Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga
    10-new medicine-nauseous
    11-yoga
    12-Great Pi Race 5k. great time with some horrible hills. I would have had an amazing time without them and as it was i still beat my last 5k by 2:37min. Stepdaughter to be got second in her age group. i was 20 out of 36.
    13-rest day
    14-4.87mi happy bunny
    15-no run (yet) knee and kidneys are sore.
    16-no run-kidney's still hurt
    17-carpool-no run. grumble.
    18-carpool and slush fell from the sky this morning. so I vinyasa/power aerial yoga-ed
    19-car shopping
    20-family stuff
    21-6.13mi not easy not too hard. well the first 15 min were awful but then it settled in.
    22-wedding stuff to do, hip hurts-yoga tonight

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    3/1-2.03
    3/2-3.53
    3/3-Rest
    3/4-Rest
    3/5-6.00
    3/6-3.13
    3/7-3.26
    3/8-Rest
    3/9-3.23 (5k pr)
    3/10-Rest
    3/11-Rest
    3/12-7.01 (personal distance PR)
    3/13-2.25 (getting closer to doing a true recovery run)
    3/14-3.14
    3/15-2.02 (4-10 inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow, so I snuck a quick run in tonight)
    3/16-Crosstrain HIIT core work
    3/17-Rest
    3/18-3.01 (First AM run, in the dark)
    3/19- 6.27
    3/20-3.0
    3/22-3.0

Total: 50.9/56 Getting real close to my goal!

Today's run was good. I think I'm going to like these morning runs. it was 27 degrees out and all I needed was my UA turtleneck, my Brooks jacket for wind and my normal running pants, plus gloves and hat. Lovely morning for a run. Keeping my HR in Zone 4 for 95% of the run, and never went into zone 5. Thursday will be a slower day where I try to keep HR in Zone 3.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    March goal—can I make 120 km?
    second half on 3/27—Dongguan Songshan First Annual
    3/1—3.31 km having trouble getting my butt out of bed.
    3/3—5.09 km
    3/4—7.01 km—dear self, remember if you’re going to run to use your inhaler, mmkay?
    3/7—3.9 km would have run more but yeah…excuses
    3/9—5.06 km
    3/11—5.22 km
    3/13—5.90 km
    3/16—5.1 km—tracker malfunctioned though and said was 5.5
    3/19–11.75 km…
    3/22—5.44 km
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Meffordh wrote: »
    God damn , i dont even think i cant finish 3 miles and every 1 here is saying 70 miles and omg i need to catch up

Haha! It's good to have a goal, but taking on running is an exercise is patience and mental fortitude. Well, physically too, but that's the easy part. :wink:

My first month I hit 30 miles. And I was desperate to make it. I walked in my house counting steps to barely make my goal.

It's hard not to compare. But just look at it as potential with the right training, you body will get there.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this story would have made it across the pond but it's well worth a read. Comedian Eddie izzard has ran 27 marathons in 27days for charity.

an incredible achievement in almost anyone's book (save a few idiots in the comments section)
    http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/mar/20/eddie-izzard-tired-yet-triumphant-after-running-27-marathons-in-27-days

That is just insane! Good for Eddie, though, and for a great cause of awareness!

Virkati wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning ...first of all, I read "beer notes" instead of "Beet Roots"...dunno, just don't know where my brain was going with that! And second...what's the deal with beet roots that you'd run four miles round trip to get them? Sounds like I missed an important memo!!
    :lol::lol: Oh, nothing that big really. They definitely have loads of iron and help in transport of oxygen through the blood. There are some indications that taking beet juice before a 2 to 4 hour run has a measurable performane gain of 1% to 2% reduction in time due to the nitrates in the beets, but that's not necessarily why I wanted to get some. I'm more interested in having the added nutrients in them that are lacking in basically everything else...and maybe out of curiosity to see if it has an impact on endurance. I had a 4 mile run planned and I know from one of my routes that I hit the 2 mile mark right in front of a grocery store. So I did not have to add it to a shopping list for later, I just picked them up while on my run today!:smile:

So...you ran two miles carrying a bag of beets? I've always loved the things, myself. When I briefly lived in Australia (somewhere I wish I still live at least three times per day), I was a ton more excite than I should be the first time I had beet root on a sandwich. I had never considered doing such a thing in my life. They were always a side dish/snack to me. It was definitely a life-changing experience! I'm finally getting my boyfriend interested in them after five years of pushing. haha He likes the beet, carrot, whatever (ginger?...I don't know) juice from Whole Foods. Personally, I prefer chewing my beets.

