How do you feel about veganism?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You should ask yourself how many sport starts are vegan? Probably slightly less than 1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Just out of interest for those Vegans on here posting about how bad it is to kill animals for meat? Is it only the big animals you care about?
    Lots of farms will kill rabbits, deer, moles, mice etc to protect their food crops. Not all "traps" will be nice and quick deaths for the animals.
    So unless you are someone who only eats what you grow personally, there is still going to be the death of animals to ensure that you get the food you want.
    Personally, I don't care what other people like to eat.

Not to mention the insects, fungi, etc. that die via pesticides used in growing plants for food.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest for those Vegans on here posting about how bad it is to kill animals for meat? Is it only the big animals you care about?
    Lots of farms will kill rabbits, deer, moles, mice etc to protect their food crops. Not all "traps" will be nice and quick deaths for the animals.
    So unless you are someone who only eats what you grow personally, there is still going to be the death of animals to ensure that you get the food you want.

Not to mention the insects, fungi, etc. that die via pesticides used in growing plants for food.

or of course if you are so worried about the plight of the animals, the amount of habitats which are destroyed so that farms can have the plots of land they require to grow the various crops.

It really is simple, for the human race to eat, animals will be killed. Either directly for the food or for the space to grow and protect the crops.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

or of course if you are so worried about the plight of the animals, the amount of habitats which are destroyed so that farms can have the plots of land they require to grow the various crops.

It really is simple, for the human race to eat, animals will be killed. Either directly for the food or for the space to grow and protect the crops.

Quite true. I guess it's easier to ignore when you aren't eating the flesh.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    You should ask yourself how many sport starts are vegan? Probably slightly less than 1

What?? Why would that matter?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    cronus70 wrote: »
    I'm doing my part to help maintain the healthy levels of cattle in this country......

I honestly don't know if this means you eat meat or not. I'm guessing yes.

Interesting perspective. In a parallel universe where the whole world becomes vegan, what happens to the animals? Having been domesticated for so long, would they survive in the wild? Would we blame ourselves for their near extinction? Would the omnivore minority be making sensationalized propaganda ridden documentaries depicting the now wild animals suffering with disease, starving and dying that start with a close-up shot of a waif young animal standing next to its dying mother?

Many of the animals commonly eaten would die without humans some would not. Pigs have been known to escape and live in the wild. But I doubt a chicken would make it through the night.

Have you ever been to the Hawaiian Islands?

I have not. I googled it though and that is pretty crazy. It appears some regions can and do support a wild chicken population.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Off the top of my head, Scott Jurek, one of the best ultramarathon runners in the world. Being vegan doesn't mean you can't have a totally balanced diet with all the required macros. It might take a bit more effort to get them all but it is very doable.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Google is your friend.

Prince Fielder, Venus Williams, Mac Danzig, Hannah Teeter, and Carl Lewis identify themselves as being on a plant-based diet. Scott Jurek, one of the superstars of ultra running, is a long-time vegan (including when he set his multiple records in the sport).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Off the top of my head, Scott Jurek, one of the best ultramarathon runners in the world. Being vegan doesn't mean you can't have a totally balanced diet with all the required macros. It might take a bit more effort to get them all but it is very doable.

Yeah, I'm not vegan (and have no plans to be a sports star) but there are definitely some examples. Rich Roll and Brendan Brazier are a couple of others.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options

Google 'vegan athlete'? Fiona Oakes' achievements are pretty amazing.

greatveganathletes.com/fiona-oakes-vegan-marathon-runner