WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Janetr, you are so right. It is DJ that has the wicked boot kick. I am so sorry Katla. The only thing your boot gets is when you say giddy up to your horse.. Or whatever you say to get him/her say.

Sylvia, so glad you posted. WOW, your son is having his share of problems. Some how I doubt you have seen the last of her though. Sure feel sorry for those kids.

Had a wonderful leftover meatloaf dinner. Charlie didn't like it that much so that means those last 2 pieces will make 4 sandwiches. He is becoming more and more isolated in this house. Hardly ever changes out of his housecoat.

Joyce, Indiana
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options

This is my first tattoo right after it was done so looks a little rough.

Anne from Wisconsin
    That's gorgeous, Anne! I love the shading. And you're just about as pale as I am :lol:

Larisa in Seattle
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Beth root canal no novocain think that counts. Lol. I want Xanax to even show up. Braver than I am.

Anne from Wisconsin

Yes, Beth, root canals are no joke! :fearful:
    Larisa
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that having a root canal without novocaine when there is a live root is no picnic ... I had never felt pain like that before and hope I never do again.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Root canal with Novocain is no picnic either!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Janetr, you are so right. It is DJ that has the wicked boot kick. I am so sorry Katla. The only thing your boot gets is when you say giddy up to your horse.. Or whatever you say to get him/her say.
    Joyce, Indiana

Whew! I was worried there for a while. Thanks for letting me off of the hook. As to the horse, I click my tongue to trot, make kissing noises to speed up to a canter, and I say whoa to stop. I usually have a dry mouth so kissing noises are not my best skill. If I want to get better at cantering, I'll need to get better at kissing noises. Who would have guessed? :noway: :ohwell:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    Michele like the idea of prayer while doing a plank.

Beth Ouch! I have had cavities filled without Novocain but not a root canal.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    Why u shouldn't clasp your hands when u plank

http://www.ksbodyshop.com/prone-plank-exercise-common-training-errors/
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Oh Sylvia, you just have your plate full. I'm so proud of you for just wading thru it all. I hope all works out now for your DS and the kids. I would so LOVE to go with you and see the pottery in the galleries and especially see your work on display. That sounds like such a wonderful day. If I could get to KC in just a couple of hours I'd do just that, but its too far. Have fun and enjoy. Any pics you could take and share would be lovely.

Janetr OKC

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I love you ladies and just wanted to say once again THANKS for seeing me thru. I've got it under control tonight. I plan to GO TO BED when I get tired instead of raiding the kitchen.

Janetr OKC
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to all, Irish or not. It is hard to believe that this was once a very solemn saint's day commemorating the death of St. Patrick. y6xqbvs6sk4c.jpg

Carol in NC KJLaMore and Katla Old ladies vide a, ladies of the evening, and "big breasts" Dr. Google searches. I have been chuckling.

Mary Thank you so much for the kettle bell help. I got on the web site you recommended and bought a kettle bell. Unfortunately, not before I found out that it is the wrong exercise. I had to go to the orthopedist yesterday because I have been experiencing excruciating pain in my knee, shin and ankle so bad that it wakes me up. I it also especially bad when I sit cross-legged or with the leg under me. After hours there (new patient paper work, and X-rays head to toe) and treatment ( ouch) the verdict is arthritis in the knee. No impact and nothing requiring squats permitted. As for my bilateral elbow pain- swinging weights is not recommended until I see a rheumatologist. He thinks I have RA. rats.

Connie Your daughter’s pet portraits are so original. What talent.

