Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    This needs a bump.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/metabolism/art-20046508

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym" I thought EVERYONE knew that saying??? The one thing that always bothered me about MFP is they encourage you to eat back everything you "lost".

Food = weight loss
    Working out = fitness

You can lose weight eating properly, but you can't lose weight just by working out. How do people not know this by now? It's proof enough exercise DOES NOT burn fat like everyone says.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    This all seems like a philosophical discussion about fat loss. Do you need exercise to burn fat? No. Does exercise alone burn fat? No. However, doesn't exercise burn energy which must be replaced or supplemented by stored fat, which causes fat loss? Isn't saying exercise doesn't burn fat kind of misleading as it does in a roundabout way, if the person doing the exercise doesn't replace that energy with food?

But if you look at the industry and marketing overall, the industry is always touting this particular exercise or that particular exercise as "fat burning"...this thread is addressing that. There are a lot of people out there that buy into that kind of hype...I see it all of the time on MFP, "what exercise should I do to burn more fat?" There is a substantial misunderstanding by many that it's all about the exercise and this particular exercise or that particular exercise, and they don't grasp the fact that it really comes down to their diets. I see people in the gym who are killing it...but I don't ever see them really changing their bodies because they still haven't figured out the diet part and that all of their exercise is meaningless in the context of weight loss if they don't have their diet in check.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym" I thought EVERYONE knew that saying??? The one thing that always bothered me about MFP is they encourage you to eat back everything you "lost".

Food = weight loss
    Working out = fitness

You can lose weight eating properly, but you can't lose weight just by working out. How do people not know this by now? It's proof enough exercise DOES NOT burn fat like everyone says.
    Well if some are a bit overweight at eating 2500 calories and then just add exercise and burn 500 calories and create just a 250 calorie deficit, they will lose weight. Where many become confused it that they think they NEED to do a cardio regimen of some sort to have it happen. So many magazines, sites, and unknowledgeable trainers tell them this.
    Again this isn't to say that doing cardio is a bad thing. It's a great thing. I'm just dispelling that the verbage "you need to do cardio to burn fat" or "cardio is what burns fat" as being deceptive.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Food = weight loss
    Working out = fitness

Well if some are a bit overweight at eating 2500 calories and then just add exercise and burn 500 calories and create just a 250 calorie deficit, they will lose weight. Where many become confused it that they think they NEED to do a cardio regimen of some sort to have it happen. So many magazines, sites, and unknowledgeable trainers tell them this.
    Again this isn't to say that doing cardio is a bad thing. It's a great thing. I'm just dispelling that the verbage "you need to do cardio to burn fat" or "cardio is what burns fat" as being deceptive.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is completely an honest question, when doing cardio, isn't it normally way over estimated how many calories one can burn? 45 minutes of a Jillian workout aerobic says i burn upwards of 300 calories. Isn't that way off? I'm meaning, in general, people don't nearly burn as much as they think. And i hear everyone on here talk about "net calories" that they eat back from training and they claim they aren't losing weight.

What does it really take to burn 500 calories?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Food = weight loss
    Working out = fitness

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is completely an honest question, when doing cardio, isn't it normally way over estimated how many calories one can burn? 45 minutes of a Jillian workout aerobic says i burn upwards of 300 calories. Isn't that way off? I'm meaning, in general, people don't nearly burn as much as they think. And i hear everyone on here talk about "net calories" that they eat back from training and they claim they aren't losing weight.

That is going to depend on a number of factors. I primarily cycle and can burn a good 500-600 calories in an hour or so...I'm a 185 Lb male and I'm usually at a "vigorous effort"....generally anywhere from 16-20 MPH sustained.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Food = weight loss
    Working out = fitness

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What will depend on burning that much is the exercise, intensity and the weight of someone. It's not that hard for someone over 200lbs to burn 500 calories in an hour if the intensity they do is moderate to high. For someone 125lbs, it's be pretty difficult. Not impossible, but it'd have to be pretty intense.
    Really the only way to accurately measure calorie burn would be through a calorimetry machine then applying the correct calorie count of whatever exercise burned based on equations that take into consideration a lot of variables (pressure, heat, etc). Now hardly anyone will go this route, so we try to just go with approximations and they will vary from source to source.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• TheNightWalker
    TheNightWalker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows you don't need to exercise at all to lose weight. Diet is the most important thing, but running for a while and generally just being more active WILL help. I'm not sure what you mean by cardio, but if it's the heart rate zones it will mostly just increase your endurance, but lower the intensity and you will burn more fat. You'll also be able to run longer.
    The more active you are, the more energy your body will need. Stay in a caloric deficit and your body will get the energy from the fat stored on your body. No need to make it harder than it is.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows you don't need to exercise at all to lose weight. Diet is the most important thing, but running for a while and generally just being more active WILL help. I'm not sure what you mean by cardio, but if it's the heart rate zones it will mostly just increase your endurance, but lower the intensity and you will burn more fat. You'll also be able to run longer.
    The more active you are, the more energy your body will need. Stay in a caloric deficit and your body will get the energy from the fat stored on your body. No need to make it harder than it is.

You would be surprised at the things that aren't common knowledge

• grumpygit1962
    grumpygit1962 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the opening post to a large degree, the old saying "you are what you eat" is spot on. You can get away with being a little reckless when you are young, but one too many pizza's will get you one day. I thought I started eating healthy years ago, but it is shocking how you can get caught out, even now sometimes.

