Does steam bath/ hot sauna help in reducing fat??

Options

Replies

• minniesb69
    minniesb69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow. With the vitriol in some of these posts I feel like I'm at a Donald Trump rally. I have an idea. Rather than give people a hard time because you don't like their sources, how about a little common sense, your own research, and some respect?

"The appeal of saunas in general is that they cause reactions, such as vigorous sweating and increased heart rate, similar to those elicited by moderate exercise." (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/infrared-sauna/faq-20057954)

"Metabolism is the process by which your body converts what you eat and drink into energy. During this complex biochemical process, calories in food and beverages are combined with oxygen to release the energy your body needs to function... In addition to your basal metabolic rate, two other factors determine how many calories your body burns each day: Food processing (thermogenesis), Physical activity.... While it is true that some people seem to be able to lose weight more quickly and more easily than others, everyone will lose weight when they burn up more calories than they eat. Therefore, to lose weight, you need to create an energy deficit by eating fewer calories or increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity or both." (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/metabolism/art-20046508).

I'm a medical professional. After my years of professional training, while I don't know everything, there are some things I do know, and one of them is that in increased temperatures, your heart rate often increases to try to cool your body down. Yes, you do sweat more (and lose water weight), but your body is also burning more calories. As the Mayo Clinic pointed out, "Even when you're at rest, your body needs energy for all its "hidden" functions, such as breathing, circulating blood, adjusting hormone levels, and growing and repairing cells. The number of calories your body uses to carry out these basic functions is known as your basal metabolic rate — what you might call metabolism". If you are burning calories even at rest, then surely you are burning more when your energy needs are increased (ie, increased heart rate, etc,).

NOW BEFORE ALL THE QUICK TO JUDGE START BASHING - Do not misunderstand what anybody is saying. Yes, just living burns calories, but if you intake more calories than you consume, you aren't going to lose weight. While the sauna may help burn a FEW calories, if you are looking for more beneficial and substantial weight loss, then increase your physical exercise and decrease your calories.

But to answer your original question, yes, the sauna does help burn calories, which will help burn fat.

But if you want to want to argue for the sake of argueing, then have fun at the Trump rally.

You are a breath of fresh air...
    They are going to get you about that "burn fat" comment tho. Lol
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    minniesb69 wrote: »
    Saunas increase the heart rate which increases oxygen which burns calories.

That's backwards. Heart rate correlates to calorie expenditure if heart rate is increasing because of an increased demand for oxygen due to increased cellular respiration. However, when heart rate increases for other reasons, in this example to increase heat transfer, that isn't true.

Essentially, your argument is the logical fallacy known as affirming the consequent. The argument essentially boils down to:
    1: If metabolic demand is high, heart rate is high
    2: Heart rate is high
    3: Therefore, metabolic demand is high

The fallacy is the same as this one:
    1: If I'm taking a shower, I am wet
    2: I am wet
    3: Therefore, I am taking a shower

Clearly the premise does not follow from the conclusion (I might be wet because I'm in the rain, or swimming, etc.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why are people so up in arms about this?! lol
    Because the OP asked. Passing on misinformation to people who read it should be addressed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Op asked about saunas burning fat...i said nothing about saunas burning fat. Im asking why are ppl up in arms about the points I made.
    I speaking of other info (toxins, calories sigficantly burned, etc.)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• minniesb69
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

That's backwards. Heart rate correlates to calorie expenditure if heart rate is increasing because of an increased demand for oxygen due to increased cellular respiration. However, when heart rate increases for other reasons, in this example to increase heat transfer, that isn't true.

Essentially, your argument is the logical fallacy known as affirming the consequent. The argument essentially boils down to:

Clearly the premise does not follow from the conclusion (I might be wet because I'm in the rain, or swimming, etc.)

Good grief. I posted an article that explains it. My order is correct just simplified because too many words confuses ppl.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Wow. With the vitriol in some of these posts I feel like I'm at a Donald Trump rally. I have an idea. Rather than give people a hard time because you don't like their sources, how about a little common sense, your own research, and some respect?

"The appeal of saunas in general is that they cause reactions, such as vigorous sweating and increased heart rate, similar to those elicited by moderate exercise." (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/infrared-sauna/faq-20057954)

"Metabolism is the process by which your body converts what you eat and drink into energy. During this complex biochemical process, calories in food and beverages are combined with oxygen to release the energy your body needs to function... In addition to your basal metabolic rate, two other factors determine how many calories your body burns each day: Food processing (thermogenesis), Physical activity.... While it is true that some people seem to be able to lose weight more quickly and more easily than others, everyone will lose weight when they burn up more calories than they eat. Therefore, to lose weight, you need to create an energy deficit by eating fewer calories or increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity or both." (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/metabolism/art-20046508).

