WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Hi all, I've not fallen off the face of the earth, been keeping up, but haven't posted.

Things are really, really, really difficult right now and I'm just working so hard to make them better. Every morning I get up praying that today is the day that the hard work will pay off. During my last "crisis" I turned to exercise, but I just couldn't get myself into that mindset this time which made things worse. For almost 2 weeks I ignored the early morning alarm clock and didn't get up to exercise and it spiraled out of control from there. Ironically the generousity of friends led to eating and drinking much more than I should. I know I've gained some weight but too afraid to get on the scale to get the actual number. This is really disheartening because I hit my goal in December.

I got myself motivated again regarding the exercise and have been getting on the elliptical in the morning before I start my day. Mary's kettlebell challenge motivated me to do a challenge of my own and I have challenged myself to a 20 minute kettlebell routine everyday. Began this on Saturday and so far so good. Haven't faced the stronglifts again but I'm hoping within the next couple of weeks and then I will be back on track with my routine.

Keeping up with you all has helped to keep me from falling completely off the deep end regarding my diet and exercise. Thanks for silently supporting me.

I have been silently sending you all good thoughts for your struggles and triumphants.

Everyone have a great day.
    Chris in MA

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    Sorry I have not been posting but trying to focus on my eating since I am a non eater with emotional stress. Trying to push myself to eat but the nausea can be overwhelming. Feels like I have a stomache bug when I go through this.

Anne from Wisconsin

I did the same thing when my ex walked out. I was in complete physical shock and dropped more than 25 pounds almost instantly. I couldn't eat and what I forced down did not stay there. I, fortunately, have a wonderful naturopathic MD that I've been seeing for years and she prescribed some natural supplements that helped. Some worked on my stress and others helped directly with my digestion.

Me, too; I called it "divorce guts". At the time, I just took the weight loss, since I had the extra to spare.

Anne, mind if I ask what some of the supplements were? Thanks!

Larisa in Seattle

Think you mean TheRealMsWolf for the supplements.

Anne from Wisconsin

Oh dear, I got the quotes mixed up. Sorry! :)
    Larisa in Seattle
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,994 Member
    Don't worry Chris I have been I the same boat.... Hang in there... :)
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    [Me, too; I called it "divorce guts". At the time, I just took the weight loss, since I had the extra to spare.

Anne, mind if I ask what some of the supplements were? Thanks!

Larisa in Seattle

Larisa - Maybe TMI, but I didn't just vomit, I got the runs. For that, she had me take charcoal - it comes in capsules. I also just ate very little at a time and eventually it got better. For my mood, I took Cerenity (made by Ortho Molecular). I still take this one, but I've reduced the amount substantially. She recommended Melatonin for my insomnia, but it didn't work for me. Since then, I've discovered that I took it wrong - you're supposed to let it dissolve under the tongue and I just swallowed it. When I used it the right way, it worked like a charm! Go figure. >:) (Anne - this might be something you can try! Just read the directions, lol) That's all that I can remember. She didn't want me taking too much since I couldn't keep anything down anyway. I also had acupuncture, which I recommend to anyone and everyone for absolutely everything!

I take a number of supplements on an ongoing basis. Feel free to ask me about them at any time.

Kristan

Thank you, Kristan! Not really TMI; I appreciate your willingness to share.

Larisa in Seattle
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    Mikesmom - hang in there girlfriend, we're here for ya
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    :'( I'm grieving the loss of my weirdest cat, Zoso, this morning.

Very sad. Our furry friends bring such joy! Take care. Gayle Minneapolis
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Talked with my neighbor across from me, on my landing. she said I looked slimmer! She hasn't seen me in awhile so it was nice to hear! I tried on some slacks I have been holding onto (size 20) and I can button, clasp and zip up! I would only wear them if I have a top that covers the belly part though. But not tight in the backside area and waistband area! I then went thru my summer shirts and got rid of all my size 24/26 shirts that were hanging off my shoulders weird. It's liberating! I can feel when I swim and stretch that my body is changing.
    So my neighbor gave me some southern fried chicken, chicken gravy, and mashed potatoes that she had leftover from her Sunday brunch with friends. My son loved it, and I tried a bite of everything, but was a bit too rich for me. I had my wild rice, spinach, and tilapia dinner instead. I did tell a little white lie this morning when I returned her containers that I so loved it, and my son pigged out on it! She beamed at me. Things we do.....

Yep I think my Mom had a hand (up in heaven) in getting my sister and I together. It's just too much of a coincidence that my thoughts have been so on her, how she would handle it, and bam! my sister calls out of the blue. I called my older sister, and told her. I also told my middle sister that she has to call my older sister and make amends. When my middle sister called me awhile ago, the first thing she said was "I'm sorry, I'm sorry". But then when she called my older sister she didn't say anything was close to an apology. Told my middle sister, that she can't internalize her feelings, and that we care how she is, what she is doing, and generally just sharing our stories is what you do when you are family. No demands, but she should expect that we like bouncing life off her. Anyway, its a stress load off my heart and mind, that is for sure. Going to send her a card and pronounce my undying sisterly luv to her!

Didn't attend the TOPS meeting today. Rec'd an email the other day stating what the minutes were last weeks meeting and then the upcoming program for this week. It was to be about God's hand in our journey. Don't get me wrong, I am non judgmental when it comes to talking about religion but at my weight loss meeting I don't think it's appropriate. The leader talked to us about only using items and program choices from the TOPS handbook. I think how religion plays in your life is a personal one. And it has no place at a TOPS meeting. I shall be talking to the leader off to the side about my feelings on this.

Today I shall be having my quinoa salad, with dried cranberries, slivered almonds, spinach, feta cheese crumbles and some light Italian dressing. Woohooo!!