@ceciliaslater: It sounds like, overall, you had a really good marathon! Kudos to you; a marathon isn't something I'm sure I'll ever decide to do. I just don't know if I can find the time to dedicate to so many miles per week, but maybe one day. I, too, and working more on speed work than distance, right now. I ran my half last month, and I have a 15K coming up in two weeks. After that, it's a few 5Ks and 10Ks before my next half in September. My plan is speed between now and June, then working on the whole half thing, again.

Gonna throw this out there for some ideas. The half marathon I'm signed up for has 6 miles on gravel road. I'm currently running Nike Pegasus 32 for shoes. I haven't run on gravel much (not much near me) I am wondering, are they an appropriate shoe for this? I love them, so it's actually not an excuse to get another pair of shoes, just out of curiosity.

Before I started my "new" job in June, 2014, I ran most of my miles on a gravel rail trail. I almost exclusively used my trail runners (Saucony Peregrine), as I felt like I was slipping when I used my road shoes. I was definitely more comfortable in ht trail shoes. However, I know and saw many people running in regular road shoes. I guess it's all personal preference. You might want to get yourself a good pair of trail runners and run on some gravel/dirt trying out both shoes to see what works best for you.

ariceroni wrote: »
    As the saying goes, If you chase two rabbits you won't catch either one.

I have never heard this saying before. I love it!!

General statement about the calories thing: My mileage is all over the place right now, but I average somewhere around 1600 calories per day. I eat when I'm hungry. Some days I'm full at 1200 calories, some days I'm not full until 1800 calories (which are typically my rest days). While I am losing some weight (I want/need to), it is definitely less than .5 lbs per week, and probably close to 1-1.5 lbs per month. Female, 5'4", ~145 lbs. So, for me, the RW statement probably isn't that far off. I feel like this is totally a genetic thing, though. My brother, who also runs, also has to put a lot of effort into the calorie thing if he wants to lose any weight. We both low-end hypertension (I am currently resisting being medicated for this, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to convince my doctor to wait until "next time"), and I've had low-end high cholesterol since I was first tested at the age of 8. Thank you, awesome genetics! :neutral: Anyway, I started running casually in an attempt to improve my health. Six years later, here I am.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to completely rule out my March goal, but I'm currently thinking it might not happen. At least I seem to be out of my "I can't run four miles without feeling like i'm going to die" funk. Had I not been restricted on time, I would have run further yesterday. That being said, I ran my fastest 4-5 mile pace in a good year and a half.

03/01 3.47 mi
    03/03 3.25 mi
    03/07 2.71 mi
    03/09 4.00 mi
    03/13 4.00 mi
    03/17 5.41 mi
    03/21 4.73 mi
    TOTAL 27.57 mi
    GOAL 55.00 mi

2016 Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
    04/16 – River Horse 6K
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Meffordh wrote: »
    God damn , i dont even think i cant finish 3 miles and every 1 here is saying 70 miles and omg i need to catch up

That was me a few months ago. You'll soon get more distance, then get addicted, and find yourself annoyed at rest days.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm a bit behind at the moment, last nights run was 3.73 miles. Had a very nasty cough/cold last week so didn't get out for a run at all over the weekend. Last night at Club we did a '20:20' - never heard of this before, it's all new to me, but I think I did ok considering my lungs are still recovering from this bone shaking cough. I only stopped once for a minute (to having a coughing fit!), and just plodded along for the rest of it. I'm getting there slowly.

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Hey that's awesome (for me)! That's where I've found I don't gain. I noticed this week that I can pinch more skin so that's a win, even though the scale won't move. It's slow, but progress. I'm sure those numbers are net.

That's what I was thinking, too. While I go over nearly every day, my current goal calories are 1710 net. This would be a 1 lb / week loss without any exercise. I always eat back my calories though. If you look at my food diary, you will see most days are between 2500-2800 calories and I am maintaining at ~185.

3/3 - 3.25 miles on indoor track
    3/5 - 4 windy miles.
    3/6 - 6.5 flat, windy, hot (72°) miles...sweaty.
    3/9 - 3.46 miles
    3/10 - 4.45 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/11 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/12 - 7.5 hilly miles
    3/13 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/14 - Rest day...seriously sore from squats and dead lifts on Sunday
    3/15 - 4 miles on treadmill + weights (early a.m. thunderstorm kept me inside)
    3/16 - 4.02 windy miles...took a good 2 miles to get into a groove.
    3/17 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/18 - 4.13 miles. Sooo excited that I am on track for my goal this month!
    3/19 - Unplanned rest day...life got in the way.
    3/20 - 8 wind, flat miles
    3/21 - Planned rest day
    3/22 - Beautiful 4.7 miles. It was about 50° F with a very light breeze at 5:00 a.m.!