Sue and Katla First of all, Sue- I hope the Prednisone works and you don’t have to use stronger stuff. Katla- I am glad you are able to get a different Fosomax formulation. Thinking that riding would be first on the forbidden list, I snuck in a last ride yesterday morning. I am sure that both of you understand. As it turns out, horseback riding is the perfect exercise. No impact and it stretches the ankles and heels. For those who ride English - Another reason for heels down. Also excellent are walking, yoga and Pilates. Who knows, I may join the Pilates on horseback class at some point when I get good enough. Now that I am getting ready for jumping and much faster speeds, I think I better dig our my Tipperary (see-Irish Terri I knew I could add something Irish) vest. By the way Sue, my girls got pretty rammy this time of year also. As far as getting rid of hair on muddy horses, better before the bath than after. We used to have to put full body Sleazies on the POA and Arab mares as soon as they had baths before shows or we would have to completely bathe them again just before loading on the trailer. Nothing like a mud bath to get rid of all the clean! I love grooming. If I could bottle the smell of horses, I would.

Michele in NC No driving- I am not sure I could do it. I do put the car away in good weather and over the summer and only use the bike or my feet around town (small town I should say) . However, the hills nearby and lack of decent shoulder on the main roads preclude riding anywhere but town. The very best of luck. We have free bus service in town, but it only stays in the town limits. We also have no taxi service. Do you have Uber or Lyft where you are? Friends of mine who do not drive say that this has been the very best thing ever to happen.
    Star magnolias are lovely. They take up much less room than the magnolias that most of us are familiar with. I have one in my backyard in a corner, unfortunately hidden away. Check out the Magnolia Society http://www.magnoliasociety.org/home

I don’t remember who asked about the snakes- there have been no snakes in Ireland since the Ice Age. However, evidently they are a metaphor for the unconverted. Another tidbit – Corned beef and cabbage was not an Irish dish in Ireland. The Irish immigrants learned to cook this from their Eastern European Jewish neighbors who salted (corned) the meat. It was very cheap. And in the 1800s, in the US, blue was the color for the St. Patrick’s society. Heaven knows where I pick this stuff up.

Margaret – All we can do is our best. And you have so much to deal with. I had to cut off all contact with a relative because of addiction issues. It really hurt but I had to take care of myself. And you have a very ill husband who must take priority. Both of you. To try the app Calm. It really works. The sound in the background when I get stressed is so soothing.

Larissa I get dizzy just looking at the picture of you on the zip line. You are one brave woman. And KJL and Katla – parachuting? I was not made to be a Ranger, Marine or Frogman.
    I did fly small planes, but as an engineer, I was never afraid. One time my DH (a commercial pilot) and I were flying and we had a tire blow out on landing. The tower saw it and I could hear the controllers ordering emergency equipment. He kept it on one wheel all the way down the strip and then taxied just fine. I had the radio. He never did remember anything to tell the accident folks after all was secured. Talk about automatic pilot. The only time I was ever scared was during the air traffic controllers’ strike and someone in the tower got my side number mixed up with another plane as I was on final in a training flight. The instructor radioed the tower and gave him what for.
    The windshield blew out of an Aeroflot I was on about 30 years ago. And this was an equipment change for the Eastern European airline plane that was scheduled to fly the route. I guess that the Soviet Bloc countries had agreements about replacements if available. It was a converted military plane. The bombardier bay (glass enclosed) was still on the bottom of the plane. It sort of defines dual use. This actually was fairly common in Eastern Europe before the wall came down. What was crazy was that the announcement told us we had to land several hours early because of too much traffic at our destination. Of course the safety equipment was a joke. Only about half the masks deployed. Which makes one wonder why we needed masks if this was due to traffic. It was clear on the way down that this was an emergency landing. And people had been smoking all through the plane. That was one h---ll of a pilot. We landed safely. We were never told what happened but as I was in first class (another joke) I could see the front of the plane when I got out and the hole where glass was supposed to have been. The worst part of the trip was getting stuck in an airport waiting for a replacement plane to be flown to western Europe. And naturally, Aeroflot just left us on our own to find a place to settle, find food. Only those of us with western currency could buy anything. We couldn’t even try to get on another airline. 2 days before Christmas and nothing was available even if another airline would have accepted the ticket.
    My only trip to Ireland was a stop when the plane I was on had an engine fire over the Atlantic. Smoke in a plane is not fun. Another amazing pilot. He actually came to each group and spoke to us in groups as after landing and before we left our seats. By then, everything was ok. Our main prayer when we finally got in the airport was that there would be nothing on the news. No such luck. There it was on the crawler when we landed. At least it was still the middle of the night back in the US so no one knew yet.

walk2health4me What a gorgeous picture. Welcome back.

Marcelyn I am impressed with all you are doing with all those little ones with no help. How did the mothers do it in the past- huge families, no modern conveniences?

Joyce It is so good that you do not need a root canal.

Pip you are SOOOOOO BAAAAD

Heather What an honor! Beatrice Heather Molly She loves her grandmommy already. I love the look on your face. Pure heaven. As for the naked tea time- it beats washing dirty clothes. Maybe she can join Becca’s happy nudist.

Sylvia You are one superwoman. I hope that the soon to be ex stays ex for the kids sake. I am glad that you are going to a ceramics conference and galleries. Art is always good for the soul.

I was really hurting yesterday after the doctor. I could barely make it through dinner and was in bed by 9 and slept in. I still hurt today but he said go exercise. Today - personal best- 10.5 minutes per mile for 6 miles.
    Boy am I a blabbermouth today. Yikes.
    CJ
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    CJ- I do it to ward off and fight RA. That's also why I weight lift. You might want to read strong women stay young.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,806 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Sylvia~ thank goodness .. was getting extremely worried.. so sorry you are going through such a rough patch..your son doesn't need all this right now.. maybe now is the time to get someone in to clean the house, and maybe ask the super to change locks on door so crazy wife can't come back.
    im up and dressed and ready for the gym, have stuff in the dryer and will meditate and have a cup of tea before I go.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, happy friday! The days are whipping along with work and school and sicknesses galore! Looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow with absolutlely nothing to do unless i want to do....i will regroup and rethink and renew myself this coming week, that is my intention, just putting it out there.
    Let's be good to ourselves today o:)
    Karen from ny
  • CSSJ09
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    CJ- I do it to ward off and fight RA. That's also why I weight lift. You might want to read strong women stay young.

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Thanks. I will see if it is in the library.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I am so glad you are okay. I was really worried about you.

Janet, I am in OKC. Ten hour drive, but it was lovely watching spring "come" as I drove south. This morning it looks like my sister is taking my girls shopping with their cousin (female- the male one doesn't want to participate). I am going to try to hit a shoe store for sandals for my girls (figure there is more to select from down south- Iowa has snow predicted today but it is already sandal weather here). I will message you my phone number.

For all the rest of you, you are all in my thoughts daily. I have been telling my sister about some of you and how supportive being here is. She says I look "Great!" so being here in our Phat Chat is helping!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! Doing the Friday Dance!!! I have a full house today; so I am trying to psyche myself up for the extra noise and activity. I had a two year old and a six month old until 8:30 last night (mom is a teacher and had conferences and dad is a track coach for local college and is out of town for meets/tournaments). They were happy and very talkative/busy while they were here. When mama came to pick up; the two year old went into the end-of-night-before-bedtime burst of energy and temper tantrum. "I don't want to go home!" Inside my head I was saying "Little child of the corn, it's time for you to go." He will be here in a half hour. Let's see if he's happy to be here earlier than normal. Nice morning for a walk; a little chilly (back down into the 30's). I planked, but skipped my strength training.

Kristan-I will try to find the link to the squat challenge. I just looked up "30 squat challenge" to find it and a bazillion came up, but not the one I am doing. I found it on Pinterest; so when I log on I will find it and post it on here. I don't remember seeing weights with them, but it would be easy to add weights. I may have to, to get a decent work out.

