WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: I have had one root canal, & it was long ago. My root canal was done after regular business hours by our dentist, who was a personal friend. DH was his "lovely Dental Assistant." I felt better instantly. I hope you have instant pain relief, too. :heart:

JazzyPDX: It sounds like you are off to a very good start. Congratulations! :smiley:

Gloria: I didn't notice unusual wind here but we live in a place that is frequently windy. I think it was worse at the coast. Right now there seems to be a gale warning at the coast. I hope people are staying safe there. We have a beautiful sunrise this morning. :flowerforyou:

(((Alison)))

KJLaMore: Base Jumping with wing-suits is my Big Bad Wolf of risky behavior! You are a bigger risk taker than I'll ever be, even in my fantasies. :noway:

Barbie: I love the Saint Patrick's Day cartoon! :heart: :heart: :heart: Regarding the counter reset, do you have to know your anniversary date to get things back? :huh:

Margaret: I'm glad to hear that your husband's treatment for kidney cancer is showing successes. I'll keep him in my prayers. You and your son are in my prayers, too. :heart:

In my teaching days I brought lots of green things to share with kids on Saint Patricks's Day. Mardi-Gras beads were the best, but green hairspray was better than nothing. In some ways, Middle School is the Wild, wild, west. I was transferred there from elementary school during a budget crisis but eventually fell in love with middle schoolers. My first year at Middle School was hideous, though. Trial by fire is a good description. :devil: :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Marcelyn - Wonderful job! Be very proud of yourself!

Kim - Gorgeous tulips! What a show. Our crocuses are looking good at the moment. <3

Off to London today! <3<3<3<3<3

Heather UK

Have a wonderful time. Soak up alll the cuddling and loving you can get. They grow up so quickly. Lovin the pictures.

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,680 Member
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Happy St. Patties Day, Ladies, st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kimses, good going to set limits on your lunch time at work. I actually enjoyed
    lunching alone at work once in a while.

Katla, it so true that each state has it's own rules and regulations about
    "everything". If you move around a lot you get such an education, not to
    mention "hasstle".

Kay, at least it's a mild case of the flu. Heal quickly. (((Hugs)))

VickiNE, hope you are back out of your funk soon. Sometimes we just go there.
    (((Hugs)))

Meg, glad the pain is better. You have me laffing about you looking like Pip's
    black lab but I want to know why you have your tongue hanging out?

Heather, it is absolutely crazy in the US that people always bring the worst
    foods to any event for snacking. And many will sit and complain about it as
    they stuff their mouths.

fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Sugardarlin- is your name Connie? I wasn't sure because of the writing before
    it. Anyhow, great eating and exercise goals. What type of weightlifting do you
    do?
    Mary from Minnesota
    Mary, that is why I harp so much on people signing each post so it is easier for
    us to respond to them. I often want to respond to someone but don't have a
    normal name to use so just don't respond. Thank you and all those that are so
    good about signing their posts.

Joyce, so sorry for Charlie and you on the nightly problems not to mention the
    daytime troubles as well.

Beth, when we read Spanish as spinach, you can tell your mind is on "food". LOL

Kim, the picture of you is great!!! And the flowers are beautiful but make me sneeze just looking at them.

Marcelyn, it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. All that activity may help with a pound or two, who knows? Great idea to get the kids to do an exercise video to use up some of their energy.

Irish Terri, a special Happy St Patty’s Day to you.

Sue, wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Good for you on those steps!!!

micheleNC, that is great the you don’t have to buy a whole new pump.

Kristan, congrats on the butt. My DH told me that mine is gone but I still have enough to look okay in clothes so I won’t worry about it.

welcome.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

DH cancelled our outing this morning so he could do some yard work. So I’ve caught up with you ladies a little. Time to get moving so I’ll be ready for my meeting this afternoon. Hopefully I’ll have time to check in a bit more later today. This morning I vacuumed the downstairs to help control pollen. We keep the windows closed but taking the dog in and out still lets enough in. The one good thing is that the carpet gets vacuumed more often this time of year. I’m loving all the pictures so keep ‘em commin’.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    megblair1 - We live in a small town near Austin. We moved here from Austin last May.

