WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Wowsa! So much to catch up on! Welcome to all of the newbies! This is a wonderful support group! If you have been reading some of the posts, we provide support in health, fitness and life; because we all know that what goes on in our lives affects our health. Remember to sign your posts with your name or whatever you would like to be called, also click on the star at the top of the page to bookmark this board so you can find it easier each day!

Woke up to a couple inches of slush on the driveway and all schools along the lakeshore area closed, which means, I will have a full house today! *sigh* I need a snow day!

Penny - gotta admit the thought of having to belly crawl between walls, ceiling,floors of ice makes me feel claustrophobic. If I were there with you, I would have grit my teeth and held in the scream and pushed on, though. I can just hear and feel the "Amazing Grace" sounds and aura....What a great memory!

Allie- Although I agree with the others about you, not needing to get permission from Tom; I also know the feeling of walking on eggshells and loving some one because you remember how they were, can be sometimes, and have the potential inside them to be that man you married. It has just been in the past couple of years, that I have stood my ground with my husband on things. It pisses him off, and he will be a total *kitten* about it for a couple of days, but he gets over it because he loves and needs me. (I think ;) ) I definitely think you should keep your vacation and let your SIL know that you already made plans. If she needs care for her daughter (?) she will arrange a trip for when she has care available. That said; you do what you feel is best for you! Thinking of you! <3

Anne- You okay? Life is hard when you aren't getting enough sleep. Are you trying any meditation before bed? Another thing that works for me to help relax is the alpha brain wave relaxation music that they have on Youtube./www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPni755-Krg There are a bunch of different ones.

Joyce- prayers for your sister and her doctor's appointment. Pork! You could season it with an asian spice and make a lettuce roll, or make some pork tacos, mix it with some zucchini, egg, pesto for a yummy "bake" and top with some parmesan...

Mary- So glad Shep seems to be doing better!

March resolutions and goals:
    strength train a minimum of three times a week
    walk daily
    get all of my water in!!!
    log my meals daily
    complete two home improvement projects

I am sure I have missed some people, but you know I think of you all often throughout the day! Love and Hugs <3
  • drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    New to page, but desperately looking for some motivation and encouragement. I turned 50 last September and have noticed that my body is changing but not in the ways I was planning on. :(
    I do great with my eating while at work, then I get home and it's like all bets are off. Frustrating.
    I am on my feet all day at work, when I get home the last thing I want to do is exercise.
    I have started doing some stretching in the morning and attempting some pilates.
    I have hurt my back often in the last 4 months without doing anything, so makes exercise difficult.
    My goal for March: Pilates 3 times a week, stretching daily, have a fitbit and get 10k steps a day, cutting out junk food when I get home (or at least have a small amount on the days I do cave), and log ALL food continuously.
    /crossing fingers that I get my motivation back!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Goal for February is take time for myself and finding that calm space. Do my best to take care of myself and not overdo. No is such a great word. Yes to those things that give joy!

Did the best I could given I dealt with two seriously ill loved ones.

For March my goal is to let compassion be my guiding mantra. As I navigate this difficult time I tell myself what must be protected, what must be restored, and what must be let go.

:heart: Margaret
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Super Tuesday Today ~ We will go vote later.

My goal for February was to move more and I think I did.

Goal for March is to wean myself off the computer. I am totally addicted to playing games, reading this chat, and watching tv at the same time.

Carol
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    drcrisos wrote: »
    I have hurt my back often in the last 4 months without doing anything, so makes exercise difficult.
    Hi drchrisos and welcome! Hurting your back without doing anything sounds to me as though you really need to up your core strength. Try doing planks to start with. If you can't hold a plank on your elbows and toes, do elbows and knees. Even if you do just 5 or 10 seconds that's better than nothing.

gia07, you're way close enough to 50+ to hang with us, though maybe you don't want to think about it that way ;)

Keep coming back, both of you, and you'll find plenty of support and inspiration.
    /Penny, usually, but just now not at the emoticon-object-026.gif

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OK folks - Here is my report.

