Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Isn't there an increase in a person's metabolic rate from consistent/daily/weekly exercising? This is a huge plus in my book just to exercise (but I am a bit old) LOL

As the above poster said above, I have lost weight, maintained and gained weight whilst exercising.

IMHO I think TV shows, magazines, internet jargon, make it out to believe that you must "exercise to loose weight", or at least that is the way it comes across. So people jump on MFP setup a calorie deficit and jump right on the forums and always ask "how many calories do I need to burn a day to loose weight", or "what type of cardio do I need to do to loose XXX pounds by XXX date?"

Who actually asks how can I improve my cardiovascular health to compliment my weight loss? Not very many.

yes, you get an increase in calories burned, but the point that niner is making is that this is small and that consistent calorie deficit is really the answer....

Oh I know this... I am just chatting...sorry.

no problem..

I thought you were asking for clarification...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Isn't there an increase in a person's metabolic rate from consistent/daily/weekly exercising? This is a huge plus in my book just to exercise (but I am a bit old) LOL

As the above poster said above, I have lost weight, maintained and gained weight whilst exercising.

IMHO I think TV shows, magazines, internet jargon, make it out to believe that you must "exercise to loose weight", or at least that is the way it comes across. So people jump on MFP setup a calorie deficit and jump right on the forums and always ask "how many calories do I need to burn a day to loose weight", or "what type of cardio do I need to do to loose XXX pounds by XXX date?"

Who actually asks how can I improve my cardiovascular health to compliment my weight loss? Not very many.

*raises hand*

In fact I cared more about this than the actual weight but they're both side-kicks and fixing one helps the other. That is I first cared about getting less winded at 11k+ feet and that triggered my desire to fix other things. Generally however..... "Wedding in 6 weeks! ZOMG!"

I guess I should stop posting again..

@gia07 I was here first. Stop following me. :P
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    While the OP is correct, it's a bit misleading. One should do 20+ minutes of cardio to be fat burning. Up to the 20 minute mark (approximately), you're basically burning off the sugars stored in your blood and muscle lining. the general statement is correct that if you are at a consistent calorie deficit, you will lose fat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Not sure if this was just a UK ad but I loved it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxzdo8FfrW0

That's what nightmares are made of, thanks ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LOL it was a really effective campaign :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Actually, the addition of exercise is much more effective in getting rid of visceral fat(you know, the stuff associated with heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc) than deficit alone.
    Is there a source for that claim?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

*raises hand*

In fact I cared more about this than the actual weight but they're both side-kicks and fixing one helps the other. That is I first cared about getting less winded at 11k+ feet and that triggered my desire to fix other things. Generally however..... "Wedding in 6 weeks! ZOMG!"

You know the rules, stalking is only allowed on that "one" forum. ;)
  • hectorh82
    hectorh82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    haha.. thats why some body builders/protein heads/creatine heads/roiders i know never do cardio lol.. "waist of time" but for me it works .. but to truly "burn fat" you need to eat better and vary your workouts.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    In other news...the sky is up

To be fair, it is also down, but like losing via pure exercise, you'd have to go through hell first to get there that way.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Actually, the addition of exercise is much more effective in getting rid of visceral fat(you know, the stuff associated with heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc) than deficit alone.

I was actually going to ask about this - Does visceral fat behave the same way as other fat? I've read so many silly magazine, clickbait style articles I'm not sure if I've ever read anything legit on it anymore.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »

I was actually going to ask about this - Does visceral fat behave the same way as other fat? I've read so many silly magazine, clickbait style articles I'm not sure if I've ever read anything legit on it anymore.

It behaves the same as other fat but it's about the fastest burning fat because it tends to have more beta receptors than other areas, particularly lower body fat. My understanding is that it evolved as a fast energy track for activities such as hunting but that could be just speculation.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    hectorh82 wrote: »
    haha.. thats why some body builders/protein heads/creatine heads/roiders i know never do cardio lol.. "waist of time" but for me it works .. but to truly "burn fat" you need to eat better and vary your workouts.

Eat better? You mean stay in a deficit? Doesn't matter what you eat (as long as you get min fat and protein) for fat loss. For healthy you also will need vitamins and minerals.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

*raises hand*

You know the rules, stalking is only allowed on that "one" forum. ;)

I keep telling her that but @RoxieDawn keeps following me. I don't know why.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Lord007 wrote: »
    While the OP is correct, it's a bit misleading. One should do 20+ minutes of cardio to be fat burning. Up to the 20 minute mark (approximately), you're basically burning off the sugars stored in your blood and muscle lining. the general statement is correct that if you are at a consistent calorie deficit, you will lose fat.

if you do 20 minutes of cardio for fat burning but you are still in a surplus for the day, have you burned any fat??
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    While the OP is correct, it's a bit misleading. One should do 20+ minutes of cardio to be fat burning. Up to the 20 minute mark (approximately), you're basically burning off the sugars stored in your blood and muscle lining. ...
    If that was the case to lose fat, then no one could lose without cardio, but you can and many have.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this was just a UK ad but I loved it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxzdo8FfrW0

That made me laugh and feel uncomfortable at the same time.

There was an add series similar to that in the US - where people would come across random piles of flesh and comment about how someone had lost their beer belly, spare tire, bubble butt, etc... So gross, but it was actually somewhat motivating (though obviously not for purchasing the product, since I can't remember what the commercial was actually for).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

if you do 20 minutes of cardio for fat burning but you are still in a surplus for the day, have you burned any fat??

Technically, yes you have. But not enough to be meaningful, and certainly not enough to outweigh the fat you later put on as result of the calorie surplus.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

No form of exercise is required to reach this state- you could sit still and reach that state as long as you weren't replenishing glycogen whilst you were doing it. So, if exercise is not required for fat burning we are back to the position that @ninerbuff (OP) stated.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

technically, yes. But the fat you later put on as a result of the surplus far outweighs the .000001lb of fat you burned from that exercise.

I know..it was more of a rhetorical question for that poster...