WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    I had a NSV at the Red Cross blood donation today. The guy cuffed my arm, getting ready for the big stick, then he said: I need a different cuff. This one is too big. Guess pumping that iron is paying off. LOL!

I also wore a pair of purple pants today that would not button last summer. Now they are almost too loose.

Good night, my friends!

That is so exciting, doing happy dance with you. Way to go, you have been working really hard. It pays off :)

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Barbie- Great Workout! I started out using a 10 pound plate from my weight set. Then I bought a 25#, 30# and 35# Kettlebells. I will be looking for 40# and 45# before the end of the year I think. I am noticing increased muscle definition from head to toe. I just need to get the fat layer off. Hopefully by June 1st. This challenge and deload of my Stronglifts should initiate a cut phase according to an instructor from EM2WL. Where I maintain muscle and burn fat.

Drkatiebug - congratulations! That is a great NSV!!!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie: Congratulations on the great NSV's! The blood pressure cuff being too big is awesome, and wearing the purple pants that used to be too small made it all even better. WTG! :bigsmile:

Tomorrow we have to take my car to the VW dealer to do repair work that is part of the big Volkswagen recall. They'll have it for three days. I have to miss yoga so we can be at the dealer by about 10 am.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,764 Member
    Options
    Michelle~ we have a grill outside..
    Barbie~ I am a bit of a dunce when understanding some things clock in a thunderstorm? meaning tune him out?
    well I have been trying to eat right for the last week but the scale hasn't moved... not getting discouraged will keep plugging along..
    I don't have to go to work until 11, so will go to the gym after my tea... then go feed DFIL, then come home and make chili...
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Grrrrrr - lost my post again - it's always because I forget to hit edit before trying to do something else to my post. I will post again tomorrow! Then I'll explain about the tuba smiley-music007.gif
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Yesterday was a bust. I never made it to the doctor, but spent about 3 hours searching for the kitty with a group of about 40 other people. Still no luck. We wondered if it hid somewhere and died. Poor thing.

We were supposed to have a co-op meeting last night, so I got busy and cleaned up my classroom area tables and chairs, but then the meeting was cancelled. One of the other ladies is sick with the flu. I feel terrible, thinking that she must have gotten it from me, but honestly, it's all over town, so she could have gotten it anywhere.

So today I'm going to try again to get myself to the doctors office. My throat is still sore and I still have a cough. They told me just to come when I could and they will work me in. They've been very nice about it.

I woke up about 4am and finally got out of bed at 5. I'm not sleeping well. Thinking about the cat. Poor thing.

Well, I'm off. Have a great day everyone.

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,310 Member
    Options
    Mary - are you thinking of taking up competitive body building? It sounds as if you could. Doing brilliantly. <3

Drkatie - Great job! You must be so pleased. :flowerforyou:

Had a bit of a ding dong with DH this morning. I got a bit wound up and was a bit harsh (with reason, of course :noway: ) As always he got very, very upset and was crying. He really can't take it. So, I apologised, which didn't work, so I really had to work to get him back on an even keel. He is very sensitive and vulnerable, but sometimes I just can't help myself. :ohwell: I think he's ok now, but OH DEAR! As Michele said, I have to remember I am the stronger one and he is doing the best he can. I know I had a good point to make though and I hope he will remember it. :bigsmile:

Read through some of my memoir this morning. I'm beginning to forget what I've already written! Must do some more reading this afternoon. I feel as if I'm blindly fighting my way through a room full of curtains.

Having our delayed guinea fowl for dinner. :)

Love Heather UK
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Wednesday! What a gorgeous couple of days we have had with sun and warmer than normal temps! It actually was in the mid-high 60's yesterday! I got my wagon out and de-cobwebbed and found that the mice had eaten through the tires! Crazy! There was actually a mouse nest with a mama in it, inside the tire! Ended up getting the stroller (I keep that in the mouse-free basement) and took the kids for a walk! Training the new walkers to walk on the bike path, stop when I say, and to walk in line when I say "Ducks in a row!" when other walkers/runners/bike riders are coming our way! It is a chore with six little ones, but we had a ball. If they are naughty on the walk, they have to hang on to the stroller and walk that way for a while.

Sylvia- Sorry about all that work getting ready, only to have the meeting cancelled! My cold has also migrated to a sore throat. Hope you get well soon!

Heather
    - Oh, how I envy you with your adventurous eating husband! I would love to make a bouillabaisse! I would have to eat it alone. Perhaps, I could tempt my son with it; he does like seafood, but is not a fan of soup...DH does not like seafood and is a very boring meat and potatoes kind of guy. Your post last week about the lentil and chorizo soup did prompt me to buy some chorizo so I could make my own version of this. I would imagine not much needed for seasoning due to the flavor of the chorizo? I live in a small town and we have a local fishmonger, baker, butcher, chocolatier. Our fishmonger sells locally caught fresh water fish (salmon, trout, perch, etc), so I am not sure if a real bouillabaisse can be made without the shellfish.

Katie
    - Whoot! Way to go on the NSV! I need to see those purple pants! Yea me! I used NSV in a sentence and I know what it means!

Becca
    - go to musicnotes.com and they have printable piano music! For beginners, intermediate and advanced players. Maybe you can find something you like on there!

