Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Options

Replies

• Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have to do cardio. There was a long stretch of time where I didn't -- years actually -- and just counted calories and lifted weights and the scale didn't move and I was still fat. I've been doing cardio 4 times a week for 45-55 minutes since January and I've lost around 5 pounds and inches as well. I still count calories and haven't changed what I've been eating nor do I -- nor have I ever -- "eat back" my exercise calories (not on purpose any way) simply because I don't trust the "burn" numbers. Sure I still log it because I like to keep track of what I have done but the number of calories that I've supposedly burned is meaningless to me. I get that I'm creating a "bigger calorie deficit" with the addition of cardio (I highly doubt it's that huge) but my point is that just lifting and eating at a deficit has never worked for me. I have always had to do some sort of cardio activity to lean out. Everyone is different. What works for one person might not necessarily work for someone else.

Plus I like it which is a bonus.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you weren't losing, you weren't eating at a deficit. Nobody is different in that regard.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I have to do cardio. There was a long stretch of time where I didn't -- years actually -- and just counted calories and lifted weights and the scale didn't move and I was still fat. I've been doing cardio 4 times a week for 45-55 minutes since January and I've lost around 5 pounds and inches as well. I still count calories and haven't changed what I've been eating nor do I -- nor have I ever -- "eat back" my exercise calories (not on purpose any way) simply because I don't trust the "burn" numbers. Sure I still log it because I like to keep track of what I have done but the number of calories that I've supposedly burned is meaningless to me. I get that I'm creating a "bigger calorie deficit" with the addition of cardio (I highly doubt it's that huge) but my point is that just lifting and eating at a deficit has never worked for me. I have always had to do some sort of cardio activity to lean out. Everyone is different. What works for one person might not necessarily work for someone else.

Plus I like it which is a bonus.
    If it did not work for you then you were not in a deficit...
  • mrcs_jolly
    mrcs_jolly Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps create a deeper calorie deficit, which helps you lose weight...and, of course, it increases heart health. Fasted cardio has been beneficial in my weight loss efforts.
  • kaneporterhome
    kaneporterhome Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    facts from science http://www.livestrong.com/blog/the-facts-on-why-burst-training-beats-steady-state-cardio/

I am doing exactly this now. I used to spend hrs wasted on cardio when i need to loose fat. Thats why i do HiT, yes its hard, you will be exhausted, you will be out of breath, muscles full of blood, but guess what you loose body fat, in fact quite quickly as i found out 4% in 12 days to be exact, yes it will slow, so i adjust my diet, as it is presently, inches of muscle going up, fat % going down and scales going down, believe me when i say,I have done cardio, weights, running, swimming and a mix of all of them, this HiT change coupled with dropping carbs lower has started to resolve my weight yo/yo for the first time in my life, then again its easy to sustain as its only 20-25mins 3-4 times a week, how hard can that be to fit in a day?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    My favorite from of cardio at the moment is jumping rope. I like learning the skills of the different steps/moves and the time flies by. I'm like you @ninerbuff, I generally do not enjoy cardio. Prefer lifting, calisthenics, gymnastic strength training etc...
    I used to skip rope alot when I boxed at an actual boxing gym. Learning all the types of rope skips was fun. May have to take it up again once my MCL is completely healed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Thats why i do HiT, yes its hard, you will be exhausted, you will be out of breath, muscles full of blood, but guess what you loose body fat, in fact quite quickly as i found out 4% in 12 days to be exact, yes it will slow, so i adjust my diet, as it is presently, inches of muscle going up, fat % going down and scales going down, believe me when i say,I have done cardio, weights, running, swimming and a mix of all of them, this HiT change coupled with dropping carbs lower has started to resolve my weight yo/yo for the first time in my life, then again its easy to sustain as its only 20-25mins 3-4 times a week, how hard can that be to fit in a day?

3-4 times per week of HIIT???!!!!

Just exactly what Zones are you hitting in your interval training?

Well, the time component may be easy to fit in, but depends on the level of HIIT one is doing which alters the word from easy to beyond hard. B)

Zones for cardio descriptions I use for on the bike training:

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

Today's schedule calls for #5 - I am going to die - intervals.

Warm up well then do 4 x 4 minutes in power L5 or HRZ5 with 3 minutes easy spin recoveries between intervals. Keep cadence high during the 4 mins on.

16 total work minutes in the I am going to die Zone. 9 minutes total work of recovery in old lady pace. Probably a good 15-20 minute warm up before enduring those 25 minutes of HIIT.

Not sure I would want to put myself through that 3-4 times per week if it were even possible. But that is part of an overall structured training program with lots of cardio (10-12 hours per week on the bike).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Cardio is absolutely essential to keeping me in a good mood. I forget to log it, because it doesn't seem like exercise if I'm taking a dance class, or I'm out in nature hiking or biking.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Cardio is absolutely essential to keeping me in a good mood. I forget to log it, because it doesn't seem like exercise if I'm taking a dance class, or I'm out in nature hiking or biking.