Kim - Oh, my gosh, the tulips around that back entrance are so beautiful! And the white wisteria too - bet it smells amazing. That would be such a cheery scene to see every time one left the house! I'm excited to see that the former owner of our house planted purple iris out front and it's getting ready to bloom.

Kristan - Congratulations on filling out those jeans! I always had a substantial butt and never dreamed that one day I'd wish for it back, but it's gotten pretty flat with age. Guess I need to do more squats too! I did spend some time yesterday setting up the Bowflex machine, so that's a step in the right direction.

barbiecat - Thank you for sharing the St. Patrick cartoon. So cute!

I want to thank whoever recommended the book "Presence" by Amy Cuddy. I just got it from the library and I can already tell it's going to speak to me profoundly.

We're going to the renaissance festival tomorrow so we'll get in lots of walking. The only challenge is to make sure food and beer don't cancel it all out!

Our local brewpub is promising free green beer tonight for those who visit all of the shops in our monthly downtown stroll. I'm pretty sure that's a crime against beer. Anyway, here's a link to an interesting article about the history of St. Patrick's Day, for those who are interested: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/03/090316-st-patricks-day-facts.html

I'll leave you all with my favorite ditty for Saint Patrick's Day: May the roof above you never fall in, and the friends below it never fall out.

-Yvonne in TX
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Kimses I hear ya with the " you're being so good". When I was at my daughters in Denver last month, we ate every meal out. So at breakfast I'd order egg whites, fresh fruit, chicken sausage link. She'd say oh that sounds so healthy. Then proceed to order a big "skillet" breakfast of some sort. She now has started eating low carb meals and going to water aerobics after work and has lost 4#. She also quit smoking in December. She had to have foot surgery in January and the surgeon would not do it if she was smoking. So she's on the right path. I told her Im so proud of her.

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Margaret - Great news about your DH and responding to his cancer treatment. Hopefully your DS will get the treatment that he needs so he can be successful and your stress levels go down. We will continue to keep you in our prayers!(((hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy St. Patrick's day!

Yes, the snacks at work situation is pretty bad. There is always a table in my office with cookies, snack bars, chocolate, etc. The only thing I cannot resist is chocolate, but I only take one piece and not every day. One person brings in most of the snacks and it is all kept on a table in the center of the room. Of course I work in a building that was put up in the Great Depression and there is a rodent problem here. Yesterday I saw a fuzzy shadow and now I am the guardian of a mouse trap. Wouldja think that the person who brings snacks in and hates mice would think to at least keep the snacks in a metal tin? Of course not!!! Oh well...

Tomorrow I get to enter a new age number into the elliptical machine. Found a new digital scale at the Y that seems to be more accurate than the one at work so there's a chance that I might risk a dessert after being good all week.

Lovin' all the pix of babies and tulips -- and hugs to the people with sick relatives and personal health problems!

Betty
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,791 Member
    Options
    I am worried about Sylvia~ has anyone heard from her? I know she has been hospitalized a few times, and has had alot of issues with her Son... anyone heard from her?
    I didnt get to the gym again!!! I did feed DFIL and went to see my dad,he is a bit overwhelmed with all the accumulation of stuff in his house.. and he knows I have an eye on what is good(not to throw out) and what is trash so on the weekends I am not working from now until Tal and Tracy and Kyle get here I will be howing out the bedrooms. my dad will be 89 in October, my son lives with him and does just a little bit around the house ,but basically sits on his butt when there watching T.V and playing video games.. no real sense of reality..
  • janetr7476
    Options
    I did NOT fall off the healthy eating wagon last night (actually wee hours of this morning) I jumped head first into a quagmire that sucked me under. I made my way to the kitchen and literally searched cupboards and fridge eating as I went. My old, ever present, addiction reared its ugly head. I belive this to be the worst episode since my bariatric surgery. I could give a long list of mitigating circumstances/stresses that I'm presently dealing with, but the reality of it is that it's called life. We all have it and face it everyday. I'm over the self flogging and moving on this morning as planned. But physically feeling a bit drained and wobbly.

