WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Thanks for the link on correct plank form! :flowerforyou:

CSSJ09: I was going to make the remark that jumping is not on my radar, and that is true for show jumping. In trail riding, however, there are occasions when you need to jump an obstacle. Although I am not exactly a gifted learner in physical challenges, I'm making progress. (But I'm not setting the world on fire. :ohwell: ) I'm having a very good time. I also love the smell of a healthy horse. :bigsmile: I've done a zip line, but no parachuting. It is not for me. No bodysuit flying, either. :noway: A hot air balloon ride is appealing. :smiley:

Allison: Your advice to Sylvia about lock changes makes good sense to me. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Enjoy holding your 7 pounder. Is your DH good at back & shoulder massage? This is a golden opportunity for him to help out. :wink:

Dr. Katie: I'm glad the Tamiflu is helping you feel better. (((hugs)))

msjanjan: Welcome to a great group!

Today is DGD's 5th birthday & we had a great facetime visit. She is making new friends in the neighborhood, and there might even be mom friends for DD.
    DS and DDIL are coming this weekend to finish reassembling his sailboat so that it can be shown to prospective buyers. This will likely be their last visit here for quite a while. They will be moving to the opposite side of the country very soon. I will miss them like crazy but we'll find time to visit now and then.
    :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi. TGIF.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pip - you MAY have mentioned you hate riding in the wind, but I was wondering, do you hate riding in the wind?

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    I CAN'T STAND IT janetr
  • janetr7476
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I CAN'T STAND IT janetr

Ahhh, I see, just wanted to clarify that. :)

Janetr OKC
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Msjan..I know exactly what your saying.I have a hard time getting into exercise and I know I need to. Even if it's just 2 days a week is better than nothing,, build up from there. I know when I do exercise I feel so much better! Just keep pushing through girl! We can do this! Add me as a friend if u like.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Kristan- Here is the squat challenge link. http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Printable-Squat-Challenge-31141646?utm_content=buffera6e95&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=buffer I will try them without modifications first. I may need to modify the narrow squat. It could be a knee problem for me.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather- Thanks! Congratulations on your name sake! It is so awesome that they honored you with Beatrice being named after you! You are in awesome grandma!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »

Beth- Holy crap! Talk about risk taking?! No novacaine for a root canal? That is so much braver than jumping from a plane!

Margaret and Michele- I don't think I could pray while planking. My prayer would devolve into some thing like "Dear Lord, please let me get through this plank" "Dear Lord, just one more minute" Dear Lord, when is the damn timer going to go off?"

!

KJ let me be very clear about my root canal ... There was no bravery on my part ... The dentist assured me that the root was dead and the shot would be worse then the root canal itself ... He was an idiot and I believed him.

Prayer while planking ... Reminded me of one of my first few sessions with my personal trainer. He had me lifting weights above my head ... One after another (now remember this was probably my first exercise in 20 years) and my arms were screaming! I kept thinking ... Please God let this be the last one ... And then, just after I thought for certain my arms were going to fall off, I cried in my head "please make him stop." And pronto, all the lights in the gym went out! We were evacuated outside and my trainer had to end the session. Later i shared with my trainer how I had received proof positive that God exists! He laughed so hard!

Beth
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Plus there is my zero tolerance about pain, (ever since my 25th anniversary gift to my husband of getting my nipples pierced, nice life story but alas my body kept rejecting the rings).

Becca
    Oregon

I had my bellybutton pierced after my husband left and my body rejected that too. I had never heard of such a thing, but as painful as it was the first time, I decided respecting my body's wishes was most appropriate!
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Kristan- Here is the squat challenge link. http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Printable-Squat-Challenge-31141646?utm_content=buffera6e95&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=buffer I will try them without modifications first. I may need to modify the narrow squat. It could be a knee problem for me.

This challenge looks good! I've done all but the squat with side lift, so I'll have to work on that one. I'll join you in April!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I CAN'T STAND IT janetr

Ahhh, I see, just wanted to clarify that. :)

Janetr OKC

did I mention I hate wind?
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Janetr ... Wait a minute.... You're saying Pip doesn't like riding in the wind?
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • janetr7476
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »

Well, Beth, I THINK that's what Pip is trying to say. Pip, do you not like riding in the wind?

Janetr OKC
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    So yesterday went okay until the end of the day. My daughters all brought their children over and we did a grandkid picture. Getting 11 to smile at the same time is a challenge but we managed. Some of them stayed for dinner and then my oldest daughter took her two kids (two that I'm watching) and headed home. Pulling out of the neighborhood she was broadsided by a red-light runner. It hit right on my grandson's door. So another daughter stayed put with the four I'm keeping overnight and her three and I spent my night at the emergency room and getting a car for my daughter to drive to work today. Everyone is okay but really really sore. Thankfully there was an eye-witness that said my daughter clearly had the green light but I'm sure it will be an insurance fight all the same. I got back home about 1 am. I'm tired today but the kids are all chipper, of course. lol going to head out to walk and let them ride bikes. They rode about six miles yesterday so they slept well last night. Tonight my husband will be home so I won't be on my own. yeah! Three days to go....
  • pipcd34
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    bwcetc wrote: »

Well, Beth, I THINK that's what Pip is trying to say. Pip, do you not like riding in the wind?

Janetr OKC

roflmfao !

uhhh, me and wind on bikey, no likie
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    CSSJ09. New tattoo will be on my thigh. Will take two 3 to 4 hour sessions to finish. Excited about it. Now have to cone up with the cash. Lol

I hear that! Tattoos aren't cheap. :) My big tattoo starts on my thigh and goes up to my hip bone. It took three, four hour sessions, and needs a couple hours of touch ups. Once I get my weight back down and my cash flow back up, I'm going to get it extended further onto my hip and maybe rear, maybe side (it's a phoenix and we're going to add tail feathers, so not quite sure where they will take us, yet).

I really like the design you're planning to get!

Larisa

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Anne from Wisconsin – I usually make mine with venison – last night was an exception; made it with ground chuck, refrigerated it and then skimmed of the grease before heating it back up. I bet I had a cup of grease on it and took every bit of it out. I have not made spaghetti with turkey; but, I do have a white chili that I want to make that calls for ground turkey/chicken.

I had an Olive Garden (to go) salad with dressing which is only 140 calories at lunch today. If I cut the Firehouse New York Reuben in half for supper and my protein bar for a snack with my coffee for a snack, I won’t be over my caloric intake. I’m trying to incorporate some ‘real’ food into my daily caloric intake.

Was a little upset that when I went for my cystoscopy today it did not look like I had lost any weight from my last weigh-in session which was up in February by 6 lbs. I’ve been walking most days for 40 minutes which is 30 minutes over what I had been doing on the treadmill and goes by faster.

Heather UK – Beatrice has to be one of the prettiest babies other than my own. LOL! Truly beautiful. Your other grandchildren as darling, too.

Lhannon – I’m named for both of my great-grandmothers; Nancy Lenora – my Daddy’s mom got upset because they would not name me “Tallulah Autamia”; Tallulah being her name: Lola Tallulah; the fact that I was being called by ‘her’ mother’s name wasn’t good enough. But, my Mother could never do anything right in her eyes; since she married her ‘oldest’ son. I don’t think anybody would have been good enough. But a man from a ‘farming family’ marrying a ‘city military’ woman really upset her. I don’t understand why people name their children names that will one day present a problem for them. OGD’s half-sister is “Reilly Smelliey” (pronounced “Smelly”); but, OGD says she is ‘mean as the devil’ and won’t take anybody messing with her about her name. I sure hope so. Another friend from Brownie/Girl Scout camp was name "Crystal Fountain".

Larisa in Seattle – Diving was something my boss got me into. He represented a Dive Shop when the owner told divers NOT to go into the cave in the Springs where it was located. It had a grate over it and they still got inside; only one made it out. Man in town was a cave diver and a rescue diver, he went in and got the other ‘dead’ one. He has ‘mapped’ Radium Springs out over several years. He won’t dive in the ocean because he says there are ‘things’ that will eat you down there. LOL! Boss gave me and my husband all the dive gear we wanted … that is how he got paid, in ‘diving equipment’ and ‘lessons’. I’d love to go zip lining, don’t want a tattoo. Yeah, sex is a good thing.

Beth – I once went to a PsycheMD who had to be double-billing. When my DH called him to tell him that I had been in a very, very bad wreck; he would not see me again. It was my fault as well (wreck was). I had what I thought was a clear view and passed a car as a man turned out of a dealership with his new car. Four more inches over, we’d both be dead. I was trapped in my car and being ‘cut’ out of it and the jaws of life being used, was scarier than anything I’ve been through prior or since. But, I wasn't where I thought I was when I had the wreck; and, I was on my way home and not on the way to where I had been going that day. I don't remember to much about wreck and MD told me that I might never remember it. Since I have had problems with 'short-term' memory; but, I can remember everything prior to this wreck. I don't remember 'hurting' although the front of the GMC was right outside my windshield. I tried joking with the fireman who was holding my hand while the firemen were cutting me out. He asked what remembered about the wreck; I should have never said, I guess I was trying to kill myself. When they go me stable as a small hospital, they transferred me to a larger one; nurse was a neighbor of mine and asked the neighbor/friend 'if' I ever tried killing myself. I did not do this in this wreck; I just made a stupid remark to the wrong person. I could not remember my DH's name, where we lived, if my DOGD had been in the car with me ... the found her seat in the front seat (nobody in it). They spend some time looking for her. All I could remember was the first name of my neighbor/friend and that her husband was a 'county commissioner' and they lived in the suburb known as "Lake Park". The nurse knew who she was talking about and called her. She called DH.