To all the buttless ones- I do not suffer from absence of glute. In fact, it seems to be one of my "magnet" areas for weight gain. Much to my despair and my hubby's joy. It appears I married an "*kitten* man". (Take that however you want)

Anne and Larisa - Beautiful tattoos! I haven't gotten one yet. I have had a couple of ideas for tats rolling in my head for years, but they are smaller than your's Anne. Where are you thinking of getting the new one placed? I love the latin Larisa! My son has a favorite latin phrase and we had it put on his grad cake and on a pocket watch for him. Sic Parvis Magna- From small beginnings, greatness. I was touched that he chose this as his motto for two reasons; he was a slow starter, diagnosed with borderline autism as a child. He went from not speaking at all due to speech issues to holding the role of Raoul in the school's performance of Phantom of the Opera (speech and anxiety issue resolved). Then also the fact that he started out so small as a baby and grew to a gigantic 6'5! Just thought his choice of phrase especially fitting for him. I am sure you chose your phrase/tattoo for the special meaning it had for you.

Beth- Holy crap! Talk about risk taking?! No novacaine for a root canal? That is so much braver than jumping from a plane!

Sylvia- Happy to see you! I hope this is IT for your son and his ex. I think changing the locks is a wise choice. She sounds like a violent and angry person. Hope you find the compressor you want!

Karen- Enjoy your extra rest time! I needed a couple of those Saturdays when I had the crud. This will be my first full throttle weekend since being sick (fingers crossed).

CJ- YOU FLY! You are a pilot! Again, the ladies of this page continue to amaze and thrill me with their adventures and skills! I feel humbled to be a part of this group! I was thinking the same thing about St. Patrick's day yesterday. I believe it is still a celebrated "holy" day in Ireland. I was thinking that probably the only Holiday that American's celebrate that still is celebrated the way it was intended to be is probably Thanksgiving. It seems every other holiday in America has become a reason to party. Fun; but sometimes irreverent and sad when you think about it. Don't even get me started on Memorial Day and Labor Day!

Pip- I can count on you to keep me laughing! Thanks for the info on the plank. I do keep my hands close to eachother, though not clasped. Funny how the smallest change can effect things!

Margaret and Michele- I don't think I could pray while planking. My prayer would devolve into some thing like "Dear Lord, please let me get through this plank" "Dear Lord, just one more minute" Dear Lord, when is the damn timer going to go off?"

Becca- LOL! I can just see you serving and juggling! You are a dynamo!

Heather- What a wonderful day for you! I love the "naked tea" idea! Clothing optional...Some how this is okay for small children but frowned upon for grown ups! Same goes for the cute rolls of fat on babies bodies and then putting them in leggings. Cute for babies, not so much for grown women. That is a double standard if I ever saw one! Safe travels back home!

Day has started. I have been making breakfast, feeding, and cleaning up as I have been replying. Time to fly... Love and hugs to everyone!
  • CSSJ09
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! Doing the Friday Dance!!! I have a full house today; so I am trying to psyche myself up for the extra noise and activity. I had a two year old and a six month old until 8:30 last night (mom is a teacher and had conferences and dad is a track coach for local college and is out of town for meets/tournaments). They were happy and very talkative/busy while they were here. When mama came to pick up; the two year old went into the end-of-night-before-bedtime burst of energy and temper tantrum. "I don't want to go home!" Inside my head I was saying "Little child of the corn, it's time for you to go." He will be here in a half hour. Let's see if he's happy to be here earlier than normal. Nice morning for a walk; a little chilly (back down into the 30's). I planked, but skipped my strength training.

Kristan-I will try to find the link to the squat challenge. I just looked up "30 squat challenge" to find it and a bazillion came up, but not the one I am doing. I found it on Pinterest; so when I log on I will find it and post it on here. I don't remember seeing weights with them, but it would be easy to add weights. I may have to, to get a decent work out.

