How do you feel about veganism?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how the position that the lives and suffering of animals in agriculture matter doesn't relate to veganism.

Really? Because one doesn't have to be vegan to care about or alleviate that suffering.

Theoretically, I guess you're right. In reality, it's very difficult to source animal products that don't involve supporting practices like slaughter of "spent" animals, separation of mothers from their young, or the culling/slaughter of "unnecessary" males. I find it hard to reconcile "caring" with support of these practices. Others may use another definition and find it easier to reconcile.

As we've discussed in another thread, the actual act of consuming an egg or drinking a glass of milk doesn't contribute to animal suffering, but finding an egg or milk that doesn't support these processes can be very challenging.

Agreed. It is expensive and challenging, but can also be rewarding.

The cost and the lack of access (there is no place where I live that offers eggs and milk that are free from some type of slaughter) make veganism a much more practical option for people who are unwilling to support these practices.

We must all seek reward in whatever manner we see fit.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian. Meaning I am a vegetarian only I eat seafood as my only meat source (if you want to call it meat, that's debatable).

I learned something new today. So basically anything from the ocean is fair game? What about freshwater fish, clams, etc? I am not writing this to be snarky... I really want to know :)

Yup.

So do they eat dauphins and whales?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The Book of Daniel says it's better than Atkins.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian. Meaning I am a vegetarian only I eat seafood as my only meat source (if you want to call it meat, that's debatable).

I learned something new today. So basically anything from the ocean is fair game? What about freshwater fish, clams, etc? I am not writing this to be snarky... I really want to know :)

Yup.

I think it would depend on one's rationale for adopting pescetarianism.

If it is about thinking fish are somehow different from other animals (that they don't suffer as much as other animals do, for example), you would probably avoid dolphins and whales because they aren't exactly fish -- they're mammals who live in the water.

If it's about just wanting to eat things that live in the sea and not on land, sure.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yup.

That would be like saying "You eat meat, therefore you eat bear, cougar, beaver etc....". Some cultures eat whale---Japan. We eat ocean fish, fresh water fish, clams, mussels, shrimp, prawns, lobster, tuna, salmon, salt cod, the list goes on...... It's pretty much normal for us. I do alot of pasta with seafood.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yup.

Isn't that a bit like asking "Do they eat beetroot?" of a vegan? It's not as if every pescatarian eats the exact same diet.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    That would be like saying "You eat meat, therefore you eat bear, cougar, beaver etc....". .

I'm vegan...but I've dabbled in beaver eating... :D

• cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my part to help maintain the healthy levels of cattle in this country......
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    That would be like saying "You eat meat, therefore you eat bear, cougar, beaver etc....". .

I'm vegan...but I've dabbled in beaver eating... :D

Careful when you "dabble" in bear eating. ;)
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like the ideas behind it, but it doesn't work well for everyone. You've got to get a lot of info before starting it. I tried veganism while in college and I didn't do my research before jumping into it. I dropped weight really quickly, but I wasn't getting the nutrients and calories I needed for all of the running I did, and eventually was diagnosed with an eating disorder. Just make sure you're being safe about it and try to speak with a nutritionist before you continue limiting your food intake.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    I'm doing my part to help maintain the healthy levels of cattle in this country......

I honestly don't know if this means you eat meat or not. I'm guessing yes.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    If you're vegan and it's working for you, great.
    My choice is not to do that because even if I decided to do without meat, I love cheese and every type of fake cheese I've tried (and I've tried a LOT because my wife is lactose intolerant) sucks. I can't skip cheese.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    For me, especially where I live, veganism is way to expensive. If you want to pay $15 for a small frozen vegan pizza, sure it's a healthy option vs. regular pizza. But there aren't many options here where I live in the vegan world and most of them are over priced. I'm a pescetarian. Meaning I am a vegetarian only I eat seafood as my only meat source (if you want to call it meat, that's debatable). Doing so I still have troubles getting enough protein but it's pretty healthy and the fish contains great omega nutrients. I feel bad about eating fish, but I feel like it's more humane than the meat industry and it's healthier than the other meats as well. I've been on this diet since I was about 11 or 12. I am now 28. I used to call it vegetarianism only I'd say but I'm not as strict. I eat seafood still. But they finally came up with a name for it. I hate that it sounds like pest. But it's because Pisces means fish...or something like that...for me Pescetarianism is the way to go. But to each their own!

But you don't have to have a small frozen vegan pizza. You can just have a regular pizza (most places have a vegan crust and sauce option), hold the cheese, add vegetables.

Vegans don't have to eat special "vegan" foods.