Becca
    Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Chris- Great job on your commitment to getting back on track! I'm happy to hear that you are starting your own kettle bell challenge. We are all here to support you!

Janetr - Great workout! You really are doing an amazing job! Did you remember to take pictures and measurements?

My DH just informed me that we are going to have to travel to the cities for his job the next two days. I will have to get packing and make sure I bring my kettle bell. I won't be able to do my Stronglifts routine but I will be able to get more of my challenge done. I have decided to leave chef at the kennel this time. He actually loves going there.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Today's weight training:

Triceps Extension 3x10x10
    Lunge 3x10x5
    Abdominal Crunches 3x12x10
    Dumbbell Row, Two-Arm, Bent-Over 3x10x10
    Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell 3x10x20
    Leg Curls 3x10x8
    Side Leg Raises 3x10x8
    Leg Extension 3x10x8
    Overhead Press, Barbell 3x10x20
    Front Squats, Barbell, Arms Crossed 3x10x5
    Front Raises, Straight Arm 3x10x10

Janetr OKC

Nice job! :)

Cheri
  • csofled
    Hi all, I've not fallen off the face of the earth, been keeping up, but haven't posted.

Things are really, really, really difficult right now and I'm just working so hard to make them better. Every morning I get up praying that today is the day that the hard work will pay off. During my last "crisis" I turned to exercise, but I just couldn't get myself into that mindset this time which made things worse. For almost 2 weeks I ignored the early morning alarm clock and didn't get up to exercise and it spiraled out of control from there. Ironically the generousity of friends led to eating and drinking much more than I should. I know I've gained some weight but too afraid to get on the scale to get the actual number. This is really disheartening because I hit my goal in December.

I got myself motivated again regarding the exercise and have been getting on the elliptical in the morning before I start my day. Mary's kettlebell challenge motivated me to do a challenge of my own and I have challenged myself to a 20 minute kettlebell routine everyday. Began this on Saturday and so far so good. Haven't faced the stronglifts again but I'm hoping within the next couple of weeks and then I will be back on track with my routine.

Keeping up with you all has helped to keep me from falling completely off the deep end regarding my diet and exercise. Thanks for silently supporting me.

I have been silently sending you all good thoughts for your struggles and triumphants.

Everyone have a great day.
    Chris in MA

Hang in there! smiley-hug002.gif

Cheri
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member

Janetr - Excellent work! :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK

Thank you, I appreciate the support. Today I really tried to talk myself out of it and it kicked my rear end, but I did it. I've been on my kick the last several nights of only sleeping about 4 hours a night. Then I get worn out. But I did it and made me feel good about it.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Janetr - Great workout! You really are doing an amazing job! Did you remember to take pictures and measurements?

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Thanks, Mary. Had to really push myself today to get started and do it. Didn't want to lol I took my measurements, no pics. But I have a couple that are fairly recent to compare them to, I think.

Janetr OKC
  • csofled
    Annr wrote: »
    So my neighbor gave me some southern fried chicken, chicken gravy, and mashed potatoes that she had leftover from her Sunday brunch with friends. My son loved it, and I tried a bite of everything, but was a bit too rich for me. I had my wild rice, spinach, and tilapia dinner instead. I did tell a little white lie this morning when I returned her containers that I so loved it, and my son pigged out on it! She beamed at me. Things we do.....
    Becca
    Oregon

Thought of you Becca when I saw this today!
    tk3gmjac6fm7.jpg

Cheri
    Fairlawn, oHIo
  • janetr7476
    edited March 2016
    Cheri - thank you so much. I'm proud of you and I both. We have put off doing it and now we are giving it a shot and keeping at it. That's a GOOD thing. :) The support here helps me so much and the encouragement is so appreciated. Thank you.

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Cheri: Your brother looks like a proud grandpa. :heart:

DJ: I'm sorry you slipped. I hate that, and it seems like it is almost as bad as falling, (says the broken wristed bad example.) I hope you heal quickly. :flowerforyou:

Ms Wolf: I'm sorry about the loss of your kitty. Our fur babies are dear members of our family. :broken_heart:

Yvonne in TX: I hope you're feeling better soon. :smiley:

Chris in MA: It is so good to see you post. I hope each day is better than the day before. (((hugs)))

We dropped my car off at the VW dealer for it's recall work and then went to Costco. I got Vitamin B12 caps. DH says sublingual is better, but I have trouble remembering to take it so I got capsules that I can put in with my morning pills. This way I won't forget to take B12.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,994 Member
    Over 16,000 steps and another hour and a half of work...had veggies for lunch and it is in the high 70s here in Ct.feels like summer :D
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,988 Member
    Hello all: I am really having trouble breathing today. Started using albuterol inhaler last night or would have gotten no sleep. Took twice as long to do horse chores this morning as I had to keep stopping to catch my breath. Next Wednesday and appointment with pulmonologist cannot come quickly enough.Doing well on food because not being able to breathe really limits your appetite but not doing well on exercise because I get short of breath just walking around the house.

MsWolf - Sorry to hear about your kitty, they are so dear.

Katybug - congrats on those NSVs!!!

Katla - Sorry you missed your yoga.

Allison - You are chugging on down those tracks!

Thanks to all of you ladies for your continued encouragement. You are an important part of my day.

Sue in WA
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    it's raining here today, pretty hard with tornado warnings so instead of heading out in the rain I headed to the gym and a treadmill. I hate treadmills but they get the job done. Did 30 minutes of workout with my daughter and have had a busy day since then so the rain hasn't stopped me!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Sue: I am so sorry you're having breathing problems. Is this new since your move to Washington, or was it an issue before the move? I'll be sending good thoughts for your health. :heart: