March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this story would have made it across the pond but it's well worth a read. Comedian Eddie izzard has ran 27 marathons in 27days for charity.

an incredible achievement in almost anyone's book (save a few idiots in the comments section)
    http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/mar/20/eddie-izzard-tired-yet-triumphant-after-running-27-marathons-in-27-days

Heard about this...the mind boggles :#
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

But on the other hand, one of the fun things you can do is tell a non-runner, "I only ran X miles today." It doesn't matter whether X is 2, or 4, or 15; the non-runner tends to be dumbfounded that you can say "only" before a distance they can't imagine running.

Some of us novice runners do that too for "only" a 6 mile run (mutter mutter) etc.
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    NEWBIE WELCOMES:
    @jringer1 (I’m training for my first HM also!)
    @riceroni: Congrats on the PR and the silver placing for your age group!
    @kristinegift: Congrats on the birthday run..and the cheesecake!
    @username301: 9K..cool!
    @brian_gunther: Sounds like you should be ready to go do a 5K!
    @zmcgrandles: Congrats on your first race
    @ceciliaslater: WTG on your first marathon. That’s still too long to be on my radar…
    @Meffordh: @WhatMeRunning speaks the truth..

03/01: PLAN:4 miles easy@12:15-12:30. Windy.
    03/02: PLAN:REST DAY..Walked at work, night walk didn’t happen
    03/03: PLAN:4 miles plus strides 2.65 miles@10:50 morning, no night run due to snowy/slick
    03/04: PLAN: Rest Day
    03/05: PLAN: 4 easy miles. Went 4.67 miles total (4 miles easy plus 4 20 second strides.) 44 degrees, mist-light rain.
    03/06: PLAN: 6 easy miles. About 45 degrees, slight wind. 6.03 miles. Did two walk intervals of ¼ mile each, thought it was pretty good for being on “dead” legs.
    03/07: PLAN: REST DAY (and I’m-a take it!)
    03/08: PLAN: 4 miles plus strides. Ate, turned sloth, no run.
    03/09: PLAN: REST DAY Plan on doing yesterday’s planned run tonight instead EDIT: Same deal as yesterday.
    03/10: PLAN: 5 easy miles Not up early enough but did 3.28@11:03 in light rain, mid 50s temp.
    03/11: PLAN: Rest day
    03/12: PLAN: 5 miles easy 5.13 mi@12:20 avg.
    03/13: PLAN: 10 miles easy 10.03 miles@13:34 avg.
    03/14: PLAN: Rest day
    03/15: PLAN: 4 miles plus strides EDIT: No run..
    03/16: PLAN: Rest day No run
    03/17: PLAN: 4X1 (fast 10:45-11:00, slow 12:10-12:30) No run
    03/18: PLAN: Rest day No run
    03/19: PLAN: 5 mi easy No run
    03/20: PLAN: 11 mi easy No run
    03/21: PLAN: Rest day EDIT: Did the 03/15 workout I missed. 4.63 miles@12:36 avg pace, night, about 50 degrees. I feel encouraged that despite my slothfulness of late, I not only got it done but I was within pace on all but one mile (some walking in mile 4). So maybe I haven’t undone all my work this past week. Time to get back cranking at it though..

exercise.png
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    Sorry..a line break is missing in that post. @jringer1 is the only one who's supposed to be listed as a "newbie" :p
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    March 2016

2/3 1k
    5/3 6k
    6/3 5k
    9/3 1k
    12/3 6k
    13/3 8k
    16/3 4k
    17/3 4k
    19/3 8k
    20/3 6k
    22/3 4k

53/75

Short run went well again, really went for it.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Workplace conversation:
    Co-worker: Did you run the A2A?
    Me: no, I ran Dallas
    Co-worker: Whitewright?
    Me: no, Dallas... Rock n Roll HALF
    Co-worker: the Marathon?
    Me: no, the Rock n Roll Half
    Co-worker: oh, there's a list in the paper of everyone that ran the Marathon (hands me the paper)
    Me: These are the half marathon results. (There are no marathon results in the paper.)

Haha! I think I'm just gonna start saying I ran an ultra in 2 hours and see if anyone calls BS..

I think @MobyCarp ? was right, anything longer than an hour must be a marathon. Dang, I forgot to use the "only"..
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Interface system at work is being updated, so I'm wasting your time.....

I ordered shoes from MooseJaw. They understand runners. Sent me an email stating that I can now start obsessing on tracking my order. I think I love this company.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I ordered shoes from MooseJaw. They understand runners. Sent me an email stating that I can now start obsessing on tracking my order. I think I love this company.

