looked at my husband and he looks so ooooo fat!

Options
12346»

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Maybe he realises how you feel so comfort eats
    We all realise we don't look as good as we can when over weight
    Maybe he thinks he's not attracted to you anymore so doesn't care if he's overweight
    We don't see ourselves or hear ourselves maybe your showing him signs your finding him fat and unattractive maybe you drop hurtful hints
    All this none of us know but if you had a healthy marriage you would feel comfortable disgusting anything

On that note if he died tomorrow you'd feel his weight wasn't an issue its true I nearly died last year & your outlook changes
    Imagine losing him or if he read what you wrote & he left how does that feel if you imagine that ?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Maybe he realises how you feel so comfort eats
    We all realise we don't look as good as we can when over weight
    Maybe he thinks he's not attracted to you anymore so doesn't care if he's overweight

Maybe he's on the internet right now complaining to strangers about how shallow his wife has become. "She's lost weight and now all she cares about is her looks". :lol:

• BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Actually, yes. I've lost almost 50. He's gaining. Was recently diagnosed with diabetes and doesn't take care of himself. He's almost 100 lb more than me now. Idc about weight really, but he's killing himself. That hurts.
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am actually offended by this. If you can't have a talk with him about it, then what makes you think it's okay to talk about him behind his back? If you're not happy with the way he looks, then take charge of his nutrition and start making healthier meals.

Sometimes you need to vent. I have talked to mine MANY times. Many.

I am glad I'm not alone here.

My husband is killing himself with food. He's got type 2 diabetes, cholesterol issues, high bp etc.

Refuses to make changes. He's 33, we have 4 kids.... And he's choosing food.

Don't judge someone like me for venting to strangers about this.

• amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am actually offended by this. If you can't have a talk with him about it, then what makes you think it's okay to talk about him behind his back? If you're not happy with the way he looks, then take charge of his nutrition and start making healthier meals.

My husband is killing himself with food. He's got type 2 diabetes, cholesterol issues, high bp etc.

She's not like you though? Your husband has serious health issues caused by and impacted by weight. From the info she provided, her husband is healthy, active, and unaware that she has a problem with his weight. Also, when talking about your husband, do you tell people 'he looks soooooooo fat'? Your concerns are coming from a place of respect, hers are not.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    amclain93 wrote: »

She's not like you though? Your husband has serious health issues caused by and impacted by weight. From the info she provided, her husband is healthy, active, and unaware that she has a problem with his weight. Also, when talking about your husband, do you tell people 'he looks soooooooo fat'? Your concerns are coming from a place of respect, hers are not.

^^This.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My hubby has a belly not big but he looks good with it. Men are different than women. They can pack it on and loose it just as easy. He doesn't even have to try unlike women. The bigger picture is as long as he is happy and loves himself. You should talk to him about this and see how he feels and if he's on board with you. Then challenge each other. Don't discourage motivate. He may appriciate it. He may not realize he has a problem. Communication is the key.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    could you make scrumptious meals from the Weight Watchers recipe books

Scrumptious is a meaningless word, I hate that.
    I don't have a spouse or anything but my mom went through the same thing with my dad she actually switched foods out for healthy foods like if there was peanut butter she would put low fat peanut butter in the container without him knowing he did that with all of this food

Full fat peanut butter is not unhealthy.

Google 'Stephen Fry' and 'offended'. Saying you're offended doesn't entitle you to anything here.

This is as much internet silliness as I can tolerate on one page of the same thread.
    magerum wrote: »
    The best part is how people are offended for someone else. Let alone an internet stranger.

People love a bit of internet outrage.
  • jennyloie1
    jennyloie1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    NYactor1 wrote: »
    I can't believe I just spent 5 minutes of my life on this thread. I will never be able to get that time back.

