Hey, how about if you don't read someone's diary...

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that a lot of people post encouraging comments for people who come in under their calorie goal. I thought that the goal was to at least eat at your net calorie goal. I think that so many of us have learned that food is bad and that is why eating under your goal is looked upon as a great thing. Hopefully this post will enlighten some people.

You've learned that food is bad??
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Unless something looks really yummy or unusual I dont comment. I'm the odd one in that I have mine open but dont want comments.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Also MFP encourages people to cheer when they come under. I would rather see something says so and so completed their dairy today and they were over on their fiber, met their calories goals with exercise, ate the recommended amount of calcium, or under on their trans fats. So it is inherent you encourage someone for undereating.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I unfriended someone because they ate like 6 meal replacement bars a day along with peanut butter sandwichs, 4-6 cuties, chocolate milk and cookies to reach thier 2000 calorie goal everyday. IMO that is not a good job and is not healthy eating. I think she was trying to gain weight.. but still not the right way to do it. Oh yea and when I asked her why she didn't eat more real food she blew up at me saying that cuties and pb sandwiches are real..

I had someone comment on my diary good job.. on a day when I logged nothign but garbage and junk.. I was like..umm really? Not so much.. sure I was under my goal calories because I exercise like a feind.. but there was nothing good about that day.. LOL
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I usually comment without reading the diary. I'm sure the majority of people are this way.

ummmmmm

no.

why would you comment without looking?

Ummm because can't be arsed to read it? Just a thought...
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Agree!

The diaries that get "good work", "nice eating", "great logging", "i like", etc. are astonishing sometimes! READ them people before commenting or say nothing.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I usually comment without reading the diary. I'm sure the majority of people are this way.

ummmmmm

no.

This.

What are you commenting on if you haven't looked at their diary. I've commented on without looking if they have a closed diary, but that's on a very rare occasion. If it's open, you should look so you know what the heck is going on.

lmao - What the heck is going on? Like its your place? tbh I don't care what other people eat
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So people are actually trolling other people's food diary? This is why I turned off my "...completed her food diary..." autoposts. If it isn't in their newfeed, they aren't going to comment.

Just done this myself, well I did this earlier today. My diary is now private, my end of day will not appear on mine or anybody else's newsfeed.

Personally, I do not need anybody commenting on what I eat and I do not comment on theirs.

This place has changed you know and it isn't for the better either.

(Had an account first time here in 2010).
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is a good job. Maybe a week ago they only ate 200 calories because they are recovering from a disorder or they were sick and they still got 500 calories into them.

I don't encourage disordered eating but I do know that I have had friends in the past who were struggling and when they got 500 calories compaired to that 200 it was a good job so I would tell them it was a good job. Not that it was a good job that they were under their calories but that they got 300 more calories than the week before.

I Rarely comment on diaries or exercise but I alway look before I say anything - most of the time its to see what said person has eaten so I can take ideas from them.

I do agree with the don't just blindly say WTG though.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What?
    LOL.

So, if I properly understand the OP....
    Someone (Person A) commented on someone else's (Person B) food diary congratulating them and telling them good job.
    And then you went to check out whether or not Person B actually met your standards of what a good job is, and when you found that what they had consumed for the day was not to your liking, you got upset with Person A for telling Person B good job.

Maybe you should put together jigsaw puzzles or volunteer at the local animal shelter. It sounds like you have way too much time on your hands.

Hahaha. Evermore. The internet is a weird place. :laugh:
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I notice that someone has a low net after exercise I tend to pick a food or meal that they ate and comment on that specifically instead of an overall comment about the day.
  • Sunflower_8803
    Options
    This is the exact reason why I hide my diary. You will always have this nut that knows it all and they will always find something to comment about. Worry about your own body and own life. If advise is needed then I think it will be asked.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Not so I read everyones diary before commenting
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    And dont comment "great loss" when its -.2lbs.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I try to be supportive, but don't have the time to read everyone's diary (and mine is not open). I assume people are eating like adults.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I always read people's diaries before commenting. That way I can say something other than a generic "way to go". Seems more personable. And if they eat an unhealthy level then I usually try and mention that they ate more than they logged. I have gotten unfriended more than once for that
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options

No way! I take the time to read people's diaries for ideas and to see how they're all doing. I'm nosy that way I guess! I only comment if I'm impressed with their day. I find it a little annoying to post generic 'great job!' comments all the time when you haven't even read their diary.

One day I had a massive 1000 calorie pizza and 8 cans of lager, that's another 2500 cals. I got about 5 'great job!' and 'well done!' comments. Lol,
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Geez, people get slammed for eating too little and losing too fast. But they can't get congratulated for a small loss. Sanctimonious people sure have a lot of rules. :grumble:
  • __Di__
    Options

ummmmmm

no.

This.

What are you commenting on if you haven't looked at their diary. I've commented on without looking if they have a closed diary, but that's on a very rare occasion. If it's open, you should look so you know what the heck is going on.

and what if, when you read it to see what the heck is going on, you disagree with their choices?

It doesn't matter what the heck is going on, what really matters is what you are doing.
  • __Di__
    Options

Geez, people get slammed for eating too little and losing too fast. But they can't get congratulated for a small loss. Sanctimonious people sure have a lot of rules. :grumble:

Now that (points to the word "sanctimonious") is exactly the word I have been looking for. :flowerforyou:

Too much of it going on in the forums lately :frown:

Some people need to start realizing that they do not know everything there is to know about anybody else, except themselves and it is themselves, that they really need to start concentrating on.