I'm a medical professional. After my years of professional training, while I don't know everything, there are some things I do know, and one of them is that in increased temperatures, your heart rate often increases to try to cool your body down. Yes, you do sweat more (and lose water weight), but your body is also burning more calories. As the Mayo Clinic pointed out, "Even when you're at rest, your body needs energy for all its "hidden" functions, such as breathing, circulating blood, adjusting hormone levels, and growing and repairing cells. The number of calories your body uses to carry out these basic functions is known as your basal metabolic rate — what you might call metabolism". If you are burning calories even at rest, then surely you are burning more when your energy needs are increased (ie, increased heart rate, etc,).

NOW BEFORE ALL THE QUICK TO JUDGE START BASHING - Do not misunderstand what anybody is saying. Yes, just living burns calories, but if you intake more calories than you consume, you aren't going to lose weight. While the sauna may help burn a FEW calories, if you are looking for more beneficial and substantial weight loss, then increase your physical exercise and decrease your calories.

But to answer your original question, yes, the sauna does help burn calories, which will help burn fat.

But if you want to want to argue for the sake of argueing, then have fun at the Trump rally.

No vitriol, just pointing out loads of misinformation and now we your loads misinformation which is full of malarky.
  • rankinsect
    edited March 2016
    Options

Good grief. I posted an article that explains it. My order is correct just simplified because too many words confuses ppl.

I read both of the articles. Neither of them says what you think they say.

Article 1 says, basically, "when exercising, your heart rate predicts calories burned". And that's true, but again it comes down to why it's true - increased calorie burn causes increased heart rate, not vice versa. That's why you're affirming the consequent - "If P then Q" is not logically equivalent to "If Q then P".

Article 2 says, basically, that saunas increase heart rate. It is implying there may be some small cardiovascular health benefits to a sauna (by making your heart beat faster, it may strengthen the heart). It doesn't state or imply that a sauna has calorie burning benefits.
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Whaaa? Lol. Come on. This is very basic stuff. It's not the sauna itself its the act of sweating, open pores get cleared out whenever u sweat. Thats detoxing.
    No it's not. You won't find any toxins in sweat because the body doesn't produce it nor stores it.
    My skin has a healthy glow after each sauna session.
    Anecdotes aren't evidence.
    Body temp increase means heart rate increases...increased heart rate is increased calorie burn. It's not like im saying its a miracle worker...just the opposite, its basic biology. You wont lose more weight but there are proven benefits. I can provide credible sources if needed but I've seen no credible source disprove what I learned in middle school.
    The increase in heart rate doesn't mean calorie burn is significant. Heart rate increases during a scary movie. Are there any proven benefits to letting get your heart rate up to watch them?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1. Toxins are in the body. You need to read up.
    No they aren't. A toxin is a poison "produced" by an organism (like snake venom). Something can become "toxic" if dosage is high enough. So drinking too much water in a short period of time can be toxic to the body. Waste products ridded by the body aren't "toxins". Take a physiology/biology college course and you'll find out.
    2. What you call ancedotes are my personal facts and they are legit.
    That's kinda like saying "I saw Bigfoot" in my personal experience, so it's gotta be legit.
    3. You are saying the same thing i am about calories burned in the sauna. Why is it so hard for ppl to understand that I'm NOT saying its a weight loss tool or an efficient way to burn calories?
    Please stop. I'm typing and breathing. I'm burning calories. Just saying it "burns calories" is disingenuous. Living and doing ANYTHING we do burns calories. Your main intent was to try to convince that saunas burn more calories then say, playing the piano. Guess what? Not.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• minniesb69
    Options

Article 1 says, basically, "when exercising, your heart rate predicts calories burned". And that's true, but again it comes down to why it's true - increased calorie burn causes increased heart rate, not vice versa. That's why you're affirming the consequent - "If P then Q" is not logically equivalent to "If Q then P".

Article 2 says, basically, that saunas increase heart rate. It is implying there may be some small cardiovascular health benefits to a sauna (by making your heart beat faster, it may strengthen the heart). It doesn't state or imply that a sauna has calorie burning benefits.