This is something I absolutely 100% agree with...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    My favorite from of cardio at the moment is jumping rope. I like learning the skills of the different steps/moves and the time flies by. I'm like you @ninerbuff, I generally do not enjoy cardio. Prefer lifting, calisthenics, gymnastic strength training etc...
    I used to skip rope alot when I boxed at an actual boxing gym. Learning all the types of rope skips was fun. May have to take it up again once my MCL is completely healed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah I had a one year layoff from it when I had hip surgery for a torn labrum...
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thats why i do HiT, yes its hard, you will be exhausted, you will be out of breath, muscles full of blood, but guess what you loose body fat, in fact quite quickly as i found out 4% in 12 days to be exact, yes it will slow, so i adjust my diet, as it is presently, inches of muscle going up, fat % going down and scales going down, believe me when i say,I have done cardio, weights, running, swimming and a mix of all of them, this HiT change coupled with dropping carbs lower has started to resolve my weight yo/yo for the first time in my life, then again its easy to sustain as its only 20-25mins 3-4 times a week, how hard can that be to fit in a day?

Well, the time component may be easy to fit in, but depends on the level of HIIT one is doing which alters the word from easy to beyond hard. B)

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

Warm up well then do 4 x 4 minutes in power L5 or HRZ5 with 3 minutes easy spin recoveries between intervals. Keep cadence high during the 4 mins on.

16 total work minutes in the I am going to die Zone. 9 minutes total work of recovery in old lady pace. Probably a good 15-20 minute warm up before enduring those 25 minutes of HIIT.

Not sure I would want to put myself through that 3-4 times per week if it were even possible. But that is part of an overall structured training program with lots of cardio (10-12 hours per week on the bike).

The bolded area would have been more helpful than what I was told during a recent orientation at my gym.
    I was informed that on the cardio equipment to keep my heart rate between some numbers I ignored to be in the "Fat Burning zone". Its really no wonder that people become confident they are burning fat with cardio with so much misinformation spread.

• cla_lou
    cla_lou Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So in theory fasted cardio is better than cardio at the end of a long day? (Taking into consideration probably around 400-500 calorie cut back)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    cla_lou wrote: »
    So in theory fasted cardio is better than cardio at the end of a long day? (Taking into consideration probably around 400-500 calorie cut back)

Not really, not if your total cals in - total cals out for the day are equal. Your option you would have stored fat earlier in the day, and are now burning that plus a little off. doing it the other way you would store less during the day, but burning less later in the day, net effect would be the same.
  • J72FIT
    Options

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

The bolded area would have been more helpful than what I was told during a recent orientation at my gym.
    I was informed that on the cardio equipment to keep my heart rate between some numbers I ignored to be in the "Fat Burning zone". Its really no wonder that people become confident they are burning fat with cardio with so much misinformation spread.

Yeah it really is a perfect example of overcomplicating the process...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, and the eating plans that start with average weekly TDEE method where they are picking their planned exercise routine - then deficit is taken daily for a set eating amount.

And since they don't understand the concept behind what is happening, all they know is that for weeks they don't exercise what they said they would, they don't lose weight - or they gain perhaps.

So in their mind they must exercise for weight loss. And dollars to donuts (hmmmmm, donuts) they are doing that diet plan along with a cardio only exercise plan - just starting out.
    So cardio exercise is required for weight loss for what limited they understand.
  • heybales
    Options

To add - Only if your purpose for such training is to train your body's fuel burning system to utilize a slightly higher % of fat at the start of a workout (30 min) than the normal carb:fat ratio that would occur.

And that's if you are actually interested in endurance cardio and need to spare those carb stores as best as possible because the workout is going to be long and/or intense.

But as far as purely fat and calorie burn, gotta look at the day as a whole, as @erickirb mentions.
  • Cathscottage
    Cathscottage Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This thread has been very helpful to me. I joined a gym five weeks ago and have lost a kilo a week. I do cardio, weight program, some classes and I also watch the food intake. The staff told me I can exercise all I like but I need to keep my calories down to lose the weight. Well no surprise there as weight is coming off. Yipee
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    Not really. All in all it's basically your total calories at the end of the day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• heybales
    Options
    This thread has been very helpful to me. I joined a gym five weeks ago and have lost a kilo a week. I do cardio, weight program, some classes and I also watch the food intake. The staff told me I can exercise all I like but I need to keep my calories down to lose the weight. Well no surprise there as weight is coming off. Yipee

So they were sharing the same kind of general confusing info that can lead to mis-application of advice.

I'm betting their comment to keeping calories down was in perspective to not eating more and more as you exercise more and more - a normal response.

But if you started at say 2000 calories eating and no exercise, and have increased exercise up 500 daily and food down by 500 daily - that's not bad. For now. Eventually that won't be reasonable deficit for amount to be lost.

It's when people get in to the extremes they cause trouble fast - cut 1000 and exercise massively compared to prior.

Because really, only need to eat less than you burn in total (which includes exercise) by reasonable amount to lose fat weight.
    Make it unreasonable and include muscle mass too.

That's why MFP attempts to save people if used correctly by logging exercise when done, and your eating level correctly adjusts for doing more that day.
  • ScottMessier
    ScottMessier Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png