LOL
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp and @Elise4270 - Perhaps a Half Marathon is like the Half Sandwich from a lunch special? It's still a sandwich? Same thing? Maybe they just need to come up with a swell new name for the Half?
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    01/03 3.5miles
    02/03 3.5miles
    04/03 3.5miles
    05/03 3 miles
    07/03 3 miles
    09/03 4.5miles
    11/03 5 miles
    12/03 3.75miles
    14/03 3.5 miles
    15/03 3 miles
    16/03 3.5miles
    19/03 5 miles
    21/03 3.5miles
    22/03 3.5miles

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @MobyCarp and @Elise4270 - Perhaps a Half Marathon is like the Half Sandwich from a lunch special? It's still a sandwich? Same thing? Maybe they just need to come up with a swell new name for the Half?

Marathon-McNugget
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

Marathon-McNugget
    Nope, that would still be a "type" of marathon, a McNugget one.

And I'm not so sure about the one hour rule qualifying a run as a marathon due to all of the 5k marathons out there.

It's probably safe to say anything over 100 meters is a marathon.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Marathon-McNugget

And I'm not so sure about the one hour rule qualifying a run as a marathon due to all of the 5k marathons out there.

probably....most people don't understand meters, All they know is that it's bigger than 100 yards...if they know that
  • Elise4270
    Options

Marathon-McNugget

Ya, maybe it should just be a 21k or something. But it was funny how I stated "half", and it just falls on deaf ears. The non-runner isn't concerned with the distance. They just know you're crazy.
  • Elise4270
    Options

Ya, perhaps. A runner would want to know if it was a half or a whole sandwich though. :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Options

Marathon-McNugget

Haha! 5k marathon! I got that one down!
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options

LOL

MooseJaw also sent this: for my entertainment.
    http://links.alerts.moosejaw.com/ctt?kn=8&ms=MTM5Mzg3NzYS1&r=LTM2ODQ3MTAwMjgS1&b=0&j=NzQxNjk4MjU2S0&mt=1&rt=0

Just funny stuff- anyone else use them? I'm off at 3, thats 20 minutes. Idk if the computers are up or not.. I'm playing dumb.
    Moosejaw.com
    Your Order | Your Account | Moosejaw.com

Order Confirmation #114641836
    Thank You
    YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN PLACED

Way to go. This is the best order confirmation we've sent out all day. We recommend either printing this receipt and framing it to hang in your foyer, or at least taking a screenshot and using it as the background on your iPad.

It would also be nice for you to forward it around to a couple friends and maybe even an enemy or two. If you're bored, check us out on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. Our CFO said he doesn't understand why anyone would use Twitter. He also thinks that a narwhal is a made-up animal. Please don't tell anyone about it.

Decent Order Information:

Items in Your Order:
    SKU: Name: Qty: Price: Est Ship Date:
    10273347 Merrell Women's All Out Charge Shoe 8.5, Algiers Blue / Adventurine 1 $77.99 In Stock

If you care more about your order than our nonsense, you can track your package right to your doorstep. As soon as we have your tracking information, we'll email it to you. You can also check your order status online. Don't be scared if you don't see your order right away. We just have to process it first. Check out your Order Status and Order History.

No chance you're still reading this but if you are, we're posting pictures of folks using the products on product pages at Moosejaw.com. If you fall into the 'folks' category, please email a photo of your gear in action to pictureman@moosejaw.com and we'll add your picture to Moosejaw.com.

Love the madness,
    Moosejaw
    Follow us on instagram for news, fun, and madness

This email was sent by: Moosejaw Mountaineering, 32200 N Avis, Madison Heights, MI 48071, USA

A picture of a giraffe

• MNLittleFinn
    Options

LOL

http://links.alerts.moosejaw.com/ctt?kn=8&ms=MTM5Mzg3NzYS1&r=LTM2ODQ3MTAwMjgS1&b=0&j=NzQxNjk4MjU2S0&mt=1&rt=0

I needed the smile you just provided.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    But on the other hand, one of the fun things you can do is tell a non-runner, "I only ran X miles today." It doesn't matter whether X is 2, or 4, or 15; the non-runner tends to be dumbfounded that you can say "only" before a distance they can't imagine running.
    Love this! I'm amazed at the number of people who can't imagine a 52 y/o less-overweight-than-I-used-to-be man running 30+ miles/week, like it's not possible to do that and be heathy or sane or something like that.
  • Elise4270
    Options

LOL

I needed the smile you just provided.

MooseJaw did that.. And our system is off line. And I'm to sore to run. And I'm wasting time. My lunch drink had alcohol in it. I'm tired. Is it 3?