I read both articles and they each make a different point that I needed to illustrate. As far as your order of operations for heart rate and calorie burn..fine. I disagree but ok. I dont feel like going thru my links to find the exact article that gave the order but I do know that oxygen isnt transported without a heartbeat and calories are burned without the needed oxygen.
    Who cares what caused the heart rate increase the rest doesnt happen until after the increase.
    Thats my final take on this. Im worn out
  • minniesb69
    Options
    Whaaa? Lol. Come on. This is very basic stuff. It's not the sauna itself its the act of sweating, open pores get cleared out whenever u sweat. Thats detoxing.
    No it's not. You won't find any toxins in sweat because the body doesn't produce it nor stores it.
    Body temp increase means heart rate increases...increased heart rate is increased calorie burn. It's not like im saying its a miracle worker...just the opposite, its basic biology. You wont lose more weight but there are proven benefits. I can provide credible sources if needed but I've seen no credible source disprove what I learned in middle school.
    The increase in heart rate doesn't mean calorie burn is significant. Heart rate increases during a scary movie. Are there any proven benefits to letting get your heart rate up to watch them?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No they aren't. A toxin is a poison "produced" by an organism (like snake venom). Something can become "toxic" if dosage is high enough. So drinking too much water in a short period of time can be toxic to the body. Waste products ridded by the body aren't "toxins". Take a physiology/biology college course and you'll find out.
    That's kinda like saying "I saw Bigfoot" in my personal experience, so it's gotta be legit.
    3. You are saying the same thing i am about calories burned in the sauna. Why is it so hard for ppl to understand that I'm NOT saying its a weight loss tool or an efficient way to burn calories?
    Please stop. I'm typing and breathing. I'm burning calories. Just saying it "burns calories" is disingenuous. Living and doing ANYTHING we do burns calories. Your main intent was to try to convince that saunas burn more calories then say, playing the piano. Guess what? Not.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No where in my post have I been disingenuous. I stated what I meant and I've stuck with it throughout. I even said calories are burned by living JUST LIKE YOU JUST SAID but ppl chose to pick over my words. You are doing the same thing, picking over my words, it matters not that you are saying the same thing I am.

Re: everything else...just ugh.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2016
    Options

Cleaning the bathroom burns calories. Should this be mentioned as a form of calorie burning? Because it DOES burn calories. Especially after the shower was just running so the steam in there will even increase it more. ;)

We're not dumb. We know you'll always burn calories, even in a sauna. By why re enforce that it's something that could be construed as "significant"?

Part of the reason people don't understand how weight loss works and all the misinformation on it, is because of bad information being passed on. What's great about this site is that it gets challenged and debated especially if incorrect. And if something is being claimed, it's the burden of the stater to provide a legitimate source for evidence. That's how debate works.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rankinsect
    Options

I read both articles and they each make a different point that I needed to illustrate. As far as your order of operations for heart rate and calorie burn..fine. I disagree but ok. I dont feel like going thru my links to find the exact article that gave the order but I do know that oxygen isnt transported without a heartbeat and calories are burned without the needed oxygen.
    Who cares what caused the heart rate increase the rest doesnt happen until after the increase.
    Thats my final take on this. Im worn out

Yes, oxygen is transported by a heartbeat and a greater cardiac output does make a greater amount of oxygen available to the tissue - BUT that doesn't mean the cells actually use additional oxygen for increased metabolism. In the exercise case, they use oxygen because the cells have their internal energy stores (ATP) rapidly being depleted by use of the muscle, so they demand more oxygen to regenerate ATP from ADP. The increased demand for oxygen reduces the oxygen content of the blood, and the heart and lungs respond to the drop in blood oxygenation by increasing oxygen delivery.

However, when you're just sitting down being sedentary, your body doesn't use anywhere close to the full amount of oxygen it already has available. When resting, even the "oxygen poor" blood returning to your lungs still has about 80% of its oxygen left - only about one-fifth of the oxygen being circulated by your blood is actually used at rest. Increasing cardiac output won't increase metabolism, because your cells don't have any need for any more energy.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Starting last November at my doc's orders I was doing some pretty heavy physio therapy for a lower back issue (two discs were compressing) in a health centre called Mondorf in Luxembourg. At Mondorf they also have several thermal baths and 10 or so sauna cabins (at every temperature imaginable), they even have a hammam.

Twice a week I would go and do 75 minutes of physio/strength training and then soak in the thermal bath for 45 minutes at least.