Kids beginning to arrive, ttyl
  • grandmallie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    well back from the gym.. left here around 4:30 and did the machines first about 20 minutes on those do 3 reps of 15 on each... then onto the treadmill, well I said to myself.. lets see what you can do.. i had about 1,200 steps on the Surge before I got on it, well darn it I was gonna make 10,000 steps come h#ll or high water... and I did it!!! took me 68 minutes at 3mph clip but I did it.. went in took a shower and having another cup of tea and then off to see DFIL, then back to make the chili
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,642 Member
    Options
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all you early exercisers.
    Itseems that many of us have that cold migrating to bad cough. Could we have picked up the virus from our computers?
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KJL ~ What am amazing person you are to care for the little ones and have FUN doing it. I kept both my grands their first year (mom is a teacher) and was ready to pass them on to day care after that.

Kay ~ Congrats on your NSV at the blood donation site and on your purple pants being loose.

Lisa ~ So hoping the job works out just right. You've got all of us behind you rooting.

Heather ~ You must a a strong person to care for your fragile DH. I cannot imagine my DH crying. The only time I have seen him cry in 47 yrs was when he got the news that both his mom and dad had passed away unexpectedly. His dad had been ill with heart trouble and had a heart attack. Mom got overcome trying to help him and had a heart attack herself. Both died as a result. They were at their summer home in Florida and it took a lot of work getting them back to GA.

Taking the Pom to get a puppy cut today. DH doesn't want me to get it too short as he is afraid that April will bring more cold weather, but, Pom is a bit miserable sitting out on the screened in porch already in his furry blanket.

Carol
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    I had a NSV at the Red Cross blood donation today. The guy cuffed my arm, getting ready for the big stick, then he said: I need a different cuff. This one is too big. Guess pumping that iron is paying off. LOL!

I also wore a pair of purple pants today that would not button last summer. Now they are almost too loose.

Good night, my friends!

:) Congratulations on these great victories
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :)Michele, Here is the whole quote that I have made a goal for myself, "Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm." It is from Robert Louis Stevenson
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Michele, Here is the whole quote that I have made a goal for myself, "Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm." It is from Robert Louis Stevenson

I love this. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr okc
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,310 Member
    Options
    Carol - That is a truly sad story about your DH's parents. :s

KJ - I cheat with the bouillabaisse because I use a jar 750ml of ready made fish soup. It's not the same as the real thing, which is made with bony little Mediterranean fish, but it's still delicious. In Montpellier last December I was able to buy freshly made fish soup from the market and just add bits of already boned small fish, like red mullet etc. I have made it before without the mussels, but he happened to have some in the shop. You can probably buy the Soup de Poisson on line. You could use half a jar and some fish for yourself and freeze the rest of the jar for another time. :D
    I think you are amazing with those little ones! You must have so much patience! Over here you are only allowed four children maximum and then only if you have the advanced qualifications. Otherwise three and only one under one years old. Childminding is full of red tape with masses of paperwork, but can be very remunerative. My granddaughter goes three full days a week and my grandson goes occasionally after school when their childminder employs an assistant. She only has a smallish house in London! I have no idea how she manages, but she is fantastic!
    My DH doesn't like everything that I do, for example he can't cope with a lot of chilli, but I just have my own "funny" lunches when I get the urge. :laugh: I realise that he is better than a lot of men of his generation.
    I put smoked paprika in the lentil stew. The quality of the lentils is important - I try to use a Puy type. A bit of smoked bacon or pancetta, some tinned tomatoes (not too many), onions, garlic, sometimes a bit of carrot, celery. I keep the chorizo in 2-3 inch pieces, as a sausage. Some herbs.

I've just made DH an Allbran loaf. :D It's in the oven. Also started off my No Knead Bread, which I haven't made for ages. It is sooooooo ooh delicious that I have to keep it for company to stop me eating it. I am leaving it to ferment for at least 24 hours.

Love Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,642 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

congrats on getting into those pants! barbiecat is a skinny Minnie

well, the roof and the fence are done. Kirby says twice a year the city will pick up stuff for free so we are having them pick up the remainder of the dog house and the old picket fence. I am waiting for them to pick up the yard waste, our bin is full and they pick it up every other week and I got more poop to put in there. I killed our weed wacker, you know the thing that trims the grass down by the sides of your house? well, we had enough points on amazon to get another one for free, BONUS, so I can finish up this weekend.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: :heart:

Heather: I think writing the memoir would take more courage than most of us can muster. You are a very strong. Hugs for your DH. :star: I haven't made bouillabaisse in years. When I did, it cost the earth because the recipe I have calls for saffron. I use halibut when I'm trying to impress someone, and rockfish when I'm not, but we put in all sorts of extra treats including steamer clams, crab, and whatever is fresh and available. It makes a great potluck meal if you supply the broth and some basics and let the guests bring the treats they would like to include. :drinker:

Alison: Victory at the gym! Congratulations. :smiley:

I'm missing yoga today to take my VW to the dealer for repairs required by the giant recall. They'll have it for three days. DH & I will have to share his car for a bit. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well it is 10:25 here and just put stuff in the dryer, I have to leave in 20 minutes here is to hoping it is mostly dry...
    made spring vegetables and a sweet potato for lunch..
    hopefully even though I am going in at 11, I can still eat with everyone, I am the one who has to answer the phone anyway..
    I am going to plug away every day and get down to the weight I want..
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Did my exercises:
    0nvb1lc9pjtu.jpg

My brother David with his 7th grandchild, Matthew David at his bris yesterday. Doesn't he look proud!

axl6k50cznd2.jpg

Beautiful sunny warm day here in NE oHIo. Overdid the walking these last 2 days and my shins are a screamin'.

Thinking of you all as I go about my day!

Cheri
    uujcidpf8t7r.jpg