I am not a vegetarian, but I do love my fruit and veg these days, and tend to use meat as a treat or enhancer to my dishes, I as good as don't eat process foods these days.

One major tip if most of you don't know it already, get a nutribullet, it is the best appliance in my kitchen by far. If I start to go a few pound off my ideal weight, and as it goes I am way over my best weight at the moment due to ill family members and my Mum recently passing away and the stress that goes with it, that bit of kit gets me back on course with ease. I am actually using it a lot now, feeling great, but the running has a long way to go yet.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Everyone knows you don't need to exercise at all to lose weight. Diet is the most important thing, but running for a while and generally just being more active WILL help. I'm not sure what you mean by cardio,
    Cardiovascular exercise using slow twitch muscles
    but if it's the heart rate zones it will mostly just increase your endurance, but lower the intensity and you will burn more fat. You'll also be able to run longer.
    Literally that is true, however lower intensity means less calories burned and the calories burned from fat will also be lower than doing a moderate intensity exercise for the same duration.
    When it's stated that it burns a "higher" percentage of fat per calorie, it's true, however if it's a low calorie burn (say 150 for 60 minutes of walking) you aren't talking a high amount of calories burned. If the percentage is 40% that's 60 calories from that walk. Eating back 6 grams of fat in one's diet would replenish that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    9uzv272bclui.gif
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lord007 wrote: »
    While the OP is correct, it's a bit misleading. One should do 20+ minutes of cardio to be fat burning. Up to the 20 minute mark (approximately), you're basically burning off the sugars stored in your blood and muscle lining. the general statement is correct that if you are at a consistent calorie deficit, you will lose fat.
    Broscience. While longer duration (if the intensity is low enough) will revert to a higher percentage of fat being burned over glycogen, it would take an EXTREME amount of exercise to burn of the glycogen stores in your body. Even ELITE ATHLETES don't do it. And if one really did deplete ALL of their glycogen stores, they'd likely be on the ground convulsing. Seen it live on TV on an Ironman comp on ESPN.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    While the OP is correct, it's a bit misleading. One should do 20+ minutes of cardio to be fat burning. Up to the 20 minute mark (approximately), you're basically burning off the sugars stored in your blood and muscle lining. the general statement is correct that if you are at a consistent calorie deficit, you will lose fat.
    Broscience. While longer duration (if the intensity is low enough) will revert to a higher percentage of fat being burned over glycogen, it would take an EXTREME amount of exercise to burn of the glycogen stores in your body. Even ELITE ATHLETES don't do it. And if one really did deplete ALL of their glycogen stores, they'd likely be on the ground convulsing. Seen it live on TV on an Ironman comp on ESPN.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Honest question- Does this mean that one should do lower intensity cardio for a longer duration to help preserve LBM while losing?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Honest question- Does this mean that one should do lower intensity cardio for a longer duration to help preserve LBM while losing?

@ninerbuff - should have tagged you initially.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If one's TDEE is say 2000 and they eat 2000, they would NOT lose fat. Reduce intake by 250 calories and fat loss will happen. The body usually has to be in deficit to lose fat.

If that same person who's TDEE is 2000, ate 2000 calories, and burned 500 calories doing cardio....would they lose fat?

why is that even a question ....? [/quote]

Because this whole thread is making it sound like cardio won't make you lose fat, but in that case if the only thing that person changed was adding cardio, they would lose fat. It's misleading. Of course you can lose weight/fat without exercising at all. [/quote]

I agree with the bolded. I lost probably 50 lbs several years ago just walking and working out at the gym. I didn't change my diet at all. Obviously all the walking and workout calories put me in a deficit, so I would say that yes, working out and/or doing cardio will make you lose weight ( as long as you don't increase food intake). Drives me nuts when I see people say you won't lose weight with exercise. I did it.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cardio is for fitness but also to expend calories which could create a deficit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Food = weight loss
    Working out = fitness

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@n1cholee93
    At a weight of 140lbs running a distance of 6 miles would burn over 500 cals.
    Alternatively walk 12 miles.

The far bigger problem than exercise calories is food logging inaccuracy. A small drift on a much larger number is far more significant.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    lizlemon4 wrote: »
    People these days eat straight up crap. Chips, soda, hot dogs, McDonald's, and everything else. Never a veggie or a fruit oh how about some old fashioned water and a good run around the block. Take account for the things you consume or they will consume you with obesity and disease.

I can bring my example if it can be of use: for the last 10 years i eliminated all that. My diet was based on fruits veggie nuts grains seeds plant derived food, no dairy except for a glass milk a day (my beloved cappuccino) no soda whatsoever no alcohol. No meat and fish very rarely. But i didn't loose a pound. I did not gain either but did not loose! I didn't have to loose much, 10 pounds or so but nothing. So I realized now that probably I was eating too much even though it was all healthy stuff. For example by calorie counting i realize now that my healthy smoothies were also very caloric! On the good side I can say that I don't have a flu or a cold since 8 /9 years!!! And my blood exams are always perfect. But this is only my story. For istance the first week i started the calorie counting i noticed i assumed too little protein so i add a protein shake homemade and only this ranges 350/400 calorie! But even if i didn't have to loose weight i would never eat those foods i think my last full meal at mc donalds is10 years ago! (But i had fries about 6 months ago have to be honest) few years back instead i cut down and went on strict diet and in about 6 months i lost a lot! Maybe too much but i was really eating little especially at night. But I was also miserable that period! So whatever i lost i got it back because that kind of regimen was unsustainable and unrealistic.

We'll see how it goes im on the plan only 2 weeks.