Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full or low fat dairy?

Replies

• chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    edited March 2016
    I think the homogenization is where it sprays out of a tiny hole (kinda like a hairspray can) so that the fat globules are smaller. But definitely mechanical. Milk is pretty lightly processed.

I like full fat dairy, and I think it is fine to use the low fat kind... I, personally, don't think milk is necessary for anyone over the age of 1, but I love the taste.
  • Beehappybaby
    Beehappybaby Posts: 43 Member
    Low fat = high carb (sugar) they've got to make it taste good somehow! Anyway id go for the full fat every time, and just watch how much. I find over time you get used to not having sweet thing's and can find substitutes..but you cant substitute cheese etc....but you can substitute the milk why not skip dairy altogether and use one of the substitutes. I use unsweetened almond milk, virtually no carbs, has protien and very small amount of fat!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2016
    Low fat = high carb (sugar) they've got to make it taste good somehow! Anyway id go for the full fat every time, and just watch how much. I find over time you get used to not having sweet thing's and can find substitutes..but you cant substitute cheese etc....but you can substitute the milk why not skip dairy altogether and use one of the substitutes. I use unsweetened almond milk, virtually no carbs, has protien and very small amount of fat!

There is no sugar difference is most dairy between skim or full fat.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Personal preference. I switched to skim a long time ago, and now I can't stand the texture of full fat. When we visit my parents, we have to buy our own milk. But I get plenty of fat elsewhere.
  • nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    Full fat is better but in moderation. I would say the culprit could be too much carbs.
    Full fat makes one satiated faster. When I eat eggs or avocado , I am less likely to eat a lot. Eat lots of carbs like pasta ( even whole wheat) and I will be likely to overeat. Carbs are not bad , just in moderation.
    And your body needs fat to produce hormones and for proper brain function.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    nsa352 wrote: »
    Full fat is better but in moderation.

No, it depends.
    Full fat makes one satiated faster. When I eat eggs or avocado , I am less likely to eat a lot. Eat lots of carbs like pasta ( even whole wheat) and I will be likely to overeat.

No, it depends on the person. I tried eating more fat and it didn't work for me, since fat is not satiating for me at all. 1% and full fat dairy are equally satisfying with very different calorie counts. Higher fat meat (especially bacon) is not satiating. Avocado can be, but I think it's the fiber.

On the other hand, carbs (the higher fiber ones or potatoes or veg and especially beans) can be very satiating for me.

Protein is the most satiating, especially with carbs.
    And your body needs fat to produce hormones and for proper brain function.

Sure, but it needs fats other than sat fat (dairy) and few people have trouble getting enough.

If you do, or if you prefer higher fat dairy, go for it. In that I don't prefer higher fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt (and don't drink milk), I'm going to keep saving my dairy fat for cheese and ice cream (and eating plenty of other sources of fat for about 30% of my diet).
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    As several other people pointed out there's nothing chemical about removing the fat from the milk. Fat and water aren't soluble together, so when you leave the milk to sit the cream (fat) rises to the top. You actually have to work to keep the fat in solution with the milk (by churning).

My grandfather was a dairy farmer. I grew up helping milk cows and other tasks on the farm. I am perfectly content with the safety of pasteurized milk, although there are a couple recipes I use that require raw. Ostkaka, Rømmegrøt ... you can make the latter from pasteurized, but its better from raw. Forget about getting Ostkaka correct though if you aren't using raw milk.

I've never cared for fatty milk, even as a child. In my family this was not considered "normal" but there you have it. I drink skimmed milk. I'm fine with fattier milk in baked goods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Almond milk as very little protein. 1 cup of almond milk has only 1g of protein.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited March 2016
    Whole milk in my coffee and fat free milk in my green smoothies. Full fat greek yogurt with cereal and 2% greek yogurt when I mix it with peanut butter. As you can see I am all over the place. If you are looking for the culprit for stalled fat loss look no further then a calorie surplus...
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    One of the things I like about some dairy products is that you can buy based on whatever fat levels you want. That being said, skim milk to me is just water with food coloring, and most low fat cheese is disgusting IMO. But if I remove those examples, most other milks, cottage cheese, yogurts, etc give me plenty of options. I tend to avoid the added sugar variants, but that's because I don't like overly sweet stuff in most dairy products.

