Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • memaku
    memaku Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello - I'm new MFP and just starting my journey. I live in Florida and am a teacher. My goals right now are to learn how to be less stressed, drink more water and exercise 3xs a week. I am logging all my food. Hope that this will set me on the right path. Looking forward to making some new friends on this journey :) Melinda (aka Memaku)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    kimses2 wrote: »

I keep thinking about the comments made by this group when I first took this job:
    look at it as a clean slate
    be the one that takes the stairs -- doing that
    eat away from my desk -- doing that
    take breaks -- always take a break by the window in the kitchen in the sunlight
    set the one for being healthy -- in process and now I have a walking buddy to help
    pass by the cake and doughnuts -- bringing Yogurt Smoothies from Stonyfield for those moments.

Kimses in MA

:) I quoted this because it is so great and should be read by all of us again.....starting new healthy habits when starting a new job is a great plan and you made the best of it.

:)Margaret, beautiful flowers.

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness
    I got to practice this today when we went to something that was very important to Jake and not important at all to me. We got there early and ended up standing for an hour and a half before we were able to sit down at the event. The nerve damage in my legs makes standing very painful (I could easily have walked for all that time but standing still was horrible). When Jake asked me how I was doing, I said "fine" and said it with a smile instead of making a cranky face and saying what my insides were screaming "this is stupid and I want to go home" When it was over, we came home and I fixed one of our favorite lunches and all was peaceful.

<3 Barbie

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Rosie - I'm so sorry you're going through this. (((Hugs)))

Chris - WTG!!

Lariss - Dish!!

Carol - I started school at 5 and my son started at 4. We both are incredibly glad that we did!

So, the weirdest thing happened last night. I got a call from the guy I was seeing last fall. We were getting along really well and I liked him a lot but, although we still talked on the phone some, he just never had time to get together anymore. Being me, I figured I had screwed up somehow and chalked it up to experience and moved on. Well, he called last night to tell me that he had backed away because he was having such strong feelings for me that he got scared. Arrggghh!! Men are so weird!! He was sad to hear I was dating someone. However, he's having a partial knee replacement next month and I plan to check on him since he lives by himself.

I feel like a slug today. Spot woke me up before 5am and wanted out. I let her out and went back to bed but I still feel tired and totally unmotivated to do anything. The next time I'm out, I'm going to buy a squirt gun since she's begun waking me up by scratching on my interior doors and moldings.

Pip - Enjoy your new bike!!

Barbie - Happy belated birthday!

Mary - Fighting an enemy you know is easier so you should be able to knock that crap right out of your system!

Lisa - I'm sorry for the losses you've incurred. The poem was beautiful.

Becca - Feel better!!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate! I will be working in the nursery at one of my work churches because my daughter is too sick to do it (it's a part-time job for her). I took her to the doctor yesterday and her fever was over 102, her heart rate was 152, BP 98/52, and oxygen levels at 92. We think the heart rate and BP were because she was dehydrated. Her throat has been so sore she wasn't even drinking. We stopped at the grocery store and got her some soft foods (bananas, soup, mashed potatoes, French toast sticks, yogurt, and Gatorade). The antibiotic should be kicking in today so, hopefully, she can work on Monday.

The dryer just quit so I'm off to complete the only chore I've managed today.

Carol in NC
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    Chris in Massachusetts...I live in Boxford where are you?
    The the other "B" town...Burlington.
    Chris in MA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    I had a sub job yesterday so missed my workout. I did go walking for an hour after I got home. Today I met my friend at the gym and did 40 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the rowing machine, and 30 minutes of leg exercises - leg press, leg extension, thigh machine, leg curls, calf raises, 3 sets of 15 reps. I'm going to go back tomorrow afternoon and do arms since I'm subbing again on Monday. It's nice to finally be comfortable enough with the machines to do an individual workout without someone having to show me how first. It really helps now that I can't always make it at 9:00 a.m.

Rosie, I'm so sorry for all you are going through. It does sound like your situation is very similar to Allison's with the added complication of the job loss.

Mary, I'm sorry for your diagnosis as well. Please take care of yourself.

Lisa, the poem was amazing, you are a very talented writer.

The grandkids are in Nashville with their other grandparents for Easter, so we will have a nice, quiet day. Sunrise Service with breakfast, then regular church, then a trip to the gym. A pretty good holiday overall. I saw the kids on Tuesday, and will see them again soon, so all is well there.

