Any short girls 5"-5.2", experience with weight loss.

Options
1235»

Replies

• nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 5'2" crew! Make sure to measure too! You may notice that the inches fall faster than the weight on the scale.
  • williamsge
    williamsge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    All your success stories give me hope! Thanks for sharing! :smile:
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    just keep at it, if ever u have cravings just stay within the maintenance calories. Mfp got it all for you.
  • RebeccaWilliams115
    RebeccaWilliams115 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also 5 1 :)

You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day, or your body will go into starvation mode.. Annoying, right?

I eat between 1300-1500 every day. Eating 1500 calories a day, 7 days a week will make you lose 1 pound a week.

If you want to lose more you need to exercise. I burn 3500 calories a week by going to the gym...

SO I've been losing 2 pounds a week every week, its been working out great for me.
  • Zouthx
    Zouthx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2. I've lost 10 pounds in a little over a month, but I'm a lot heavier than you. I've got about 100 more pounds to lose, so I can lose them faster. As long as the weight comes off you're doing fine. Slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'3" and I lost 40 pounds very, very slowly (took me about 10 years). I started at 165 at my highest and I'm about 125 now. I struggled to lose the weight and I still struggle not to gain it back. I felt it got "easier" when I really wanted to see results. I saw myself going to the gym more consistently and I made working out a priority; I scheduled everything else around it. I also measure my food and I found that I was losing weight when I actually calculated how much I was eating. Just be very patient and try to keep yourself motivated. What keeps me motivated is that I feel great after eating a meal with fresh ingredients rather than eating something processed. Also, personally, a 1200 calorie diet didn't work for me. I went up to 1500 calories and still lost weight. I also found that I was more successful in losing weight when I fluctuated my calories. I would have 1500 one day and 1700+ another day and get right back into it the next day.
    Just don't give up because a month or two from now you may regret not sticking to it. Also, make it a lifestyle, not a finish line. You're less likely to stress yourself out if you make it a routine thing than rushing to get to your goal. Best of luck with your journey, you can definitely do this, just set your mind to it!

Well I'm 5'1 and I started at 165 and I'm now 161 this Monday will be my third week. I really am trying to lose 2lbs a week in hopes or reaching between 135-145 (not sure what I want). I do the 1200 a day and am trying to get to the gym a few times a week. Anyone around my height struggling or succeeding? I guess I might be a little to hard on my self since its only been a little over 2 weeks but it can be frustrating considering how much I've cut down and how slowly its coming off.

Any one with progress pics? Tips?
  • iamihobo
    iamihobo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, 5'2" and I went from 189 to currently 146 with the intent to lose another 10 to 15lbs.
    I lost 30lbs on diet alone, getting to around 155lbs and got stuck.

jan2010nov2013.jpg

1200 is too little, you'll plateau on it soon. Your body needs more then that. I made the same mistake.

And I wouldn't get too worked up about the 2 weeks mark. It takes time to gain, it'll take time to lose. It takes 3 weeks for fat gain to happen so if you gain 2lbs in a week its most likely water.

You'll need lower carbs (notice I didn't say no carbs you do need carbs), higher protein, mid range fat and you need fiber. And I guarantee your water intake is too low as well. Never think you've had enough water.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and have yoyoed a ton in my life. After my kids were born I was weighing in around 135. I dropped 15 lbs fast by discovering I had a bunch of food sensitivities - dairy and corn were causing TONS of inflammation that made it hard to lose weight. After that I managed to lose the remainder of the weight by increasing my calorie intake to 1500-1700 cal (instead of starving myself at 900-1200 cal) and started lifting weights. I've been a cardio girl my whole life and the scale never moved - but now I eat lots of protein and healthy fruits and veggies and lift weights 4-5 days a week and I've dropped to 105 lbs and decreased my bodyfat a lot. I'm getting visible muscles and losing a lot of the squish - and I'm not talking big weights - I've got 10, 15, and 20 lb dumbbells and do basic lifts. Good luck on your journey!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1", 25 yr old mom. SW: 7/2013 167lbs CW: 128lbs. For the first 2 months I stuck to 1200 calories + working out at the gym a few days a week & lost 2lbs per week. Now I eat anywhere from 1250-1500 calories per day + workout at home (Yoga, Pilates, HIIT, bodyweight training) & lose .5-1lb per week. I'm pretty sedentary & this has worked for me. I do not use a food scale so I've probably been eating 200+ more calories than I think I'm eating & do not use a HRM so I'm not entirely sure how much I burn. Good luck!
  • lovelygurl61
    lovelygurl61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about intermitten fasting and I think Im gonna try now, I am at 178.6 and i wanna get down to 155. Well c:smile:
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1. Started at 130, am now 106. Yeah, weight loss was really, really slow, because my BMR is obviously lower than most people's, and I couldn't go below 1200. Still, you do lose, and you'll get there eventually. Exercising will help.
  • ldy_78
    ldy_78 Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm almost 5'3" with an athletic build and medium bone structure. My high weight was around 133 several years ago, and now I am down to 108. Mostly I have fluctuated between 112 - 117, but it hasn't been lean weight. I am pear shaped with a tendency to hold weight/fat on my abs and low body. Losing weight has been a slow and arduous process. Muscle resistance training really has helped me stay lean, as well as keeping the sugars and carbs in check. The silver lining is that weight may take a long time to lose, but a couple pounds makes a big difference on us little girls! Keep at it and you'll see results.
  • dsparks212
    Options
    I am 5'2 and I had major success, *and my own downfalls.

The are high's and lows to being short and losing weight but once you are serious about it you will notice the changes.

Good things, I learned...
    Strength training and learning how to tighten you're core will help keep you toned.
    Cardio like running, jogging* even walking alot will help burn calories. Stay active after a workout, you're body is still going a little bit extra. do dishes, make the bed. :]
    You get lots of complicates from the start.

Bad things i learned.
    - Loosing weight to fast can be damaging in more ways then one. That does not mean give up just change what/how you're doing things.
    - you "could" loose you're period.
    - People may be worried or make comments about you're weight loss
    - Workout out can make you really hungry. Learn how to not have cheat days and make it a smart lifestyle. Cheat days are nice sometimes but make them count (I know that sounds silly to some but habits like over eating, under eating and even binge can occur)
    - Count you're calories can be hard when eating out.
    - Don't drink you're calories if you can. Allot of smoothies/protein drinks have tons of things you don't necessarily need.

Advice: Raw food, veggies, less meat, LOT OF WATER. Stay active and goodluck
  • GrMaumPeggy
    Options
    5 ft, 63 yrs young, 172 weight this morning. Started MFP 15 days ago.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    4ft 11
  • tabithamcjunkin
    Options
    Wow, You should be very proud of yourself. I am 5'0 and i weigh 170 pounds. I am walking 4 miles a day and i start my fourth week this week. I know the hardest part for me with the exercise is just getting started and pushing myself.
  • tomoko89
    tomoko89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    so i just came across this site and i look like all of the before photos .... how did you all start? im having trouble just looking where to start please can you give me advice im all alone at this and feeel lost and embarassed for even asking but if i dont i wont know where to start CAN ANYONE HELP ????????????
  • Loddieconnor975
    Loddieconnor975 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    4ft 11
  • Standsfast
    Standsfast Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Another shortie here. I have step stools on every level of my house. It is refreshing to hear I am not alone in not losing "only" 7-8 pounds per month. I tell myself time will pass, and I would rather it pass with me getting smaller and not bigger.
    @tomoko89, don't panic :smile: Start reading this site and above all, persist!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!