I got my hearing checked once, was told I did not need hearing aids; but, audiologist charged insurance for $2,000 – I reported him, too. BC/BS got their money back. I always check my EOB’s and also check credit card receipts against my bills. I have had to dispute several charges. Got charged twice for $70.88 of gas by the same company. Pump would not take my card, so I was told to come inside. Then she pushed it through and gave me a receipt. My dispute was ‘why would I buy the same amount of gas on the same day at the same station within minutes of one another’? It got credited back to my account the next month.

Michele in NC – THANKS! This year I’ll be 65! Sister just turned 71; middle sister will be 68 next month. Mother was the only one not born in March or April, until oldest sister married a man with an October birthday. We used to forget hers before sister got married. Both me and my middle sister married men with their birthdays in the same month (November).

Sylvia – I ‘assume’ this was the ‘horrible’ DnL that y’all went for custody of your grandchildren with your son. I hope she did not come back, thinking if she left again, she’d have another chance at getting the kids again. Why would he have taken her back in the first place? DDnL#1 gets really mad, really easy; she has grabbed the girls and spun out of the driveway before. Last time she did that the 15 year old would not go with her; and DOS told her she could not take the youngest one. She needed to calm down, because he was not going to let her take them ‘in a huff’. She’s driven 80mph down the dirt road we live on, when the speed is 25mph. She finally came home after 11:00pm. She’s done it several times. DYS says that if it was him, she’d find her $#*T out in the yard and the locks changed. Thankfully his wife is nothing like her. They talk out any issues they might have. He helped her with Fall cleaning and she had saved every container she bought something in … he threw most of them away; and, then bought her a set of ‘proper’ containers. He told her she did not need to save them. She is very frugal and told him that she used them for lunches for daughter. She could not understand why he’d throw them out. I do, because sometimes I have forgotten what I put in them in the freezer. I’m getting better about doing it now. Sometimes we’ve had ‘surprise’ suppers. DH says that when we go on our ‘date night’ this weekend we will go by Lowe’s and check on a ‘door’ for our glassed-in porch off our MBR. Electricians come one day next week for doing a little stuff that needs someone that knows what they are doing. Says that maybe DDnL#1’s BnL can come and help us do the rest (put up insulation and do the walls. I just hope that ‘if’ he uses him, that he will finish in a day. When he built our house, he’d work about ½ a day and go home. The carpenter that DH used to use has died; so that is the reason we won’t be getting him.

CJ – Friend of mine’s husband is in the crop dusting business and they also have a second bigger plane they use to go other places. She got her flying license because she wanted to be able to land the plane if anything ever happened to him in flight.

Drkatiebug – When I had a really bad cough, GP put me on Tesselon pearls (they usually help me); but, the last time 3 weeks of them did not ‘touch’ the coughing. Went to my lung MD and he put me on Prednisone and within 2 or 3 days I was no longer ‘coughing.

Becca – Every time I see ‘nipples’ pierced my stomach lurches. Noses are the next thing; belly buttons the next; and piercings all the way up the ear (been told that it hurts more the further up they go). Got my ears pierced (by MD) when I was 16 – had to wear ‘surgical wire’ twisted in them until they healed enough to put in earrings. The 2nd piercing I got done as an adult. Don’t ever wear dangling earrings while nursing a baby. DYS almost pulled one of my out. Now wear those little ‘sticky circles’ so they will both hang straight. Just have to remember to wash them off after 3 days – they don’t let your ear breath and can get pretty funky.

Lenora
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - (((((HUGS))))) You are going above and beyond! Right into the stratosphere. :flowerforyou: <3

I tried a self invented recipe today. We had smoked haddock (colouring free) with a cauliflower puree. I used the juices from the haddock, which I baked in aluminium foil, along with some half fat creme fraiche to make the puree. DH said it was inspired! ! With a huge heap of broccoli I came in at 220 calories. :noway: I did sautéed potatoes for DH who needs the calories. <3

Rubbish on TV tonight. Will have to find a film.

Love Heather UK