Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym" I thought EVERYONE knew that saying??? The one thing that always bothered me about MFP is they encourage you to eat back everything you "lost".

Food = weight loss
    Working out = fitness

You can lose weight eating properly, but you can't lose weight just by working out. How do people not know this by now? It's proof enough exercise DOES NOT burn fat like everyone says.

Well, when I've had active jobs and lifestyles, such as when I was a sheeter machine operator for work and did a lot of gardening as a hobby, or a full time yoga teacher who also walked a lot for transportation, I didn't need to put any though into what I ate to maintain a healthy weight. It's when I switch to desk jobs that I have problems. It's like I unconsciously want to eat a certain amount of calories per day and if my CO doesn't naturally match up I need to put more thought into my CI and/or CO.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm new to all of this. So what your saying is with my exercise and if I eat say 500 cal less then I'm suppose to a day I will lose weight? Honest question cause I really don't know.

@Harleyford10 from where are you getting your daily calorie allotment? If from MFP, the deficit is already built in and you do not need to exercise in order to lose weight. (There are plenty of other reasons to exercise.)

With MFP, you are supposed to eat all your calories plus those you earn from exercise (but since MFP exercise burns are widely considered to be inflated, many suggest you eat only half of them back.)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lord007 wrote: »
    While the OP is correct, it's a bit misleading. One should do 20+ minutes of cardio to be fat burning. Up to the 20 minute mark (approximately), you're basically burning off the sugars stored in your blood and muscle lining. the general statement is correct that if you are at a consistent calorie deficit, you will lose fat.
    Broscience. While longer duration (if the intensity is low enough) will revert to a higher percentage of fat being burned over glycogen, it would take an EXTREME amount of exercise to burn of the glycogen stores in your body. Even ELITE ATHLETES don't do it. And if one really did deplete ALL of their glycogen stores, they'd likely be on the ground convulsing. Seen it live on TV on an Ironman comp on ESPN.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Honest question- Does this mean that one should do lower intensity cardio for a longer duration to help preserve LBM while losing?

You won't preserve LBM in a diet, you hope to keep some of what makes it up though - muscle mass. Go to the bathroom each morning and you lose LBM. Need less blood to reach less fat, less LBM.

During normal life muscle is broken down and rebuilt.

During a diet with less raw material available, the body will decide least used is last rebuilt with limited means.

That for many extreme diets means unused muscle is not built back up. Muscle is lost.

More intense use of muscle actually tells body it's needed. Like strength training, or intervals. So it's kept.

What's better for your point is less deficit - then do whatever level of cardio you want. Eating reasonably for whatever you burn in total.

You could do long low intensity cardio with extreme deficit and still lose muscle mass. Has nothing to do with what happens to be the fuel source during the workout, but what is available from eating later.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,557 Member
    Options
    While the OP is correct, it's a bit misleading. One should do 20+ minutes of cardio to be fat burning. Up to the 20 minute mark (approximately), you're basically burning off the sugars stored in your blood and muscle lining. the general statement is correct that if you are at a consistent calorie deficit, you will lose fat.
    Broscience. While longer duration (if the intensity is low enough) will revert to a higher percentage of fat being burned over glycogen, it would take an EXTREME amount of exercise to burn of the glycogen stores in your body. Even ELITE ATHLETES don't do it. And if one really did deplete ALL of their glycogen stores, they'd likely be on the ground convulsing. Seen it live on TV on an Ironman comp on ESPN.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Honest question- Does this mean that one should do lower intensity cardio for a longer duration to help preserve LBM while losing?
    Nope. One should have a good resistance program to preserve LBM while on a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    I lost probably 50 lbs several years ago just walking and working out at the gym. I didn't change my diet at all. Obviously all the walking and workout calories put me in a deficit, so I would say that yes, working out and/or doing cardio will make you lose weight ( as long as you don't increase food intake). Drives me nuts when I see people say you won't lose weight with exercise. I did it.
    The working out help to create a deficit, that's why you lost weight. Again, one could exercise all they want, but if they ate back their TDEE, weight loss won't happen.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nope. One should have a good resistance program to preserve LBM while on a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks! I lift 4x/week and normally would walk/elliptical after, but have just started running again. I'll keep at it!

I want to maintain a level of cardio endurance- the ability to run a 5k as I please.
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I really like this string. The information shared is invaluable. I knew in my heart that the way to lose weight is to eat less but for some reason (over the years), I had convinced myself that exercise was the key to weight loss! I am still exercising faithfully, but am looking at what types of food I eat, the portion size and the total calorie count.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym" I thought EVERYONE knew that saying??? The one thing that always bothered me about MFP is they encourage you to eat back everything you "lost".

Food = weight loss
    Working out = fitness

You can lose weight eating properly, but you can't lose weight just by working out. How do people not know this by now? It's proof enough exercise DOES NOT burn fat like everyone says.

Well, when I've had active jobs and lifestyles, such as when I was a sheeter machine operator for work and did a lot of gardening as a hobby, or a full time yoga teacher who also walked a lot for transportation, I didn't need to put any though into what I ate to maintain a healthy weight. It's when I switch to desk jobs that I have problems. It's like I unconsciously want to eat a certain amount of calories per day and if my CO doesn't naturally match up I need to put more thought into my CI and/or CO.

