Weight loss supplements...

Options

Replies

• justinfarmer919
    justinfarmer919 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    EC stack is the best. Buy a box of Bronkaid from the pharmacy and a bottle of stay awake pills which are 200mg caffeine. Take 1 each 2-3 times a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is probably the best and the only one proven to do much of anything. If there's something your curious about go to Google Scholar and try to find a peer-reviewed article on it. You'll find that most of them (e.g. CLA, Chromium, L-Carnitine, etc) have no human (emphasis on "human") studies to support the claims that the products effectively support weight loss or fat cell reduction. Most of the claims for products like I mentioned, are based on observations in mice and rat studies and therefore are out of context when discussing humans. Some might be made by studies performed by the company selling the product, which of course the results don't even need to be discussed because it's biased.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Does anyone on here use them? If so what is your take on them and what do you use?

9xfynkcdenfx.gif
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I asked my husband for the "Burn" and "Tone" supplement duo from Complete Nutrition for Christmas. I noticed zero difference whatsoever. I was disappointed. However, some supplements with caffeine may help simply because they give you more energy to get out and be active.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking Cellucor HD, which is technically a fat burner, but I take it as a pre-workout because of the caffeine and thermogenic effect. Fat burner my *kitten*. I also take amino acids, fish oil, and a multivitamin, which are all supplements but they're not for weight loss.

For weight loss, I like to use a little thing called a caloric deficit. Works like a charm.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I recently started taking Cellucor HD, which is technically a fat burner, but I take it as a pre-workout because of the caffeine and thermogenic effect. Fat burner my *kitten*. I also take amino acids, fish oil, and a multivitamin, which are all supplements but they're not for weight loss.

For weight loss, I like to use a little thing called a caloric deficit. Works like a charm.

Exactly. The application of supplements in all facets of nutrition and fitness are way way overstated. It really boils down to the supplement industry is huge and they're trying to make money on the perception that their product will help you look like the fitness models on TV or the athletes representing them.

Very few actually do what they claimed, a few more "might" actually work as advertised, but most are marginal in their impact to absolutely nothing.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty good article that will tell you what can help and what can't. There are very few that do anything and you can't take a pill in place of a calorie deficit and exercise. You don't need supplements to get fit or lose weight.

https://legionathletics.com/best-workout-supplements/

• AnvilHead
    Options
    This is a pretty good article that will tell you what can help and what can't. There are very few that do anything and you can't take a pill in place of a calorie deficit and exercise. You don't need supplements to get fit or lose weight.

Coincidence that he conveniently just happens to sell *all* of the *only* supplements which will help?

:dubdubface:

It may be a little more impartial to look up any possibly beneficial supplement on examine.com.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Coincidence that he conveniently just happens to sell *all* of the *only* supplements which will help?

:dubdubface:

It may be a little more impartial to look up any possibly beneficial supplement on examine.com.

True he does sell them, however I think a few key differences.. One he says you don't need them to get fit. Two he puts in them exactly what he says, there are no proprietary blends. But yes I agree he's making money off those, including me that buy in.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited February 2016
    Options

That's not a bad post. The information on "Carnitine" is confusing, not sure why he included it. There might be research that supports it working, I have not seen it, but there is definitely research saying it does nothing substantial. Even his own statements within that bullet point don't support it as working.

Another really important thing anybody reading that article needs pay attention to, is the dosing level of each supplement. For instance, look at the Citruline dosing at 6gms to 8gms / day. Most supplements off the shelf do not include that large of a dose in a single serving. You would have to take multiple servings to get that dose and if it includes caffeine in one serving it wouldn't be safe to take multiple doses so you're really wasting your money. I know some people that actually have taken information like what's presented above and made their own PWO drinks and recovery drinks because they can control the dosing so it's actually meaningful.
  • Haley0888
    Haley0888 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended Alli for me a few years back. I've been taking it for the past few months by the book along with diet and exercise. I've lost 20 lbs in 2 months. It seems to help, but you NEED to exercise and diet as well. Also, DEFINITELY need to stay on a low fat diet while taking these.

P.S. A LOT of people have had bad experiences with this supplement. Luckily, I haven't. Everyone is different. :smile:
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Haley0888 wrote: »
    My doctor recommended Alli for me a few years back. I've been taking it for the past few months by the book along with diet and exercise. I've lost 20 lbs in 2 months. It seems to help, but you NEED to exercise and diet as well. Also, DEFINITELY need to stay on a low fat diet while taking these.

P.S. A LOT of people have had bad experiences with this supplement. Luckily, I haven't. Everyone is different. :smile:

That's an interesting supplement. All of the studies seem to revolve around Type II Diabetes and very obese individuals. Also, there's a controlled diet and in some exercise as well, so I wonder how they really dive into the fact that it's just the Orlistat that's doing it and not the diet and exercise. I'd be curious to see an intervention where the only factor is Orlistat and no lifestyle changes are made. The improvements mentioned in the study are common with weight-loss in general, Orlistat or not.
  • Haley0888
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

That's an interesting supplement. All of the studies seem to revolve around Type II Diabetes and very obese individuals. Also, there's a controlled diet and in some exercise as well, so I wonder how they really dive into the fact that it's just the Orlistat that's doing it and not the diet and exercise. I'd be curious to see an intervention where the only factor is Orlistat and no lifestyle changes are made. The improvements mentioned in the study are common with weight-loss in general, Orlistat or not.

It's not supposed to work on its own. The info I received on it says that it will assist in shedding the extra weight by not allowing your body to obsorb extra fat. Dont quote me on that, I dont have my pamphlet in front of me. lol. It isn't some magic pill that gives you energy though... I wish... It just helps when you eat over (I think 12g of fat per meal) you take a pill and you don't obsorb all of that fat.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options

It's not supposed to work on its own. The info I received on it says that it will assist in shedding the extra weight by not allowing your body to obsorb extra fat. Dont quote me on that, I dont have my pamphlet in front of me. lol. It isn't some magic pill that gives you energy though... I wish... It just helps when you eat over (I think 12g of fat per meal) you take a pill and you don't obsorb all of that fat.

that sounds like a terrible idea.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    It should probably be noted that Orilstat, be it the 60mg or 120mg version is a pharmaceutical drug, and not a supplement.
  • Haley0888
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    It should probably be noted that Orilstat, be it the 60mg or 120mg version is a pharmaceutical drug, and not a supplement.

It's sold as a "supplement" in stores. Recommended by my physician and regulated by the FDA
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

and is of such limited efficacy it should not even be considered: Quote: "Pooled data from clinical trials suggest that people given orlistat in addition to lifestyle modifications, such as diet and exercise, lose about 2–3 kilograms (4.4–6.6 lb) more than those not taking the drug over the course of a year."

Just eat 47 less calories a day and you get the same result, without the cost and side effects.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

Unfortunately, a lot of people in this thread didn't find it to be quite that "clean" or simple: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10290083/alli-xenical-does-it-work-please-only-answer-if-you-have-actually-taken-it/p1
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Almost. It works by sending the warm oily undigested fat out through your backside, sometimes without your readiness or approval. You eat low-fat while on it to prevent this from happening. Basically, the pill says "Eat low fat OR ELSE."

Also, Alli/Orlistat is not a supplement. It's an FDA-approved medication.
  • Haley0888
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Unfortunately, a lot of people in this thread didn't find it to be quite that "clean" or simple: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10290083/alli-xenical-does-it-work-please-only-answer-if-you-have-actually-taken-it/p1

Haha I've read that thread.... that's why I said that "A LOT of people have had bad experiences". Everyone is different though. I appreciate you all having an opinion. :smile: