WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Margaret – glad things are taking a turn, DH Yeah!!! Positive is good even if it slow… as for DS this is hard but not having him live with you is probably for the best although tough… mom’s always want to be able to see that their kids are ok.

Betty – you snuck in the hint that today was your birthday… Happy ! Happy Birthday!!!!

Janetr – hang in, we have all been to our own version of your quagmire, and it is a new moment and you can find your way out, as all of us are throwing you a line!

Ok all the “flying” comments…. I love hot air balloons, small and large planes, roofs and tall ladders, but just looking at a zip line or bungie jumping gives me the hebeejebees!

Swimming – I wish I had access to a pool! I was a water polo player, an instructor, and a lifeguard - but the pool access here is expensive.

Allie – good question… Sylvia where are you????
    Later - Sylvia sorry to hear of the drama, but glad you are fine!

Heather – Beatrice Heather Molly!!!! You are one special GMa!!!!

Kimses - I agree with you, I “zipped” over the zip line pic….

CJ – you are a pilot! There is a small airport near me you can come visit! I worked for a man with his pilot’s license in College and flew with him when ever I could and loved it.

Vicki – sending good thoughts!!!!

Pip and Kirby – good thoughts!!!!

Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Betty- Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fun day Celebrating!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,813 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I will be going to work at 7:15 and then off at noon. I will try and get out for a walk today, dont like the gym on the weekends
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Weird thing happened today. I was on the exercise bike when I started to get an indigestion pain, which rapidly turned very severe. Probably one of the worst I've ever had. Strange thing to happen in the morning as I had just had the same breakfast I have every day - muesli and fruit. I took some Rennies, but it was still so bad I couldn't continue and had to lie down. Ended up taking 6 tablets. Eventually it went away and I got back on the bike and finished my regime, including the weights.
    I know the pain can't be gall stones as I've had my gall bladder out. I began to think it could be angina, but my pulse etc was normal and I was able to carry on afterwards with no recurrence. No shortness of breath. I hope it was just a one off, as I do suffer from time to time with indigestion, which can be painful, but nothing as bad as this.

Alcohol free day today. Chilli with roasted butternut squash and spring cabbage. For lunch I am having 8 Dim Sum which I will steam. DH is having a ham sandwich. :laugh:

Tonight is the rugby final of the Six Nations. England have won all five of their games so far, so they are the champions, but, if they win tonight, they will achieve the Grand Slam! Cause for national rejoicing. :drinker: DH will be glued to the TV with a beer. Upstairs. I will, be watching something downstairs. :D England are playing France, in Paris.

Love Heather UK
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh ~ Beautiful grand children! You are blessed. So sorry for the insurance mess!

Pip ~ Good thoughts for Kirby's adjustment.

Katla ~ Hope you get fantastic new neighbors.

I am afraid of heights too. Looking at the zip line made me feel dizzy. Hate roller coasters.

No piercings or tattoos in this family. Would like to get my ears repierced so I could wear some of the pretty earrings my DH finds.

Looks like rain today, so hope the grand son's ball game gets cancelled.

Carol
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 95/100/105/110, 5X5X 115
    Sumo squats-5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/60/65, 5X5X 70
    BR-5X5X 75

10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

GobletSquat - 3x7x30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing - 25x10x30 = 250

Day 19 Challenge Total = 7,340

I will be on the road all day. I got up early to get my workout in. I also increased the weight of the Kettlebell to 30 pounds today.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,813 Member
    Options
    Well at 40 got second hole in my ears,and at 45 got my one and only tattoo,great blue heron (naturally)with names underneath. Wanted to get a small flying Heron ended up with one much bigger because the artist said ohhhh you want to see the detail..Tom said no wife of mine is getting a tattoo. Ha!!! Anyway I got it on my right side of my leg on the calf..Holy Cow did it hurt,was right on the bone,I had to think long and hard where to put it.if I had put it on my breast the darn thing would be life size by the time I was 80.;)
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING FROM TN. hv3y1d24n2o5.jpg
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's 21 degrees out here and I get to dress up as the Easter Bunny for an easter egg hunt in town. This should be interesting. Sometimes I wonder why I volunteer for this stuff. I will send pics later.

Kimses in MA
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Saturday! Most Saturday mornings I wake up at about 5:00am and begin my day with grocery shopping. Well, I ended up doing my shopping last night, so I could take advantage of a $14 off coupon that expired at midnight (yes I am THAT cheap!) Anyway, as tired as I was last night, it sure feels good to wake up on a Saturday and NOT have to be anywhere to get things done! Slept in until 6am, had a little breakfast and some coffee, watched the news and after I am done here, I will head out for a walk in the sunshine. Looks like it will be a beautiful sunny day, although still chilly.

Well, I guess you could say I kind of had a NSV last night...I mean, kind of...DH and I were talking yesterday about the cost of eating out and he bet me that I couldn't buy dinner for myself for under $5. A dinner with protein, fruit and/or vegetable and a drink. Also, it couldn't be something we bought at the store that had to be "prepared" in any way. So after grocery shopping we both went out and he bought dinner for himself at a gas station; sausage sandwich, a salad, and a bottled water. He came in a little over $6. I, of course, drove to BK and got a whopper, apple slices, and a cup of water. Just under $5. I win. Not the healthiest, and I am sure I will notice the calorie overload from the Whopper, but I did it for under $5. I did notice, that there are not a lot of healthy options for under $5. Even salads, to meet the criteria of protein added a couple bucks to the price of the salad (which is quite small for a whole dinner). Anyway...no more Whoppers for me. I won the bet, now, back to following my food plan.

Marcelyn - Beautiful family! Is that three families of kids? I was looking at them and trying to figure out which kids were sibs. This is what I came up with: The three dark haired ones in the middle (the oldest one in the back, the dark haired eight year old girl, and darling dark haired two year old boy) are one family, the blond haired girl on the left of the dark haired girl, the two year old girl in the blue dress in front of her, the six year old boy standing at the end of the second row in the lighter blue shirt, and the four year old boy in front of him, is another family, then the final eight year old girl on the right of the dark haired girl, the little girl in lavender in front of her, the four year old boy standing beside her, and the one year old in the last family. How close am I? It was fun trying to figure out whose sib is whose!

Pip- Good luck to Kirby and to you! Great goals! Is your "experiment" really running backwards on the treadmill? That would be risk taking for me. I am UBER clumsy! I would be the one in the video that faceplants trying to do that stuff on a treadmill!

Heather- Very scary stuff! I am glad it didn't happen again, but whoa! I am finding, now that I know that signs of heart problems for women are so different from men's heart symptoms, I pay more attention to all of the aches, flu like symptoms, and indigestion issues. It sure makes it hard to know for sure when you need help... So...who won the match? The guys in my house were busy with the March Madness Basketball finals. And yes, their brackets were just DESTROYED the past two days with the upsets from underdog teams. Our beloved Notre Dame DID beat Michigan, though!! RAH! DH has always been an ND fan, but I became one when DD went to college there.

Betty- Happy Birthday! Hope your day is/was wonderful and filled with people you love!

Kim- Do you have a local high school that has a pool open for open swim or lap swim? That is what I use! Less expensive than a membership at a local fitness club or Y. I think many schools open their pools to the public to help defray the cost of keeping them filled, clean, and heated.

Larisa- LOL! " fun time party bits..." Seriously funny!

Janet- Full fat or 4% fat cottage cheese and plain greek fat free yogurt are high in protein. There is 22g of protein in a cup of yogurt and 26g of protein in a cup of cottage cheese. Meats of course. Venison, chicken breast, pork tenderloin, and lean beef steak at the highest with 8g per ounce. Turkey, tuna, tilapia, salmon, shrimp, nitrate free deli chicken all run between 6 and 7g per ounce. One of my favorite "snacks" is celery wrapped in boarshead buffalo chicken slice, then dipped in Franks Red Hot sauce and a homemade blue cheese yogurt dip (just put about eight oz of crumbled blue cheese in a cup of yogurt and let it sit for a few hours for the flavor to blend/intensify). Hope some of this info helps. Getting enough protein has always been an issue for me as I am not a natural meat person. I still have to push myself on the meats.

Wow! This post is getting too long and the sun is up. Time to walk! Love and hugs to all that I missed! Welcome newbies!

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Yesterday was mostly wonderful. Hubby drove me to KC and we visited a couple dozen galleries and saw some amazing ceramics. One of my favorite shows is what's called the International Cone Box Show. The potters make tiny works that can fit inside a fairly small cardboard box that pyrometric cones come in. As a potter, I can tell you that making tiny stuff is even harder than making regular sized stuff, and the pieces selected for this show were amazing. One of my good friends from Joplin has had work accepted for that show twice now, so it was fun to see her work up there alongside well known potters from all over the world. And we also went to the gallery where our clay group was having our show. It was fun to see my work there too, with people looking at it. I thought I would be embarrassed, because it wasn't my best work, but it was fine. We walked over 13,000 steps yesterday, and had lunch in a great downtown market and deli. We also stopped at a Harbor Freight store and they had the compressor I wanted, so we bought it. Now I can try to find a place for it in the studio.

After we got home I got a long hateful, disgusting email from the soon-to-be ex wife. She spewed all linds of lies about my son and the kids, and blamed much of it on me. She did the same the last couple of times they broke up. Gee, I hope they don't get back together again after this. I'm starting to really hate this woman, and I don't hate very many people in this world. She truly needs mental health help. She's totally insane.

We walked so much yesterday that today I can hardly walk. I'm going to talk to my doctor on Monday to find out more about the injections she wants me to have in my hips and lower back. This is getting really bad.

I found a place in the settings on my ipad to turn off the idiot auto-correct and the auto-capitalization features which were bugging me, so now any mistakes are my own. We'll see how that goes.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sylvia

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Kimses- LOL! Hop along little bunny! Well, at least you will be warm?! Yes, please! Pictures a must!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,985 Member
    Options
    :) I have to go an "almost all day" meeting so I'm going to aim to get to 10,000 steps before I go and do my strong lifts when I get home after sitting all day.

<3 Barbie1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif
  • kmapb
    kmapb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. My name is Annette. So I joined Myfitnesspal close to 4 years ago....and didn't do much with it. Too much activities in my life, and not physical activity I might add. I'm done with my master's degree and have begun working on my prayer and bible study life. I now need to work on my body! Last summer I had a friend that I walked with and I lost 10 pounds. Once school started back in August and my friend started back her traveling nurse job, all physical activity stopped. Since December, I go to refit 2-3 times a week, but that is all the exercise I'm doing right now. I am not eating healthy. I am tired and sleepy more often than I'd like. So, as far as working on my physical body...I am basically at ground zero. I'm on my chromebook right now, but since I recently got a smartphone for the first time, I want to use it to help me use myfitnesspal better and more often.
  • mll58
    mll58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So, maybe it would improve my life to connect with a few folks...

I'm (darn.. how old am I? Old enough that I have to think about it... ) 57, short (5'1"), and trying to lose the 20 pounds that have crept on in the last few years.

Goals?
    * Stay around 1000 calories most days (I don't want to hear about it -- I have a very efficient metabolism and gain weight at 1200)
    * Get some kind of exercise at least 5 days a week (Depending on the weather, I bike, walk, do weights, swim, hike....)
    * Keep added sugar out of my diet -- THIS is the real bugaboo for me - While I generally eat fairly well, sweet things (chocolate, cookies, lollipops, chunks of brown sugar) will call my name until I pay attention.
    * Eat more protein -- For both ethical and health reasons, I really don't want to eat all that much meat, but I'm lactose intolerant. I never ever meet my daily goal (75 grams).

So now what?

Another Miriam
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,725 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

7:04am, gotta go to the gym - i was joking about running backwards on the treadmill, that would be stupid.
    later
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Glad the new ones are here... glad the seasoned ones are too... chilly morning in West Texas, s'posed to be in the 90s by middle of next week, and spring has definitely sprung: The male turkeys are all poofy and stabby and cranky, and all the females are swoopy and floofy and "tee hee!" these were maybe 30 yards away from the house, and he was just done fighting off a young male...

nkywp2mtla1j.jpg
    2xgzs3anh5pt.jpg

Regards,
    Lisa in Texas
  • joycepenman
    joycepenman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hi just joined this page so wanted to say hello to everyone....i am trying to lose weight for my health as i have underactive thyroid so it sure is a battle to lose the weight ....have lost a stone but some days feel i lose my motivation so any ideas is most welcome hope everyone has a lovely weekend x
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I hope your pain never reappears again. Could it have been acid reflux? That is something I've been plagued with throughout my life & my poor son inherited the problem from me. What is a rennie? Good luck to Merry Olde England in the rugby finals. :heart:

Silverstar: The sky photo is lovely! :bigsmile:

Sylvia: The soon to be ex wife seems to be a mess. I hope she stays out of your son's and DGC's lives in the future. I also hope that you are able to get relief from your lower back pain. :flowerforyou:

kmapb: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. I do all my logging on my smart phone, and I've never missed a day. Vsiting this group is easier on my computer. :flowerforyou:

It looks like we have a pretty day ahead. DS will be finishing the work he's been doing on his boat and getting it ready to sell, and I'll be a willing helper and "gofor." ( You know, go for this part, or that snack or. . . )

DS and DDIL will be picking up two rental trucks here in Oregon before they leave for their place in Washington. They'll load the trucks up and head east to the new job assignment on the other side of the country early next week. We will miss having them relatively near by.:cry:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    morning peeps -

7:04am, gotta go to the gym - i was joking about running backwards on the treadmill, that would be stupid.
    later

Aaaactually..... my trainer has people walk, not run, backwards on the treadmill when it is at a 6% incline. So you are walking uphill backwards. It is a super hard workout. Only for 30 seconds and then on to something else. Something I do is run on the treadmill without turning it on... you have to force the belt to move yourself, doing it at an incline also. It's like pushing a weighted sled.

Marcelyn