Feb progress: Keep my alcohol consumption to 14 units a week, with one alcohol free day. - Not too many slip ups. Probably was about 16 units. Did the free days. :D

Lose my pesky pound. - I lost it and half of it has come back. :'(

Tidy hidden areas in the house. - Fail :'(

Write memoir 3 days a week. - Yes except for one day when I was ill and one day when the grandchildren were here.

DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. Improving all the time.

March resolutions : The same. I won't commit to the tidying though as my heart isn't in it. :ohwell:

Tonight is a SWISH (swap) evening at the W I. I must iron something to take. Not really excited about it as nearly everyone is fatter than me. :ohwell: I could take a handbag, but it's quite an expensive one, so I probably won't.

Yoga was tough on my hips today. Orange chakra. :laugh:

My new navy striped dress looks great. Size 8 USA. Could even have gone smaller, but I like a bit of wriggle room. My navy leggings should arrive today so I can wear it tomorrow for lunch with my friend. :D
    Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    well it is the money aspect of the trip to Nashville it is 1400.00 as of right now, for myself and my dad. and he doesnt want to part with that..
    My DSIL mom has alzheimers ,not horrible ,and will be 82 this year.. with Sean being down in Florida in rehab, and Jean working and having other than the companion in the morning doing total care and working, she needs a break and I understand that... she doesnt really feel comfortable having to hire someone full time for the time she is away when Faith(her mom) is comfortable with me.
    DSIL will be taking FMLA for the summer so she will have the whole summer off, now there are 2 homes that her and Sean have to open up and get going for the summer, both in New Hampshire.. and they are making it official on July 17th so she is planning a wedding..
    me it is just going to be for me, gym, work, and home ,will see what happens about the trip to Nashville.. will let that lay for right now..
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am 48 can I join? There are not too many upper 40's to 50's women that have a hang out place. Can I join or should I tuck my tail in and quietly move along?

Welcome! We will be glad to have you join us, although we might be jealous of your "youth."

• drkatiebug
    Options
    Just turned 50 (Feb 28) and pretty new to MFP (20 days). Hoping this group will motivate me on my journey. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis so moving is painfully and something I have tried to avoid in the past, but the weight must go, so not moving is not an option. My goal (as simple as it may sound) is to walk 25 more steps each day. Wish me luck!

Welcome! Love your screen name. Mine should be "soican'tquilt". My grandma tried to teach me, but I was horrible! I think my mama still has the quilt with the horrible mess I made on the back side of it.
  • drkatiebug
    Options
    Can't sleep tonight. My alarm is going to go off in 4 hours. This is night number two. Tomorrow will be an emotional battle regarding everything in my life that is going on.

Anne from Wisconsin

Anne, my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for the emotional pain you are going through. I wish I could just make it go away.

• drkatiebug
    Options
    Drcrisos, welcome! I second the suggestion to strengthen your core. Some exercises where you concentrate on tightening the line between your rib cage and pelvic floor and breathing correctly will help.

Allison, good for you for sticking to your plans.

Heather, we want pictures of the dress and leggings.

Off to exercise. Have a good day,
    K in NEGA
  • Suzy239
    Suzy239 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new and want to lose 50 pounds by September 1, 2016.

Here are my current goals:

Log 5 miles on fitbit daily
    Stationary bike - 1 min more per day until I hit 20 minutes. I'm at 10 minutes now.
    Finish Marie Kondo's process for de-cluttering (The Life Changing Process of Tidying Up)
    Drink 2-3 cups green tea a day. Add more healthy teas if not seeing progress.
    Lose 9 pounds this month

Suzy
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Miriam: I'm so sorry for your poor kitty. I hope the vet will be able to help. :cry:

gla07: You are welcome here, even if you are a "youngster." :smiley:

drcrisos: Your goals sound good, especially logging every bite and swallow. That will help you more than anything other than exercise. Logging every bite and swallow and exercise combined can help you transform yourself. I'm thrilled with what they did for me. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: You are a wise woman. Compassion is an excellent mantra. I hope this month goes well for you & all of those you love. :heart:

Heather: I looked up orange chakra, but my brain didn't make the connection with yoga or sore hips. I hope the leggings arrive on time so you can wear your striped dress with them for your lunch. :smiley:

Anne from Wisconsin: (((HUGS))) :heart:

Our newer VW is part of the recall that is going on and we need to drop it off at the car dealer later this morning. They thought they'd have it done by the next day, but called back and said they'd need to keep it for two days. We will be a single car family for a couple of days. I don't anticipate any problems with that. This weekend we plan to go to Washington to visit DS & DDIL. We'll leave after my riding lesson if all goes well.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Morning!