Thanks for listening and being here to encourage me forwad. Today is my cardio day so I'll walk on the treadmill.

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Happy St Patrick's Day!

Janetr - you are so right that happens to all of us occasionally! It's great that you are going on as planned today. I know when I do something like that I feel sick as well. I hope you feel better today.

Stronglifts Rest Day

10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

GobletSquat- 3X7X25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 34X15X25 = 510

Day 17 Challenge Total = 6,580

Swimming freestyle - 45 minutes

Walking Challenge- 5 miles

I assumed that it would get easier as the days went on. Man, was I mistaking! Possibly I felt fatigued because I went swimming first. All I know is that I am glad I am done. I will be traveling for the next two days so I will be bringing my kettle bell with and I will have to do Stronglifts when I get home.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Larisa- Soul Sister! Have you done any flying? So far my flying is limited to parasailing a couple of times and any roller coaster that will hang me or zoom me around in flight position. I would love to sky dive at least once. But the base jumping with the wing suits just fascinates me. I really think it is top on my Bucket list.
    Yes! I want to skydive. I would like to get certified so I can go without being strapped to an instructor. And I really want to hang glide! I'd be up for base jumping, too. And I signed up for a diving class at the local pool, haha. :lol:
    I would say the closest I've been so far, was in small planes, and zip lining on this really great course in Idaho--we got up to an estimated 45-50 mph on this line. os0jykqwy0kj.jpg

Sorry for not responding to all the other lovely comments individually; there are so many people here, and you all seem GREAT! I'm still sticking to "bite sized' interactions for now, but I'm LOVING this group. <3

Larisa in Seattle
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,791 Member
    Options
    Larisa~ not in a million years, I have been in a small plane, we flew around the U.S. when I was a teen my brother, and mom ,dad and I for month it was a wonderful trip... but other than that I go any higher than the 4th floor od a motel and I start freaking out..
  • MightyLolo
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Larissa: I’d love to swim in the Senior Olympics too! I was a nationally-ranked swimmer in high school. You’d never know it now!
    Let's do it! I'll see you there. :smiley: I just took up swimming a year ago though, so I'll probably get there at 60 or so. :smile:

Larisa in Seattle
  • MightyLolo
    Options
    Larisa~ not in a million years
    I completely understand. I did that last year because I still couldn't walk, let alone hike, and was going stir crazy. I had taken up swimming and kayaking, but I hadn't been up in the mountains in soooo long, I recruited some friends and we all went zip lining. My mom asked me if I was insane. Umm, probably? :lol: But it was amazing.

Larisa
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    My DSIL almost went to the Olympics she was nationally ranked too. Her brother died in a tragic car accident the year she was going to go. She still runs a Swim Team in St. Louis. She and my brother swim in Master Swim Meets to this day. I don't know if they participate in the Senior Olympics.
    I swam too but not to this level. Both are in great shapes in their early 60's.

:heart: Margaret
  • janetr7476
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mary, thank you for the boost. I think you are doing an amazing job of hanging in there and keeping up with the kettlebell swing challenge. Way to go. Very inspiring.

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,680 Member
    Options
    fancy - u r doing awesome! so are the rest of you peeps!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Larisa - I love zip lining, especially when it is over canyons. We've done quite a few and I admit the ones through tropical forests are the most amazing because of the things you see zipping by, or in one case keeping up with you swinging from tree to tree. lol Skydiving.... not so much. Know personally of accidents that were totally unpredictable. Just not going there. Base jumping.... are you nuts? :wink:

Janetr - I hate to say this brought me encouragement but it is nice to know I'm not the only one that goes totally nuts about food at times. You are smart to recognize it though and nip it in the bud. Life can be incredibly stressful can't it. My issue right now is I have tons of food in the house for the grandkids. It's all healthy stuff but I still want to stuff myself with it. I'm thinking I've found an eating trigger....
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    JanetR - you're not alone. Same head space I'm in. My gbs was 10 years ago.