I quit Facebook for this reason and now it's on myfitnesspal? Good God. I feel your pain.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless one has been in a long term relationship or marriage and is also relatively old, I think these concepts are impossible to grasp.
    I'm not sure how old you are saying one needs to be to have an opinion on this. I'm 53 and I've been in a 22-year marriage and am now in a 1-year-old one. A person in his or her 50s has a lot of years of sexual activity ahead and I don't think a lack of attraction is anything to sweep under the rug.

I am in my 40s so no, I do not mean 90 years old :) I mean just that some people replying who are e.g. 20, of course they cannot understand what OP is talking about. Because they have not experienced how a relationship progresses long term, and how caring for someone does not replace the need for some spark to be there. It is not enough to love your partner, you still need to feel attraction for a marriage to be happy. A 20 year old or someone with only brief relationships cannot understand this.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Dandelie wrote: »
    If you wouldn't say it to him, do you really think that it is okay to say it to someone else?

Rubbish logic.

Really? Having the compassion and respect for your spouse to discuss it with them personally instead of on a public forum is rubbish logic?

A public forum, same as discussing issues with friends or a therapists serves several purposes: it helps you practice how to phrase the problem, it helps you realise what is bothering you just by trying to express it, it helps get feedback and see how common or weird your feelings are, it helps put things into perspective, it helps get suggestions about how to approach the issue in real life. It is not that weird.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Karmc2k wrote: »
    On a happier note, have you ever looked at your SO, and like really saw them, and thought damn they look good. I was in the bank the other day and I'm happy to say, my husband walked in and I thought,'man, he looks good.' It was kinda cool. I can say that on the internet, right?

This is my favourite comment.
    My OH has gained 5 stone in under 3 years. He's 6'3 so he carries it off well. But still looks very chubby. Sometimes I look at him and think WOW, you're a really beautiful person.

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    pafmarwak wrote: »
    My husband and I have been married for 47 + years. We have been fat and thin together and healthy and not so healthy, together. I may tell him he is getting a gut and he may tell me that my butt really does look fat when I wear that pair of pants; but I would never bad mouth him on social media.

That's why you've been married 47+ years. That's quite an accomplishment.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    I don't think anyone is disputing the importance of being physically attracted to your spouse. But when you love someone, their other (non-physical) qualities can help you feel physically attracted to them, even when they gain a little weight or lose their hair or get wrinkles.

Maybe the OP wouldn't have gotten the comments that she got if she had also said, "He's my best friend/a wonderful, generous man/a great husband and father. I wish he would take better care of himself". But no. All she said was "He's soooooo fat. And I look good." Is that all that's important to her?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you wouldn't say it to him, do you really think that it is okay to say it to someone else?

Rubbish logic.

Really? Having the compassion and respect for your spouse to discuss it with them personally instead of on a public forum is rubbish logic?

A public forum, same as discussing issues with friends or a therapists serves several purposes: it helps you practice how to phrase the problem, it helps you realise what is bothering you just by trying to express it, it helps get feedback and see how common or weird your feelings are, it helps put things into perspective, it helps get suggestions about how to approach the issue in real life. It is not that weird.

So does writing it down in a Word document or journal - neither of which are public, then deleting it. Discussing something like this in a public forum is shameful for the OP and potentially embarrassing for her spouse. Further, it is a bright, neon sign pointing to a definite lack of trust within her marriage. She needs to focus on why she feels she cannot discuss the problem with her spouse, work on that, then, in a loving way, explain to her spouse why his weight is a concern for her.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is disputing the importance of being physically attracted to your spouse. But when you love someone, their other (non-physical) qualities can help you feel physically attracted to them, even when they gain a little weight or lose their hair or get wrinkles.

Maybe the OP wouldn't have gotten the comments that she got if she had also said, "He's my best friend/a wonderful, generous man/a great husband and father. I wish he would take better care of himself". But no. All she said was "He's soooooo fat. And I look good." Is that all that's important to her?
    Yeah, this struck me the wrong way, too.