Woke up to 2 full pages of March here already. I'll go back to the Feb thread to catch the last bits of convo on there. They are predicting a wintry mix later today in our area of NE oHIo...boo!!

Starting SWSY (Strong Women Stay Young) today. I think I will do that on Tues/Thurs, and my PT workout on the other 3 days. As soon as the weather turns nice I will bring my walking 3 miles/day back into the mix. The weekends are my make-up days should I want to add or make-up missed workouts. Haven't lost weight in many months and have actually gained back several pounds but I know that I have gained the strength to see this journey through and have made great strides in not throwing in the towel for over 360 days. That was my major downfall in the past. That's the biggest win for me. My annual physical shows that I am healthy so that's a win too!

Laundry, kitchen wipe down, taking Pokey to get her nails trimmed, post office and crafting on my list for today.

Hubs has a phone interview this afternoon with Virginia Commonwealth University. Hopefully he will get a campus invite from that. I so want him to get this as our daughter is moving to Richmond in a few months and it would be just wonderful to join her there. I also have 2 nieces and 4 great nieces/nephews there that I would love to be near.

Thanks for keeping us going Barbie!

Cheri in Fairlawn, oHIo
  • deborahdoyle62
    deborahdoyle62 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good morning... I am 53 years young... I was born at 9 pounds, and have ALWAYS been a full figured woman! This past summer I fell and injured my left ankle and right knee... while on crutches my weight bloomed to 206... I am 5 foot 3 inches. I started with Physical therapy for 3 months, then in October a friend referred me to MFP, once I got a handle on my eating, I joined a gym and got a personal trainer. Today I am proud to say that I am down 20 pounds, and exercise at least 3 days a week... I still have another 36 pounds to go till I hit my ideal weight range. I would love join this group, I am always in need of positive influences!
    I am looking for ideas for packing my meals during the days I work. I am a nurse working 3-4 12 hour shifts, 7am to 7pm. I struggle with eating the same foods every day. The choices in our cafeteria are not on the healthy side... salads are getting boring! any ideas my new friends.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Katla - the orange is the area around the hips, above the public bone. The teacher was getting us to open our hips. Mine are arthritic, so I could feel it by the end. But a good pain. :) We had to wear orange or take some orange object with us. It's all a bit of fun and very lighthearted. Personally, I don't believe any of it, but I'm happy to go along with it and use the visualisation. We also chant sutras, but, again, it's all done with a light and open minded touch. I really like her. <3

This afternoon I got on my exercise bike and did another 244 calories at high resistance. o:):D Yoga is wonderful, but doesn't burn enough calories for my appetite. I like to EAT! :laugh:

Tonight is freezer chilli with cabbage, as I have to get off to the W I. No alcohol . :D

Heather UK
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Goblet Squat- 3X7X 25
    Russian kettle bell swing-50 X 10X 25

Today is the first day of my kettle bell swing challenge. I decided to do extra sets in case life got in the way during the month. That way I can bank some of the swings. I can really feel the extra! Now I am off to swim for 45 minutes. Hopefully that will relax and stretch out my muscles.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am 48 can I join? There are not too many upper 40's to 50's women that have a hang out place. Can I join or should I tuck my tail in and quietly move along?

I will allow it... you may join... welcome :0)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    morning peeps and new peeps - holy farts!!!! 2 pgs already????!!!!
  • half15
    half15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New and 52! Working hard at health! My goals are: get more running in, attend yoga once a week and do on my own once a week, start some lifting and make good food choices. Nothing spectacular, but should go a long way in bringing the scale back where I want it. Hello ladies!