I spend about $25 a week for groceries unless I decide to buy something special. I buy 99% of my food at a regular grocery store. It isn't "vegan" stuff. It's just food that doesn't have animal products.

Vegans, just like non-vegans, can choose to buy fancy, expensive, pre-made foods. Or they can choose not to.

Same here! Plus, we're lucky and have a big produce store nearby, and it's way less expensive than the grocery store. I get a nice little workout carrying around several pounds of produce and usually spend around $12 for them. One thing that has really helped me a lot is learning to cook and bake stuff that I once had only purchased as pre-made items. It is definitely more time-consuming, but well worth it to me, and I've even come to enjoy it very much.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have no problem with vegans, vegetarian or meat eaters! In fact all my family and friends eat me but me.

Sounds painful... ;)

• JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For me, especially where I live, veganism is way to expensive. If you want to pay $15 for a small frozen vegan pizza, sure it's a healthy option vs. regular pizza. But there aren't many options here where I live in the vegan world and most of them are over priced. I'm a pescetarian. Meaning I am a vegetarian only I eat seafood as my only meat source (if you want to call it meat, that's debatable). Doing so I still have troubles getting enough protein but it's pretty healthy and the fish contains great omega nutrients. I feel bad about eating fish, but I feel like it's more humane than the meat industry and it's healthier than the other meats as well. I've been on this diet since I was about 11 or 12. I am now 28. I used to call it vegetarianism only I'd say but I'm not as strict. I eat seafood still. But they finally came up with a name for it. I hate that it sounds like pest. But it's because Pisces means fish...or something like that...for me Pescetarianism is the way to go. But to each their own!

What makes a frozen vegan pizza healthier than any other frozen pizza?

It's healthier because they use non-milk cheese (made from almonds and such) meaning no milk. The FDA in the US needs much more strict regulations considering the amount of puss, antibiotics, and hormones they are legally allowed to leave in the milk when they release it to the masses for sales and consumption. Also the other frozen pizzas contain preservatives and processed meats which are no good. Not to scare you. I still get down to eating some frozen tostino's pizza every once in a while. But it's good to know not to put this in your body very often if you are wanting to be healthy .

• tryin2die2self
    Options

Yup.

Isn't that a bit like asking "Do they eat beetroot?" of a vegan? It's not as if every pescatarian eats the exact same diet.

Very true. It may not be to that particular person's tastes. BUT Beetroot is still on the menu, even if they choose not to partake.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yup.

Very true. It may not be to that particular person's tastes. BUT Beetroot is still on the menu, even if they choose not to partake.

Well you've already been told that seafood is on the menu. Are you asking about eating sea mammals?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »

I honestly don't know if this means you eat meat or not. I'm guessing yes.

Interesting perspective. In a parallel universe where the whole world becomes vegan, what happens to the animals? Having been domesticated for so long, would they survive in the wild? Would we blame ourselves for their near extinction? Would the omnivore minority be making sensationalized propaganda ridden documentaries depicting the now wild animals suffering with disease, starving and dying that start with a close-up shot of a waif young animal standing next to its dying mother?
  • tryin2die2self
    Options

Yup.

I think it would depend on one's rationale for adopting pescetarianism.

If it is about thinking fish are somehow different from other animals (that they don't suffer as much as other animals do, for example), you would probably avoid dolphins and whales because they aren't exactly fish -- they're mammals who live in the water.

If it's about just wanting to eat things that live in the sea and not on land, sure.

That is why one of my questions was "anything in the ocean fair game". I would not think they would eat whales or dauphins (as they are mammals), but then they might. For instance I eat beef, but I don't eat veal. I don't truck with the whole idea behind caging a baby in a confined space, force feeding them milk and then slaughtering them for a certain price/taste of meat. I am an omnivore and an omnivore could technically eat anything. That said, I am a being with a moral compass and reason. So I pick and choose.

Again, I was looking to pescetarianism as a group of foods that are eaten, not the moral/ideological/cultural grounds behind it. Just want to become more informed. Not looking to judge.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Any seafood is fair game. Fish, shrimp, etc... I have tried full on vegetarianism but always fail. I feel healthier when I eat seafood and at least they don't pump it with hormones and torture it before it's up for consumption like they do chickens and cows etc.. It's just healthy to me. But to each their own. @snowflake954 I learned something new today as well. I didn't know this was Italian! Cool! @tryin2die2self I would say that's a matter of personal morals! LOL I would say most probably frown on eating dolphins and whales. And where in the heck would they eat a whale anyway?! Whaling is legal in the US? @janejellyroll that is true in lots of big cities. But not where I live. We don't even have a produce store within 20 miles for all I know of. @chunky_pinup lol