Random Thought For the Day

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Dippin' Dots has been "The ice cream of the future" for 30 years now and we still can't get it at the grocery store.
  • cee134
    Options
    It's surprising there aren't any conspiracy theories that the ocean is bottomless because most people have never been to the seafloor.
  • cee134
    Options
    Maybe dogs really don't like to chase balls. Maybe they just don't like to lose stuff.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    Almost every commercially produced food and drink through-out the world has an enhanced color using E-150 class caramel colorings.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    How does one go about getting all their forum thread posts removed when they quit MFP?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    How do you unfriend people when they quit without unfriend you?
    And how important is it to correct autocorrect after you post, if you think your post can still be understood?
  • cee134
    Options
    How does one go about getting all their forum thread posts removed when they quit MFP?

You have to PM a mod and ask, I think.
  • cee134
    Options
    Tomorrow is Star Wars Day!
  • honeybee__12
    Options
    If you drive slow enough the light will change to red. :s
  • cee134
    Options
    May the 4th be with you.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    Since there are so many rules that encourage passive-aggressive comments I thought I would add some real-life ways you can be passive-aggressive too. Taken from a Psychology Today post. See if you use these:

"I'm not mad."

Denying feelings of anger is classic passive aggressive behavior. Rather than being upfront and honest when questioned about his feelings, the passive aggressive person insists, "I'm not mad" even when he or she is seething on the inside.

"Fine." "Whatever."

Sulking and withdrawing from arguments are primary strategies of the passive aggressive person. Since passive aggression is motivated by a person's belief that expressing anger directly will only make his life worse (Long, Long & Whitson, 2008), the passive aggressive person uses phrases like "Fine" and "Whatever" to express anger indirectly and to shut down direct, emotionally honest communication.

"I'm coming!"

Passive aggressive persons are known for verbally complying with a request, but behaviorally delaying its completion. If whenever you ask your child to clean his room, he cheerfully says, "Okay, I'm coming," but then fails to show up to complete the chore, chances are he is practicing the fine passive aggressive art of temporary compliance.

"I didn't know you meant now."

On a related note, passive aggressive persons are master procrastinators. While all of us like to put off unpleasant tasks from time to time, people with passive aggressive personalities rely on procrastination as a way of frustrating others and/or getting out of certain chores without having to directly refuse them.

"You just want everything to be perfect."

When procrastination is not an option, a more sophisticated passive aggressive strategy is to carry out tasks in a timely, but unacceptable manner. For example:

A student hands in sloppy homework.
    An individual prepares a well-done steak for his or her spouse wife, knowing the spouse prefers to eat steak rare.
    An employee dramatically overspends the budget on an important project.

In all of these instances, the passive aggressive person complies with a particular request, but carries it out in an intentionally inefficient way. When confronted, he or she defends the work, counter-accusing others of having rigid or perfectionist standards.

"I thought you knew."

Sometimes, the perfect passive aggressive crime has to do with omission. Passive aggressive persons may express their anger covertly by choosing not to share information when it could prevent a problem. By claiming ignorance, the person defends inaction, while taking pleasure in a foe's trouble and anguish.

"Sure, I'd be happy to."

Have you ever been in a customer service situation where a seemingly concerned clerk or super-polite phone operator assures you that your problem will be solved. On the surface, the representative is cooperative, but beware of the angry smile; behind the scenes, he or she is filing your request in the trash and stamping your paperwork with "DENY."

"You've done so well for someone with your education level."

The backhanded compliment is the ultimate socially acceptable means by which the passive aggressive person insults you to your core. If anyone has ever told you, "Don't worry; you can still get braces, even at your age" or, "There are a lot of men out there who like plump women," chances are you know how much "joy" a passive aggressive compliment can bring.

"I was only joking"

Like backhanded compliments, sarcasm is a common tool of a passive aggressive person who expresses hostility aloud, but in socially acceptable, indirect ways. If you show that you are offended by biting, passive aggressive sarcasm, the hostile joke teller plays up his or her role as victim, asking, "Can't you take a joke?"

"Why are you getting so upset?"

The passive aggressive person is a master at maintaining calm and feigning shock when others, worn down by his or her indirect hostility, blow up in anger. In fact, the person takes pleasure out of setting others up to lose their cool and then questioning their "overreactions."
  • cee134
    Options
    The "every kid gets a trophy" thing was NOT an attempt to bolster self esteem - it was an attempt to sell more trophies to more people.
  • cee134
    Options
    Much of Amazon.com's Prime Video collection feels as if it were assembled using only films they were able to pick up randomly at yard sales.
  • cee134
    Options
    If spiders swung around on webs like Spider-Man they'd be 100x more terrifying.
  • honeybee__12
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    If spiders swung around on webs like Spider-Man they'd be 100x more terrifying.

Just imagining this will give me nightmares! Lol
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    If gummy bears weren't so timid and tame would we be so Cavalier in the way we eat them?
  • cee134
    Options
    Aloe Vera is how a pirate would greet someone named Vera.
  • cee134
    Options
    The B in subtle is quite subtle.
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,585 Member
    Options
    Why is there so many days in the week? Why cant there be just one day between weekends?