Squats made them bulky...

Options

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I've been putting off all this "lifting" talk because I don't know where to start. But my God, I have to get with the program. That's the difference between having a butt and having an *kitten*....I want an *kitten* like that!

Do you belong to a gym or have access to one? I didn't know where to start either. My gym has group weight classes that are set to music and use a barbell. If it wasn't for this class, then I'd have no idea what to do either! You should check out what is available in your area if you're truly interested.
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options

null_zps7c290a4d.png

/swoon

Works out in pink push up bra while checking her self out...kindred spirits.
    10/10 want that *kitten*.

:laugh:
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I've been putting off all this "lifting" talk because I don't know where to start. But my God, I have to get with the program. That's the difference between having a butt and having an *kitten*....I want an *kitten* like that!

Do you belong to a gym or have access to one? I didn't know where to start either. My gym has group weight classes that are set to music and use a barbell. If it wasn't for this class, then I'd have no idea what to do either! You should check out what is available in your area if you're truly interested.

I wanted to drop some tons first before I truly started looking into it :laugh: I do have access to some equipment at the gym at my work, but have no idea how to use it. I will have to get someone to show me the basics because I do feel I'm ready to step it up a bit.
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I suggest you stick to elliptical machines and small 5lb weights.

null_zps1352c1f3.png

Squatting on a smith machine...
    Such an awful Idea, hope no one ITT gets any ideas.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Buuuuuut I don't want a bulky behind! :sad: bones and jiggly puffs for me :p:love:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Everyone has something that works for them. That was my point. I know cardio doesn't always work for everyone but everyone is different and to keep posting repetitive threads is pointless imo.

It's only pointless to people who don't want to hear it. Correcting misinformation is important, and the absurd idea that women are going to end up looking like men if they lift heavy weights is all over the place. There are new people joining this site all the time who have swallowed this notion that if they even look at an Olympic bar, they'll grow huge thighs. It's not that they don't WANT to lift weights; it's they're severely misinformed about what lifting does for the body.

I get multiple messages every single day from women who have read my profile (wherein I make my affinity for lifting pretty freaking clear) and have seen my before and after photos, and they can't believe that I lift heavy weights and eat lots of real food and have somehow managed not to grow a penis. A lot of them write me back after a few weeks and tell me how much they love lifting. That alone makes it clear that we need MORE of these threads in the main forums, not less. It is most definitely not pointless, and if it truly didn't matter to you, you wouldn't have even opened this thread, let alone bothered to post in it.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I get multiple messages every single day from women who have read my profile (wherein I make my affinity for lifting pretty freaking clear) and have seen my before and after photos, and they can't believe that I lift heavy weights and eat lots of real food and have somehow managed not to grow a penis.

Was this point really necessary?
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Everyone has something that works for them. That was my point. I know cardio doesn't always work for everyone but everyone is different and to keep posting repetitive threads is pointless imo.

It's only pointless to people who don't want to hear it. Correcting misinformation is important, and the absurd idea that women are going to end up looking like men if they lift heavy weights is all over the place. There are new people joining this site all the time who have swallowed this notion that if they even look at an Olympic bar, they'll grow huge thighs. It's not that they don't WANT to lift weights; it's they're severely misinformed about what lifting does for the body.

I get multiple messages every single day from women who have read my profile (wherein I make my affinity for lifting pretty freaking clear) and have seen my before and after photos, and they can't believe that I lift heavy weights and eat lots of real food and have somehow managed not to grow a penis. A lot of them write me back after a few weeks and tell me how much they love lifting. That alone makes it clear that we need MORE of these threads in the main forums, not less. It is most definitely not pointless, and if it truly didn't matter to you, you wouldn't have even opened this thread, let alone bothered to post in it.

You and your logic.
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I just did day 11 of the 30 day squat challenge (110 squats). Their bottoms make me feel so unaccomplished. :laugh:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Big round butts! Yeah!!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I get multiple messages every single day from women who have read my profile (wherein I make my affinity for lifting pretty freaking clear) and have seen my before and after photos, and they can't believe that I lift heavy weights and eat lots of real food and have somehow managed not to grow a penis.

Was this point really necessary?

Well when you take it out of context like that, no. The point was that it's clear, based on the PMs I receive, that this stuff needs more open discussion on the forums.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Wow........perfection.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Okay, time to find a gym with a squat rack or buy one. My 30 lb dumbells obviously aren't cutting it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Eh... some people like muscle definition, others don't.

I think the ones that say they do not want to get bulky misuse the term. For me, I don't want a ton of muscle definintion, but that doesn't mean I don't want muscle.

I think these threads could stop any day and it wouldn't hurt my feelings any. let the cardio bunnies be cardio bunnies, let the lifters be lifters and let the ones that don't want to work out not work out.

I honestly couldn't care less, also be honest..majority of the women who have lost a lot of weight and who have seen amazing results due to heavy lifting did a lot of cardio prior to starting to lift. Everyone always seems to forget that part.

I was doing a ton of cardio (2 hours a day, six days per week - not the best time in my life!) and my weight loss stalled until I started lifting and cut down on the cardio. Now I do both.

You need to relax. I'm fairly certain that the original posting was done lightheartedly.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Not everyone's rear will look that nice. Part of that is genetics. Now I'm not satying you can't get a better, firmer, more lifted butt, but a little of this is false advertising. Should be a warning label: Actual results may vary. (Especially when using a Smith machine). Though a smith machine is better than no squats at all IMO.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Saw OPs name was Sweaty_N_Hung. Ran to his profile to FR him. Saw his name was Sweaty_N_Hungry.

Can I sue for false advertising?

HAHAHA the best reply I have ever seen on here.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    mother of....................
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    I suggest you stick to elliptical machines and small 5lb weights.

null_zpse8a1bf33.png
    null_zps7c290a4d.png
    null_zps1352c1f3.png

Can. Stop. Looking.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Just want to quote this for total truth. I came back to MFP at the end of April, ready to get back on the wagon, and saw threads about women not only lifting but lifting heavy. I see these women with these amazingly strong and feminine bodies, lifting more than my weight and looking fab while doing so. To me this was a totally out there concept.

I was even in the military and women didn't lift weights (I mean, some did but we all thought they were weird) I was at my smallest then but while I was thin I wasn't 'strong'! I didn't have muscle tone, beyond what was in my legs from all that running. My boy was 'fine' then but I never really liked it, let alone loved it. But the women with the heavy lifting success stories are everything I've ever wanted to be but didn't know how to go about achiveing. They're my idea of sexy and more than that they had real strength, which is a whole added level of amazing in my eyes.

If not for MFP I wouldn't know anything about heavy lifting. If people didn't beat this horse, I'd still be running my *kitten* off and wondering why I'm still not happy. I've only lost 9 pounds but I've gone from a tight 10 to a loose 8, I'm firmly back in medium tops and dresses and I'm happier than I've ever been with my body, and as a side note my husband is constantly telling me constantly how sexy I am.

If even one other woman stumbles across a thread like this one and is inspired I say someone should make a new one every day.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    So. Gross.

<skips to gym to do some stronglifts>