I am pretty sure the fat loss I experienced over this 12 week period was due to the MFP calorie counting and the strength training but, man or man, that sauna helped me so much! It was like bath therapy!!

I even dropped a bathing suit size in those 12 weeks. So, I love saunas an I still go now - but only twice a month.
    Do it it you can!
  • FamedSuperPanda
    FamedSuperPanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes it can aid in weight loss as part of a stress reduction strategy. Steam baths along with some deep breathing can be relaxing and a great stress reducer.

Stress causes excess levels of the hormone cortisol which when chronically elevated has been associated with weight gain. Cortisol is also the hormone associated with moving fat to your belly. There are many studies on it but here is one for example. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18198314

Meditation is one of many ways to reduce your cortisol balance so go for it and use this time to reset and refresh! Here is an example of one study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1801007

Hope this helps!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yes it can aid in weight loss as part of a stress reduction strategy. Steam baths along with some deep breathing can be relaxing and a great stress reducer.

Stress causes excess levels of the hormone cortisol which when chronically elevated has been associated with weight gain. Cortisol is also the hormone associated with moving fat to your belly. There are many studies on it but here is one for example. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18198314

Meditation is one of many ways to reduce your cortisol balance so go for it and use this time to reset and refresh! Here is an example of one study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1801007

Hope this helps!
    Cortisol is also released during exercise, but not correlated with adding belly fat. And sorry, but I saw no "cortisol is also the hormone associated with moving fat to your belly" in the ncbi study. Please highlight it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• FamedSuperPanda
    FamedSuperPanda Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hope this helps!
    Cortisol is also released during exercise, but not correlated with adding belly fat. And sorry, but I saw no "cortisol is also the hormone associated with moving fat to your belly" in the ncbi study. Please highlight it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sure, there are many studies that correlate cortisol, stress, and abdominal fat. Here's one example: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/11/001120072314.htm
    And yes, cortisol can spike during workouts so all the more reason to relax afterwards!

[/quote]

• ninerbuff
    Options

Hope this helps!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sure, there are many studies that correlate cortisol, stress, and abdominal fat. Here's one example: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/11/001120072314.htm
    And yes, cortisol can spike during workouts so all the more reason to relax afterwards!
    Yes. But since the abdominal area is one of the premier areas of fat storage for both males and females, this correlation isn't that legit. We all know that CALORIE SURPLUS is the main factor for fat gain and not necessarily cortisol. Or else there would only be flat stomached yoga attendees.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Again, Im not saying a person can go from fat to flat using a sauna. That is ridiculous. I'm saying sauna's detoxify the skin & increases the heart rate which burns calories.

You said increased heart rate=higher calorie burn

And this is true. While in a sauna heart rate increases due to temp change which increases oxygen and burns a small amount of calories. Please find a source that says this is not correct.

If your heart rate goes up because you're hot, that means you're suffering from heat stroke, and need to seek medical attention.

Sweating (Your body's only cooling mechanism) doesn't burn additional calories, beyond your BMR. All it does it (Via a chemical process) open your sweat glands, to allow water to pass (And urea, and salts, and some other stuff). It uses very little of any energy pathways.
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    Again, Im not saying a person can go from fat to flat using a sauna. That is ridiculous. I'm saying sauna's detoxify the skin & increases the heart rate which burns calories.

You said increased heart rate=higher calorie burn

Did I ever say "higher calorie burn"? If I did I can see how that was misinterpreted. If I stated this it means overall. As in, in addition to what you already burned. I didnt mean it as saunas burn alot of calories. I've stated several times that it doesnt.

So really, your initial post which said "it detoxifies skin and burns calories" should have had one of those little * next to it, with a disclaimer that said [*extra calories burns are minimal and will not contribute to fat loss]?

See your initial post, given that it is in response to someone asking if a sauna will reduce fat, can only really be interpreted as you saying yes it would, because it burns 'extra' calories.

But I didnt say it reduces fat...I said it detoxifies skin and burns calories. It can only be interpreted as exactly what I said...it detoxifies and burns calories. Thats is what I'm still saying. I even said it doesnt work for weightloss. I said time and time again that its minimal. I still dont get why ppl got all riled up. Maybe people shouldnt assume.

If you think depositing salts and urea on your skin "detoxifies" it, I suggest try peeing on yourself instead (Essentially what sweat is, sweat just has a lower urea concentration).
  • coreyreichle
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If you have toxins in your body, you should seek medical help because your kidneys and liver have failed, or you're suffering from heavy metal contamination.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!