exercise.png

@kristinegift - Love the Rides! I just saw a preview of the Ride 9 on Runners World FB page...they added more plush! Can't wait! Being frugal like I am though, it may be a year from now...when they bring out the 10s!
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Thank you (both for the congrats and the advice)! I'll keep stretching and foam rolling. My shoes have 211km (131mi) on them right now, but I have another pair I can start rotating in so I may try that!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian - I did indeed run 2 miles carrying a bag of beets. :lol: It was a little annoying but I grabbed firmly down low on the bag to minimize the flopping around and had to switch sides I was carrying it a few times.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @instantmartian - I did indeed run 2 miles carrying a bag of beets. :lol: It was a little annoying but I grabbed firmly down low on the bag to minimize the flopping around and had to switch sides I was carrying it a few times.
    That's why I carry a backpack on grocery runs, less flopping.... Still, great mental image, running carrying a bag of beets.
  • Elise4270
    Options

Couldn't you have used your jog strap?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race
    3/7 6.2 miles - 43.15
    3/8 8 miles - 51.15
    3/8 4.1 miles - 55.25 << daily double
    3/9 6.2 miles - 61.45
    3/10 8 miles - 69.45
    3/10 4 miles - 73.45 << another daily double
    3/11 6.25 miles - 79.70
    3/12 16.25 miles - 95.95
    3/13 REST DAY
    3/14 10.75 miles - 106.7
    3/15 8 miles - 114.7
    3/15 4.1 miles - 118.8 << daily double
    3/16 6.6 miles - 125.4
    3/17 9.35 miles - 134.75
    3/17 4 miles - 138.75 << lunch time daily double
    3/18 6.2 miles - 144.95
    3/19 15.15 miles - 160.1 << 2,297 ft. elev of trail running
    3/20 REST DAY
    3/21 6.65 miles - 166.75 << sore Monday morning
    3/21 6.3 miles - 173.05 << daily double, less sore
    3/22 8 miles - 181.05

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 4 miles
    3/2 - 3.5 miles
    3/3 and 4 - travel days
    3/5 - 5 miles
    3/6 - 6.5 miles
    3/7 - rest day
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5.3 miles
    3/10 - rest day
    3/11 - 7.1 miles :smiley:
    3/12 and 13 - life days
    3/14 - 6.5 miles
    3/15 - 5.1 miles
    3/16 - rest day
    3/17 - 4 miles Happy St. Patrick's Day
    3/18 - 4 miles with Skip and Macy
    3/19 - 21 life days :smile:
    3/22 - 6 miles

62 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

off to read all the missed the last 3 days!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

Well a lot of good that idea does for me NOW that I've already done it!:lol:
  • Elise4270
    Options

Well a lot of good that idea does for me NOW that I've already done it!:lol:

Well you can use it next time. But only if you're buying 2 beets. Don't forget your water.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options

Hahahahaha - this made me laugh out loud! Just the mental image of it is keeping me giggling!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    OMG finally read through 1 million posts.

Blanket statement - congrats to everyone who raced this weekend you all did awesome.
    Blanket statement 2 - Skip said thank you all so much. She is determined to get to states in the 800m but she'll need to knock at least another 25 seconds off her time to be close. They only take 5 from our section and region so that's a tough one.
    Sorry my comments go back from days!
    @ariceroni I love your outfits for the 10 miler, there is no denying that is your mom!
    @ddmom0811 squat program - Bless you! No way no how I hate squats and have the flat butt to prove it :wink:
    @shanaber to start the program is on until August and if they win the recompete it can be another 3 years. He'll be home to visit in May for a week for his daughter's graduation
    @9voice9 no race should start uphill in anyway. So Skip's coach has a theory on save it or burn it. He thinks when you are done you should not be able to take another step. But he still wants them kicking like a mule for the last lap. He gives them a lap time they should run and yells to them as they come down the front and back stretches. He actually runs back and forth across the infield during the races, kinda funny to watch. Skip biggest fear is running out of steam at the end, he tells her you can slow down a few seconds, but it's much harder to pick up seconds. I guess I agree. You mentioned not being ready to trail run, sure you are. I find that when I trail run I'm a bit more laid back, I'm not all about running as fast as I can. I do my best, but trail runners stop, take time to look around and enjoy. If you find a group like our Sunday group, no one gets left behind (aka lost!) and it's just enjoyable. After the half next month I'm going back to the trails, I just don't want to push it right now.
    @adrianchr92 love the owl
    @stoshew71 I love Monte Sano! I believe I recognize that trail
    @elise4270 I can't see your bling - stupid blocker at work. Great job in the 5K and HM you are the a beast!
    @whatang happy belated birthday - yeah for Mrs. Whatang and her sub 24
    @_nikkiwolf_ pretty trail, cracked up at the comparison photos
    @ceciliaslater super marathon!!!

whew I think I'm caught up. Oh yea I won't even touch the beet conversation ha ha