I've been asked to speak at a Church Women United meeting on Friday morning. That will be a new experience for me. And I'm doing two sermons back to back on the 3rd, filling in for a pastor who has a two-point charge. One is at 9:00 a.m, then drive about 10 miles and do another at 11:00. So, I'll be writing speeches all week! I can use the same one at the two churches on Sunday, but the program speech needs to be different - entertaining and inspirational without being "preachy."
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Melinda in Florida~Welcome to a great bunch of ladies! The best gift you can give yourself is treating yourself with respect, and not just settling for what happens your way.
    Some mantras to put on your refrigerator:

THE MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENT IN FOOD PREPARATION IS MY MOOD

LOSING WEIGHT ISN'T THE KEY TO HAPPINESS, HAPPINESS IS THE KEY TO LOSING WEIGHT.

UNIVERSAL LAWS DICTATE WHEN YOU GIVE NOTHING YOU GET NOTHING.

Well, I have a pile of index cards of great sayings, and go thru them when I am feeling overwhelmed or powerless.
    Welcome
    Becca
    in rainy Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Well at 2:40am my sinus dam broke, so its a good and bad thing. Still have headaches, still taking medicine, but don't feel like I have a brick wall behind my eyeballs! My sore throat isn't as bad, but I am still really achy.

Watched "Extreme Makeover" and wow when you have your house transformed into a gym, you can do anything! Also Chris Powers, the host, moves in with them the first 3 months. Then when they DO lose like half their body in one year, then Walmart gives them a $50k debit card. I am extremely proud of what they have accomplished, don't get me wrong, I just think their "decks" are stacked a bit. In the show, the moment they look like they are not persevering, Chris swoops in and gets them back on track. In the real world there isn't anyone watching you, when you sneak food, or cheat. When you settle to eat crap, instead of food that fuels. I want to see the show AFTER the show, when they think the cameras aren't watching them. That is when the true test of themselves starts.

Everyone have a nice Easter. (((((hugs)))))
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I'm glad your DH's wallet was retreived & also that he is doing better. :flowerforyou:.

Kimses in MA: It sounds like you are doing well. I tell people that I'm my own science experiment and it sounds like you are somewhat like-minded. :smiley:

Margaret: The flowers are lovely! Thanks for sharing. :bigsmile:

Mary: I love the chickens hiding the eggs cartoon. :wink:

Pip: Congrats on 14!!!!!!

Melinda: Welcome to a great group of women. :smiley:

Barbie: You are a hero! You certainly met your alacrity goal today. :flowerforyou:

Becca: I love your refrigerator sayings, especially "Happiness is the key to losing weight."

My riding lesson was divine. My teacher chided me for something and said, "You're not a beginner anymore..." YES!!!! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: I heard from DD and was pleased to learn that DS and DDIL stopped and shared lunch with her family in IL today. DS & DDIL are in the process of moving across the country, and this is a move "from sea to shining sea." DD lives smack in the middle. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    :0)
  • Annr
    Options
    Question... Can someone type up a uniform listing of what DD's or MIL's and their meanings. I know I had to look up alot of what those mean, but I know there are others on here that use other ones I am not familiar with.

I would hate to use one and then find out it refers to something inappropriate!

Becca
    being uubber cautious in
    Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: This list ins incomplete: DD=Dear Daughter; DS=Dear Son, DDIL+Dear Daughter-in-Law
    MIL=Mother in Law, and so forth.
  • memaku
    memaku Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. Sorry I didn't post individually - I am still learning how to use this site. :)
  • Sheretaw
    Sheretaw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Shereta and I live near Atlanta. I hope to lose 35 lbs by my next birthday in September. Thanks for welcoming me. I mostly use dvds to workout with and I log in mfp.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    11,000 steps
    164 minutes of dog walking
    40 minutes riding the exercise bike
    32 minutes garden puttering
    2:12 plank

weight-lifting-smiley-emoticon.gifStrong Lifts with dumbbells
    sumo squats 5X5 @ 45 lbs
    deadlift 5X5 @ 60 lbs
    overhead press 5X5 @ 30 lbs

:)Melinda welcome.gif

:)Katla, your hard work is paying off now to be told that you're not a beginner anymore. :)

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Lariss - Dish!!
    HAHAHA well not too much to dish, yet; I've had a couple of suitors, the last few months, neither one quite right: a 42-year-old PhD in computer science, very charming, very adorable, but morbidly obese...and a 46-year-old, 6'6" trainer-actor-model, very fit, great sense of humor, but not very intellectual, and you know, too handsome. I shy away from the really handsome guys.