But I think many people see the removal of fat levels as an increase in sugar even in products where that is not the case. The percentages change, but barring the added sugars it's just due to the removal of the fat.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Dairy makes me very happy. I do not skimp on the things that make me very happy. I work around them by reducing or eliminating other things I care less about. For instance, I love Monterey Jack cheese melted into my spaghetti, because seriously - is there anything better than that? I just eat a little less of it and leave the garlic bread for the kids.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    I prefer
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    i use low fat. I like the taste of my fave brand's low fat milk and don't wanna change it!
  • KNewer88
    KNewer88 Posts: 19 Member
    Personally, you'd have to pry my full-fat milk/dairy out of my cold, dead hands.

I grew up on skim/fat-free and once I got a taste of that full-fat, nectar of the cows, there was no going back. Also, Fairlife milk is my go to and it keeps me from binging on milk (its pretty pricey), otherwise, a gallon wouldn't last more than two days around me.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    sylkates wrote: »
    Almost all dairy in the US is homogenized and pasteurized. (Except for fancy brands that tout their non-homogenized status on the label by calling themselves "cream top", etc.)

The homogenization is a mechanical, not chemical process, but it also happens to whole milk. So is the removal of fat from the milk - if I recall, they are similar processes that use spinning and the fact that fat floats on top to work.

Basically it's not like whole milk is any less "tampered with" than skim milk. It just didn't have the extra step of the cream being mechanically removed.

Yep - centrifugation. Otherwise, they'd let it sit in pans like they do in the smaller non-industrialized farms and skim off what rises to the top.

Anywho, I choose a mix. I don't like to drink whole milk - coats my mouth and throat. Not refreshing. So that's always skim. I cook with whole milk (unless the recipe says otherwise). 2% cottage cheese. Other than that, whole milk cheeses for me. Yogurts are generally whole milk, but I'm not a fan of most yogurt anyway. Though there is a sheep's milk yogurt I really like (whole).
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 349 Member
    2% milk, full fat everything else!
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    I stick with full-fat. I don't do milk, but I eat cheese as my primary form of calcium, and recent studies have indicated that consumption full-fat dairy doesn't negatively affect weight-loss, although they aren't sure why. Since I only have a 1-2 ounces a day, I stick with the real stuff. Back in the day, I was all about the low-fat dairy, but fat free was definitely not worth it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/02/12/275376259/the-full-fat-paradox-whole-milk-may-keep-us-lean

There's a difference between weightloss and nutrition though. From a nutritional standpoint you should be choosing skim milk (unfortunately, because i love full fat or 2%). When it comes to fat, it's not total that's as important. It's the breakdown of types of fats. You want to limit your saturated and trans fats to as few as possible, with zero being the goal (especially for trans because it is awful). You want to get the majority of your daily fat intake from poly and monounsaturated fats.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Full fat all the way, raw if at all possible.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    If your weight loss is stalling it is not mean for sure that your diet that is the culprit. You may be overestimating your burn in exercise. On the dairy front if you choose to consume low fat you could be missing out on important nutrition that comes from full fat dairy. Low fat versions are still better than not consuming any dairy for fewer calories. Just make the decision based on your own preferences.

Other than fat, what important nutrients are present in full fat dairy and not in lowfat?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    If your weight loss is stalling it is not mean for sure that your diet that is the culprit. You may be overestimating your burn in exercise. On the dairy front if you choose to consume low fat you could be missing out on important nutrition that comes from full fat dairy. Low fat versions are still better than not consuming any dairy for fewer calories. Just make the decision based on your own preferences.

Other than fat, what important nutrients are present in full fat dairy and not in lowfat?

I think she means the fat in dairy can help in the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. IMO though, as long as you have adequate fat in your diet it won't matter...