To all the buttless ones- I do not suffer from absence of glute. In fact, it seems to be one of my "magnet" areas for weight gain. Much to my despair and my hubby's joy. It appears I married an "*kitten* man". (Take that however you want)

Anne and Larisa - Beautiful tattoos! I haven't gotten one yet. I have had a couple of ideas for tats rolling in my head for years, but they are smaller than your's Anne. Where are you thinking of getting the new one placed? I love the latin Larisa! My son has a favorite latin phrase and we had it put on his grad cake and on a pocket watch for him. Sic Parvis Magna- From small beginnings, greatness. I was touched that he chose this as his motto for two reasons; he was a slow starter, diagnosed with borderline autism as a child. He went from not speaking at all due to speech issues to holding the role of Raoul in the school's performance of Phantom of the Opera (speech and anxiety issue resolved). Then also the fact that he started out so small as a baby and grew to a gigantic 6'5! Just thought his choice of phrase especially fitting for him. I am sure you chose your phrase/tattoo for the special meaning it had for you.

Beth- Holy crap! Talk about risk taking?! No novacaine for a root canal? That is so much braver than jumping from a plane!

Sylvia- Happy to see you! I hope this is IT for your son and his ex. I think changing the locks is a wise choice. She sounds like a violent and angry person. Hope you find the compressor you want!

Karen- Enjoy your extra rest time! I needed a couple of those Saturdays when I had the crud. This will be my first full throttle weekend since being sick (fingers crossed).

CJ- YOU FLY! You are a pilot! Again, the ladies of this page continue to amaze and thrill me with their adventures and skills! I feel humbled to be a part of this group! I was thinking the same thing about St. Patrick's day yesterday. I believe it is still a celebrated "holy" day in Ireland. I was thinking that probably the only Holiday that American's celebrate that still is celebrated the way it was intended to be is probably Thanksgiving. It seems every other holiday in America has become a reason to party. Fun; but sometimes irreverent and sad when you think about it. Don't even get me started on Memorial Day and Labor Day!

Pip- I can count on you to keep me laughing! Thanks for the info on the plank. I do keep my hands close to eachother, though not clasped. Funny how the smallest change can effect things!

Margaret and Michele- I don't think I could pray while planking. My prayer would devolve into some thing like "Dear Lord, please let me get through this plank" "Dear Lord, just one more minute" Dear Lord, when is the damn timer going to go off?"

Becca- LOL! I can just see you serving and juggling! You are a dynamo!

Heather- What a wonderful day for you! I love the "naked tea" idea! Clothing optional...Some how this is okay for small children but frowned upon for grown ups! Same goes for the cute rolls of fat on babies bodies and then putting them in leggings. Cute for babies, not so much for grown women. That is a double standard if I ever saw one! Safe travels back home!

Day has started. I have been making breakfast, feeding, and cleaning up as I have been replying. Time to fly... Love and hugs to everyone!

Correction. Used to fly. No more DH airplane leasing business and access to free planes. The entire private flying world has changed. Many happy memories but not sure I would want to do it now.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    Boy, was I stiff this morning! Holding a 7 pounder exercises muscles you didn't know you had!
    I was so touched by them giving the baby my name as a second name. <3<3<3 I really was shocked, honoured and humbled. I've never thought of myself as the kind of person anyone would want to name someone after. I've always thought of myself as setting a bad example, though I have tried very hard to be a good Granny. Making up for being a not particularly good mother. :laugh:
    DS was feeling the strain of not getting much sleep for days, so we were delighted to be there to give him the chance to crash out. DDIL looked good when we arrived, but was tired and in pain by the evening. I told them when we left that they could phone us any time and we would come up. A lot falls on DS's shoulders. Next week we are going up for Wednesday and Thursday. DS is working from home those days.
    The following week we are there most of the week as it's the school holidays and DS 's new job starts. After that DDIL has engaged some paid, live in help for a few days a week for a while. Expensive, but with DS in a new, intensive job with a commute, and her still recovering from the C section, I think it's a wise investment.

Had sushi for lunch with the family and sushi for dinner on the train. <3 DH had a ham sandwich for lunch and a pork pie and custard tart for dinner. :laugh:

Love to all, Heather UK