For the record, I'm 53, but people in my family live to be about 100 (98~105 is the spread), and I'm a little baby faced, so guys in the 40~45 range are mostly who asks me out. I'm not doing it on purpose, but I'm not complaining about it, either :wink:

Anyway, the other day, I was talking to a friend who started bragging on his brother, a college math professor in his forties who plays classical music and learns foreign languages for fun...I facetiously asked if he was single. He is, and my friend promptly asked if I wanted to meet him.
    I pointed out that my physique (5'11" mesomorph) is a show-stopper for a lot of men, and my friend countered that his brother is 6'5" and keeps himself fit... I was still mostly joking when I responded, "I think I just fell in love," but he informed me the next day, that his brother would like to meet me if I'm game...and then proceeded to interview me really thoroughly, pointing out numerous compatibilities (in his mind, at least). :wink: It was weirdly hilarious. No idea whether the brother and I will hit it off, but clearly someone besides us will be extremely disappointed if we don't. :laugh:
    I don't mind keeping you posted, if it turns out to be entertaining. :smiley:

Larisa

Edited to add, I immediately felt all insecure and thought, can I put this off until I've lost 15 pounds...but then I thought, if 15 lbs is a problem for this guy, then I can't help him, anyway. :blush:

• Annr
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Becca: This list ins incomplete: DD=Dear Daughter; DS=Dear Son, DDIL+Dear Daughter-in-Law
    MIL=Mother in Law, and so forth.

gotcha! Habit for me to type it all out though. If I type DS of a husband...you know that dear son isn't what I am implying. hahahaha!
    Becca
    Oh give me letters and I shall make stuff up in
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    but a lot of mine aren't "dear" anything.... guess that's why i don't use them. lolol
  • pipcd34
    Options
    how about milf lololol
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    Weekends seems to the only time I can get in time to read here and hit 10,000 steps. The rest of the week, I’m doing more pacing to get my fitbit to register it’s beautiful little wrist massage.

Meg: So sorry to hear about your back oweee. Hope you find a way to handle the pain.

Katla: Hoping the DS and DDIL are having an easy cross country trip. I’m sure they are enjoying the adventure together. What an awesome compliment from your riding teacher.

CJ, Barbie, Katie and others with car issues: Me, too! This week my ’99 Subaru, which I keep maintained to the letter of the manufacturer’s schedule, had the check engine light go on. A critical sensor of some kind. Ugh. I also had to address an issue with decaying rims which were shredding my 4 month old tires. So, needless to say, it was not a fun morning at the mechanic. I told him that I will probably sell this car in about a year, and he said “Why? It’s such a good little car!” He asked me to let him know first. Well, okay then.

Barbie: Belated happy birthday. A new quiet dishwasher sounds like a great gift to me. Subaru owners are loyal to the point of being zealots. Yours looks like a really nice car. May you enjoy several 100s of thousands of miles of carefree and safe driving.

Yvonne: What beautiful cats!

Lisa: What a lovely tribute to Cody.

Mary: So sorry about your diagnosis. Acupuncture rocks! I’ve used it to treat migraines, sinus infections and chronic pain from fibromyalgia. Today, I live entirely prescription free. I hope you find a course of treatment that gets you back to radiant good health.

Carol: If the Stewardship chair is a volunteer, even more reason to get your boss involved. You don’t report to her; and she has no authority over you. Someone has to remind her to swim in her own lane. Chin up. I’ll be praying the perfect full time gig turns up soon.

Grandmallie: I love the Cape. Can’t blame you for wanting a summer home there.

Michele: I love lamb and never get to make it because DH doesn’t care for it. Hope everyone enjoys the special meal and all the cakes you’ve made.

DJ: I hope you get those home repairs done right and for a bargain. Little things can make for big stress. Hugs.

Margaret: Glad you are taking precautions against contracting Lyme’s. DH, DD and the kids you teach need you strong and healthy.

Heather: Our condo gym added a new rowing machine. Thank you Easter Bunny or whoever made that purchase!!! I love it and just when I was having motivation issues with exercise, this has me very excited to get back into regular early morning workouts. Baby Bea is such a beauty. Keep the photos coming.

Pip: Nice new ride! Enjoy.

Lenora: What a wonderful surprise!

Joyce: Sooo many passwords needed these days. Glad you got the i-pad to open for you.

Rosie: Hugs, prayers, healing thoughts going your way in big bunches. Wish I could do more.

Janet: Can I rent Jack? My DH used to be very handy with repairs and home improvements but between hand tremors and a touch of dementia, those days are past.

KJ: Sorry for the loss of your uncle.

Kimses: Sounds like you are off to a great start with the new job and regime. Atttagurrll.

Larissa: Keep us posted on this new prospect. Sounds very interesting.

Time to post this and then get in another 1500 steps.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills were we just had 4 inches of snow

MARCH goals
    Eat mindfully.
    Strength train 2x/week
    Beat February step total
    Take first step towards getting HI condo sold
    Weigh less at the end of the month
    My word for 2016: Optimism