I often eat more when I am less busy. So on weekends that I have more stuff planned I am less likely, for whatever reason, to seek out additional food as additional entertainment. It's not conscious. It's like oh I have to get going so I can get to the museum and then after that I'm doing xyz. The museum provides the stimulation. If I sit around all day doing not a lot, I look forward to lunch as being an event and want extra things. That's my experience anyways. But I agree you can also get stuck in a mental rut where you are used to eating a certain amount, certain portions.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Um.
    Burning excess calories (AKA "energy") reduces the amount of incoming calories, thus helping in weight loss.
    It may not directly burn fat, but cardio burns calories which would turn into fat..so.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Um.
    Burning excess calories (AKA "energy") reduces the amount of incoming calories, thus helping in weight loss.
    It may not directly burn fat, but cardio burns calories which would turn into fat..so.

Calories In = How much you eat
    Calories Out = How much you burn

You lose weight by making Calories In less than Calories Out. It is really that simple.

"Burning excess calories (AKA "energy")" as you say increases the Calories Out side. That's all it does. If you don't increase the Calories In, you lose weight. The problem is many people increase both sides of the equation and they don't lose anything. This is probably because exercise also makes you hungry. It could be because people who don't understand think because they exercise it is OK to have that extra milk shake at dinner time.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Love this discussion learning a lot! But although i am now trying to weigh everything for calorie counting at a point what is the use to be that precise if I cant know for sure how many calories i spend by excercising? For instance i swim 3-4 times a week now but i am just guessing the calories i burn out as it all depends ....so it's never an exact match. Also map my run gives an indication i guess.
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Um.
    Um, you could also eat less than you burn, not do cardio and still burn fat.
    Math still applies here.
    Say you burn calories (AKA energy) to the tune of 500 calories, but eat 500 calories over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure which includes the 500 calorie burn). Guess what? Those turn to fat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Love this discussion learning a lot! But although i am now trying to weigh everything for calorie counting at a point what is the use to be that precise if I cant know for sure how many calories i spend by excercising? For instance i swim 3-4 times a week now but i am just guessing the calories i burn out as it all depends ....so it's never an exact match. Also map my run gives an indication i guess.

Very true - one side of the equation is much easier to get a good estimate on.

Since the other side is more iffy, it means it's even more important to be as good on the food side as you can.

Then you adjust as needed for long ranges of time.

Hopefully not assuming bigger loss is better by default.

But when you think of it - what % of your daily or weekly calories is the exercise calories as currently estimated?

What if the exercise calories was 50% more - how does that change the % for the day or week?

Just go for best estimate without knocking yourself out - unless you just enjoy the numbers - which some of us do.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for fun.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Cardio is for fun.
    Personally I'd rather do without it at this time in my life. I do it to keep the cardiovascular benefits and to allow me a little more room for food, but with the exception of biking and kickboxing, I despise doing it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cardio is for fun.
    Personally I'd rather do without it at this time in my life. I do it to keep the cardiovascular benefits and to allow me a little more room for food, but with the exception of biking and kickboxing, I despise doing it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do you need to do any other cardio if you enjoy biking and kickboxing?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Cardio is for fun.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do you need to do any other cardio if you enjoy biking and kickboxing?
    No, but unfortunately I can't always do both. I don't have a bag at home anymore and biking does depend on the weather. And I don't ride the bike at the gym.
    I'll always "find" a way to do it almost daily, it's just not something I'm into, like lifting weights.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My favorite from of cardio at the moment is jumping rope. I like learning the skills of the different steps/moves and the time flies by. I'm like you @ninerbuff, I generally do not enjoy cardio. Prefer lifting, calisthenics, gymnastic strength training etc...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'd have to agree that you do not have to do cardio to lose fat/weight. However, it increases endurance, helps you burn more calories (which can help you offset a slightly higher calorie intake) and you can generally burn calories faster using aerobic or anaerobic cardio than you can say.. lifting weights, or doing squats. So should you do it, likely yes, a few times a week for at least 15 minutes. It'll help you reach your goals faster and lose fat faster. Do you HAVE to do it? Nope. If all you want is to lose fat/weight and not increase your cardiovascular endurance and strength then don't do it. If you prefer lifting that's just as good, but you're going to have to work at it a little harder most likely to burn the same amount of calories. I think a combination of lifting and cardio is the perfect way to lose weight, gain muscle, and become more fit.

I've been doing cardio mixed with body weight training and free weights for a little over a year now. I've lost almost 110 lbs, gained a ton of muscle and strength, and i've done it all on a calorie deficit. Granted, I may eat 2200-2500 calories a day, but my TDEE with my exercise is probably around 3000 calories a day or more. Just my humble opinion, YMMV. I don't think there's any reason to say cardio is not bad or a myth, it does work, but there are alternatives. Simply dieting without exercise at all will make you skinny fat which doesn't look good most of the time.

Having said that, I'm now finding it very difficult to gain more muscle on a deficit because my fat stores are getting smaller. Granted, less body fat is what I want, but eventually when I hit the weight and body fat I want (I am close) I will have no choice but to add calories in the form of complex carbs and protein slowly to start gaining muscle again. If you read most bodybuilding sites, they'll tell you that you can't gain muscle on a deficit, that it takes a calorie surplus. That's true, but keep in mind, when you have lots of fat and extra weight that surplus comes from fat stores even though you are on a deficit, and that's what you want. Cardio, in my opinion again, helps you burn those stores faster and more efficiently. But just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work that way for you. Everyone is different, and there are many options, but as the original poster said, it takes a calorie deficit first and foremost to lose fat.

So after around 14 months, my Resting Heart Rate is between 42-45bpm, and my body fat % is less than 15%, and I'm within 5 lbs of my final goal weight. Would I do it any different if I was starting over today? I might take it a little slower, but otherwise no. I'd still mix cardio with strength training.