as strong as heavy lifting with less work.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    "Being overweight is like being born into poverty. There's not much you can really do to change it."

This was in an article on a "feminist" website! BS!!!
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    had a dude tell me that for my carbs i shouldn't eat bread, but pasta and potatoes were good for me. what's the difference?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    A man in the gym came up to me while I was doing heavy Reverse Barbell Lunges. He said "you want to slim down your thighs, right" (first of all, wtf?!), and continued with "You should stop all this lifting and start cycling".

I hate that guy.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    "You shouldn't eat that; that's not diet food."

"You shouldn't be eating pasta if you want to lose weight."

Human: "You should try this chia seed wellness drink for weight loss!"
    Me: "what exactly does this do for you?"
    Human: "it helps! Because of the proteins!"
    Me: *reads nutrition facts on the back of it* "it has 2 grams of protein. My yogurt has 12 and the same amount of calories."
    Human: "well... Still it has proteins that help!"
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The Chef at my work keeps telling me I can eat whatever I want as long as I move more. Possibly true if I wanted to spend my days pole vaulting large buildings but I don't, so I think I will stick to watching what I eat.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    A man in the gym came up to me while I was doing heavy Reverse Barbell Lunges. He said "you want to slim down your thighs, right" (first of all, wtf?!), and continued with "You should stop all this lifting and start cycling".

I hate that guy.

Guy obviously has never seen a cyclist.
    quads-dana-996.jpg
  • crewbprice
    crewbprice Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You have to use a food scale to count calories well

You cant gain strength well with bodyweight, you need to lift free weights
  • dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You guys have covered so many of the ones I've gotten...but here are a few silly things I've been told:

"Just eat half of whatever is on your plate." (um...I can put a lot on a plate! Plus, my mom told me not to waste food)
    "Eat nothing but greens if you wanna be lean." (I like soul food but come on....)
    "You should do push-aways...you know, push-away from the table." (told to me by a beanpole of a man who never weighed more than 140 lbs in his life)
    "Exercise doesn't matter, just diet." "Diet doesn't matter, just exercise." (I was told both of these at a party one night...fortunately by different people)
    "Eat only white meat."
    "Alcohol calories don't really count because they burn fat." (the person who told me that was apparently trying very hard to prove his theory...)

• slabs57
    slabs57 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i'm not judging, but sometimes, people might call an advice "dumb" when it's something they don't want to hear. I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to suggest cutting out alcohol for 1 month and see if it changes anything. yes, the alcoholic drinks may be accounted for in the daily goals, but they're basically empty calories -- 7 calories per gram of alcohol + 4 calories per gram of carbs. "A few beers on Friday and more on Saturday" every weekend adds up to a lot of calories. I would agree with your friend -- try it for 1 month and see what happens. If she's right, then you win b/c it means you'll lose weight. If she's wrong, then you still win -- you get to rub that in her face AND you'll be a few bucks richer b/c drinking is an expensive habit!! :p

Anyway, a dumb advice would be "stop eating!" (true story) and "you'll never have a flat stomach, just save up money for lipo" (also true story).

and yes...i would agree that some of the other advices are ridiculous!
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    "I don't have to count my calories, and I weight 95lbs. Just eat what I eat" <-- My MIL, everyone. :neutral:

Also to the previous post. I have terrible knees, and my family was not thrilled when I started jogging. Since starting, my knees have become more stable, and they are usually the last thing that gets sore. :smiley:

Haha

Glad running has helped. I reckon being over 300lbs and unable to walk up stairs without panting was far worse for me knees than losing 130lbs and running marathons is! But hey, I guess I should listen to the person who thinks walking 3miles twice a year in a park is hiking LOL

Haha exactly! Of course, I'm sure there are ways to hurt your knees with jogging/running, but there are also good ways that can strengthen everything. And you are so right... My 5'4'' 200ishlbs *kitten* was doing a ton more damage than that jog :smiley:
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Word for word conversation.
    D bag at gym: you are lifting way too heavy for a girl. If you really want to tone up you should be lifting half that weight.
    Me: I really want to tell you everything wrong with what you said, but I would rather finish my workout.
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i particularly love hearing "a moment on the lips forever on the hips," when i am eating something i "shouldnt" because i've lost weight. like shut up. i can have a piece of cake if i want to and it won't destroy my weight loss. i just can't eat 3 pieces of cake.

i also love getting unsolicited advice from people who clearly do not know anything about health and nutrition. =|
  • AnthonyThrashD_
    AnthonyThrashD_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Everything I read in the book "4 hour body"
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Fast one day a week
    Fast 3-5 days every month
    Take a cheat day on the weekend - please - math people!
    Exercise more (doing as much as I can and over-exercising just makes me ravenous)
    People who have never struggled with their weight or tried to diet should just zip it - if weight loss was all that easy, no one would be fat!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You have to eat breakfast! It's not healthy to skip it.
    You shouldn't eat right before going to bed, ALL those calories will be stored as fat.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Co-worker once:

"You'll lose weight if you just keep your stomach sucked in all the time, especially when you eat."

I was speechless. I honestly didn't know how to respond to that much stupid.....
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You have to exrcuse and your heart rate must remain a constant 140 to lose weight. Thats the ONLY way to lose weight.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    LOL! Just heard this little gem today--

"Any exercise that doesn't last for at least 30 minutes doesn't count."